TJ09

2017-09-30 - September Dragon Release

Just now, mouse050909 said:

Does that mean TCA is the one who sprited this dragon?? 

Look at the art credits on the raptor-looking guys. I'll wait :3

4 minutes ago, Vampyre said:

Its not about what the indiviual player wants. Its about what TJ wants and what the spriter wants.

Therein lies part of the problem with weird breeding mechanics. While it's a nice adventure for a little while, after some amount of time honestly the breeding mechanics should be revealed imo. There's only so much fun to be had in a mystery.

I digress, though. That's another topic for another day.

The greens look very... earth-y to me. It'd be kind of neat if they were summer/spring and the reds were fall/winter; the amount of sunlight hours they're exposed to influencing the egg to one color or another. Little bit more out there, it would be neat if they were somehow earthquake related. If there was a chance to bury them using the earthquake BSA and being devoid of light changed them into a sickly pallid green.. I'd be all for that.

But we can say whatever we want at this stage :P I could say they're only available at exactly midnight on one day a year and that's as valid a theory as any, I suppose.

19 minutes ago, raindear said:

Well it is POSSIBLE if not likely that both colors can hatch from the same egg.

No, it's not, since TJ had GREEN EGGS :P All his reds hatched from red eggs and all his greens hatched from green eggs.

The wording in the release post suggests greens also drop in the biomes the red do... so having all the hints and facts everything leads to a conclusion that it's soemhow time-based.

*Not day-night,

but there are also:

*the moons 

*seasons: either:

- fall&spring vs winter&summer (the exuinoxes vs solstices)

-fall&winter vs spring&summer (shortest days longest nights & coldest and the nature's fall VS the opposite of these)

-summer&fall vs winter&spring (warm-coloured seasons: yellow&red VS cold coloured seasons white/blue&green)

-fall vs spring (death/sleep vs birth and awakening OR red leaves vs green leaves; unavailable in winter and summer)

-month-based (like number of days: 31 vs 30, with February either switching between even and odd numbers or always counted as a month that has no 31st)

-etc. (the greened ones are sth we'd find out the soonest from what I listed, the rest woudl take at elast 2 full seasons for anyone to get the 1st green...)

*etc.

Edited by VixenDra

3 minutes ago, TCA said:

Look at the art credits on the raptor-looking guys. I'll wait :3

Oh... I never noticed that... :blush: 

Edited by mouse050909

24 minutes ago, Cinnamin Draconna said:

Just another reason to start HATING DC. I'm sick to death of weirdness and mystery. This used to be a really cool game, but the older it gets, the worse it gets.

I mean this extremely gently so please, I implore you, read this in a neutral tone:

If you are unhappy here, leaving might be the best thing you can do for yourself. If you genuinely hate this game, maybe move on, as an act of self-care. You deserve to spend your time on things that bring you joy. It's always been an option.

Someday I probably will quit, but I've stuck with it this long because I do still like the game, and I've been here longer than most. But some of us aren't that into fancy mechanics and would prefer things to be more straight forward. It's the same reason I TRADED for a Neglected, because I think the mechanic is annoying and frustrating. I play games to relax, so things that frustrate me are not wanted in a game that I play to relax. It's just my opinion which I am entitled to.. just like you are entitled to yours. But all this speculation is frustrating, annoying and boring, I'd rather wait and find out the TRUTH whenever TJ decides to enlighten us.

I feel like everyone is missing a possibility. What if the RED is the alt, not the GREEN? Like, say, if it's a moon mechanic, the moons are both full right now, making the RED the weird one.

Just now, Cinnamin Draconna said:

But all this speculation is frustrating, annoying and boring, I'd rather wait and find out the TRUTH whenever TJ decides to enlighten us.

I mean... you don't have to engage in the speculation if you find it unsavory? But calling people who find it engaging and fun to try to be a super sleuth and solve the mystery before the truth is revealed annoying/frustrating/boring really isn't needed D:

If it really upsets you so much, you could block everyone who has had a speculation post... that'd probably get rid of all the talk you didn't want to see for a long while. Or wait until the dragons have grown before coming back to the thread... then it'll shift to just talking about the sprites and thanking the artists. Then any speculation usually moves to a separate thread, so you should be safe.

1 minute ago, Cinnamin Draconna said:

Someday I probably will quit, but I've stuck with it this long because I do still like the game, and I've been here longer than most. But some of us aren't that into fancy mechanics and would prefer things to be more straight forward. It's the same reason I TRADED for a Neglected, because I think the mechanic is annoying and frustrating. I play games to relax, so things that frustrate me are not wanted in a game that I play to relax. It's just my opinion which I am entitled to.. just like you are entitled to yours. But all this speculation is frustrating, annoying and boring, I'd rather wait and find out the TRUTH whenever TJ decides to enlighten us.

Your expression of your fully entitled opinion makes my experience here just that little bit worse. I can understand feelings of frustration, but just know that the words you say can have a detrimental impact on other players - and us artists - so I encourage you to consider kindness. Your attitude is as unexpected as it is jarring. As a personal favor to me, would you consider reserving your judgement until some time has passed since the release festivities? TCA made something neat and I would love to see this thread filled with more eager speculation and celebration and less anger and bitterness. I'm happy for my friend, and I want this to be a positive experience for everybody else as well.

Thanks for your consideration.

Oops I missed this entirely? This is what 12 hr work days do to you, lol. Now I gotta go look up the egg descriptions.

IF the two colors hatch from the red eggs, we could know shortly after midnight tonight when they start hatching.

Ruled out because TJs greens came from green eggs.,

IF the two colors depend on time of day they hatch or were caught we will know before midnight tomorrow night.

If it were time we'd already know.

IF the green is bred from the red x whatever, or comes from a new BSA we'll know in a few days.

THIS !

IF the green egg is based on some other time or mechanic...Well if that happens I'm not sure WHEN we'll know.

God I hate this coding thing....

37 minutes ago, TCA said:

If you're getting that stressed and upset because I suggested a mechanic that didn't let everyone get both colors starting from day one and don't want to tell everyone immediately what it is, to the point where you're calling this a reason to hate the site, why are you still here? Let us have some fun, jeez. It completely ruins the fun of coming up with an interesting way to have two different versions of a breed if we just loudly announce exactly how to get it without letting people have a shot at figuring it out themselves. I ain't putting the solution to a mystery novel on the back cover.

Fair enough.

13 minutes ago, Cinnamin Draconna said:

I'd rather wait and find out the TRUTH whenever TJ decides to enlighten us.

On the whole, while I wouldn't RATHER, I am quite happy to.

It is NOT the art or artist that upsets me.. I never judge the art until I see the adults. There are only a very few.. less than 5.. dragons here that I actually dislike, and I've never said anything more than they are not to my taste. It's the forced RP i.e. the breeding mechanics that I hate.. NOT the dragons. The Lunars are some of the most beautiful dragons on the site, but I refuse to breed them because of the mechanics.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna
spelling

Yeesh, this turned into a bit of a ****show after I last checked, didn't it? Look, I get being frustrated over being unable to figure out how the mechanics for these eggs work, but harsh words, especially about something that people have worked extremely hard on because they thought the players would enjoy it, doesn't make things better - all you're gonna do is make staff, spriters and others think "If they're just going to complain, why bother?" Think about the spriters and concept-makers who did these eggs, what they'll be feeling on seeing all of this about their creations.

So instead of arguing and snipping at each other, how about we all just enjoy the eggs, hmm?

Edited by SheridanCharon

Breeding mechanics are hardly forced RP. I can think of several things that would be, but quirky breeding mechanics aren't it.

56 minutes ago, TCA said:

If you're getting that stressed and upset because I suggested a mechanic that didn't let everyone get both colors starting from day one and don't want to tell everyone immediately what it is, to the point where you're calling this a reason to hate the site, why are you still here? Let us have some fun, jeez. It completely ruins the fun of coming up with an interesting way to have two different versions of a breed if we just loudly announce exactly how to get it without letting people have a shot at figuring it out themselves. I ain't putting the solution to a mystery novel on the back cover.

Hmmm, that sounds like it'd be a mechanic that hasn't been done so far? 

Maybe it's connected to daylight saving time? The switch should be soon, no? (in Germany it's at the end of October, but I believe in North America it's earlier?) 

Though I have no idea how that would fit in the cave lore... 

Edited by TheDoggy

Since the breeding mechanics are based on the so called LORE of DC, that makes it RP. I liked the game much better BEFORE the 'lore' was introduced.

I hope we get abother cool breeding mechanic for these cute little dinosaurs. While I can fully understand how it might be frustrating, I personally adore all the weird breeding/catching mechanics. It adds aanother level of mental stimulation that I really enjoy, that isn't just 'can I click faster than everyone else' to catch an egg. (Of course, I always get a little thrill when I am the fastest clicker too!)

That said, I do think that after a good length of time has passed, the mechanic should be revealed. I enjoy a good sleuthing as much as the next guy, but eventually it gets frustrating not knowing how to get desired results. (Looking at you Luminas)

EDIT: the little raptor hatchlings are adorable dinosaurs and I'm going to hoard the heck outta them no matter what the adults look like I love them so much.

Also! I'm so glad we're getting more two-headed! I was just trying to figure out what to breed my Hooktalons and Baikalas with the other day! (Now to get a new drake to breed the Glaucus with XD)

Edited by Ninjakittee

1 minute ago, TheDoggy said:

Maybe it's connected to daylight saving time? The switch should be soon, no? (in Germany it's at the end of October, but I believe in North America it's earlier?) 

It doesn't make sense to me to have the reds come first if that's the case :c

I mean, I suppose there's nothing written anywhere that says FALL DRAGONS CAN'T BE GREEN but the greens look far more earthy and springy than fall...y. 

Just now, TheDoggy said:

For the sake of the fun of it, I don't want to say whether it's 100% new, reused from another breed entirely, or something that's an altered twist on an existing mechanic.

But also for the sake of the fun of it, nobody but TJ has a green new release dragon.

(Red text is always true. Reference to a visual novel I recently finished.)

i'm in the group that would much rather just have these be a bred alt than some super special 'keep track of the moon and hope to god you don't forget or go months waiting for th eright moon again' breeding mechanic

i honestly do not like those kind of super special things where i have to mark a note on a calendar saying 'okay breed them now because the moon is waxing gibbous'

I don't understand why people are getting upset about the idea of it being difficult to get one - it's more fun to have something to work towards rather than just being given it, at least in my opinion. I like all the new releases a lot and even if it takes a long time to get a green one, that just means I'll appreciate it more when I've got it.

1 hour ago, Cinnamin Draconna said:

Just another reason to start HATING DC. I'm sick to death of weirdness and mystery. This used to be a really cool game, but the older it gets, the worse it gets.

Then quit DC? 

Personally? I LIKE that TJ is taking the time to keep the site fresh and interesting and giving old users a bit of a challenge. If you want everything just handed to you then this isnt the site for you. Also I dont know why you expect everything to be handed to you? Life doesnt work like that....

I mean, I'm not too keen on any breeding mechanicthat takes a very long time to cycle (Seasonals are the worst for that), but just because you say that it's forced lore doesn't make it so. If the dragons were matching lore all the time like you imply with forced RP, Hybrids would be available in the caves and Holidays would be obtainable at least every year if not year-round.

If it really bothers you, you can just ignore them. Y'know, like you've been doing for the others.

5 minutes ago, TCA said:

For the sake of the fun of it, I don't want to say whether it's 100% new, reused from another breed entirely, or something that's an altered twist on an existing mechanic.

But also for the sake of the fun of it, nobody but TJ has a green new release dragon.

(Red text is always true. Reference to a visual novel I recently finished.)

So back to guessing. XD

Maybe the adults will give a hint. 

But I can already say, I adore those hatchlings very much! Thank you! <3

Man you know what would be really cute/sweet is if you had to breed one parent from the volcano and one from the desert in order to get the green one. Like their parents traveled so long and far to be together they met in some overgrown forest and raised their clutch there and BAM green eggs.