TJ09

2017-09-30 - September Dragon Release

Just saw the S2 hatchies - they are awesome! Generally, I'm not a big fan of two-headed or raptor-like dragons, but these I love. :)

As for breeding mechanics, I'm all for challenge and diversity. The game would stagnate if we only had breeds with the same mechanics again and again. I'm really grateful to TJ and all the artists for thinking of new and interesting features for new dragons.

Okay, I think I've got my strategy planned out. I grabbed three more reds a few hours ago, so I need three more purples to have seven of each. I have three eggs that will be hatched by the time I wake up in the morning, so I can get those three purples (hopefully, if the biomes cooperate). Then by 7pm tomorrow evening I'll have two more eggs hatch, and if I can resist the biomes long enough to breed my Lunars, I'll be able to get two more Silver Lunars before they change colors in a couple days. .... That's the plan. Let's see if I stick to it at *all*, lol.

I keep looking at my little s1 purple hatchie, he's so pudgy! I love that.

3 minutes ago, *Silver Fox* said:

How do you get the green egg?

Nobody knows yet, except for the spriter and TJ. And they're not telling.

Got my base two pairs of each of the purple and red babbies, but I'm probably going to get another pair of purple two heads. And then I'm going to hoard the little raptors because they're so frickin adorable!

2 hours ago, Gealach said:

As for breeding mechanics, I'm all for challenge and diversity. The game would stagnate if we only had breeds with the same mechanics again and again. I'm really grateful to TJ and all the artists for thinking of new and interesting features for new dragons.

This, so much. There are enough games where the mechanics stay the same, and that's fine, but I'm so glad DC keeps giving us unexpected things to discover. And there's always the option of trading for things you just can't get (without trading I wouldn't have any rare things because I'm terrible at catching XD ). 

I won't be particularly bothered if the new Green dragon version is only obtainable at certain times in the way the Lunar Heralds are - as long as we do get to know the mechanics of it, thus find out when we can get Green ones and when we can get Red ones. At least a cycle is a fixed thing and you can plan around it.

What I do not like is uncertainty and trying to figure out when you will get/have a much better chance of getting a particular colour of dragon. Life is far too shot to spend hours, weeks, months trying to

figure out a small part of a game that is meant to be fun. I know other people enjoy this aspect, me not so much.

Alts are quite, quite different as you just (as they say) 'pays your money and you takes your chance'. Yes, it can be jolly frustrating waiting to get an alt, especially if you have lineages involving them, but you know it's all about chance.

A specific time-cycle (as with the Lunar Heralds)  would actually be my preferred option when it comes to the new Red & Green versions of the dragon. But at the end of the day it's down to what TJ wants - no doubt we'll find out in due course.

Is anyone else having very stubborn purple-gold eggs?  Mine are at 3d 21h, fully cracked.

Edit:  Complaining worked.  :P

Edited by Gryphonic

When you're egg locked and wanna shove your foot in your mouth for being a dumb dumb and not checking the forums until after the weekend.

Maybe the greens come from abandoning the eggs. That would be sort of cool/not the most annoying mechanic ever.

These "dinosaur" hatchlings are so cute, I want an army of frozen ones. :wub:  (If the green ones can only be bred, there are going to be lots of "fails" on the AP, right?  :D )

Can't wait to see the adults of all the new dragons. I hope the new two-headed breed goes well with some of the older ones! :)

As for the glassy egg mystery, I guess they're either breeding like Stripes, or time-related?

Here's a table that compares existing alt mechanics with what I think we know about the new breed:

Spoiler

(I'm aware many of these are not what we usually mean by "alts", I'm just using the word for simplicity.)

alt-systems.png

Another whole day to wait before any of TJ's babies grow up! It always seems to take so long!

I don't really care too much about the mechanic of getting a green one as long as it doesn't take months of grinding to figure it out. (Luminas, do you hear me?) I kind of hope it is something new and different, just for fun.

Edited by purplehaze

6 hours ago, Gealach said:

I'm pretty indifferent to tweaks from the norm as long as they don't ruin things for those with any sense of completionism... and things like GoNs (too strict limits), Sinomorphs (no hatchies at all), single-genders that are also limited to 2 CBs, etc. cross that line to me, taking away from the game(honestly I think the game should have a huge warnign when you register that warns you that this game is NOT for completionists who need fixed patterns for their collections:P because there's a breed that is strictly limited to just 3, one with no hatchies and many with just 1 gender, and not all are available biome-born (etc.))...

I also wish the enraged Aegis would breed enraged hatchies^^;

Some are simply so much stress it's no longer fun like Lunars' release was when the Bronzes started dropping (no floods, I remember I didn't went to sleep for all night when they appeared - at least I could do that back then thanks to when students have holidays in here, soon sth like this will no longer possible to me - and yet I didn't catch my 2 that night...) and that overwhelming length of the release (whole month). (I still don't follow which moon phases make which colour but I no longer care now I have all my sets:P)

E.g. Celestials are indifferent to me now, but one thing that frustrates me is that there is no way to have both the ethereal and corporealised sprites on my scroll at once, as a completionist I have a feeling I'm missing sth (if they were keeping the corporeal form for 2 weeks no matter what, I could have 2 Celestial sets and just keep on switching the forms having one Corporeal and one Ethereal set on scroll all the time, just once one above the other and another time vice-versa, nothing missing & no doubles:P the way they are, the beautiful corporeal sprites is sth I have only for a few seconds...). So in the end I'm mostly indifferent about them.

And I'd appreciate if weird mechanics were always officially announced later(just covered with a spoiler formatting so those who wish to play discoverers and scientist can have thier fun) or at least confirmed someday... *looking at Luminas, it's been over a year and we never got any confirmation or other kind of reveal about their Light vs Dark eggs* Kind of "too much secrecy&mystery is too much"

But what still bitters me to the deepest was the Cer...Soulstone release... I've seen the "evidence" and really, to me it was not evidence yet... just some grounds to start accusations, but not proof. And secrecy was discovered to be broken? So what(I mean in the context of removing the already being released sprites)? Hardly anyone on DC saw the spoiler sketch before anyway..? The artist responsible should simply be blocked from future holiday releases so it doesn't reoccur in the future and so they are punished for breaking the contract, but players already had the sprites and sth like this is no reason to punish the players... And the removed sprites will be sth I'll forever miss. Seriously, because the leg looked like in one photo (ekhm... actually like in a billion of such, one could lay-over quite a few of legs of such posed photos if actually tried to "'proove' the impossible that the photos 'trace' one another"...) same for another leg and anothter photo(s) and because the artist had traced in the past years before(plenty of kids did that at least once, e.g.at school or sth when being shown a calque - it deoesn't mean they never grew out of it)... as if people never ever changed bad habits after they learned more either about it being bad(or disdained) and that they don't want to continue the bad anymore or learned the confidence and skill to draw without such tricks...  If the artist responsible really had to be punished, they could have been refused the SA of it instead (if actually proven of the accused tracing! not just strongly suspected:/) and, best, forced to remove the problematic parts and redo the outline of them while streaming the process (join.me should work for old laggy devices too) and THEN the decision whether to ban them from future releases or not could have come... If they were completely unable to make sth of the same reference accuracy level without tracing no matter how much time they spend trying to THEN it would be actual evidence. Because an artist CAN possibly be that good and be able to draw sth nearly exactly overlaying if trying to! It takes patience, measurements and a very well-trained eye + actual effort, but is not impossible - contrary to the way too popular belief, even if it's not a common skill... It all was based on a bias (of the artist's past, when they were probably too young or ignorant), not actual evidence... To me the mere fact they actually shown any references they actually used speaks for their capability of referencing... I strongly believe that a cheater such as a tracer would rather claim they had no references at all than show the very "reference(s)" they traced and just hand over an evidence against themselves... (still, not admitting to use references is stil no proof for tracing yet, there are artists who can work just form imagination and memory and nail it). Alse the lines on the sketch feel havign been corrected to me(not the insta-accurate, nor the trying hard shaky traced things normally are, I can even see some evidence of eraser having been used e.g. on the left thigh)...  Ehh...Really, anyways, too late, gone.

I really hope nothing like their release EVER happens again, no matter if it's the artist being actually guilty of a forbidden practice or just accused because their sprite was too good or sth while they're new among the released artists... I think I'll never stop feeling butthurt when thinking about it:(... Anyway... let's just not discuss on that one any more, this would became completely off-topic then.

The current release though, is still within indifferent to me (it's the typical "can't wait to see and for others to find out the mechanics for me! *pokes the calendar*"). If the greens are CB and won't flood, the release itself will become too stressful like Lunars XD If they got a limit (at least I know they do have hatchlings), the breed itself would be one of those who take away from the game to completionists like me.

Edited by VixenDra

I like the BSA theory, though I'm not holding my breath for it. It would be a fun mechanic and could make for some very cool lineages. 

Have there been any guesses for names of these?  I was just pondering stuffs and realised that the glassy ones might be Spinel dragons when I remembered that spinels can be red or green.  I am intrigued to find out how the green ones work - I like green.  :)

1 hour ago, Amazon_warrior said:

Have there been any guesses for names of these?  I was just pondering stuffs and realised that the glassy ones might be Spinel dragons when I remembered that spinels can be red or green.  I am intrigued to find out how the green ones work - I like green.  :)

Hmm, not a bad idea at all.  Spinels are good.

Well, for whatever reason the hatcheries don't seem to be giving as many views as usual to my ER new-release eggs. I expected they'd be hatched when I woke up, but nope. So I tossed them into a few ERs and have them open refreshing, it's been almost an hour now and only one of them has a big hole, none have hatched. I want to hunt for more!

Looking at TJ's hatchies, some of them should be grown by the time I wake up tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll be able to see the adults before work, I can't wait to see what they look like! I really hope the two-head retains that wonderful shade of purple.

6 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

Well, for whatever reason the hatcheries don't seem to be giving as many views as usual to my ER new-release eggs. I expected they'd be hatched when I woke up, but nope. So I tossed them into a few ERs and have them open refreshing, it's been almost an hour now and only one of them has a big hole, none have hatched. I want to hunt for more!

A couple of the hatcheries don't have working viewers right now - AOND and EATW. The two I usually use :(

10 minutes ago, Toyo said:

A couple of the hatcheries don't have working viewers right now - AOND and EATW. The two I usually use :(

EATW is having  some glitches, but does work most of the time for me.  AOND is going to be a while.

Edited by ainisarie

Just now, ainisarie said:

EATW is ahving some glitches, but does w0rk most of the time for me.  AOND is going to be a while.

Ooo, it is back for me too, now. Gonna go run it over and over until my things hatch. 

12 minutes ago, Toyo said:

Both worked for me... but EATW lately doesn't let me open my scroll's list and add, but after a while it lets me (I check after a few hours)

But true it took a while(at least 2h?).. .and I'd added to all ERs...

Edited by VixenDra