TJ09

2015-10-31 - Happy Halloween

Oh man. Such mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I adore the dragons themselves. I think they're incredibly awesome.

On the other hand... just because it's death-related doesn't make it Halloweeny and I honestly feel like these guys don't make a good Halloween species. They just don't look/feel like a Halloween species to me. I would've adored them without qualification as a normal release, but for Halloween... I dunno. Something just doesn't sit right.

If the highlights/accents were orange instead of gold that might've helped, or even silver or purple or some other even somewhat traditional Halloween color... or maybe if the skeleton markings were a lot more obvious... but as it is the combination of nontraditional color AND nontraditional design just makes it not feel very Halloween to me. Again, just because it relates to death doesn't make it Halloweeny, at least not IMO. Honestly I get way more of an Ancient Egypt vibe from these guys. Which, again, please don't misunderstand - the dragons themselves are completely kickass. But I also find myself feeling a little bit... maybe disappointed is the wrong word. Let down doesn't feel quite right either. But there 's definitely sort of an, "... Oh." feeling in there.

Which really makes me sad, because everything else about these beauties is exactly the sort of thing I adore. Antlers/antler-like horns. Gold-accented black. Deathly aspect. I'd've LOVED to see these as, like, a January or February dead-of-winter normal release, something to emphasize the darkness of the winter season, or perhaps in high summer as the sun bakes things to dry skeletons. In short, I see the death thing very strongly, but somehow it just doesn't translate to Halloween for me. I'm sure this is just a personal reaction on my part and probably not very common one, but FWIW it's how I feel.

This pretty much sums up my emotions about this release.

I'm thrilled to have another feather winged dragon. Can't have enough of those.

I get the Ancient Egypt vibe from them as well, and they remind me a bit of feathered Thestrals.

I love these. A lot. I'm surprised at the thought they are not Halloween-y. Maybe not in a cute way, but I think they totally are. What great dragons!

I love these. A lot. I'm surprised at the thought they are not Halloween-y. Maybe not in a cute way, but I think they totally are. What great dragons!

I agree, I think they're great dragons for the Halloween release! Red eyes, skeleton markings, creepy slender tail. Plus the colors do remind of Egypt, and Egypt has a bunch of creepiness with their mummies and pharaos!

The desipis weren't really halloween colored either, but they were perfect halloween dragons as well.

I'm thrilled to have another feather winged dragon. Can't have enough of those.

I get the Ancient Egypt vibe from them as well, and they remind me a bit of feathered Thestrals.

I got that Egypt vibe too. Thought it might just be me.

These dragon are very elegant in my opinion! I prefer the female sprite, I will totally love to collect more. However I can partially understand the feeling of those that don't see it as an "halloween" dragon due the lack of traditional colors and stuff.

I actually prefer more lore-friendly dragons rather than too obvious references to our holidays, even when it occours to celebrate the holiday itself.

This is Valkemare, not USA, not German, not Italy.... I agree to have a different halloween style for these guys wink.gif

1st of All- Yay the wall is back!

2nd of all- OH MY GoN THE ADULTS wub.gif

So elegant, and they don't have that same powerful aura as other dragons, they look like pure assassins

I got that Egypt vibe too. Thought it might just be me.

Oh me too! I'm not exactly sure for what reason, but it might have something to do with the colors or the patterns.

On the one hand, I adore the dragons themselves. I think they're incredibly awesome.

On the other hand... just because it's death-related doesn't make it Halloweeny and I honestly feel like these guys don't make a good Halloween species. They just don't look/feel like a Halloween species to me. I would've adored them without qualification as a normal release, but for Halloween... I dunno. Something just doesn't sit right.

If the highlights/accents were orange instead of gold that might've helped, or even silver or purple or some other even somewhat traditional Halloween color... or maybe if the skeleton markings were a lot more obvious... but as it is the combination of nontraditional color AND nontraditional design just makes it not feel very Halloween to me. Again, just because it relates to death doesn't make it Halloweeny, at least not IMO. Honestly I get way more of an Ancient Egypt vibe from these guys. Which, again, please don't misunderstand - the dragons themselves are completely kickass. But I also find myself feeling a little bit... maybe disappointed is the wrong word. Let down doesn't feel quite right either. But there 's definitely sort of an, "... Oh." feeling in there.

Which really makes me sad, because everything else about these beauties is exactly the sort of thing I adore. Antlers/antler-like horns. Gold-accented black. Deathly aspect. I'd've LOVED to see these as, like, a January or February dead-of-winter normal release, something to emphasize the darkness of the winter season, or perhaps in high summer as the sun bakes things to dry skeletons. In short, I see the death thing very strongly, but somehow it just doesn't translate to Halloween for me. I'm sure this is just a personal reaction on my part and probably not very common one, but FWIW it's how I feel.

I agree with this! I'm left feeling a little "Oh..." by them myself. So, I've decided to use mine to trade for scroll goals...Marrows and Shadow Walkers are the only Halloweens that I can say I really love to collect.

I could hardly agree less. Hallowe'en isn't ONLY about the gruesome. (Pumpkin, anyone ? xd.png)

I LOVE these - thanks, Infinis - you've outdone yourself as usual !

the adults are beautiful and they feel very Halloween to me (way more then the Graves)

I named one of mine Great Flying Bird of Death, don't know what I'll name the others or what I'm going to breed these guys to

I love the new dragons, they're very beautiful! Wish I had been able to collect more but I was egglocked by mistake and I loved the eggs I had so much that I didn't want to abandon them. Tried to hunt for more of the new eggs in the AP and I saw quite a few already but they went away so fast I had no chance of catching any. sad.gif

Have to add though that although I do like the new dragons very much I'd also be ready for a less gloomy but more colourful and happier looking Halloween sprite next year if you get what I mean. smile.gif

Guess I feel the same. Kinda tired of death/nasty meaning Halloween. They ARE stunning, just nasty and I don't feel like that means Halloween. Not that I want Marhmallow Peeps dragons.

Keeping in mind that Halloween is about dressing up as frightening things to scare off evil spirits, and not specifically about horror or orange and black or candy or what have you, these feel very Halloweeny to me. smile.gif Great job!

What is happening? Is it that laggy??

First it wouldnt let me kill eggs, hatchies and anyone else. The button wasnt responding even though I still had 4 tries. Now I cant name them. I enter a name, click the butoon, the arrow appears that the name is good but nothing else. It doesnt name the dragon and its pissing me off.

Guess I feel the same. Kinda tired of death/nasty meaning Halloween. They ARE stunning, just nasty and I don't feel like that means Halloween. Not that I want Marhmallow Peeps dragons.

Well, over here we don't celebrate Halloween that much, but the day after is he day we remember the people who have died. November 1 for the saints, November 2 for all the souls who have perished. keeping that in mind, death related dragons seem absolutely appropriate and correct.

Of course, going way back Halloween indicated the end of the harvest season.

Then finally, if you look at what Americans made of this, it is just a day about candy and dressing up.

So it really depends on what angle you look at this. From my angle, I think it's beautiful and perfect.