TJ09

2015-10-31 - Happy Halloween

Well, over here we don't celebrate Halloween that much, but the day after is he day we remember the people who have died. November 1 for the saints, November 2 for all the souls who have perished. keeping that in mind, death related dragons seem absolutely appropriate and correct.

Of course, going way back Halloween indicated the end of the harvest season.

Then finally, if you look at what Americans made of this, it is just a day about candy and dressing up.

So it really depends on what angle you look at this. From my angle, I think it's beautiful and perfect.

Agreed. We do not celebrate Halloween here as well and just go to visit our loved ones who have passed away, to light a few candles. I definitely think the way these dragons ended up is perfect and I love their design a lot~

Edited by Ryuuka-chan

Not that I want Marhmallow Peeps dragons.

Honestly, if that was a real dragon I would like to have 50 please xd.png

Oh wow. The new dragons are lovely *.*

I do love these, they weren't as strange as I thought they might look when seeing the hatchlings. Not bad! I won't be collecting a lot of them, but I can say I don't mind them, and that's coming from someone who isn't particularly a fan of most halloweens besides Shadow Walkers. They are quite nice! Great job to all the spriters who worked on them! ^.^

i tried to dissect a little more into why we think Egyptian with these. besides the black/ gold theme.

one because the color pattern on the wings resembling how some Egyptian images are.

image 1

although you can argue this is just how all wings are made/ layered.

the hatching poses resemble a sitting sphinx.

sphynx

the gold around there necks, especially on the female. looks like a sectioned gold necklace.

gold 1

gold 2

this mite be a little out there, but the males horns resemble how anubuses ears form from his head.

anubus head

and also they resemble a black egyptian hound

user posted image

Edited by reddof-f6

They do look Egyptian! I got the sphinx pose feel from the hatchlings, I didn't really get the more prominent Egyptian feel until now. But I do see that Egyptian style...

Guess I feel the same. Kinda tired of death/nasty meaning Halloween. They ARE stunning, just nasty and I don't feel like that means Halloween. Not that I want Marhmallow Peeps dragons.

I want Marshmallow Peep dragons please.

Oh man. Such mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I adore the dragons themselves. I think they're incredibly awesome.

On the other hand... just because it's death-related doesn't make it Halloweeny and I honestly feel like these guys don't make a good Halloween species. They just don't look/feel like a Halloween species to me. I would've adored them without qualification as a normal release, but for Halloween... I dunno. Something just doesn't sit right.

If the highlights/accents were orange instead of gold that might've helped, or even silver or purple or some other even somewhat traditional Halloween color... or maybe if the skeleton markings were a lot more obvious... but as it is the combination of nontraditional color AND nontraditional design just makes it not feel very Halloween to me. Again, just because it relates to death doesn't make it Halloweeny, at least not IMO. Honestly I get way more of an Ancient Egypt vibe from these guys. Which, again, please don't misunderstand - the dragons themselves are completely kickass. But I also find myself feeling a little bit... maybe disappointed is the wrong word. Let down doesn't feel quite right either. But there 's definitely sort of an, "... Oh." feeling in there.

Which really makes me sad, because everything else about these beauties is exactly the sort of thing I adore. Antlers/antler-like horns. Gold-accented black. Deathly aspect. I'd've LOVED to see these as, like, a January or February dead-of-winter normal release, something to emphasize the darkness of the winter season, or perhaps in high summer as the sun bakes things to dry skeletons. In short, I see the death thing very strongly, but somehow it just doesn't translate to Halloween for me. I'm sure this is just a personal reaction on my part and probably not very common one, but FWIW it's how I feel.

i feel the same, i get a more Egyptian theme then not Halloween. i don't mind the deathly theme, but my issue is i didint even see the bone markings till after i read the description.

"reinforced by the skeletal markings on their bodies."

me: skeletal markings, where?

on closer in inspection i finally saw them, but i thought they looked more like white highlights or something, not markings.

I want Marshmallow Peep dragons please.

i think someone was with pygmy's for Easter somewhere in the dragons request section. or at least a marshmallow themed pygmy.

Edited by reddof-f6

Am I the only person who immediately thought these guys would make an awesome lineage with Snow Angels?

they do look like the opposite of what the angels are, would be a nice linage of life/ death. :3

same with the white dragons.

We don't celebrate Halloween here either, we also have the Day of All Saints as others have mentioned, which is the day we honor our dead loved ones. We go to their tomb, place some candles and even place candles at home to honor all the saints. It's all very private and solemn to be honest, so these guys sound totally appropriate.

That said, I was a bit sad I didn't get to see werewolf this year either. I love werewolves and we have zombies, vampires and even ghost like already, so I was hopeful that we'd get a werewolf dragon at some point. With the moons being about, I was specially hopeful but... Some day.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE these guys. They look amazing. I love desipises and now these are on par with them. So, thank you very much, spriters and TJ for the awesome Halloween. biggrin.gif

Pretty sprite! I'm a little more into the hatchlings, so I can't wait till next year to bred some and freeze.

Also -- hazzah for AP! X3 managed to nab a few more of my favs!

Wow! The adults are awesome! Very regal-looking!

Fantastic job, Infinis!

Thanks again TJ and all spriters, for the Funtastic and Spooktacular Halloween Events!

Oh, these guys are definitely my favorite Halloweens now *o*

They are even cooler looking then Desipis dragons.

Someone need to give spriter a big jar of cookies

Edited by Mannimarco

I love the new adult sprites...except the eyes seem a bit too, I dunno big.

I don't know how to explain it but solid red and black and such a wide eye makes them less appealing.

I'm sure i'll forget about it and they'll grow on me in a few days, just like the lunars did.

Edited by Creeq

It's the first time I missed to catch new eggs. :-( Is there still any chance to get one?

they do look like the opposite of what the angels are, would be a nice linage of life/ death. :3

same with the white dragons.

I think I'm going to start that lineage this year, while finding other mates as well. White would be interesting too😃

It's the first time I missed to catch new eggs. :-( Is there still any chance to get one?

Some people were dropping them to the AP on Halloween, so you may find one there. Also people are trading and gifting, so check out the trading forum.

Still another batch of beauties this year.... Thank you all so much. smile.gif

I believe that Halloween, and all the events surrounding it, is my favorite holiday here at Dragon Cave. There is so much to do and it goes on and on... Even now, I just picked up three very nice Black Marrow eggs this morning and I plan to bump one of the regular hatchies I picked up yesterday to try to catch one more.

Such fun! biggrin.gif .

I'm going to keep hoping for gryphons, myself, lol.

I had a gryphon dragon concept that people were working on, but it got deleted for some reason.... AGAIN.

Edited by DragonNeko

These really aren't my cup of tea, but I'm glad a lot of others love them, and that they add more interesting lineage possibilities to the breeding pool.

Oh my goodness, just saw the adults and they are spectacular!

Thank you so much for the new dragons and for all the fun Halloween events, TJ, spriters, and event organizers! I had a great time this year.

And I can't wait for these spooky critters to grow up on my scroll.