TJ09

2015-10-07 - Sprite Update (round one)

Woah, I am loving these updates sprites. Can't wait to see the Silver one, too. Great job, artists.

I'm really nervous about the Silver updates now. I mean, in my opinion, we've got one REALLY nice, slight change with the Hollys, that really made it better without taking away from the overall look. We've got the new Horse male, which is freaking *awesome*. And then we've got the Nilia, which is...... Completely different from the original and kinda... floppy? And just kinda weird. So... nervous about the Silvers.

And it's not YOUR work either, so you don't really have much of a say in this. You are entitled to your own opinion, but it is rude to intentionally bash someone about something that they worked hard to accomplish. The artists that created the old sprites have given permission for the update so I don't see what the problem is here? I think the new updates are amazing.

^^^^

They're just giving their opinion, which they're entitled to. Saying "I like the graphic but in my personal opinion the original sprite isn't theirs and shouldn't have been altered" isn't bashing by any reasonable definition. Saying 'You're a bad artist and the sprite sucks' would be bashing.

Always loved the 2007 Christmas Dragons as with many of the originals.(quirks and all) Thank you artists for taking that into consideration with the updates. Well done. smile.gif

Members by the way , it appears some of you have forgotten to attack the topic not each other. I strongly suggest you do so.

Edited by _Z_

I LOVE the new horse and Nilas they're amazing looking. Must hoard more Horses though, the hollies look like they'd pair even better with reds, so now I need to find someone who will breed me a 2nd gen hollykin ( thinks to self if they'd do it for a 3rd gen prize dragon)

They're just giving their opinion, which they're entitled to. Saying "I like the graphic but in my personal opinion the original sprite isn't theirs and shouldn't have been altered" isn't bashing by any reasonable definition. Saying 'You're a bad artist and the sprite sucks' would be bashing.

Excuse my wording, I meant to say something about what they said previously:

Maam.. alien.. Vulcan.. whatever..

That's not a very nice thing to say.

Also, the way they said "understand?" is very demeaning. Even If I can't hear the tone of voice they're using since they're online I'm pretty sure they're not respecting the spriter in any way.

Since my OWN opinion is that I really like the updates, I'm sure I'm entitled to that too, no? smile.gif

Personally, I think the update to the hollies is wonderful--keeping the spirit of the sprite while making the anatomy more natural-looking and the shading cleaner. I also love the new male horse sprite; he looks so fierce! I was never really much into collecting nilias, so I don't have much of an opinion on that one.

I think if the silver sprite updates are in the same vein as the holly update--nothing too drastic, but just tweaks--then I will be a very happy camper.

FINALLY Holly's get a fix! Thank you for that. biggrin.gif Also I liked the horse sprite before, but eh, I absolutely LOVE the wild look it now. smile.gif

Nice work by the artists involved...they all look much better to me. Find it interesting how much better the holly looks with minimal changes, a little shading tweak goes a long way.

Hatchlings are nice too...

Edited by Ashywolf

All of the new sprites are awesome!

I will have to get many more Nilias - I like them even better with the dimorphism added.

The Holly sprite looks a lot cleaner and less 'clunky' then it did before. And I like that it's a bit bigger and lighter. I can the details better! Not that I didn't like the previous sprite, but it was just a little bit dark for my taste.

The new male Horse is AWESOME. I really like the wild mane. I would have liked a little bit of an update for the female, as well, maybe a little bit of a fluffier mane. I'm happy with the update, anyway, since I wasn't so much of a fan of the Horse sprites before. (I may have to collect a few extra males. That mane is epic. xd.png)

I'm definitely liking this update so far!

EDIT: The more I stare at those Horse sprites, the more both are growing on me...

Edited by StormNSnowflake

Now the old horse looks boring compared to its dimorphic partner. XD It's very pretty but I kinda wish the other pose was also a little more dynamic now. The new sprite is definitely going to change some lineages. However, it will also give us a lot of new beautiful lineage options.

Which is hilarious because I miss the original pose of the nilia pygmies, which were my favorite pygmies. The new pygmies are, of course, lovely and I can tell how much Cort has improved since spriting the originals. But I do miss the look of the old one. I had not pictured the nilia necks as so snake-like (although I can totally see that the necks are that long in the original). I also miss the bigger wings and smaller sprite size. Thank goodness these lines still look lovely. I'm not sure they would have transferred quite as well if I'd done male nilias. Maybe I'll have to test and see! (I do wish I'd taken screenies of what the old lines looked like, though so I could compare side by side.)

The hollies are nice. It doesn't really affect me much since I still haven't caught one holly and the two I have been gifted (which I love!) are both messy, so I only breed them on request.

Interested to see the surprise sprite updates. I hope some of the old hatchie base sprites (vines, reds) get updated to be unique. =p

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I'm very neutral about the updates.

Neither YAY nor NAY.

*Shrugs*

Just ... don't care about them. ._.

Please leave the modding to the mods. If someone is disrespectful, please report them. Otherwise, issues with another user need to be worked out in private.

I don't believe THAT dragon should have been touched. It is not YOUR work..

Any art that is updated or changed and added to the cave is art that has permission to be touched by whoever is touching it. Sometimes even when an artist does updates, they are in communication with the original artist about it, even if the original artist no longer hangs around DC. ^^

Loving all of the changes . . . I think the Nillia's are going to look fantastic with the Magelight's now wink.gif They even seem to look at each other wub.gif (starts breeding)

Edited by dragondoodle

I definitely like the changes, but I am still upset that Silvers are going to change. At least, I hope it's only adults, like these. The babies just have to stay, they're my favorites!

I like the head movement on the Holly especially--makes it easier to look at.

I think the Nillia's are going to look fantastic with the Magelight's now

I was just sorting my dragons and came here to edit my first post to say that. I was bummed they didn't go as well together when magelights came out because I love being able to do checkers of my favorite breeds. I'll have to do some new lineage previews and check it out. =3

I should have taken screenshots of my lineages before the changes. I'd better do that with the Silvers before it's too late xP

Can't wait for the silver update though smile.gif

I don't like the new Nilias. The female in particular is far too snakelike, it's a lot uglier than the old one. They're weird little flying snakes now, with overly-long necks that bend at an odd angle.

Edit: I guess it's only fair to give an opinion on the other 2. For the Holly, I liked the old wings, they felt kinda like crinkled wrapping paper. Overall though, I don't mind it too much. Weird old sprite before, weird old sprite now with better head placement. For the Horse, it's not a bad sprite and the female still has the old look, but I hate horses for personal reasons so I'm pretty neutral on the dragon from the start.

Edited by BlindWolf

Then I'm one of the few who thinks new nilias are better. I just love that serpentine look. It's more dynamic and elegant than the old one.

Any art that is updated or changed and added to the cave is art that has permission to be touched by whoever is touching it. Sometimes even when an artist does updates, they are in communication with the original artist about it, even if the original artist no longer hangs around DC. ^^

I don't think they were saying that birdz didn't have the right to update the holly sprites; they just didn't personally care for the fact that it was changed. The idea of the matter, not the work itself.

Edit: I like the new Nilia's too! Serpentine dragons are great, and I like that the female looks a bit like the skywing in her lineage view now. ^^

Edited by Tehya Faye