TJ09

2015-10-07 - Sprite Update (round one)

I think my biggest issue with the female nilia is that no matter how I look at it, her neck is nearly 1.5 times as long as the male's. And it's not a trick of angles. It's that odd dip. The pixel count in her neck makes her look like she's a totally different species with the exceptions of the skull's design and the overall sprite coloration.

The skulls of the two dragons are identical (they're simply reflected), but the female's body (especially her legs) are much longer. Taking the sprites to a graphics program and counting pixels proves this, so it's not a trick of the eyes. The wing difference can be attributed to the angles the wings are at, but the dimensions of the rest of the body can not. A bit of consistency between the two sprites (as in both of them having the same overall dimensions) would be appreciated. Once more, they look like different species.

With the male, lifting his back up to where the weird two pixel hump near the base of his neck would have helped him retain that delightfully 'heavy' look the nilias used to have. (Also that pixel hump looks strange.)

Plus those lanky, shiny, skinny pygmies look so odd next to their adorably chub hatchlings. :/

While the nilias aren't bad, they are considerably different between male and female. Certainly the size difference between the two dragons should be noted in the dragon's description if it's intentional - as it's not, I don't believe this is an intended result.

Horse is awesome, but it's a drastic change that affects lineage views. Still, I like it even if it is rather busy. The sprite's still easily recognizable as the same species.

I certainly hope that the silvers are more like the holly update and not the nilia and horse update.

new sprites are lovely (that horse <3)

but i am going to miss the original nillia bab ;A;

(would have liked an option to keep or change)

but for the silvers hopefully we'll have the option like with pinks

Horse is ok, Holly looks ok-ish, but I don't feel that change has changed or improved much, Nilia... umm, I am not feeling it. I personally think this is worse version of this dragon and I would prefer old ones. This make me nervous about silvers, because uh, Nilias are looking strange, different from other pygmies and like they don't belong to same species. Oh well, I don't think I have one and frankly I don't think I will collect one in future.

But horse is really ok, minor changes, look maaaanly and I hope it doesnt ruin noone's lineage.

Edited by Imogen aen Corvo

Can I also just mention how much I love the fact that Birdz kept the original satin-y sheen of the Hollies? I never expected someone to do so well on them <3

I like the new holly but I will admit i think i'm going to miss the little chard wings and tail a bit. mmmm soup! tongue.gif

I think my biggest issue with the female nilia is that no matter how I look at it, her neck is nearly 1.5 times as long as the male's. And it's not a trick of angles. It's that odd dip. The pixel count in her neck makes her look like she's a totally different species with the exceptions of the skull's design and the overall sprite coloration.

The skulls of the two dragons are identical (they're simply reflected), but the female's body (especially her legs) are much longer. Taking the sprites to a graphics program and counting pixels proves this, so it's not a trick of the eyes. The wing difference can be attributed to the angles the wings are at, but the dimensions of the rest of the body can not. A bit of consistency between the two sprites (as in both of them having the same overall dimensions) would be appreciated. Once more, they look like different species.

With the male, lifting his back up to where the weird two pixel hump near the base of his neck would have helped him retain that delightfully 'heavy' look the nilias used to have. (Also that pixel hump looks strange.)

Plus those lanky, shiny, skinny pygmies look so odd next to their adorably chub hatchlings. :/

While the nilias aren't bad, they are considerably different between male and female. Certainly the size difference between the two dragons should be noted in the dragon's description if it's intentional - as it's not, I don't believe this is an intended result.

Horse is awesome, but it's a drastic change that affects lineage views. Still, I like it even if it is rather busy. The sprite's still easily recognizable as the same species.

I certainly hope that the silvers are more like the holly update and not the nilia and horse update.

The female is actually intended to be larger. The question came up earlier in the thread.

The female is actually intended to be larger. The question came up earlier in the thread.

To add to this post here's a thread full of Nilia information for anybody who hasn't had a chance to read it yet. It explains the heavy egg too, which some questioned earlier. ^^

Edited by Tehya Faye

I don't think they were saying that birdz didn't have the right to update the holly sprites; they just didn't personally care for the fact that it was changed. The idea of the matter, not the work itself.

I do understand that. However, as birdz had permission, they DID have the right. Since their post said "you didn't have a right", I was just pointing out that they did actually have the right to do so. As well, I mentioned about some artists communicating with the original artists because that means that the updates are being checked that they still stay in line with the original idea for the art.

I am not sure if birdz was personally in communication with Silvanon, but I believe some udpaters were. ^^

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I really love the new male Horse sprite. The only thing that bugs me about it is that the wings look like they are shorter than the female's. Considering the mane and feathering on the legs are longer than the female's, the wings should have appeared so in my opinion too, or at least be the same length. Shame there is only so much space to show the dragon's features. Still glad to have the male sprite though. It's my fav pose.

I do understand that. However, as birdz had permission, they DID have the right. Since their post said "you didn't have a right", I was just pointing out that they did actually have the right to do so. As well, I mentioned about some artists communicating with the original artists because that means that the updates are being checked that they still stay in line with the original idea for the art.

I am not sure if birdz was personally in communication with Silvanon, but I believe some udpaters were. ^^

Ah, okay. That makes sense. :3

To add to this post here's a thread full of Nilia information for anybody who hasn't had a chance to read it yet. It explains the heavy egg too, which some questioned earlier. ^^

Thanks for the link!

Now that I've slept on it and looked at the new Nilias again, I found that I like the male sprite, it's cute and looks a lot like the original, only in a slightly different pose, but it'll take additional time to for me to get used to the female sprite. I agree with Wends, the limbs of the female look pretty long for a body of her size, especially comparing it to the limbs:body proportions the male has. Or my eyes are just messing with me... tongue.gif Sprites that have been a part of my scroll for so long (a Horse dragon has been among my very first batch of eggs I picked up from the AP when starting this game) have a special place in my heart, I've been studying them and picking nice mates for them in my lineage projects, and so I tend to notice (and comment on) things that I would let slide in a regular new release. :3

I am grateful to all spriters involved, overall this update has brought many improvements and you did a really good job, I'm eagerly anticipating the Silver update, looking forward to seeing some awesome spriting!

RE: Nilia's.

First of all, thank you for all of the crit! I say that seriously and without sarcasm. I'm glad to see that people care enough that they see things that still need fixed. I know that as an artist I still have room to grow. smile.gif

There are two things I'd like to address -

-

1) The sprite went through weight loss

Yes it's true! And this is due to my original intentions of the breed. The original sprite was done when my spriting skills were much more primitive and I was unable to get the look I wanted. I like to thing of them like kittens - lanky, fast, a bit awkward, thin, kittens.

2) The female is bigger/longer

Once again true! This is also intentional. In Nilia's their dimorphism is a bit more extreme than other breeds. The females are always bigger and longer (which you can see in my thread about them and probably on the wiki). It's been that way since the beginning and I wanted the sprites to show that.

This isn't me being RAWRspriter® but just me trying to explain some of the changes.

First of all, thank you for all of the crit!  I say that seriously and without sarcasm.  I'm glad to see that people care enough that they see things that still need fixed.  I know that as an artist I still have room to grow.  smile.gif

-

Yes it's true!  And this is due to my original intentions of the breed.  The original sprite was done when my spriting skills were much more primitive and I was unable to get the look I wanted.  I like to thing of them like kittens - lanky, fast, a bit awkward, thin, kittens.

Once again true! This is also intentional.  In Nilia's their dimorphism is a bit more extreme than other breeds.  The females are always bigger and longer (which you can see in my thread about them and probably on the wiki).  It's been that way since the beginning and I wanted the sprites to show that.

This isn't me being RAWRspriter® but just me trying to explain some of the changes.

I absolutely adore them now, but I've always been fond of scrawny little dragons anyway :'D

Thanks for making such great contributions to the site <3

First of all, thank you for all of the crit! I say that seriously and without sarcasm. I'm glad to see that people care enough that they see things that still need fixed. I know that as an artist I still have room to grow. smile.gif

-

Yes it's true! And this is due to my original intentions of the breed. The original sprite was done when my spriting skills were much more primitive and I was unable to get the look I wanted. I like to thing of them like kittens - lanky, fast, a bit awkward, thin, kittens.

Once again true! This is also intentional. In Nilia's their dimorphism is a bit more extreme than other breeds. The females are always bigger and longer (which you can see in my thread about them and probably on the wiki). It's been that way since the beginning and I wanted the sprites to show that.

Thank you Corteo for the lovely sprites, and for your clarification on which changes were made, and why. Now that I know the reasons, I will come to like the new Nillias. I will miss the old sprite, it reminded me of a kitten that was about to snuggle next to something.

-

Thank you for noticing what we say and for the clarification - that's very nice of you!

However, if you don't mind me asking - were the female's neck and back meant to be as serpentine as that? Or was that unintentional?

I like the Holly update best although the old sprite didn't bother me in the least.

No fan of the other changes so far. Maybe they will grow on me, but the new Nilias look too serpentine for my taste (like miniature Skywings) and the new male Horse like my little pony trying a little too hard to look wild... Oh well. I do appreciate the spriters' efforts and I would like to thank Corteo for reacting in such a positive way to our criticism and providing additional details about the Nilias. Actually, the old sprite had always reminded me of a kitten (the adult one, the hatchlings not so much).

The new female Nilia Pygmi looks so horrific and with a broken neck sad.gif Completely dislike the new sprites... the old one looked so cute sleep.gif The male one is alright but the eye spot is a bit weird...

Glad that they are pygmies with which I don't personally bother doing lineages or breed them at all :L

*But seriously ~ why not keep the old Nilia adult sprite for one gender like we did with horse?

The Holly improvements are wonderful happy.gif

I also like the new male horse ~ his head reminds me of a laughing witch ~ so perfect for Horrortober xd.png

Edited by WoLfgIrLyS

Yeah the female Nilia is...weird and broken seeming. Her neck is so LONG compared to the male's. I loved the Nilias so this makes me sad :c The male is nice though~

Love love love that male Horse, and the Holly is very nice. Need to collect them both.

*But seriously ~ why not keep the old Nilia adult sprite for one gender like we did with horse?

Because we did; the new male is an updated version of the original, if you look more closely. The body and tail only underwent minor anatomy pokes, and a little bit of shading/line smoothing. Mostly, the wings and neck were edited to be more dynamic and better portray the pose.

C:

Because we did; the new male is an updated version of the original, if you look more closely. The body and tail only underwent minor anatomy pokes, and a little bit of shading/line smoothing. Mostly, the wings and neck were edited to be more dynamic and better portray the pose.

C:

I dunno, pretty significant 'pokes' if you ask me. tongue.gif

Personally, I would have liked to keep the original nilia as the female and just have the new male one. I've always really liked the old nilia sprite and I'm disappointed to see it go.

Loving the new horsey, though! Really cool pose. biggrin.gif

Personally, I would have liked to keep the original nilia as the female and just have the new male one. I've always really liked the old nilia sprite and I'm disappointed to see it go.

Loving the new horsey, though! Really cool pose. biggrin.gif

I second this.

(one of the sprites could be flipped to make the two more different. The old nillia could be the male and the new male the female if the female needs to be 'longer')

Love the changes on the 2007 Christmas Dragons! Looks a lot better now^^

And the male Horse dragon pose looks awesome! ohmy.gif Going to need to get more!XD

The Nilia changes i'm going to have to get use too....I really liked the old pose, the new male pose is ok but the female looks more scary then cute