TJ09

2015-10-07 - Sprite Update (round one)

It's already been changed, and in a way that many people seem to agree was a respectful homage to the original.

I was just giving one opinion... I think I have that right Sir

We'll just have to wait for the new Silvers to really discuss it further. What I'm really curious about are the surprise updates; hopefully those are pretty awesome.

I agree so much that it hurts biggrin.gif

BTW you guys are such a disappointment... After reading all the "sky will fall" responses on the initial announcement about updates, I was selfishly rubbing my hands, expecting to easily catch a bunch of Holly eggs. Guess not sad.gif

At least I'm out of the hunt so that makes your chances better.

My 2g Thuwed Holly has never looked better. Birdz is da best.

Agreed. c:

I only have one Holly, but I am putting getting more as my top priority for Christmas on DC this year.

At least I'm out of the hunt so that makes your chances better.

Excellent. I'll be sure to scoop up your portion of the pretties. n_n

Excellent. I'll be sure to scoop up your portion of the pretties. n_n

Nah. That's mine, I saw it first tongue.gif

Not really a fan of the nillia update - they're nice, but I feel the female is a completely different dragon - not the old nillia. Like some kind of snake or other creature which hasn't got the kind of spine most dragons have. And the holly hatchies - I'm sorry but I just don't like the new ones. sad.gif The adult holly I liked the old style more, though I guess it does look more real now. I guess they're both OK though.

The horse though I really like! smile.gif

Good job spriters, either way.

Edited by MessengerDragon

Well daaang. I was hoping you all would hate the holly update. More for me! Personally, I think all the updates are fantastic. Birdz, you dun good on mah shiny hollies. LadyLyz's horse fellow looks fierce and noble. Nilias are way more dynamic than they used to be.

bring on the updates, TJ! So far they look great.

I was just giving one opinion... I think I have that right Sir

*ma'am

Also, sure, you can, but to say an update to the Holly is a "slap in the face" is kind of... I don't know, harsh.

I'm the person who took the opportunity to poke the Holly sprite(s), and I know how important they are to many people (including myself, seeing as though it's one of my favourite dragons). Updating the Holly or the Silver or any other rare old dragon is already a risky (and stressful) situation in and of itself, and with that in mind, I kept it as close to the original as I possibly could.

The artists doing the updates aren't doing anything to "slap" DC's history in the face... if anything, it's quite the contrary.

You're free to have your opinion though, that's fine-- but others are also free to disagree with it, just as Odeen has.

If it means anything to you, I'm sorry that the Holly update made you feel that way. I hope you're able to grow to like it in time, or at least be neutral about it. Just know that I did it because I adore the Holly Dragon.

---

Outside of that, I'm really glad so many people seem to like the updated Holly ;v;! I was really scared that people would hate it, so this comes as a relief.

*pelts marri with floofs* wow u have 2g thuwed hollies and all i have is... a potato, probably.

Edited by birdzgoboom

Maam.. alien.. Vulcan.. whatever..

Nice. Not.

@birdzgoboom: thank you so much, fantastic job!

Edited by NotBambi

Maam.. alien.. Vulcan.. whatever..

Intentionally misgendering someone is unkind and not terribly productive to our discourse here. ): Please be nice to Odie.

*ma'am

Also, sure, you can, but to say an update to the Holly is a "slap in the face" is kind of... I don't know, harsh.

I'm the person who took the opportunity to poke the Holly sprite(s), and I know how important they are to many people (including myself, seeing as though it's one of my favourite dragons). Updating the Holly or the Silver or any other rare old dragon is already a risky (and stressful) situation in and of itself, and with that in mind, I kept it as close to the original as I possibly could.

The artists doing the updates aren't doing anything to "slap" DC's history in the face... if anything, it's quite the contrary.

You're free to have your opinion though, that's fine-- but others are also free to disagree with it, just as Odeen has.

If it means anything to you, I'm sorry that the Holly update made you feel that way. I hope you're able to grow to like it in time, or at least be neutral about it. Just know that I did it because I adore the Holly Dragon.

---

Outside of that, I'm really glad so many people seem to like the updated Holly ;v;! I was really scared that people would hate it, so this comes as a relief.

*pelts marri with floofs* wow u have 2g thuwed hollies and all i have is... a potato, probably.

As an artist I respect what you did & I do like the grapgic... It is just a personal sedimental thing for me... I don't believe THAT dragon should have been touched. It is not YOUR work.. it is the idea..

Understand?

I'm not feeling the Nilia pygmy. I loved the old sprite and thought it was cute and fitting. However, I'm digging the rest of the updates.

I will get used to the Nilia though, honestly. Like I got used to the golds.

Let me just gush about the Hollies though, they look close to the originals but so clean and sleek. I love them so much. They were my favorite sprite, but now they're even better in my opinion.

Edited by Earth Gurl

*ma'am

---

You made the Holly look amazing! wub.gif Not that it didn't look good before, but you get what I mean rolleyes.gif And those hatchies, I just want to hug them laugh.gif Thank you for making the Holly update awesome! :3

Nillia...unexpected.  I was expecting just a different sprite to be used for one of the genders, not two new ones.  Imo, there's inconsistencies between the two new sprites.

-Male's wings look too small compared to the female's

-Female's arms seem longer than the male's.

-Female's neck is visibly longer and a bit 'broken' compared to the male's.

Back rather than neck.

And there's also the fact that the wing:body size ratio of the old one was different to the new one.

But all in all, this sums up my opinion of the nillias. I think the female's neck needs a bit of a change.

Edit: Oh, and this as well.

Aww, I'm really sad about the Nilia update. I love the original, it was my favorite of the pygmies; they looked compact and small enough to cup in your hand or have one perched on your shoulder, and the pose was so carefree and relaxed. The new male looks okay and I wouldn't have minded it partnered with the original, but the new female is very ungainly looking. Her limbs look much longer and lanky, her pose isn't quite as majestic, and the hunched look just isn't doing it for me. She's a downgrade in quality and personality, in my opinion, and I'm sad to say it because I truly adored the Nilias.

And this.

The Nilia is certainly different, and will take a little getting used to. The Nilias, Pumpkins and Dark Mysts have been my favorites among the Pygmies, but the Nilias seem less substantial now. They seem to be longer but thinner with lighter wings. As a new dragon, they'd be fine, but I did like the old Nilias, so I guess it will take me a while to adjust to them.

And this:

"Lightweight" doesn't go with the heavy eggs, though.

Sorry if my opinion bothers anyone, I try to be as polite as I can, but sometimes people misunderstand me.

Just to clarify, I really like the new nillias, I just think the female needs a bit of a change and that the old sprite shouldn't have to go away. Wish I could think of some way for three adult sprites without the creation of alts...

Edited by MessengerDragon

I'm not feeling the Holly update although the shading is much better. The shape of the left wing should be altered since the raised head makes the wing look rectangular and awkward now that pose of the head has been fixed. The right wing is also missing the notched/wrinkled velved appearance which could have been enhanced by making the base of the wing a bit lower. The tail also looks a bit spikier than the original, that could have been enhanced by giving the tail a more organic appearance of overlayed leaves rather than changing it into a frill. The placement of the head could be a bit lower too, unless the left wing is folded. Holly hatchlings look significantly improved compared to the original, though. I like the shininess and the wings in the updated hatchlings, however the hatchlings look relatively dynamic shadingwise (with dark patches) compared to the adults.

Nilaa pygmies look great. The poses are much more dynamic and same goes for the horse dimorphism - the fur really brings it to life.

Edited by DarkEternity

The heavy eggs are explained in this thread.

Their eggs are heavier then normal because of their thick shells which protect from falling rocks and avalanches. While still in the shell, baby Nilias develop beak like mouths, to break the egg shell, which they quickly lose as they grow.

The Horse is definitely my favorite update, the male pose looks so much more dynamic now. The Holly is my second-favorite, I like the larger size and the lighter shade of green makes details easier to see (nice job birdz!) I'll have to get used to the Nilia update, I'm not a fan of it yet, to be honest. Thanks to the artists and TJ for the first round of updates!

As an artist I respect what you did & I do like the grapgic... It is just a personal sedimental thing for me... I don't believe THAT dragon should have been touched. It is not YOUR work.. it is the idea..

Understand?

And it's not YOUR work either, so you don't really have much of a say in this. You are entitled to your own opinion, but it is rude to intentionally bash someone about something that they worked hard to accomplish. The artists that created the old sprites have given permission for the update so I don't see what the problem is here? I think the new updates are amazing.

^^^^