TJ09

2015-08-29 - August Release

This release hasn't been bad at all. The dragons, hatchlings, and eggs are all amazing, no matter what color they are, and there has been plenty of them. The, yet to come, silvers will be just as nice, if not more so.

In between drops I've been catching nice eggs in the AP, hatching them, and giving them away in the Departures. This was plenty to keep me busy, (so far, 78 hatchlings over 8 days). It's been a lot of fun but I wouldn't have thought of it if we hadn't all this extra waiting around time.

The only thing I worry about is that the Silver drop might be smaller than the others. As long as I can get my fill of them, I'll be a happy camper. If they drop for a day and fizzle out, I sure won't be. I don't want to hear about a rare part of this release. No, no, no!

Still bronze - darn. xd.png Lol, I have enough bronze and blue to last me a lifetime. Hopefully those silver ones make an appearance, though I still need some gold ones as well.

I'm with Lantean_Pegasus on this one, too. If you have followed this thread at all, it didn't take that long to figure out just when you needed to have space open for a new color. And if you didn't have the space just as the new eggs started you still had plenty of chance. I was away without internet for the first two days of the first bronze drop. Guess what? I still had almost all the bronze eggs I needed before the blue ones started dropping. And I have a scroll goal of four pairs of each new sprite!

I have been able to go back to breeding other things since my blue ones hatched, figuring that if the predictions were right about the silvers I had plenty of time. And if the predictions were wrong I could still pick up the eggs once those bred eggs hatched!

Just another poster who needs to echo these sentiments! smile.gif

This has been a beautiful release, both for the dragons and the mechanics around their timing. I am currently at 12 Gold, 10 Bronze and 17 CB Indigo, with one 2nd gen. Thank you to TJ and Lady Lyzar for these wonderful dragons! <3

I am finishing up some of my Summer breeding in the lull, but will pick up a few more Bronze and Gold before the Silvers arrive. I've got plenty to work on! biggrin.gif

I hope we get gold back before silver, but either way is okay .w. I really want to breed those golds with electrics.

We have so many dragons who have something to do with the moons or moonlight and now there is a breed who is really in synch with the moon phases that is sooooo great! I really like the mechanic and in overall view no colour will be more rare then the other colours except userdriving rarity... dry.gif

I am waiting for the Silvers but i am more impatient that LadyLyzar release the avatar for the Silver Lunar Heralds. laugh.gif And then we all should do our best to convience The Bossman to add the gorgeous Lunar Herald avatars to the offical avatar gallery. wink.gif

Hopefully i will get two Silver Lunar Heralds out of each biome and then it will take its time for getting three more caveborn Silver Lunar Heralds for my freezing collection. smile.gif

I think we might break the record for the most pages in a news post.... The record is 347 pages.

Break that record! Break that record!

Golds are supposed to start dropping again today, right? I think? I have 6 hours until the last of my bronze eggs can hatch. Well, if the Golds drop for 4 days, I guess I don't *need* to breed them right when they start. Antsy-fingers, tho! Wanna breed!

This release has been both amazing and frustrating, for me. I want those silvers. Very badly. I don't like the fact that it's cycling around again before we see the silvers. It just feels like an unneeded obstacle. On the other hand, I have taken advantage of the cycle to get more of each color for freezing purposes, so I guess it worked out? I absolutely *adore* the sprites, to the point where I used the "legacy custom sort" for the first time in my life just so I could get the Lunar Heralds to stay on top of my scroll.

Edited by Marie19R

I've been enjoying this release, and while I do hope it doesn't rule out a September one, I feel like a hybrid or pygmy/two-head/drake could still be worked in without too much trouble.

Excited for the Silver ones though~

For me I wouldnt mind if we skip September. I have so much fun hunting for August eggs. xd.png

I don't like the fact that it's cycling around again before we see the silvers. It just feels like an unneeded obstacle.

THIS!

Because of my health/sleep issues having the Silver drop WAIT until the other's have had a repeat appearance is an INSANE pain in the...well...y'all know where that popular phrase ends. tongue.gif I really HONESTLY wish that each of the colours had their own drop BEFORE doing the whole recycling of which of the colours drop next.The stress is EVIL. -.-

5.45 Hours til Gold. I need 4 for a trade.

THIS!

Because of my health/sleep issues having the Silver drop WAIT until the other's have had a repeat appearance is an INSANE pain in the...well...y'all know where that popular phrase ends. tongue.gif I really HONESTLY wish that each of the colours had their own drop BEFORE doing the whole recycling of which of the colours drop next.The stress is EVIL. -.-

For me, this cycle makes sense.

Since they appear according to the light and not just the phases, is normal to follow this pattern.

To be honest, I'm actually happy about the way this release is going on.

I was a bit annoyed after a few days of Blues, but not because we weren't going to get any new eggs sooner, but because I could've kept going with my breeding projects or egg catching instead of just holding on in there, not knowing what was happening u.u

But when the Bronzes started after Blues, I relaxed ^w^

I would like to know: who created the Lunars? And I don't mean the sprites. I mean who came up with the concept and took the time to write out their lore, their descriptions and habits? The encyclopedia entry?

THIS!

Lol, I hear ya on that one; wound up afraid to sleep in case I missed the Release/a Flood on the next ones, (hoping these stick to the 8 PM DC time after the Golds starting at 3 AM with, and the Bronze at midnight without, an initial Flood,) as the difficulty in catching Bronzes left me with eggs caught variously up to over a day's difference in time and fouled me up for catching my personal minimums also more easily snagged in the wee earlies so that I wound up completely turned around, sleep-wise, lol.

But I'd actually still like a single pretty Commons Release in early Oct (the first weekend, and in my dreams also in November, once we've recovered from Halloween) - assuming the Silvers are Flooded well and Drop heavily - and especially if Dropping in some of the more neglected biomes so as to get those moving (and reveal more less-Common dragons specific to those as they do) and to shift some emphasis off these lovelies so that they aren't the last new!!! dragon and therefore more likely to 'disappear' from the the view/Refresh rate of most players during this period, as the 'trade fodder' cycle appearing with scarcity too-often deprives most of virtually any chance of catching their own.

It's been wonderful that people have also been able to pick up some previously 'invisible' Zenos and other not-normally-seen-by-many dragons which people still variously need, as well as actually being able to still get whichever Lunar Herald colour is Dropping through this, and there's nothing (apart from also having user-responsive ratio controls, such as the Suggested biome-to-AP-shuffle) like lovely new dragons to get the biomes moving and make hunting less of an ordeal and more the fun it's intended to be.

Plus, the steady supply of Incuhatchable/ER AP dragons is nothing to sneeze at.

There are such great secondary benefits to frequent Releases...

I would like to know: who created the Lunars? And I don't mean the sprites. I mean who came up with the concept and took the time to write out their lore, their descriptions and habits? The encyclopedia entry?

These are completely Lady Lyzar's creation, from the sprites to the lore behind them. The double moons and their cycles are TJ's idea.

I feel like it should be noted that the vast majority of dragon breeds on site are the conceptual fruit of their spriters. I'm not sure why you've got it in your head that these functions are frequently separate, but I can recall maybe six breeds for which the principle spriter is not the creator of the breed's concept. That situation is the exception, not the rule.

Also, while tone policing isn't generally helpful in discussions, you may want to find less confrontational ways to phrase your questions for the sake preserving this beautiful forum's placidity and fun atmosphere.

Best wishes!

I just caught a GW, which I'm happy about, but now I only have two slots for the supposed Lunar switch this evening. Oh dolphin, GWs are pretty.

Edited by moonstone981

moonstone981  Posted on Sep 17 2015, 05:06 PM

I just caught a GW, which I'm happy about, but now I only have two slots for the supposed Lunar switch this evening. Oh dolphin, GWs are pretty.

It is supposed to be Gold again right?

I feel like it should be noted that the vast majority of dragon breeds on site are the conceptual fruit of their spriters. I'm not sure why you've got it in your head that these functions are frequently separate, but I can recall maybe six breeds for which the principle spriter is not the creator of the breed's concept. That situation is the exception, not the rule.

Also, while tone policing isn't generally helpful in discussions, you may want to find less confrontational ways to phrase your questions for the sake preserving this beautiful forum's placidity and fun atmosphere.

Best wishes!

I've been under the assumption that conceptual creators were different from spriters the majority of the time due to how many concept creators in the DR thread are not the spriters of their dragons. The knowledge you brought forth makes me think that a concept creator has to be a spriter too in order to get their dragons in-cave, which really isn't fair.

Edit: Did those six ever get thanked/congratulated/shown appreciation for their work? Because, I've only ever seen love towards the spriters. That's not bad in itself but, it does seem a bit unfair to me.

Edited by Narvix

I've been under the assumption that conceptual creators were different from spriters the majority of the time due to how many concept creators in the DR thread are not the spriters of their dragons. The knowledge you brought forth makes me think that a concept creator has to be a spriter too in order to get their dragons in-cave, which really isn't fair.

Edit: Did those six ever get thanked/congratulated/shown appreciation for their work? Because, I've only ever seen love towards the spriters. That's not bad in itself but, it does seem a bit unfair to me.

This is a bit off topic, but yes, conceptors do get shown appreciation. One, who concepted a holiday dragon, also got a "conceptor's" alt.

It occurred to me when I first saw your question that if your only experience with dragon requests has been the recent DR then you would tend to have that impression. DR has undergone a lot of changes over the years. Originally we didn't think of a detailed background for dragon breeds, we thought of what would look cool, posted that, then sprited it. People who have ideas for dragons now tend not to be artists, but imaginative people who come up with ideas. So originally conceptor and artist were almost always one and the same because of the way Requests worked.

It is still true that a lot of releases are going to be concepted by the artist who makes the sprites because the in-cave artists are also imaginative people who come up with cool ideas for dragons and have the capability of then spriting those ideas into quality sprites. There's no discrimination except that some of them are really good and really fast. (which is probably why they're in-cave in the first place)

Also, (more on topic) I feel like we're really getting the pattern of these Heralds figured out. If we're right (and so far evidence supports our pattern) we'll get golds tonight and silvers on the 21st! Happy Birthday to me! Silvers for my birthday! I've loved the way this release has worked. Usually releases are here and gone so fast that I'm left wanting more something than just a few days of everyone celebrating the new dragon and then the thread is locked and we move on.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

Walker has a spriters alt. CompletelyDifferent and Dr. Paine have been pretty widely known as the conceptors of BBW's and Flamingoes by a large portion of the forum. I believe it was CD that started the trend of posting a topic with extra breed info available in it, which is probably still floating around SD.

You've probably only recognized appreciation for the spriters due to spriters being the conceptors for the releases you've been active in the news threads for. DC is not an ungrateful community. =)

Tbh, I think many conceptors help out with the art in their concepts, at least many of the ones that make it to the completed section do. So there's a smaller pool of conceptor =/= artist pool to choose from, so of course we see fewer releases from those. Just like we see fewer releases of hybrids and D2Ps because less are made and so there's less to choose from.

~

But getting back on topic, I am excited to start the countdown for silvers. I think they may be my favorite color version of this release.

I sm on the side that has not been bothered by the length of this release. There has been /plenty/ of downtime here and there to grab random eggs, hatch them, and then grab the new lunar colors or stock up on previously seen colors. As well, there have been a ton of dedicated users who worked very hard to nail down the pattern and the why of the colors we were seeing switch at which times. I saw quite a few users theorize what would come out next and were spot on. With only one color left, too, I am quite certain that even if we can't confirm for 100% that these users figured out the pattern relatively quickly. There's not only a thread to consolidate this information but a summary of this information has been posted every few pages. What a dedication to keeping everyone in the loop! I do not think it has been too hard to listen and see when new colors would come out and in the meantime grab other non-lunary dragons. This also makes the new colors coming out really fun to experience. Sure, we know what they look like - but to suddenly have the chance to grab them? I have found it fun and engaging. And these dragons don't even compete for a spot amongst my favorite or hoarded dragons. I still think the engagement has been fun.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course. I am just sorry that not everyone has enjoyed the release as much as some of us, but I suppose it is our diversity in opinions that keep things interesting and moving along. :3

But, then, it becomes "what's the point"?

Maybe I'm just being a bit more pessimistic because I'm in a funky mood at the moment but, I start to consider: what if I wanted to make a dragon concept? (And I have but it got ignored and died with the dust.) What would be the point? Even if it got completed, it most likely would never see the light of day again and come to fruition as an in-cave dragon because of such high DC standards and very small chances of non-in-cave artists becoming in-cave artists. So, why have the DR thread anyways? Their dragons aren't getting released for years, if at all.

The Lunars are nice and I do want to read all of their lore when I have the time. The moon phases are a nice touch and, in my opinion, it was about time that we had another species dropping depending on something other than day or night.

Edit: I was ninja'd by Sock. I'm in the same boat; I'm not bothered with how long this release has been taking.

(Whoops. Wasn't paying attention and thought I saw the wrong mod.)

Edited by Narvix

But, then, it becomes "what's the point"?

Maybe I'm just being a bit more pessimistic because I'm in a funky mood at the moment but, I start to consider: what if I wanted to make a dragon concept? (And I have but it got ignored and died with the dust.) What would be the point? Even if it got completed, it most likely would never see the light of day again and come to fruition as an in-cave dragon because of such high DC standards and very small chances of non-in-cave artists becoming in-cave artists. So, why have the DR thread anyways? Their dragons aren't getting released for years, if at all.

The Lunars are nice and I do want to read all of their lore when I have the time. The moon phases are a nice touch and, in my opinion, it was about time that we had another species dropping depending on something other than day or night.

Statistically speaking, if you take into account every sprite set ever made for use on the site by everyone, in public and in private, by in-cave artists and the regular userbase, practically nothing ever gets released - no matter where you're coming from.

The point of engaging in creative ventures on sites like DC should always first be self-fulfillment and self-discovery, otherwise you're not going to get much out of it. We as artists are wholly donating our time and effort here, just as non-artistic conceptors are donating their time and effort as project managers, so if you're being creative in this sort of environment with the expectation of a reward you're going to be disappointed. If you go forth and do the thing simply because you're passionate about it, you cannot lose - and if it gets used later, that's just gravy.

----

I think my favorite heralds are the indigo ones, but that's because I'm a big sucker for blue.

And even if your dragon doesnt make it in cave, it still exists. I've made a few dragons that I havent been able to assist with, but just seeing that my ideas were given shape by the talented spriters here was incredible to me.

On topic, i do hope we get some form of drop for the Silvers just because it has been so long, everyone is going to be scrambling for them once they do get here.

I hope the silvers come out tonight rather than having to wait for a totally different cycle again until the moon is in the right position. Happy early birthday, Fi, though!