Thuban

Trader's Canyon

A script could be written to include 'first action,' I'm pretty sure.

Yes, this could be done easily enough. There is already a day/night timer, so it could just as easily be made to work thusly: Either the first login per day, or else the first time you do anything after the last rollover into a new day. So if you never log out, but you do stuff for a while and then leave, if you come back after DC midnight (for example) and click on an in-site link (for example, you click on Cave or Dragons, or one of your own dragons, or whatever), it will trigger your daily login bonus. This would work just as well for people who sometimes get logged off, or who log in and out regularly for other reasons such as more than one DC player in the household. Basically, the first time DC detects you doing something on a given day - whether that be logging in or whatever - you get a one-time activity bonus. That's probably a better way to phrase it.

Edited by Lurhstaap

Not a fan of the idea some are throwing out there to make mana tradeable. There are too many ways that can be twisted by some into an exploit.

Not a fan of the idea some are throwing out there to make mana tradeable. There are too many ways that can be twisted by some into an exploit.

In what ways could trading mana be abused that Teleport cannot be? I couldn't think of anything so I'm curious. Or, rather, what exploits are possible seem fairly easy to block by the use of such mechanisms as trading fees, caps on the size of individual trades, and the concept of using trading through a BSA, meaning the amount of trades a player could do would be limited both by their number of the appropriate BSA dragon and by the cooldown (which IMO should be longer than Teleport's, perhaps even up to two weeks, as per my last edit to my main suggestion post in this thread.)

Edited by Lurhstaap

What if traded mana still counted toward your daily mana limit? if you can only collect say 100 mana in a day and you trade for 50 of it, you can then only collect 50. I would say this applies EVEN IF you trade 1 for 1 with different types of mana, if mana would even be tradable, which I'm really not keen on yet.

What if traded mana still counted toward your daily mana limit? if you can only collect say 100 mana in a day and you trade for 50 of it, you can then only collect 50. I would say this applies EVEN IF you trade 1 for 1 with different types of mana, if mana would even be tradable, which I'm really not keen on yet.

Well, yes, naturally, traded mana would have to count toward your daily income limit if one were imposed. If someone sends you 25 mana, that counts as 25 mana toward the daily limit. Personally I am not certain a daily maximum income cap makes sense. But it might make sense to cap -trading- income per day, per week, or even per month if people feel the abuse potential is very high. Personally I would rather wait to impose such stringent measures until it's proven there is really a need, though. Just because a potential for abuse exists doesn't mean it will always be taken. Most players are NOT cheaters or bad people, and the game should not be designed like a straitjacket just to avoid the few who are. Reasonable precautions are fine, but worrying too much about abuses and exploits ahead of time just makes game design overly difficult. It's better to do your best to construct a simple, sound system, and then patch leaks if and when they appear. Otherwise it takes far too long to design what should have been a very simple thing,. And alas I speak from experience on that last point. x.x;

Well, yes, naturally, traded mana would have to count toward your daily income limit if one were imposed. If someone sends you 25 mana, that counts as 25 mana toward the daily limit. Personally I am not certain a daily maximum income cap makes sense. But it might make sense to cap -trading- income per day, per week, or even per month if people feel the abuse potential is very high. Personally I would rather wait to impose such stringent measures until it's proven there is really a need, though. Just because a potential for abuse exists doesn't mean it will always be taken. Most players are NOT cheaters or bad people, and the game should not be designed like a straitjacket just to avoid the few who are. Reasonable precautions are fine, but worrying too much about abuses and exploits ahead of time just makes game design overly difficult. It's better to do your best to construct a simple, sound system, and then patch leaks if and when they appear. Otherwise it takes far too long to design what should have been a very simple thing,. And alas I speak from experience on that last point. x.x;

A very good point. I was addressing a specific concern, which I also have, that trading mana might not be the best of ideas. I think that the "you can only summon X one time per Y period" restriction (whether that be a "spell cooldown," or just a straight up unavailability) should be a natural limit on such things. More dedicated players could cast more of the different spells per given time period, but they still couldn't summon more than one of any one thing (for some things that would be ever) in a given period.

After reading Thubans rehashed suggestion laying out all the particulars I am warming to the idea.

First thing is I agree with cyradis4 in the comment that it is now less of a 'store' and more of a Mana Summon, and I like thinking of it this way better. In a store you can trade both ways - even if the practice is phased out by commercial giants in the late part of last century 99% of the time if you can buy an egg/creature, then you can sell one as well, setting your own price. 

Making it a summon and therefore a part of DC magic lore is a whole new kettle of fish and I think fits the game a whole lot better. The mana you collect is controlled by you, you use some to try and magically make an egg appear from a list much like a spell sheet - less complicated spells requiring little mana for common eggs can be performed by the average farmer in Galsreim, while the more rare eggs can only be used by qualified mages type thing. There are 13 types of mana, perhaps you need certain numbers of each for each different egg summon. Maybe some mana types are harder to get so they can be highly attached to the rarer items. The only way to get the mana is of course play the mana game - possibly during holiday events mana may drop like treats to pick up.

Users can trade the eggs they 'mana summon'- but they cannot sell them for more Mana than they are worth - this was the bit that worried me the most with mana becoming a currency - people setting ridiculous prices. With it being a set 'summon' TJ sets the mana and we just collect the needed types. Some we need more and are rarer so luck and patience wins you the prize.

and speaking of which and Cinnamin Draconna yes/no list- firstly if you summon a prize then it should be breedable like everything else. Same goes for other rares. no mule eggs please.

Obviously a limit needs to be set - so the suggested limit of one of each color CB sounds fair - even if a person is a double prize winner they can still have a chance at getting the other color/s and breeds they don't have. Puts everyone on an even footing and I don't think it will detract from those prize winners if other users can now obtain CB, especially of the older prize because - hey - original dates man xd.png.

If the prize eggs were like GON and locked onto your scroll this would stop the buy and sell for 100 CB golds scenario

CB alts wont work because like Thuban said - the eggs are not identifiable from common, but everything else on Cins'yes' list I would like to see as a high experienced mage mana summon spells. The more common eggs can be summoned by anyone whether mage or not requiring little effort to gather the mana.

Yes to

CB Shimmers (1 of each color limit)

CB Tinsels (1 of each color limit)

CB Hybrids (limit 2 per scroll) may include avatars but I dunno - rarer/harder to get a CB avatar *if no limit slap a 4 to 6 month cooldown on each spell, and you wont get hoarding. If you can only have 1 CB Bluna every 6 months... Its going to take a while to get a lot. - cyradis4

CB Holidays (ALL, limit 2 per scroll)

ALTs - possible small chance of getting CB from a summoned black/vine egg just the same as breeding one does.

As to the NO list - also agree with most of it - but with talk of frills and pinks perhaps being re-integrated into the game, this may be a very good way of TJ doing so without having them become the dreaded cave blockers that cause their demise in the first place. Not sure what the logistics and legalities of this is with the original spriters who called for their cull and such but it is another option to think about.

NO mini-game exclusive prize (it's apparent to me that the majority of folk object to this) with good reason.

NO Spriters ALTs

NO Guardians of Nature or CB Avatars (Avatars are hybrids)

NO black Sweetlings

NO unbreedables

NO metallics - don't agree with this one

Metallics would have to be in the 'mana summon' category because simply if you are going to include things like metallic prizes and holidays then the more common 'metals' should not be excluded. This is not only silver and gold but copper and GW as well. It doesn't make sense to leave them out. Again the mana types needed may be the harder to find variety but anyone can have a chance of getting one.

Also...since I am talking about this as a 'summon' spell rather than a 'shop' - would there be the possibility that you fail to summon something and the crystals just go fizz bang! Meaning you now have to start collecting that used number of crystals again. This also might help with the rarer items being less available as they should be - if all mana types were equally available the chance of a failed spell will increase the rarer the egg you are trying to get.

Well - that's my way of seeing and accepting it - ???

* Fails rates - no one likes a fail. Instead there was an option idea of having to summon a certain number of common eggs before you can even try /unlock the scroll for a rarer egg. this i think may also fit in the the mage level idea, make it harder for the rares to become abused and make it easier to get those CB commons you need that never seem to appear when you want them to.

i like the mana/summoning idea much better than the store idea for the reasons you posted above.

the only thing i dont like about this is excluding the avatars from the hybrid/alt list.

i also like the idea of things going boom, though i dont think all your crystals should be destroyed on higher summons (if you're a skilled enough mage to summon such a high level spell, you can likely tell the spell is collapsing and be able to move and think quick enough to counter part of it imo)

on second thought of mulling it over i'd like to see prizes not included in the store at all. i think even with a cap per scroll like the above suggests it would be detrimental to breeding ratios for prizes.

right now prizes breed well. its easier to get a bred prize egg than a bred Gold egg. and prize dragons are supposed to be much rarer than golds (bred or otherwise). allowing this much of an influx of new CB prize blood into the cave will cause a breeding drought worse the 2011 imo and anything that makes it harder to get prize dragons to breed is something i'm dead set against.

i also dont think that this will do anything to solve the market problems people keep pointing at. the focus will just shift from the current 4G's to 2G blood swaps for lineages and the trading currency will remain CB Metals (Gold, Silver, Copper), CB Almadines, CB Spessi's and go from 4G/3G prize lines to 2G prize lines. imo, hoping to get back to a time when you could trade 4 CB Stripes for 1 CB Gold is a pipe dream. the only reason we had that sort of trade was because Stripe alts had just been introduced and there was a sever shortage of CB stripes as a result.

personally, i'd be happy with this as a way to get CB past holidays and CB alts/hybrids and CB Discontinued and leave prize dragons to the raffle.

Edited by Red2111

Here's an example we already have: IOU trading. Apply that to mana. Person A says, "I need 50 dark mana to summon a Prize. Send it to me and I'll give you an egg when they breed one." Person B sends the mana. He has no recourse if Person A fails to comply with the agreement. No egg for him.

If there are ways to "farm" the system, people will find them, and you can bet there are those who will exploit them.

A currency system becomes exploitable when it's based on a bartering system, which DC's system is. Unless the exchange is set by the code, such that 10 dark mana is only exchangeable for 10 light mana or 10 magi mana, then players can and will find ways to exploit it.

Further, if it takes specific kinds and amounts of mana to summon specific things then the mana to summon, say a prize, becomes a premium kind of mana. Sell your dark mana to me and I'll send you this light mana which I don't need! (because I can't use it to summon a prize, but you can use it to summon something else <read lesser> eventually) People who are skilled at that kind of manipulation would figure out fairly quickly how to accrue the types and amounts of mana to get the best summons as fast as possible.

right now prizes breed well. its easier to get a bred prize egg than a bred Gold egg.

If that is your experience you are very lucky! I have a much harder time getting my prizes to produce than my metals and I have seen plenty of posts where people complain of difficulty getting prizes. I think it's partly luck and partly what you're breeding to. In any event though I don't think the prizes from this would be enough to affect ratios one way or another. Not enough would be created, especially if the most restrictive of my scenarios was enacted. First you'd have to unlock sunmmoning itself. Then you'd have to earn a gold trophy so you could be able to summon the rarest and most expensive eggs. Then you'd have to get ahold of some number of prize dragons (in the best scenario one, in the worst possibly ten or even more) and raise them up the normal way in order to unlock the ability to summon a CB prize. And they'd have to be the same color and breed as the prize you want to summon. And then you'd have to acquire the large amount of mana needed to pay for summoning it. And if TJ decides to impose a chance of failure on summons... yeah. Plus, on top of all that, there would almost certainly be a scroll limit of one or at most two per sex per color per scroll. So, in the best-case scenario I can possibly imagine, a given person could end up with six CB prizes, after AT MINIMUM a year or two's worth of dedicated, intense effort. Even assuming every single player who used the feature at all was aiming to get CB prizes, which won't be the case, they will trickle into existence very slowly, and so they won't really be able to affect ratios.

[...]

on second thought of mulling it over i'd like to see prizes not included in the store at all. i think even with a cap per scroll like the above suggests it would be detrimental to breeding ratios for prizes.

[...]

Based on what all has been discussed, it would be 4-6 months AFTER THIS IS IMPLEMENTED before this would even theoretically begin to be an issue. (assuming that all 'spells' started on their cooldown, similarly to the way that holidays have a last bred date that keeps them from being bred during the season they were laid.) During that time the ratios could possibly be tweaked to allow the breeding to maintain its current decent levels.

Here's an example we already have: IOU trading. Apply that to mana. Person A says, "I need 50 dark mana to summon a Prize. Send it to me and I'll give you an egg when they breed one." Person B sends the mana. He has no recourse if Person A fails to comply with the agreement. No egg for him.

If there are ways to "farm" the system, people will find them, and you can bet there are those who will exploit them.

A currency system becomes exploitable when it's based on a bartering system, which DC's system is. Unless the exchange is set by the code, such that 10 dark mana is only exchangeable for 10 light mana or 10 magi mana, then players can and will find ways to exploit it.

Further, if it takes specific kinds and amounts of mana to summon specific things then the mana to summon, say a prize, becomes a premium kind of mana. Sell your dark mana to me and I'll send you this light mana which I don't need! (because I can't use it to summon a prize, but you can use it to summon something else <read lesser> eventually) People who are skilled at that kind of manipulation would figure out fairly quickly how to accrue the types and amounts of mana to get the best summons as fast as possible.

As to the first, as you say, that's a problem that already exists with Teleport. Given that, I think the answer is the same as we have apparently chosen for Teleport - officially IOUs are not allowed, so if you choose to take them anyway, on your own head be it. This is something that I, personally, am willing to accept when I engage in IOU trades for eggs/hatchies, and I would also accept it with mana trades. If we didn't already have that problem with Teleport I would agree it is a valid concern, but since a precedent for dealing with that issue has been set (whether you or I thinks it's a good precedent or not) I don't think that's a valid argument to not have mana trading. I also think that, in fairness, if we impose additional anti-IOU-type limits on mana trading they should be imposed on dragon trading as well.

I didn't say no one would ever farm or exploit the system. But they can be dealt with in the same way cheaters currently are. I see no reason to deny useful features solely on the basis that they could be abused, personally, but we will probably have to agree to disagree on that point.

Your second point is a fair one, but keep in mind that, again, not everyone is going to be going for prizes. For example, although I might want one eventually, there are lots of other dragons I would rather go for first. For example, honestly, I would probably use this to make it easier to get semi-uncommon dragons I want for projects, like blacks, or useful BSA dragons, like reds, far more often than I would go on huge big saving projects. And if I really don't need that Dark mana since I'm happily making reds right now, is it that big a deal if I'm willing to trade it to someone who IS going for a prize right now? Is it really a problem if some mana is worth more than other types? I'm not sure I see why that's an issue, especially because access to different types of mana would not be controlled by trade, but rather by the in-game drops, at least in my version of the idea.

EDIT: I also want to note that I have never had a bad experience with IOUs, including gifted holiday IOUs arranged months in advance. They have sometimes fallen through for one reason or another, but communication has always been good with the people I was working with and I have never been scammed. I also have never scammed anyone myself. Of course I'm just one person, but scamming just doesn't seem like a major problem in the IOU trading community to me right now. It certainly does happen, but I don't think it's rampant enough to be a major concern. If I'm wrong and have just been very very lucky, let me know, but I'd be surprised... I'm not often lucky. xd.png

Edited by Lurhstaap

right now prizes breed well. its easier to get a bred prize egg than a bred Gold egg. and prize dragons are supposed to be much rarer than golds (bred or otherwise).

Actually, it's not true that prizes are supposed to be more rare than golds. The availability of cb prizes keeps the number of low gen prizes low but somewhere we were told that the total number of prizes on scrolls was in line with (or maybe more than) commons.

Prizes breed like slightly uncommons. If I breed my silver shimmer x red copper pair I'm much more likely to get a silver shimmer than a copper egg. They produce an egg about 50% of the time. Proof enough. My moonstone and silver shimmer pair are more likely to produce a moonstone. However, there are a fair number of silver shimmers in there. Babies The mate for the prize dragon has a lot of influence on success rates but they're fairly high, despite some people's claims to the contrary.

Golds on the other hand are rare. They breed like rares, so your chances of getting a gold egg out of one is very low. If you breed gold x prize your most likely result is going to be a prize.

If this turns into a 'lore' type of thing I'd prefer to keep it simple. I like DC because it's simple. Grab or breed an egg, raise, keep it or trade it.

I don't mind the chance to play the mini games from time to time., but I rarely read the stories, descriptions, etc. If this turns into a quest of having to do this and that, search here and there and collect an entire set of specific items you've turned it into a mini rpg. I'd rather not see that here.

Not going to touch on the idea of trading mana as I don't really have an opinion one way or another, but I am going to point out that I don't really like GoNs in the store since they can be summoned and they are not allowed as HM prizes. I'm not too sure about avatars since you can theoretically have an avatar without having a GoN on your scroll, but I won't voice one way or another until HMs for this year are clarified.

If this turns into a 'lore' type of thing I'd prefer to keep it simple. I like DC because it's simple. Grab or breed an egg, raise, keep it or trade it.

I don't mind the chance to play the mini games from time to time., but I rarely read the stories, descriptions, etc. If this turns into a quest of having to do this and that, search here and there and collect an entire set of specific items you've turned it into a mini rpg. I'd rather not see that here.

I don't know about what others have said but in my proposal mana would be earned by the simple process of playing the game normally, for the most part - logging in, clicking on growing things, that sort of thing. So it would change gameplay very little. Essentially it'd be like a less random version of how the last Christmas event worked - you'd click onto a page and there'd be a mana crystal there to click on and pick up. Only instead of being a random type and happening at random intervals, it would be a predictable type and occurrence (click on a red dragon, get fire mana, for example). So you would not find your gameplay experience changed very much except for the presence of the mana crystals and the ability to use them to get eggs you normally would have no access to. The only time your gameplay would change is if you were trying to collect a specific kind of mana in large amounts to get a specific dragon, and even then it'd only be a matter of going out of your way to click specific types of dragon, for example - much like trying to unlock the Encyclopedia. You could just as easily ignore the whole system and trade away the mana you collect for dragons (assuming that was allowed) or just ignore the mana drops and not pick them up so your gameplay remained unchanged.

Edited by Lurhstaap

If this gets implemented I'd like mana or whatever to be not transferrable whatsoever. That'd nip these problems in the bud.

Not going to touch on the idea of trading mana as I don't really have an opinion one way or another, but I am going to point out that I don't really like GoNs in the store since they can be summoned and they are not allowed as HM prizes. I'm not too sure about avatars since you can theoretically have an avatar without having a GoN on your scroll, but I won't voice one way or another until HMs for this year are clarified.

I agree that the GoN should not be summonable by the player. I also am not sure Avatars should be included, but I don't have a strong opinion either way on that one. I know you can have avatars without having a GoN though - I got some in trade well before I successfully summoned my first GoN. So it's not just theoretical it's quite possible.

If this gets implemented I'd like mana or whatever to be not transferrable whatsoever. That'd nip these problems in the bud.

Then why is Teleport allowed? That was why I specifically asked what problems were present in mana trading that ARE NOT present in Teleport. I personally find it illogical to have Teleport, with that same problem, but disallow mana trading on the basis that people will abuse it in a similar way. If that is such a major problem as to disallow trading features then we should have no trading features. The decision to allow Teleport was also a decision to accept that the features themselves are important enough to DC gameplay that their potential for abuse is a necessary evil. Again, if IOU rip-offs are such a problem, then IOU trading should simply be disallowed, and if people go ahead and do it anyway and get ripped off, they're operating outside the system knowingly, and most of them won't expect to be compensated. Those that do will have to have the rules politely explained to them. But it doesn't make sense to deny the majority a useful feature just because a small minority will abuse it - especially since, in this case, the abuse has a relatively minor effect on the player base as a whole. Only people who choose to engage in IOU trades in spite of it being disallowed will even be at risk for being scammed, and even then, in my experience, most IOU trades do not end in someone being scammed, so why should mana trading be disallowed on that basis?

Edited by Lurhstaap

First of all, I don't think the "points" should be tradeable.

But having said that, here's my question:

Why on earth should anyone want to trade their "premium mana" for an IOU of 2G prize, if they can get a CB prize themselves without trading?

I heard a funny saying once: There are no foolproof systems, because every time someone invents a better fool (or something along these lines). I cannot imagine any DC player in their right mind selling their ticket to CB prize for a vague promise of getting a 2G prize.

ETA: In my opinion, the rise of IOU system with all its faults was a simple consequence of giving CB prizes to a small handful of people. People are ready to accept the risk, because there is no other way to get what they want (a 2G prize, let alone a CB prize). Thuban's idea has the potential to bring it back to healthy proportions again.

Edited by lorimmel

There's also another well known, famous phrase. "There's a sucker born every minute." generally attributed to P. T. Barnum. (though evidence suggests he didn't actually say it)

In other words, people can be gullible. And no one ever said DC players were all in their right minds. tongue.gif

I would think that you would get roughly equal amounts of the various types of mana by playing the mini-game over a period of time, and I can understand the idea of trading because sometimes you like one thing and getting more of THAT type of mana when mana generation is random could be annoying (though if your particular mana generation was based on your 'house" (i.e. your scroll) taking into account that your dragons want to be comfy and you have set up shop in a place alligned with the types of dragons you have, if you tend to have the types of dragons you are trying to summon it could be easier to get one type and damned difficult to get others.)

So, i think that if there is a specific type of mana required for various things, then the trading of mana becomes implicit....IMHO, YMMV.

I'd prefer game points/mana being untradeable, I really don't wish to see this on the trading threads in the future:

Have:

CB Blusang

Want:

100 mana

Again, that would put players under pressure to play the minigame just to be able to keep up with the economy. dry.gif

I do not agree with any type of mana/point trading. Nor do I think that we need a dozen different types of mana to collect. I belive the mana/points should be totally random, so that no one type of mana/points becomes rarer than any other. Collect it.. accumulate it.. spend it.. simple, neat and efficient.

I know that keeping the 'lore' of DC is necessary, but talking about spells and different mana types and other lore related processes is too much like RP. I do not RP DC and have no wish to do so.. and I will adamantly oppose any idea that is strictly based on RP because it is NOT necessary to the game.

If you want to call the points mana, fine.. call them gumdrops for all that it matters. But talking about things like spells and experience levels and monumental spell failures is nothing but RP. You do NOT need to RP to play DC and no one should be forced to RP when they don't want to.

mana received should be like GoN's, not tradable. eggs gotten through the mana/store should be like GoN's and not tradable. both of these will encourage multi-scrolling imo i'd like to see Neglecteds added to the summon list *nods*

@ Fiona BlueFire - actually i disagree. i think with prize ratios you get a better judge of the ratio on prize lines that breed with Holiday/Discontinued pairings. imo when prize dragons beed to non-holiday dragons, i think the prizes defer to their mates ratio (in the same way that holiday dragons defer to their mates out of holiday season)

Golds for instance, the ratio seems set Nothing>Kin>Gold. which prize x Gold lines reflect. like wise a mint's ratio seems set with mint>kin>nothing. and a prize x mint line reflects that as well.

this logic, that prizes defer to their mates ratio, seems to be supported in how they breed. that some mates produce more shinies than others.

and when i say that Metals are more common than Prizes i'm talking about the entireity of the DC universe (all scrolls and CB production), not just what reflected in peoples collecting preferences. i have more prize lines than any other dragons on my scroll, thats because i spend 75% of my time on DC collecting and trading and breeding prize lines.

but in the entire DC universe, if we were to take a census of all the dragons (CB and Bred) i have a feeling you'd come up with

commons > uncommons/unbreedables > Hybrids > Coppers > Silvers > Golds > Avatars > GoN's & ND's > Tinsels > Shimmers

@ amthystfire - it still present a problem and given the amount of potential new lines (and taking into account the expected population growth from these new lines) unless TJ puts them on level with Silvers & Golds ratio wise ... we're eventually setting ourselves up for another 2011 drought or worse.

If that is your experience you are very lucky!

less personally experience of my current lines and more from the perspective that comparably to 2011 (when both metals and prize lines produced maybe a common every month for almost a year straight) that prize lines are breeding well

when i say "prize lines are breeding fine" its not because my personal likes i breed every week are shooting out shinies left and right. its because i've experienced first hand what its like when prize liens and metals actually go on strike and dont breed well, and in comparison there is no problem with breeding right now and hasn't been since Shimmers were introduced and TJ tweaked the ratio by tripling the number of CB owners per year.

I'm with Cinnamin Draconna on this, I'd like the game to be simple and easy, just as a tiny addition to DC gameplay.