_Sin_

Increase the raffle winners pool

Why no more HMs?

I think HMs are needed as a buffer zone, so that prizes don't have to be re-drawn so much. I think part of the problem last year was that nearly all of the HMs and some of the Bronzes had to be re-drawn, or some such nonsense. Had their been enough HMs to replace the prize winners that didn't respond, only the HMs would have been re-drawn, which would have moved prizes out of the center of attention faster.

Cheers!

C4.

In fact.... if ANYTHING, I'd say a higher number of HMs than we have currently would be good. More buffer... more people that won SOMETHING, even IF it wasn't a CB prize dragon.

AND I also totally agree that Fiona's advice regarding lists SHOULD be added to Amazon_Warrior's guide.

Edited by Silverswift

Going back to the topic... what if the request was, not only to increase the number of raffle winners but also to have only Tinsels and Shimmers as prizes, no more HM? People could always choose to "downgrade" to HM.

/me hides under desk and waits for cabbage

Edit:

I fully agree with Fiona. Maybe Amazon_Warrior's guide could strongly suggest that?

I think removing the HMs would do more harm than good--even with an increase in prizes. There will still be those with HMs and those without. Many people would be disappointed as the idea of "If I don't get a shiny prize, I can still maybe win something special" would no longer be a valid option. Many people look forward to the HMs not because they have a crack at the special things like CB hybrids, but because they can finally reach scroll goals by getting a frill or a past Christmas dragon. It doesn't make sense to improve the chances of winning while also taking away something that can be won.

I'm a tiny bit concerned about this whole suggestion becoming a "us vs them", "winners vs not". Furthermore, I agree that, in many cases, the trading problem is more visible with the owners of 2nd gens. A bit like: "I invested heavily, now is time to recoup my investment." Anyway, none of my business.

Going back to the topic... what if the request was, not only to increase the number of raffle winners but also to have only Tinsels and Shimmers as prizes, no more HM? People could always choose to "downgrade" to HM.

/me hides under desk and waits for cabbage

It already seems to be doing that, at least in the perspective of some, and it scares me more than a little, being one of the aspects of a scarcity situation most destructive to a community thereby split asunder.

Personally, I'd still love to see new Prize sprites, but think that under current circumstances it would be disastrous, barring massive increases both in CB Prize distribution and breeding rates which are not likely to happen.

We've regained at least enough of a shift toward equilibrium to now see pretty lineages of commons again appearing in the trade threads, and I'm afraid this would buried with any new sprites, which is rather sad, in a way...

Edit: not sure why you'd like to eliminate HMs?

They also add something relatively new and interesting to the site, even if via older sprites.

Perhaps TJ feels that the numbers are satisfactory because he's already planned to further increase the numbers of Prizes, which would certainly help.

I can dream! laugh.gif

Edited by Syphoneira

Why no more HMs?

I think HMs are needed as a buffer zone, so that prizes don't have to be re-drawn so much. I think part of the problem last year was that nearly all of the HMs and some of the Bronzes had to be re-drawn, or some such nonsense. Had their been enough HMs to replace the prize winners that didn't respond, only the HMs would have been re-drawn, which would have moved prizes out of the center of attention faster.

Cheers!

C4.

The thought process (very embryonic, I must admit) was that increasing the total number of winners AND replacing the 30(?) HM with more Prizes would additionally increase the number of prizes.

A shorter period between re-draws might help, too. If someone hasn't noticed an email and responded after a week, is it worth waiting longer for them? I wonder what percentage of respondents replied in the second week....

Shortening that response period would also help reduce the feeling that the whole process is unbearably drawn out. I know I'm not going to win, just tell me that already so I can stop stalking my inbox! xd.png

The thought process (very embryonic, I must admit) was that increasing the total number of winners AND replacing the 30(?) HM with more Prizes would additionally increase the number of prizes.

I'd rather increase the numbers of both. I think that giving the same number of HMs as main Prizes would be really nice.

Cheers!

C4.

Personally, I'd hate to see HM awards disappear. It's a way to keep new Hollies around, and there are some other fun things people choose. Surely, if prize numbers do get increased it would still be possible to have some HM's given out.

A shorter period between re-draws might help, too.  If someone hasn't noticed an email and responded after a week, is it worth waiting longer for them?  I wonder what percentage of respondents replied in the second week....

Shortening that response period would also help reduce the feeling that the whole process is unbearably drawn out.  I know I'm not going to win, just tell me that already so I can stop stalking my inbox!  xd.png

This SOOOO much. I KNOW my chances of winning are unlikely but I keep checking my E-mail every morning anyhow... I'd almost rather just be TOLD I didn't win, at this point, and have done with it until next year.

ALSO... C4's post above mine is exactly where I was going with the idea of more HMs... I believe that more of BOTH would be helpful.

Edited by Silverswift

A shorter period between re-draws might help, too. If someone hasn't noticed an email and responded after a week, is it worth waiting longer for them? I wonder what percentage of respondents replied in the second week....

Shortening that response period would also help reduce the feeling that the whole process is unbearably drawn out. I know I'm not going to win, just tell me that already so I can stop stalking my inbox! xd.png

And suppose you lose internet for a week or two, and get on to discover that you've just missed out on something you'd actually won?

It's the stuff of nightmares, isn't it? laugh.gif

I'd rather increase the numbers of both. I think that giving the same number of HMs as main Prizes would be really nice.

Cheers!

C4.

Makes sense. Disregard my embryonic-not-well-thought suggestion :-)

Why no more HMs?

Cheers!

C4.

I'd love to see more HMs. LOTS more smile.gif I don't know how much it would help the prize dragon situation, but I would love it anyway.

I'm not aware of all the stuff you say - surely however many anythings there were, there would be people who didn't respond and redrawings that had to be done. LORD forbid someone doesn't answer about their CB prize and it goes into limbo.. Can you IMAGINE the fuss ?

WAIT though - what's this about stalking your inbox ? Don't MOST people check their email daily ? I mean - like ""Your amazon purchase has been mailed"; "Please can you send a photo of Mum"; "Is dinner on Saturday still OK for the kids ?" - there ARE other emails in life !

Edited by fuzzbucket

And suppose you lose internet for a week or two, and get on to discover that you've just missed out on something you'd actually won?

It's the stuff of nightmares, isn't it? laugh.gif

I'd be screwed IRL then, since I freelance and all my work comes over the interwebs, so I'd be needing to track down an alternative connection anyway if that happened; I like being paid. (Our router died on us before Christmas, right before a weekend, but luckily our ISP was really good about sending out a new one super-fast and I didn't miss getting/returning any work.)

I'd be screwed IRL then, since I freelance and all my work comes over the interwebs, so I'd be needing to track down an alternative connection anyway if that happened; I like being paid.  (Our router died on us before Christmas, right before a weekend, but luckily our ISP was really good about sending out a new one super-fast and I didn't miss getting/returning any work.)

Ouch!

Well, we'll doubly hope that never happens (edit: again), then. smile.gif

Hi, fuzzbucket!

All I ever do these days is to clean off the bulk of DC PM notifications from the front page and sign a few petitions - limited energy precludes my going through the enormous backlog of the past year. laugh.gif

Is there an actual reason yet to check for miracle mailings?

I thought we were expecting these to go out nearer the end of the month.

Edited by Syphoneira

the Honourable mentions (which I started writing Half moons) help fill in desire gaps for things like Hollies, which has helped the population, frills and whatnot. I suddenly cannot remember if old pinks are in it or not. Especially with Hollies, it makes them available in CB form to people who are still current.

I'd love to see more HMs. LOTS more smile.gif I don't know how much it would help the prize dragon situation, but I would love it anyway.

I'm not aware of all the stuff you say - surely however many anythings there were, there would be people who didn't respond and redrawings that had to be done. LORD forbid someone doesn't answer about their CB prize and it goes into limbo.. Can you IMAGINE the fuss ?

WAIT though - what's this about stalking your inbox ? Don't MOST people check their email daily ? I mean - like ""Your amazon purchase has been mailed"; "Please can you send a photo of Mum"; "Is dinner on Saturday still OK for the kids ?" - there ARE other emails in life !

I had the (miss)fortune to be following the prize threads last year. >.<

The thing is, I don't think there is "one, true" solution to the Prize problem. I think that any true, lasting solution is going to require several such suggestions.

While I check my email, many people use rarely used emails to setup their account, it seems. :/ I have one address, and that's it, and I'm like you, I check it every day.

And yes.... Some people DID miss the email, or came back after the prizes were re-drawn or re-handed out. And TJ did not give them a Prize (I think there were two that I recall over the years, I'm sure there were more though).

Starscream, Old Pinks are not in the Raffle, nor are Halloween dragons nor Valentine dragons.

And I love that the raffle has added so many Hollies to the Cave. Mind, I don't personally care over-much about Hollies but I firmly intend to get an Avatar x Holly checker and a Red Neb x Holly checker. One of these days. xd.png

Cheers!

C4.

Ouch!

Well, we'll doubly hope that never happens (edit: again), then.  smile.gif

Hi, fuzzbucket!

All I ever do these days is to clean off the bulk of DC PM notifications from the front page and sign a few petitions - limited energy precludes my going through the enormous backlog of the past year.  laugh.gif

I am not sure that we KNOW for certain when TJ will get around to them, is the thing; hence the frantic inbox checking.

Edited by Silverswift

The raffle is drawn early / mid month, then the winners have 2 weeks to respond. Typically, the first round of Prizes goes out at the end of January.

However, I would not be surprised if there is a delay this year, because TJ mentioned that he's trying to get the new site out.

Cheers!

C4.

Scamming became an issue of teleport and trading, the moment teleport and trading became a thing, so did scamming. It wont change, and it is something that one should always be wary about when trading, negotiating, and most of all doing IOU's. There is a reason TJ and everyone else doesn't condone them and its because it sets you up for a scam.
ROFL! That's quite not true. I've read about scamming and warnings against scammers way before teleport was even thought of. Not to mention "sniping".

As much as gifting and giving is a nice thing, I just really want to stress that its not a bad thing for those that choose to trade shinies amongst themselves. If they want to trade with only prize owners, thats their right. If they want to trade with only friends, thats their right, and we are no one to demonize them for being lucky and doing what they want with their dragons. No one is here to breed for anyone but ourselves, if we decide to breed for others that is our choice not a law.
You're right, it isn't. The problem is that these posts (Have: 2nd gen prize. Want: better/newer/higher-rated 2nd gen prize. No other offers.) turning up in the trading section on a regular basis kind of rub everybody's nose in it: This is a winner. Only trading with another winner. Losers lose out - again. It's not the problem that people can do what they want with their dragons, but that some winners kind of declare themselves as an elite among DC players this way. At least that is what it looks like. And I doubt people really like elitism (unless they're part of the elite, that is). And many of the early 2nd/3rd gen owners aren't any better, either. (Have: 3rd gen bronze 2015 prize. Want: 2nd or 3rd gen 2015 prize. No other offers. Or: Want: 4+ CB golds (please PM), 2nd gen Thuwed IOU (with proof that you're on a list), etc.)

The raffle is drawn early / mid month, then the winners have 2 weeks to respond. Typically, the first round of Prizes goes out at the end of January.

However, I would not be surprised if there is a delay this year, because TJ mentioned that he's trying to get the new site out.

Cheers!

C4.

So.... No winners may have been selected at all, as of yet.

AND that is a good point about the new site features.

I must admit to some curiosity as to what that will entail. HOWEVER, this thread is about prizes.

And it kind of sounds like , like I said, we just don't know.

ALSO...@ Olympe- It DOES seem like that is the issue. After all, trades like the ones you mention could EASILY be dealt with via PM and NOT int he public eye at all.

IF you are only interested in setting up a trade with another prize owner for a prize swap, then WHY does it need to be in the public threads?

The fact that some people are so public with it is what rubs people, wrong, I think.

Edited by Silverswift

You're right, it isn't. The problem is that these posts (Have: 2nd gen prize. Want: better/newer/higher-rated 2nd gen prize. No other offers.) turning up in the trading section on a regular basis kind of rub everybody's nose in it: This is a winner. Only trading with another winner. Losers lose out - again. It's not the problem that people can do what they want with their dragons, but that some winners kind of declare themselves as an elite among DC players this way. At least that is what it looks like. And I doubt people really like elitism (unless they're part of the elite, that is). And many of the early 2nd/3rd gen owners aren't any better, either. (Have: 3rd gen bronze 2015 prize. Want: 2nd or 3rd gen 2015 prize. No other offers. Or: Want: 4+ CB golds (please PM), 2nd gen Thuwed IOU (with proof that you're on a list), etc.)

This. Plus people who regularly catch 4+ CB metals asking for ONLY 2nd gens, when anyone would love to have even one of those CB metals.

If I win, I have a plan. I will not give 2nd gens to anyone but my closest friends, and I'll let my inbox fill up until I can't get anymore so people don't bug me. If I breed an egg I'm willing to trade, I will offer it, and if I don't get offers I want, I'll keep it. Simple enough.

And even with all that, I have a breeding plan I want to attempt first to check something out, so until that's done not even my friends will get 2nd gens.

If I won, I might just block PMs from anyone who asks me for a 2nd gen by PM ninja.gif (I would put in my sig that I don't accept requests, but still...)

Well I have an issue where I don't seem to get emails from DC unless its about a thread I'm subscribed in. Which means unless the moment TJ releases those emails TJ also releases that link that allows you to check if you won, I might get redrawn, andnot even know it beacuse my email didnt come in. I checked everywhere by the way, nothing X3

And? Its their egg, if they only wanna trade it with other winners its their choice, like people who only do blood swaps of certain breeds like the pyralspites which seem to be extremely hard to get of any biome that isnt volcano. So if Hollies had remained as rare as they are and a few of those with CBs decided to only blood swap for other second gens would you demonize them too? Thankfully the introduction of HM allowed for more hollies given but geez if its not for the masses then its evil because since the masses didnt win they have to have that second gen?

Again, the game is played different ways and if some prize owners only wanna blood swap they have their reasons and the right to. if it rubs you the wrong way then thats a personal view and opinion. That does not mean they are purposefully rubbing it in your face that you can't have it. You personally feel that way, dont use that as an excuse to try and say they do it on purpose, or that they feel like big money.

Red once pointed out that if someone is willing to pay an arm and a leg for something you have, why should you accept less? I mean you can. These owners know what their eggs are worth and want to get what they think it is worth for them. depends on who gives in or not. If no one gives in they have to lower the price. Again, patience and know who to negotiate with and when.

As much as this suggestion was made in good will, it will not equal an increase in CB Prize dragons. Those who would have gotten HM would opt for an HM prize anyways. Last year I think a 1st place or 2nd place winner gave up getting a prize dragon to get a holly because placed winners also get that option. So the good intentions were there but not in the right manner.

An over all increase in everything would be nice. I would love to see more people win. I loved winning and I would love for someone else to feel that joy. I just hope the sour apples that lurk around don't become even more sour since even with increased chances of winning they still didn't win.

Personally I think it'd help if a person could only win once every two-three years or so...more of a chance for people who've never won to get it that way...

Personally I think it'd help if a person could only win once every two-three years or so...more of a chance for people who've never won to get it that way...

No please no. If I cant win another placed prize this year I would like a chance at HM. Its not nice to exclude peoples.

And? Its their egg, if they only wanna trade it with other winners its their choice, like people who only do blood swaps of certain breeds like the pyralspites which seem to be extremely hard to get of any biome that isnt volcano. So if Hollies had remained as rare as they are and a few of those with CBs decided to only blood swap for other second gens would you demonize them too? Thankfully the introduction of HM allowed for more hollies given but geez if its not for the masses then its evil because since the masses didnt win they have to have that second gen?

Again, the game is played different ways and if some prize owners only wanna blood swap they have their reasons and the right to. if it rubs you the wrong way then thats a personal view and opinion. That does not mean they are purposefully rubbing it in your face that you can't have it. You personally feel that way, dont use that as an excuse to try and say they do it on purpose, or that they feel like big money.

Red once pointed out that if someone is willing to pay an arm and a leg for something you have, why should you accept less? I mean you can. These owners know what their eggs are worth and want to get what they think it is worth for them. depends on who gives in or not. If no one gives in they have to lower the price. Again, patience and know who to negotiate with and when.

The problem isn't that they are only trading with other Prize owners, its that they are trying to do so in every single one of the trading threads that allows for it. I would really like to see posts where the "want" is ONLY Prize dragons in its own thread, and have it not allowed in any other threads.

That way, those of us who are trying to find people who will accept something other than low gen Prizes actually can, and we don't have to look at those offers that only a tiny percentage of the userbase can hope to satisfy.

Cheers!

C4.