TJ09

ANSWERED:Time-based egg slot

I think only one gained egg slot (and possibly three more hatchie slots) after a year is best. I don't see a reason to continue to get more.

It'd be nice if there was a little trophy to accompany this, maybe a birthday cake.

Edited by PieMaster

It'd be nice if there was a little trophy to accompany this, maybe a birthday cake.

That would be great! Maybe the extra slot can be linked to that trophy or something, too. I'm not sure how the code really works for it, but it might help keep it separated or something?

This DEFINITELY has my two thumbs up.There's been many a day that I stare at the top of my scroll and think that I'll NEVER finally reach either the gold trophy OR the ridiculously CUTE magicarp badge so to have this would be ever so AWWWWWESOOOOME!

Please do! smile.gif

Edit:

I think only one gained egg slot (and possibly three more hatchie slots) after a year is best. I don't see a reason to continue to get more.

This too.

Edited by MessengerDragon

Oh, yes! Please!

I think this is a great idea and it seems fair to everyone, no matter their play style.

I would love to have a couple of extra hatchie slots along with it, but even without that I would love to have an even number of egg slots. I just never have enough room for all the eggs I want.

HECK yes. I think this is a great idea and a nice reward for people who've been willing to stick it out in the game for at least a year. smile.gif

(not sure how many people don't get gold within a year, but it's certainly possible)

I was here longer than that before I even got my silver trophy, IIRC. To me, it was always about quality over quantity. That, and I wasn't such a dedicated DC player for a while, it was just something to do for fun.

That said, I like this idea. biggrin.gif I was thinking before that there should be a "platinum trophy" for those with over 1000 dragons. It still seems crazy that anyone could collect so many, but here I am with *checks banner* over 700 dragons when I never thought I'd have more than one or two hundred. blink.gif No intention of stopping yet either! laugh.gif

I would love to have 8 eggs xd.png Totally support, please add this feature as soon as possible.

However would this be reversible? What happens if the year after that you earn the extra slot you won't play? Would you loose your time-based egg slot? unsure.gif

I also support a badge for this, something that shows you have an extra slot, no matter the trophie. A little candle could be nice.

Edited by Naruhina_94

Add another egg slot for users that have been around for over a year, regardless of badge.

While I surely could put the 8th egg slot to good use, I have to say I am not very fond of the "be around for 1 year, get an egg slot" idea.

(What is "being around" anyway?

Does this mean 1 year right after account creation, no matter the activity? What if a person creates an account and stops playing after a half year?)

Also, I can imagine how the cunning multiscrollers who aren't getting caught at all clap their hands right now. If there is no restriction they can get additional egg slots for all their scrolls.

Also, I can imagine how the cunning multiscrollers who aren't getting caught at all clap their hands right now. If there is no restriction they can get additional egg slots for all their scrolls.

1) If you see a “cunning multiscroller“ go and report them. I know for a fact that TJ checks reports and burns offenders.

2) what's an eggslot, when you can have 8 new with 2 additional scrolls?

--- about the time to reach gold trophy: you can do it in 50-60 days with a little trading or a little help, if you know dc well

While I surely could put the 8th egg slot to good use, I have to say I am not very fond of the "be around for 1 year, get an egg slot" idea.

(What is "being around" anyway?

Does this mean 1 year right after account creation, no matter the activity? What if a person creates an account and stops playing after a half year?)

I suspect that you have to have been on DC for a year and be somewhat active to get this egg slot (similar to the users that were purged from the Thuwed list for being inactive).

Also, I'm not quite sure how multiscrolling has any effect on the addition of an extra slot that could be used to a player's benefit. People can multiscroll just as easily with 7 slots as they can with 8. Not condoning multiscrolling, just pointing this out. Whitebaron summed it up perfectly.

Even numberrrrrrrsssssssssss

You have no idea how much the number 7 bugs me when grabbing new eggs, I love the idea of earning another egg slot to literally even things out. xd.png

Been here since 2008 so I remember the whole '4 egg slots +1 if you breed' thing and all the way up to earning 7.

It'd also keep new people willing to play for at least a year to earn it, showing dedication!

Yes yes a thousand times yes!

Even after playing dragcave for years, when the trophies were introduced it was a long time until I got my gold trophy. So... it's not as quick as you'd think to get to 500 dragons if you're new. Unless you're obsessively collecting them.

Looking at math, and correct me if I'm wrong....

Brand spanking new character, who somehow manages to be gifted 12 babies a week. No reds, no incubates, 6 days to grow up minimum. It'd take about 4 6-day sessions with getting the maximum number of growing things, which is 3 weeks, 3 days. That's to get to 50, and the first egg slot.

Bronze badge! This person gets 15 hatchlings/eggs a week. Leaving out reds, that's too many variables right there dependent on how many reds they have. Let's say none. 15 babies, still taking 6 days to hatch. 150 to go to get silver badge, that's 10 6-day sessions. 2 more months.

Silver badge! 18 growing things a week. 300 more dragons to go. About 17 6-day sessions, that's 102 days, or just over 3 months. That's half a year right there. Sure, they'd most likely get reds and have lots of incubates, but how many of them would get themselves scroll locked every single week? That'd be very boring. Not to mention, they'd have to get pretty much nothing but hatchlings hatchlings hatchlings, no grabbing eggs.

So... yeah, a jump from half a year to a year isn't that much of a penalty to earn one more egg slot. It's a goal to strive for in a game of collecting dragons.

I prefer a more leisurely game, myself. I've been scroll locked the past few days and trust me, I HATE it.

To everyone who says "I can't imagine anyone would be against this!" - yes, people against higher egg/total limits exist. I am one.

That said, I'm not totally against this particular idea (unlike most of the higher limits ideas I've heard). Rewarding users for their loyalty is great, and letting people have an even number of slots seems to be desired (I had no idea that bothered people). Going up to 8 egg slots is probably fine if this isn't going to lead to a slippery slope of more and more egg slots.

All other pet collection games I've played with higher limits (even 10 eggs or so) have caused me to quit very quickly because of this. Playing becomes boring, much more about putting random stuff in the slots than making interesting decisions about what you want to spend your limited space on. I put thought into which dragons I raise, keeping my emotional connection to the game at a higher level and keeping me interested in the game. There is no interesting challenge if I can just grow anything I want anytime.

Another reason that I value the current limitations on scroll slots are that it limits the amount of time I spend hunting, the amount of time I spend breeding, the amount of time I spend setting up trades, the amount of time I spend logging and spreadsheeting my dragons as they are growing, etc. More slots just sounds like that much more of a time sink for very little benefit.

I'm sure many of you are thinking "well, then you just keep playing with only 7 slots and let us get what we want!" - well, things don't work like that. I am just as greedy and tempted by pretty lineages as anyone else, which will override that decision frequently.

Lastly, we are always going to grumble and moan about insufficient scroll space, no matter what. The grass is always greener on the other side. Sure, we all would enjoy the luxury of the 8th slot for a year or two, then people would get antsy again because their playing strategies had modified to critically need that 8th slot and still overflow sometimes and want more slots. Then you'd start campaigning for another slot, again. Where does it end?

Rewarding loyalty is awesome. Getting an 8th slot for that would be fine, as long as it doesn't go further and further down the slippery slope of more and more slots, in my opinion.

2) what's an eggslot, when you can have 8 new with 2 additional scrolls?

Well, to get 8 egg slots you will first have to have 500 dragons and a gold trophy, which not all users have due to their scroll goals/lack of time.

Then, and I could be wrong of course, I kinda think that some multi-scrollers do not use their extra scroll(s) like their main scroll => their main scroll might have gold trophy status while their other scrolls have no trophy or bronze trophy status as they use them only for catching rares/holidays and creating NDs, for example.

Rewarding such people with additional egg slots is not the way to go, in my opinion. All they need to do is to log in from time to time and wait a year. Which is probably why I am not fond of the idea. I would prefer it if people get a reward for raising dragons - the way it has been until now - and not "be somewhat active for a year and get an egg slot" only.

If it was "raising 1000 dragons => platinum trophy => 8/24 limit", I would be all for it. Because raising 1000 dragons is work and takes time.

Well, to get 8 egg slots you will first have to have 500 dragons and a gold trophy, which not all users have due to their scroll goals/lack of time.

Not this suggestion - you would only have to have been here x long - you could go from 4 to 5, for instance

Not this suggestion - you would only have to have been here x long - you could go from 4 to 5, for instance

that's exactly why he doesn't agree with this suggestion.

I think that one slot won't help multiscrollers as making more accounts (just 2 fake acocunt give 8 egg slots even without any type of trophy...).

I think that we could take the risk in order to have benefits for all the honest users. This doesn't mean that I don't support he platinum trophy. I would love to have a new type of goal like this.

Maybe add 1 Eggslot per year since your're playing... ;D

This would make sense to me.

But what about the Hatchies?

Edited by Aurora-Silver

that's exactly why he doesn't agree with this suggestion.

I think that one slot won't help multiscrollers as making more accounts (just 2 fake acocunt give 8 egg slots even without any type of trophy...).

I think that we could take the risk in order to have benefits for all the honest users. This doesn't mean that I don't support he platinum trophy. I would love to have a new type of goal like this.

No - he says:

and goes on to suggest that people will just use that possibility to multiscroll.

Whereas I see it as a way for a regular player who doesn't want to have a HUGE scroll to have more opportunities to build lineages anyway. In a way it's like those people who are having the most trouble getting a GoN because they don't want to have to have a zillion Legendaries on their scrolls. This is a way to help, or reward, those with a different, less acquisitive playstyle but who still play assiduously.

Extra scroll space does seem like a good idea in general, I wouldn't mind that. However, in relation to that I'm concerned about the possible bottleneck effect it may create with the 8/21(; 7/18; 6/15; 5/12) limits.

Even with 7 eggslots very often I face the situation when I'm locked because of hatchlings, not eggs. Even if a player doesn't *trade* for low-time eggs or hatchies, if they regularly catch/breed eggs and incubate them, eventually they'll be stuck with hatchies for a while. It's always been quite the annoyance to me, and with 8 eggslots to use that state would be reached even faster every time.

What I also mean is, what's the actual point of having so many eggslots if, given the total limits, an active player would often end up being locked with hatchies and wouldn't be able to actually use those eggslots often enough anyway? xd.png

Given that, I'd very much prefer something like a trophy of a higher level or a scroll limit upgrade that would have to do with both egg and hatchling slots, like 8/24 as has been mentioned in this thread already.

In addition to that I agree than one year of being a DC user may not be that much of a sign of dedication to the game. In this sense having a certain amount of dragons may be a more accurate criteria of how active a user is. Raise 1000/2000/[whatever] dragons and get more space - that approach I find nicer. ^^

To sum up, if adding an eggslot for one year of playing is the only acceptable improvement, then sure, support. But if there are possible alternatives to this, personally I'd prefer a new trophy or a system that would give a couple extra hatchling slots in addition to the single eggslot.

Edited by ZzelaBusya