Descripforce

Description Force!

My goal is to knock this backlog completely out in about 2-3 months. Afterward, I'm planning on reviewing at least once a week/once every two weeks and keep it down under 1,000 at all times. (I know the second part is unlikely/tricky, but I'll do my best.) I've done 4,000 descriptions in about 2 weeks.

As for what natayah said in regards to descriptions that don't get accepted, that's typically all of the descriptions I tend to reject (I've rejected A LOT, maybe more than I've accepted). A lot of the problem with many of these descriptions is that many people do not read their comments. I typically try to make corrections for them (usually just consisting of commas, spelling errors), but if it's a huge long list of corrections in the comments, I simply advise that they proofread and reject. I also find that many dragons (even many with 99.99) will be speaking of the wrong gender or they go against the dragon description. It's very tricky to review these since it is so easy to let these things slide.

I hope that more and more people use the description threads, but it's hard to ask of people, especially if they aren't a part of the forums.

I know Earth Gurl, Rainstar, Socks, Purpledragonclaw (ETA sorry forgot you!), and other mods have been really dedicated to knocking out descriptions. Earth Gurl set a really amazing goal of trying to get rid of the backlog within 2-3 months. I think with that sort of dedication, maybe we should consider pitching in to help reach that goal!

How many descrips would you pledge to to review each week to help reach that goal for the next few months? Anyone want to start a pledge or banner or goal counter potentially? I think it would be a lot of fun!

Also, if things got that fast, and you knew your descrip would be commented on and go from pending to approved within a period of 1-4 weeks, maybe 1-6 weeks, would you feel a lot more excited about writing descrips and being involved with this?

What do you guys think? Are there any new dragon descrips that are now viewable as pending or approved you are excited to see on your dragons? Any particular comments you found helpful? Anything you would like to see done or added? Would you join in?

Edited by natayah

I'll shamefacedly admit I haven't reviewed in weeks, real life has been keeping me busy and my time on my PC is basically limited to work. I'll make the effort to knock out 15 a day with an overall goal of 100 a week.

I'll make sure to post here more as well.

This hatchling is an anomaly. Males of his species are generally timid and submissive toward other dragons. Not this little guy though. He is loud, brash, bold and not afraid to show off. Some attribute this to his inability to age and mature. Blacktip males generally adopt their signature attitude as they grow, though some gain it later than others. As a result of his odd personality, the hatchling doesn't live among other Blacktips.

Instead, he took up residence among a flock of local seagulls. He learned to prowl the beachside for scraps as they did and skim the sea for fish, finding a way to keep himself fed well enough. Eventually, proud as ever, he started bossing around the seagulls and became their "Leader" through use of his sharp claws and sharper teeth. Humans were driven from the small beach that became his territory as a result.

On warm summer days the hatchling can be seen strutting along the sand, full of himself and followed by his feathered "Friends".

Just typed this up, I want to get some opinions on it. Here's the little hatchling being described:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/XfMwQ

@Purple - I didn't mean to make you feel bad! I'm so sorry if it did so! And honestly, the mods do a lot of great work, and I appreciate if any feel they want to pitch in, but that was more directed at players specifically. Because if more players review and "approve" a description, it will at least show as a pending description and really helps out you mods to make the process faster.

@C88 I saw the descrip and commented on it. I liked it as it was. I will defer to other reviewers if they feel there is some grammar related stuff to improve on, but I thought it was just fine and fun. Nothing that jumped out as wrong, specific to dragon, interesting story and plenty to make him unique and tell a story, and I appreciate that you put in a bit more effort than just a single sentence or two. (Nothing wrong with people who do that - can do that just fine with a descrip. But you obviously put some time and care into your work and that certainly gets Kudos & I enjoy reading & encouraging people to write more when they feel inclined).

I'm glad you liked it natayah. The whole idea spawned from how the sprite makes it look as if he's strutting xd.png

Here's another description for another frozen hatchling I'm looking for opinions on:

Qwack is not a dragon. He is a duck. He has known this with absolute certainty for as long as he can remember. So he looked a little odd and couldn't swim very well, but he could fly better than the other ducks and quack louder too. Qwack doesn't like humans very much, though. He was just happily waddling along when some weirdo in a robe picked him up. After several displays of flashing lights and chanting Qwack did not understand, he was placed back beside the pond where he lived. Qwack continued to go about his daily routine regardless of this incident, swimming along with the other ducks and quacking for breadcrumbs.

https://dragcave.net/lineage/qWuck

Here is Shiny and striped's updated description:

This dragon is nicknamed Shiny because of his cyan scales. He Is very shy, and kind too. He likes water, and somehow can't fly. He often acts silly too, as he once tried to hoard water, and as a result turned his nest into an aquarium. Now he leave that nest there for people to come view the fishes inside of it, and the people will leave prey for him to eat. He is Bolz's good friend, and Air Pearl is his mate.

Feel free to leave advices and comments!

Finally my time is freeing up! I'll be available next Sunday the 26th for a review jam. Is anyone else free?

*waves* Me! I can be there for some of the day.

Not going to irc, but I will do a reviewing blitz.

Backlog is officially under 10,000!

Edit 2/23: Officially under 9,000!

Edited by Earth Gurl

You are officially a description HERO \o/

Honestly: THANK YOU - very much so <3

This pygmy is nicknamed Tiny because he is surprisingly tiny for a pygmy dragon, he is only the size of a kitten. He is quite shy and is a bit of a coward. He has a small cave somewhere on the edge of a cliff, and he hides his cave perfectly. He just doesn't want contact whatsoever. He once sneak into someone's house, and literally got beated up by a cat. Now he avoids towns as much as possible, beside from him going to Bolz's shop to get some eggs.

Well I changed his name and this abstain confused me.

Abstain: This descrip is very nice, but I am not certain at this point it isn't a copy of your other pygmy. Make sure both are clearly distinct. Then fine.

Abstain guy, i'm also aware that THIS IS THE SAME GUY.

Edit: I finished his description.

Edited by Rainbowlight

Backlog is officially under 10,000!

Awesome! biggrin.gif *hands out brownies to celebrate*

The numbers on the graph look like we are almost at being lower than 8000, and I tend to know Earth Gurl's numbers are usually a bit lower (the graph may take longer to catch up to the modPowerTeam).

That is a LOT of descriptions reviewed and approved/rejected by mods within a rather short period of time. It's gonna be down below 5000 very soon, and our mods seem determined to get that backlog DONE.

Is anyone else interested in helping review a bit more than they might normally do, or do it a bit more often? If you are going to be joining (not necessarily on the forums or on the IRC - even just on your own), feel free to post where you are if you like!

Still making sure to do an hour or more per day!

Thanks so much, Earth Girl - and any other mods helping out - for kicking description butt! I'm so sorry I have been absolutely zero help, but it looks like you don't even need the help!

\(^.^)/

user posted image

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

*waves pom poms and leaves brownies for the reviewers and mods*

@ the mods/TJ: When you get the error screen, do the comments you just posted on a description stay or poof?

I can do a few minutes now, will return later today to do more.

I believe they go poof. Can you retrieve them by hitting the Back button on your browser?

I'm trying to hit some now.

I believe they go poof. Can you retrieve them by hitting the Back button on your browser?

I'm trying to hit some now.

I just tried this and it just takes you back to the account page, but if you hit the Forward button after it seems like that brings you back to the description you'd just done. So I guess the comments do go poof sad.gif. Ah well, there's always copy/paste!

Edit: Just tested it again and it actually tells you "You've already checked that description" if you try to re-do the one you've just done, so it looks like the comments don't go poof after all!

Edited by Alectrona

Thanks, Alectrona! That's good news. Off to do some more again (did a bunch this afternoon, too!).

Addendum - I'm growing tired of the error screen so I'm going to stop now. Good night!

Urgh, it's happening again:

user posted image

Has anyone detected a pattern to these error screens?

Edited by Lagie

We are officially below 8,000! I'm currently on Falconiforms, and I'm going alphabetically. There were sooooo many Embers.

We are officially below 8,000! I'm currently on Falconiforms, and I'm going alphabetically. There were sooooo many Embers.

Congrats! Keep up the great work! biggrin.gif

*leaves brownies for all for sustenance*

We have almost slayed the evil Backlog beast holding our lovely stories, dragons, creativity and stories of legend hostage by almost 50%. So if we are almost half way there, who else wants to join in the fight to slay this horrid beast?

If you aren't sure where to start, just ask! And if you have been joining in, consider making a post to let others know you have joined the battle!

user posted image

(Note: originally posted this in related but incorrect thread. Not spamming as that post was deleted).

Edited by natayah

Speaking of reviewing descriptions, I've been doing a bit of that and signing 'KoD'. May I get that put on the list of comment signatures in the first post?

...There's no instructions attached to getting on the list, so I take it I should just pop in here and ask.

Oh yes, and I"m signing most of mine (I occasionally forget or run out of space) as NAT