Descripforce

Description Force!

I was actually thinking of making this a regular Sun thing for me. I don't typically have enough time these days to review every day, but I bet I could review for at least an hour every Sunday. I'll try to post here in this thread when I'll be in IRC.

Once I finish with sunstones and yellow-crowneds, I'll also take requests of what breed to tackle next (Tabs has first dibs, though, since she asked about this in chat). ^^

I could make a Sunday date when I am able, which I should be able to fit in at least a bit even when things get busy. Sounds like quite a bit of fun. I hope others who may be even mildly interested, or just want to see what its about, or just come over for fun, consider joining in.

I highly recommend for anyone who plays DC, especially before the Holidays, become accustomed with the basics of joining the DC chat room and other chat rooms. It will make your holiday collecting and breeding and fun soooo much more easy. So this is a wonderful group to start visiting and getting involved with!

Sunsongs are finished now, too. ^-^

Next up, I think I'll do Flamingo, Swallowtail, and Ice.

I would certainly like to make this a regular thing for me as well. I'll try to do some reviewing every weekend, Saturday and/or Sunday.

I'd like to join the Description Force - is there anything I need to do first (like register in this thread or something)?

No such formalities necessary smile.gif

We welcome EVERYBODY. If you want people to know who you are you might "register" a certain letter combo with which you sign your comments. That way people can look up who left that lovely/helpful comment biggrin.gif

No such formalities necessary smile.gif

We welcome EVERYBODY. If you want people to know who you are you might "register" a certain letter combo with which you sign your comments. That way people can look up who left that lovely/helpful comment biggrin.gif

Great, thank you, herk! Actually, I just read and later reviewed some of your descriptions, that's what made me want to join the DF. smile.gif My initials would be ws.

In the reviews I've done so far, I didn't leave a comment if a description was ok, only if there were problems or if I thought it was especially good. If that's not the way it should be done, please let me know.

ETA: I read that Socks said one sentence could be enough to describe a dragon, no need to elaborate. But is "Mate of [insert dragon name here]" a valid description? (Or should such questions be posted in the Description Guidelines thread?)

Edited by walkinslow

I am certainly in to help as soon as I have a free Sunday or any free time at all. smile.gif Sorry I missed last Sunday!

Just so ya'll know I love it when I see well known reviewers' signatures on comments. The feedback is very useful to mods, especially when we need to go through descriptions quickly. Thank you all.

Great, thank you, herk! Actually, I just read and later reviewed some of your descriptions, that's what made me want to join the DF. smile.gif My initials would be ws.

In the reviews I've done so far, I didn't leave a comment if a description was ok, only if there were problems or if I thought it was especially good. If that's not the way it should be done, please let me know.

ETA: I read that Socks said one sentence could be enough to describe a dragon, no need to elaborate. But is "Mate of [insert dragon name here]" a valid description? (Or should such questions be posted in the Description Guidelines thread?)

I guessed as much. BTW "Russia" as a country wouldn't be OK, but "Russian" (Swallowtail) is the dragon's name, so it's no RL reference at all wink.gif

Also I usually say something like

"A name/ A mate is NOT a description."

or "Names are not personalities"

or "Breeding notes are not a description of personality."

I have MANY standard rejects tongue.gif

No, those are not approvable. It needs to be something we can't see for ourselves, such as personality, backstory, or hobbies.

I missed it! ohmy.gif I was offline Sunday and Monday - but I should be able to be around evenings again from Friday and regular Sundays sounds like a great idea!

You know, if someone put "Princess is the mate of Prince." and then put like another 2 sentences afterward that gave even the smallest iota of some personal things like "She really loves her children and her mate and her favorite food is fruit. She is very beautiful and likes to sing."

This would make all the difference. So stating that a dragon is So and So's mate isn't a bad way to start a description (especially if their mate also had a description and briefly mentions his mate as well then its awww so sweet). But really, even a generic description with 3 sentences I think makes all the difference. As long as that description isn't about obvious physical attributes of the breed the breed descrip already makes clear.

You wouldn't say a bright green dragon is bright green and has spots and is the mate of Fred. There has to be SOMETHING that makes this dragon a little different, which is what usually falls under "personality." Heck, that dragon could be "the most boring dragon ever. He just sits and counts rocks all day and never moves." It's that extra 3 seconds that makes the difference.

If people want to make notes of who is a mate to who, then what they want to do is write their support under the tabs and/or tags Suggested Requests to maybe have that implemented in game for those kinds of notes. They just don't belong under descriptions.

I cannot agree enough with what natayah posted, most of the descriptions I've rejected do just that: describe the dragon's mate or their color in one sentence and that's it. Just two or three descriptive sentences that describe your dragon make all the difference, for me it's the difference between an approval and a rejection (as long as those additional sentences fit the species).

Sunday was a lot of fun, and if it does become a regular thing I'll certainly try to join in whenever I'm free~ ^-^

Even though I've been playing DC for a while now, that was the first time I can recall spending any actual time in the Chat. lol So yes, I'll second what natayah said about this being a nice group to talk with, especially if (like me) you're a bit daunted by the IRC. :3

(ETA: And thank you to whichever mod approved one of my Antarean's descriptions so quickly! :D Though I did have to resubmit, since when I went to check for comments I saw her description had been affected by the quotation mark bug.)

Edited by Denwayasha

Sunday WAS a lot of fun and inspired me to write some descrips again for a change - as some of you might have noticed biggrin.gif

BTW Mathcat, when did you stop signing your comments? I only figured out it was you when you referred to one of your dragons in a comment.

I wrote a couple of Magis, finished describing my Doctor Who lineage, did the rest of the non-CB Descripdoom rainbow, and did one quarter of my Slime/Ridge checker project (a bit over 50 all in all)

I feel accomplished.

Edited by herk

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to comment and point out mistakes on pending descriptions. I often overlook mistakes when reading stuff that I wrote myself.

I'm headed to the IRC. Hoping to get yellow crowns and a request done before I go shopping with my roommate. =)

EDIT: Thanks for joining me! We got a couple hundred descriptions done. We're down to 13k pending.

We finished yellow-crowns and flamingos. I'm looking forward to the end of the blacks at some point here. I've spent quite a few hours going through them. I'll try to finish them off this week. ^^

EDITx2: I did it! *collapses* I hate leaving things unfinished. x3 Black dragons officially finished.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I'm headed to the IRC. Hoping to get yellow crowns and a request done before I go shopping with my roommate. =)

EDIT: Thanks for joining me! We got a couple hundred descriptions done. We're down to 13k pending.

We finished yellow-crowns and flamingos. I'm looking forward to the end of the blacks at some point here. I've spent quite a few hours going through them. I'll try to finish them off this week. ^^

EDITx2: I did it! *collapses* I hate leaving things unfinished. x3 Black dragons officially finished.

Wow Socky congrats and thanks as always to you and any other mod involved smile.gif

Just a quick heads-up:

Among other stuff I described everything in this lineage that wasn't described - so around 40 dragons. About half of them (the non-CB) share this introductory paragraph:

High up in the eastern mountain range, almost exactly half the way to the top of the highest peak, there's a large, peaceful lake fed by a subterranean source. Living in that lake is a small pod of Waterhorses. Around the lake there's a wide area of meadows and alps, providing rich nutrition to a variety of animals as well as a home to a group of Ridgewings. Although these two breeds seldom have an opportunity to meet, these specific Waterhorses and Ridgewings have formed a close bond, living together as one.

So if you see any of those just skip the 1st paragraph after the first time. It's c&p for the lineage project and jump right to the second one so you won't grow tired of the repition wink.gif

The individual paragraphs are all different enough to hopefully keep you entertained.

Edited by herk

I'm gonna watch a movie on my lappie and then get to descriptions. I'll also answer your PM, herk. =p

So I'll see you all in the IRC in a couple of hours. =)

EDIT: I was wildly unmotivated today, but Rain finished swallowtails! I'm partially through nebs. Desipis are next on the list. :3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I've been playing for almost two years and only just now decided to pay attention to the descriptions! Still very new to this feature, but I have critiqued about 10 or so today to the best of my ability. Hope that helps. I think for every description I submit I will critique 10 25 others...to get my creative juices flowing again. smile.gif

Edited by purplenewt

I've been playing for almost two years and only just now decided to pay attention to the descriptions! Still very new to this feature, but I have critiqued about 10 or so today to the best of my ability. Hope that helps. I think for every description I submit I will critique 10 25 others...to get my creative juices flowing again. smile.gif

Welcome to the crew!

That's what I tend to do - write one, review many! (And then review more even when I don't describe. It's always fun to see what other people have to say.)

Come join us in #descripdoom someday.

Augh, I did not get as much of my thesis written today as I hoped, so I'm going to have to work tomorrow as well. I'm hoping to get done early enough to come back and do some descriptions, but if not, I'll make it up to you guys next weekend by working extra hard this week and reviewing both Saturday and Sunday. <3