Descripforce

Description Force!

I'm still in for next weekend.  Who will join me?

I'm in. smile.gif

Schoolwork > DC. Sad but true.

I won't be in chat until the chat issue gets fixed. As I understand it, only TJ can fix this particular issue (or Fizzix, but as best I can tell, they've gone inactive), and he has the upcoming event to be dealing with right now. I'll be reviewing this weekend, but I probably won't be in Descripdoom.

I won't be in chat until the chat issue gets fixed. As I understand it, only TJ can fix this particular issue (or Fizzix, but as best I can tell, they've gone inactive), and he has the upcoming event to be dealing with right now. I'll be reviewing this weekend, but I probably won't be in Descripdoom.

We can keep this thread alive that weekend (or use CPA, if you'd prefer)!

I've been reviewing descriptions all week, so I'll most likely be able to help this weekend. smile.gif

The descriptions page has a new layout!

user posted image

Beautiful.

I am reviewing - but some allegedly pending ones are greyed out and others aren't. What does this mean ? Also when I look at the dragons' pages, some descriptions I've reviewed show as pending and others don't... is that significant ? (This is the first big lot I've done since pending ones started to show up...)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "greyed out." Do you have a screenshot? As for whether or not a specific pending description shows up, that depends on the "reviewing power" (how well their Accepts/Rejects align with moderator decisions) of the reviewers who accepted it.

I am reviewing - but some allegedly pending ones are greyed out and others aren't. What does this mean ? Also when I look at the dragons' pages, some descriptions I've reviewed show as pending and others don't... is that significant ? (This is the first big lot I've done since pending ones started to show up...)

Are you sure you've scrolled right to the bottom to get to the not-greyed-out part?

I keep thinking there's something wrong then remembering I have to scroll now to get to what I want to read.

Ah, that. I've been fooled by that a time or two (and once came across one that was blank, so there was nothing that wasn't greyed out).

I'll be reviewing this weekend, but I don't know if I'll be feeling particularly social (and not just because the chat issue is still an issue). I'll probably just lurk, as I generally do.

Edit: I'll just leave this here. Progress! Thanks to the moderators who are making a dent in the backlog this month.

Edited by Mathcat

Edit: I'll just leave this here. Progress! Thanks to the moderators who are making a dent in the backlog this month.

Wow! ohmy.gif Well done, mods, and thank you! biggrin.gif

Thanks to whichever mod went through and approved all of my descriptions today. I'm now at just under 2150 described dragons (with about another 1800 to go).

Thanks to whichever mod went through and approved all of my descriptions today. I'm now at just under 2150 described dragons (with about another 1800 to go).

No problem, Mathcat. That's amazing. smile.gif

Are you sure you've scrolled right to the bottom to get to the not-greyed-out part?

I keep thinking there's something wrong then remembering I have to scroll now to get to what I want to read.

Yes. It's not a biggie - I just wondered. I am cheerfully zipping through - it just seemed strange.

How many accepts does someone have to get to have it showing as pending on their page (a member was asking earlier why one of hers shows and the other doesn't - and I'm sure that';s the basis, but I don't know how many it takes; by coincidence I hit the one she was asking about in my next round, and approved it - and it still doesn't show, so clearly it's more that one xd.png...)

I wish now I had kept up with writing descriptions, but I'm about 5,000 behind now so...

It's based on the "reviewing power" of the people who approve the description - how much their approves/rejects agree with moderator approves/rejects. If you have a high enough "reviewing power," you can make pending descriptions appear or disappear with just your decision. I reviewed a gazillion descriptions a few years back, so if I click on Approve, my accept makes the description show up.

(Slight typo in my previous post - it's close to 2250 approved descriptions with about 1800 left. My 2017 writing goal is to get my number of undescribed dragons down to three digits.)

I'm trying to figure out which dragon to finish reviewing next. I've done all the drakes (edit: jk, about to work on the Ochredrakes), all the Arias, all the Hollies. I'm about to work on more holidays; if you guys have any suggestions, that would be fun. smile.gif

Edited by Earth Gurl

Let's go with a non-obvious choice from me - electric or thunder.

Edit: Has anyone been reviewing? Seen anything good? I know Dirtytabs and Kakaru_of_DOOM have a few descriptions out there. Nothing from me this time, though as I've hidden my scroll again, it's not as though you'd be able to tell.

Edited by Mathcat

I'm trying to figure out which dragon to finish reviewing next. I've done all the drakes (edit: jk, about to work on the Ochredrakes), all the Arias, all the Hollies. I'm about to work on more holidays; if you guys have any suggestions, that would be fun. smile.gif

How about spitfires and swallowtails? I'm trying to think of some breeds that don't get much love.

Some really nice ones have come from name-hidden scrolls or names that are new to me. There was one about a little gold that used the phrasing "offended, clueless shock", which I found really amusing.

Edited by dirtytabs

I've been reviewing! Found a nice tin one of Tabs'. tongue.gif

Back online now for an hour or so before I head home.

I did get a laugh the other day when I came across Tabs' dragon with the numbered list of random things, and then a few dragons later saw a different dragon with a numbered list of random characteristics (now I know what Tabs was talking about).

Edit: Also, here's that link again. Look at how much the purple line has gone down by over the past few days!

Edited by Mathcat

Finally my time is freeing up! I'll be available next Sunday the 26th for a review jam. Is anyone else free?

I've finished both the Electrics and Thunders, and I'm definitely free this weekend. smile.gifI'll be doing Spitfires and Swallowtails next. Done. I was supposed to be studying, but I like reviewing descriptions better. tongue.gif

Edited by Earth Gurl

My laptop scared the daylights out of me this evening with a driver error (monitor-related, I think), but as long as that was just a one-time glitch and not a sign of something dire, I can come back next weekend. Chat's still not an option, but I can at least do some reviewing.

I've been doing the later evening shift tonight, most of the work with reviewers was in the day and evening, but I'm having my own overnight party. The numbers are great on making improvements and we've certainly gotta schedule these at least 1 every 4-8 weeks. Maybe every 6 weeks is a better if 4 seems too much.

I hope that more people in time chime in and read this thread. It is really important. I forget to do it a lot, but I'm going to start doing this more. I really want to encourage creativity AND English AND writing. A lot of people are not native english speakers so this is a great way for them to practice and learn.

However, if you aren't sure, or are new and want some advice, sometimes it is better to post/ask here first than posting it on your description. Because it can be annoying to get "feedback" that tells you to fix a few small things, you make the changes, and THEN you have to wait again to get approved or pending approved. Grant it is so much faster these days, and at least you have the pending approval option so people can see it faster, which is a huge deal.

But if you just asked/posted here first, we could have already critiqued it, given you the A++, or suggested a few edits, you could have made them, and then knew when it came up in the queue it would be approved and DONE! So just something to consider if you are newer or want them reviewed and approved faster. Or especially if you keep getting comments about small edits or tweaks and want to get better faster feedback.

Also, I know it is frustrating to some people, and some people just don't know better, and some people are just trolling: But making descriptions that violate or do not comply within the guidelines (some things are very firm, and some things have TONS of wiggle room, but just ask first!) would make your descriptions approved faster. And they've gotten a ton faster in the past year than in the prior years.

Some things I see repeatedly that are No-Nos:

1. Saying the Dragon is the Mate of XXX and nothing further is not a valid description.

2. Putting nonsense stuff, especially short nonsense stuff, makes it look like you are trolling. That can technically get you a warning for abusing the system and be reported to a mod. Why bother since it requires effort?

3. Writing anger, frustration or other complaints about DC or how long your descrip took to get approved hurts everyone. If you want to vent to the admins, there are plenty of threads. The people who see those descrips the most are the Reviewers, who are NOT Admins/Mods, but regular players like you trying to be helpful. And it also just further clogs the system, hurting OTHER players and causing the situation you yourself complained about.

Also just a few other things that are helpful:

1.. I tend to recommend describing at least 2 traits of that dragon specifically (their personality, unique traits to them, event(s) in their life, etc). That's a good general rule.

2. A list of traits, or a form filled out without using sentence structure generally isn't going to work. There are great people who use this thread who know how to use all unique formats for descrips of a single sentence, poetry, list format, flowery language as if reading a long description of a setting in a novel, etc. and have it be perfect for a dragon description. If you would like to do this, read or ask for some examples from this thread. We'd love to share them!

3. Making references to real world languages: English, German, French, Italian, any other is a real world reference. Just like places in the real world, these don't exist in DC world. Just say it translates into xxxx and don't specify from where if you want to add it.

4. It is always nice to hear people say nice things to reviewers & mods. But some people write their thank yous in their dragon descrips. This isn't technically part of the dragon descrip and would need to be removed before being approved. The BEST place to say thanks is in this forum. Or in the Thank you Thread on the Forums. But really this forum/thread. If people are reviewing (mods & reviewers), really good chance they are hanging out here. Just so you don't have to delete it and then resubmit it for approval. Or if a mod has to go in and remove it manually (Not sure if they do that or even can do that). We appreciate the thanks, but we'd rather you put it here, make your descrips great on their own, and get them approved ASAP. We'll see your thanks here and appreciate it and associate it with you, I promise!

I hope other people consider joining in with descriptions. Sometimes I get ones and I just don't know what to do with them and realize that there are many other people who are better if I just don't know how to make the call. Just cuz it pops up on your screen doesn't mean you HAVE to do it. Just do a few now and again. That would make a huge difference. Because for good descriptions in the queue, after a few approvals they can show up as "pending approval" and... for my sake, when I write reviews, honestly, if people can see them, I don't really care if they are just "Pending" or "Approved." So let's help those people who take the time to be creative a chance to shine!

If you want to encourage player activity & events, but don't want to host or run an event, and don't feel you have a lot of stuff to offer or donate or give or don't have a lot of time ... this is a very simple activity that you can do as you have time when you want no pressure and it makes a huge difference!

And I love seeing those graph numbers drop. I get excited that so many more people are making new descriptions and I think the more we knock out that backlog, then more people can do it. I bet if people were willing to sign up or make a vow that they were willing to do just like at least 5 a week, we could knock out that backlog in 6 months or less so at least most of the descriptions are visible via "pending" or have feedback to rewrite and come here to join in if nothing else.

And just like hatcheries, if you do write descriptions, don't forget to give your fellow players some "review" love back. And if you think you might like to start writing descriptions, or are new and want some ideas, reading other stuff in the queue is a great way to see what you like and see what distinguishes those from "Needs Work" to "Ok Enough" to "Good" to "Fantastic" to "Just Magical and Unique You should Teach Us All!"

Not to double post - but anyone still going to carry on the reviewing into the Holiday Weekend as well? Since I have no life at the moment...