Descripforce

Description Force!

Grate!

It seems that the owner of some of my bred eggs is following the lineage name (by ths name of the ones I own. How genius of the people who owns their siblings.)

From what I can see is that I rejected because of second person and possibly the two fragments. Clean those up, and it makes a perfectly fine description. smile.gif

@Sock: I love brownies a lot. ninja.gif The chocolate-ier the better. xd.png

Thank you. I will take a look and edit it later on this evening.

Let's discuss this "breeding" thing.

I just went through a description in the queue that said "but she is hard to breed" (rest of the description omitted). I rejected it because it was hard to read due to lack of commas (phew?), but had it been grammatically correct, I still would've been reluctant to accept it on principle.

I don't mean to apply humanity to another creature, but dragons are stated to be intelligent. Can you imagine asking two humans to copulate and then note that "they are hard to breed" if they don't do as you say? I already barely accept dragons being owned by a human and having no qualms about it, but being called out for not having sex on cue or failing to produce an egg? Yes, wanting two dragons to pair up and continue their line is believable, but systematically breeding them as if they were pedigreed dogs is purely a game thing, or should be. We keep game things out of descriptions.

I find that that's problematic from an in-universe perspective, but there ARE ways to describe dragons who are "hard to breed" in a way that doesn't violate their, um, rights. Maybe descriptions like that mean to say they were uninterested in all their suitors, using the "breeding" shorthand, but they don't read like that.

How do you guys (reviewers and mods) look at it?

Descriptions are like the only feature where lore is the most important thing to consider. Saying a dragon is "hard to breed" makes sense in a game-playing context. But it does not really make sense if you consider the flow of the description, which is not "we're raising dragons on the internet" but "my dragons live long lives and have rich personalities". Saying "hard to breed" brings to mind someone mashing together two dragon toys like two barbies they're forcing to make-out.

So I would reject and suggest they change it to something like: "She is very picky about who she mates with" or "Although he desperately wants a big family, he is not that fertile and is lucky to have the small family he has". Something that flows better and is more logical in a description.

Firstly, to add to that discussion, totally agree with everything Socks Said, and Totally see that as a growing issue where, as tabs pointed out, "how a dragon breeds" gets added to their breed description. But it is done so in a way that sounds nothing like a story but more like a quick description about a game mechanic. As Tabs did in their art, "NOW KISS." Maybe we should post that silly pic here for reference. We might need to add those examples of things to watch out for and how to correctly do it to the "Better Description Writing: Good Writing while staying within the Criteria & sharing your creativity and dragons which we love" document being created.

I'm really glad I've started back up work and had various family emergencies over the past few weeks and general exhaustion all around to keep me from this game. Not that I dislike this game, but I really 1. Like having IRL stuff to accomplish as I feel the odds of what I do making an impact on a physical person vs internet people is greater and 2. I needed a slight break after diving in to description reviews for a period of time.

Beyond the mass amount of backlog that has been cleared (which is amazing and an incredible accomplishment on its own, thanks to everyone who even did a small part from writing, reviewing, approving/rejecting, inspiring others in whatever ways, etc.), I also like that the trend has caught on that, when something really needs more editing than can be done in the description review comment line and/or someone could really benefit from threads like this, that reviewers will sometimes make those references and people actually seek them out. Obviously not hundreds upon hundreds of people, and not always here, but at least they are seeking assistance (even if it comes off as being upset, confused, or various negative emotions first), ON THE FORUM, which is a fantastic thing. It means they can really get awesome feedback wherever they post it, can be directed to the correct places, get "real feedback that is easier to understand, explain and fix" because we have unlimited room to give it, often from more than one person, and it makes all the difference on getting that description edited/fixed/changed and resubmitted in a way that they know they can get it approved (mostly speaking) the next go round and without a long wait. Especially if a mod knows to be on the lookout for it.

Now that I have the weekend off (these new hours are killing me, and I am so glad I spent the night with my grandmother and family as I was able to be there when she passed tonight), I hope to give a little love to the Player Events and Activities Support Thread since that is my baby and I've been neglecting it (maybe it will turn into an awesome green dragon???) and do need to fix that a bit.

I do not really understand the frustration that people have that their descriptions are not "approved" just because they wrote them. I don't think people really get a good idea of how this works. And I certainly am glad for those who come to the forums and can get some answers which I think really helps clarify and shift their perception and, not only gets their current description fixed and approved more quickly, that they also get an idea of everything that goes into it and how LONG this process used to take and/or what the process is like in the future.

I know there isn't really a way to force people who don't have forum accounts to come on the forums. I am hoping that maybe when the backlog is cleared out completely and seems to have a pretty good upkeep time, that maybe TJ would be really to announce some "news" about some of the updated processes. Especially maybe if we update the "Help" file or give better references since answers from his AMA thread do directly impact that. I mean, I know the News section is more supposed to be bigger deal events and admin and game release changes that are "new", but I think starting fresh and a place to find documentation ongoing and references regarding a game activity that any user can do with or without a forum account (dragon descriptions) might be worthwhile to mention. Even if only to announce the backlog is gone and people are working on and/or have completed an updated help file and/or created a document/list of suggested practices and common mistakes. Or even just a link here.

I'm only really hoping for the news thread because that is the only thing that "posts" to the "Main DC Site" from the forum. And since it is a DC Site Function, I really feel the idea has merit.

I just felt like saying super gratz, I'm there with you in spirit, can't really join back in like I was for another week or two other than possibly a few short spurts here and there if I can even fit them in. In 3-4 weeks it will be totally different when my schedule changes to something more normal for my body cycle.

I just wanted to make a long note and try to see what the mods possibly thought about maybe talking to TJ about making a news "post/update" about this "game related updates & changes & ongoing changes & removed backlog" so that all players know, not just the forum users. Since not just forum users write and/or access descriptions. Maybe also make another mention about the ability to turn on to see "pending user descriptions" if they haven't already.

Much love always,

Natayah

PS - You know it is an imposter if they don't ramble and aren't overly verbose.

Edited by natayah

I finally finished Magi dragons. Moving onto Holidays next! smile.gif Sorry it took so long. Real life got in my way.

Thanks for the feedback, guys, and for reassuring me that I'm not nuts/overthinking the concept. C:

But it is done so in a way that sounds nothing like a story but more like a quick description about a game mechanic.  As Tabs did in their art, "NOW KISS."

That's with drakes, too, who probably don't mind as much as a dragon would.

user posted image

I totally agree about the frustration-about-not-being-approved thing. We frequent Description Force and the comments thread and do a lot of reviewing while most users don't, so I understand the usual writer wouldn't know what reviewing descriptions is like, and of course you can't take too much time on a single description when you're looking through hundreds at a time. I really, REALLY hope URLs show up correctly in comment boxes because I leave links to Description Force and other helpful sites (and sometimes not so helpful like the alot comic, heh heh), and even if they don't have a forum account, they can check out the thread.

Also, I've been very stern and curt in most of my comments lately, so an Abstain or Reject from DT probably isn't going to make the writer feel better. I reviewed a description about a bronze tinsel who obsessively loved bronze and once tried to steal some from a mine, and I gave it grammatical corrections and pointed out that bronze is an alloy and can't be mined unless the people there were also melting metals in there, and clicked Reject. A day later, the rewritten description appeared saying the dragon once tried to steal a bronze item from a jewellery store, and I realized I was kind of mean earlier and gave it a glowing review.

It would be great to see a little news post about descriptions (or a sticky?). I can't see TJ being deeply involved in description-related stuff now, so if it were to happen, he'd probably want to leave it to a mod.

EG, you're incredible. The graph line is a steep downward line. :0

I might just be completely out of the loop, but where is this graph that people are referencing? Am I missing something. huh.gif

Also thank you, dirtytabs. smile.gif

That art is hilarious btw xd.png

vv That is nifty. biggrin.gif

Edited by Earth Gurl

I might just be completely out of the loop, but where is this graph that people are referencing? Am I missing something.  huh.gif

I think it's this graph, which shows the number of descriptions in the backlog over the past six months smile.gif.

I think it's this graph, which shows the number of descriptions in the backlog over the past six months smile.gif.

Impressive!

*leaves many chocolate-y brownies*

I have finished Holidays! Any other suggestions for what dragon(s) to tackle next? smile.gif

Edit: I'll do seasonals next. And I don't remember what I said on your Vamp. I vaguely remember it.

Edit 2: DONE AND DONE. I need another suggestion. xd.png

Edited by Earth Gurl

How about winters?

My winter has been sitting around for a while

Or vampire?

And let me check my soulstone real quick

Now what is the problem with my vamp?

You can see that he is another shopkeeper so trading eggs is their living work.

Edited by Rainbowlight

How about winters?

My winter has been sitting around for a while

Or vampire?

And let me check my soulstone real quick

Now what is the problem with my vamp?

You can see that he is another shopkeeper so trading eggs is their living work.

If you post your vampire's description here, maybe we can offer some advice for improving it smile.gif.

Earth Gurl, how about doing the unbreedables?

I have finished Holidays! Any other suggestions for what dragon(s) to tackle next? smile.gif

Edit: I'll do seasonals next. And I don't remember what I said on your Vamp. I vaguely remember it.

Wow. How about fleshcrownes, teimarr, greenwings, and tangars?

The three avatars, perhaps? Creation, destruction, and change?

Asking in hindsight since I already rejected on this description, but does talking about a species which is not confirmed nor denied to even exist in Valkemare, and not talking about the dragon, a good enough reason to reject, even if it's written well aside from a blatant cut-off where they obviously ran out space?

This description was talking about drow society, I'm guessing specifically related to R.A.Salvatore's works, going off the name of the dragon, and while well written, was just talking about that and not about the dragon. I can only guess they were trying to use it as backstory, but even then, would it be allowed?

Edited by CharonDusk

My guess would be probably not. The description does need to be about the dragon in question. A short reference to the society might work within a description of the dragon.

I've just finished Vampires (good golly there were so many), and now I'm moving on to Dinos. smile.gif We are officially in the 4,000's!

Edit: Finished Dinos, and now all "unbreedables" are done. Moving onto Fleshcrownes. Oh wait, I've already done those. xd.png I'll do Teimarrs.

Edit 2: Teimarrs done, onto Tangars since Greenwings are already done.

Edit 3: Tangars done. Moving onto Avatars. This one will probably be a long haul. smile.gif

Edited by Earth Gurl

Bumping this because I've finished Avatars, and now I need a new suggestion. smile.gif

Pygmies, waterhorses, and nebulas. I keep seeing them as I'm reviewing. biggrin.gif

*leaves brownies for the hardworking mods*

Edited by Lagie

Bumping this because I've finished Avatars, and now I need a new suggestion. smile.gif

In honor of the new fire gems, how about one of breeds with pretty, shiny rocks in their design?

-Almerald

-Desipis

-Diamondwing

-Gemshard

-Kyanite

-Moonstone

-Nexus

-Pyralspite

-Sapphire

-Soulstone

-Stone?

-Sunstone

I've been reviewing on and off for ages, and only just now found this thread. ohmy.gif

The link for the description guidelines post returns an error message:

"Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

You do not have permission to view this topic"

I see in recent posts, people are taking on specific breeds to review. Are you just skipping over other breeds until one pops up, or is there an actual way to sort queued descriptions by breed? Thanks, Sock!

Edited by jocosa

I see in recent posts, people are taking on specific breeds to review. Are you just skipping over other breeds until one pops up, or is there an actual way to sort queued descriptions by breed?

Mods have more options here than users.

The link for the description guidelines post returns an error message:

"Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

You do not have permission to view this topic"

I suppose deleted(?) topics have that notice. Sock said... um, somewhere... that the description guidelines thread was replaced by the guidelines on the main site, which was deemed more appropriate.

You can find the link when you describe your dragons. ("Please read the Description Guidelines before giving your dragon a description.")

Edited by dirtytabs