Descripforce

Description Force!

9 hours ago, Mathcat said:

everything on my scroll except the leetle tree and the one growing hatchling now has a description.

Oh wow! Well done! :)

It has been a while anyways a description for my vampire dragon. A female named Lamiashtu

"The vampiric curse is a particularly virulent pathogen, only needing a single carrier for it to grow to unmanageable levels. This particular specimen is one of those examples, its origin being a single egg left to die by its mother after being infected. Despite all odds this specimen thrived and grew in the darkness leaving its cave under the cover of night to drain blood. Perhaps out of instinct to spread its curse or the loneliness of its existence the specimen has taken a much more morbid hobby, "adopting" orphaned eggs or stealing them from its victims to spread the curse like a festering wound. It now rules as a "queen" its once empty cave becoming a buzzing hive with its "offspring" as  its ever-growing population of drones. With the hive's hunting grounds growing steadily over the years, there are worries that this specimen will decide to spread its hive, drowning the area around it in a tide of blood and murder. An all too common occurrence with the vampiric curse."

Thoughts?

Edited by guyman

9 hours ago, guyman said:

Thoughts?

It's good, if a little creepily dark.

On 9/22/2023 at 10:10 PM, guyman said:

Thoughts?

thats really good! perfectly suits the breed. and thats a great name too! vampires are awesome

NLag5 Given all the lag we had lately this new Halloween dragon has a fitting code. I wrote a description to go with it but it doesn't have enough accepts to show up as pending yet:

Lag always assumed that the strange way time passed around him was normal. It would proceed at a snail's pace, stop entirely, then rush past incredibly quickly. When a Baikala tried to eat him, but froze in place, not responding to anything he counted himself lucky and swam off. Often though, he would be the unlucky one as the numerous scars down his flank attest. He'd be swimming along and find himself teleported inside the jaws of a Baikala, wincing as its teeth dug into his flesh. When breeding season arrived for the first time he found himself lonely and unloved. Other Abyss Watchers would play pranks on him. They would tease him by repeatedly swimming away from, and teleporting next to him. Once he was invited to a party. He thought everyone was t-a-l-k-i-n-g a-n-d s-w-i-m-m-i-n-g s-l-o-w-l-y on purpose. Now whenever he arrives at a party he is kicked as soon as the slow-moving dragons realize he is there.

7 hours ago, Chaos Rider said:

NLag5 Given all the lag we had lately this new Halloween dragon has a fitting code. I wrote a description to go with it but it doesn't have enough accepts to show up as pending yet:

XD Cute.

Any of you who use British spellings, if any have crept into your descriptions, you may need to check and resubmit them. One of my accepted ones (like, ten years ago accepted) got unapproved and rejected because I had colour instead of color. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Lagie said:

Any of you who use British spellings, if any have crept into your descriptions, you may need to check and resubmit them. One of my accepted ones (like, ten years ago accepted) got unapproved and rejected because I had colour instead of color. :rolleyes:

Is there any way to see when that happens or did you just click on your dragon randomly and noticed? I’m not entirely sure anymore which of my dragons have descriptions so while I’m very likely to have used British spelling I might have to let this go. 😅

5 hours ago, blah said:

Is there any way to see when that happens or did you just click on your dragon randomly and noticed? I’m not entirely sure anymore which of my dragons have descriptions so while I’m very likely to have used British spelling I might have to let this go. 😅

I clicked randomly on one I knew was described and discovered the description was gone. I have mine in a group so I went through the group and had to resubmit about twenty of them.

8 hours ago, Lagie said:

These will now be auto-corrected moving forward, so you won't have to resubmit if you're fine with colour becoming color for example. 

If you're not fine with it, do not resubmit with British spellings, it will be rejected.* 

*not my decision don't @ me. I have previously said this was fine and I apologize for my mistake, the guidelines do stipulate American English. 

Posted (edited)

Hey! I'd like y'all's thoughts on this description for an Arrakyma:

Spoiler

Curious in both senses of the word, Frilled Land-Shark enjoys following humans. Rather than trying to eat them, or chase them off, she simply wants to learn more about them. However, she's also rather mischievous. Often she'll circle them from a distance, slowly drawing nearer and instilling paranoia as she goes. She's especially amused by the more experienced travelers, who never seem to believe that she doesn't mean them harm, even after her caretaker's explanations.

Something about it is frustrating me, but I'm stumped on how to make it better. I'm also not sure it conveys the idea I'm trying to get across.

Edited by dinsfire24
Accidentally kept the formatting from my google document when I pasted the description in

14 hours ago, dinsfire24 said:

she simply wants to learn more about them. However, she's also rather mischievous. Often

It's this bit here. The However sentence jars a bit. Maybe try attaching it to the next one e.g. However, since she's rather mischievous, she'll often circle them from a distance...

Posted (edited)

Probably not that important, but is there a preference on single vs double quotation marks when writing descriptions? 

Edited by a_crazy_cat_lady
typo

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, a_crazy_cat_lady said:

Probably not that important, but is there a preference on single vs double quotation marks when writing descriptions? 

For speech, definitely use doubles. https://dragcave.net/view/Dave3 

For 'asides', use singles. https://dragcave.net/view/4VAXX

Edited by Lagie
typo

⬆️⬆️ Ah! I was wondering who "accl" in description comments was :)

A comment

This dragon is a sitarist with no name. Unlike a lot of dragons she knows whose names were stripped as punishment for some kind of dishonor, she was never given one because it would cover an aspect of her chosen by the decider. The decider is not the community leader or a monarch or any of the gods but something more primeval. It's not a living thing, but she sometimes attributes familiar traits to it so she could pretend to understand it. Because of the decider's doing, she feels a powerful urge to play the sitar, and play it well. Make a living of it. Become famous. She's followed the calling. Though this was a decision made for her, she does enjoy it, and she loves music. Some people are enthralled to find out about this virtuoso with her god-given musical skill (which is not true), while others think her talk about the decider is a bunch of mumbo-jumbo, and she's not that great. When others write or speak of her, they use nicknames and descriptors.

Accept: I like this a lot. It strikes a chord with me.

I like you! XD

14 hours ago, Dirtytabs said:

⬆️⬆️ Ah! I was wondering who "accl" in description comments was :)

Ahh I love reading your descriptions so much, they're always so funny! I've got quite good at guessing which are yours before I click on the dragon to see XD 

I need to schedule some description writing today, I'm trying to get on top of mine (if such a thing is even possible). 

Anyone know when Peer Approved became a status? :o I only noticed it today, but it may have been around awhile.

11 hours ago, Dirtytabs said:

Anyone know when Peer Approved became a status? :o I only noticed it today, but it may have been around awhile.

Is that on the pending descriptions?

Posted (edited)

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240411-094820.thumb.png.564a92bd25f51fb1ae19c8b91d12cadc.png

It's in the Describe action for a dragon, and attached to the "Awaiting Moderation." I have no idea when it showed up, but it's interesting!

Edited by euphoric_poptarts