Descripforce

Description Force!

I think I was more hung up on the word "carcinogen". I also consulted wikipedia, but I don't remember what it said about the word "cancer", but I feel like I've heard it used to describe a disease in some sort of a medieval setting.

Ok, thanks. I've swapped out my fancy vocabulary for more period-appropriate words.

On the topic of what to review next, have you done the mints yet? There might be some interesting descriptions on the new upside-down ones.

Ok, thanks. I've swapped out my fancy vocabulary for more period-appropriate words.

On the topic of what to review next, have you done the mints yet? There might be some interesting descriptions on the new upside-down ones.

Yeah I've got Mints done lol I've gotten through alphabetically to G (Guardian) and I've done all Holidays and Ubreedables. I've done all of the "stoney" stuff that Tabs suggested. BSA things are done except for Ice. (I think I'll do those next)

Well, I figure with such an extensive backlog, people would probably be very annoyed if they waited 4 years to get their description approved only to have it mod rejected for commas.  xd.png So I go through the already finished breeds if I see them pop up.

inb4 another hundred descriptions pop up overnight like the past couple of days.  xd.png

Oh no, I thought this meant we could edit them ourselves after approval and editted my Mint's (which was already approved) because I noticed a little typo... Back to waiting sad.gif

Edited by Articray

Oh no, I thought this meant we could edit them ourselves after approval and editted my Mint's (which was already approved) because I noticed a little typo... Back to waiting sad.gif

That is what that meant. You were right lol go check.

Also, working on Harvests right now. If anyone has any particular breed pending, let me know. smile.gif

Edited by Earth Gurl

That is what that meant. You were right lol go check.

Also, working on Harvests right now. If anyone has any particular breed pending, let me know. smile.gif

Ohhh I see, thank you! laugh.gif

I have a Shimmerscale that's been waiting for several weeks now and one that I just wrote, if that's not too much work wink.gif (and if you want, of course)

It seems a bit silly and useless at this point, but I think I can finally help out with descriptions. =o

It seems a bit silly and useless at this point, but I think I can finally help out with descriptions. =o

Help is NEVER silly and useless! ohmy.gif

*sets out brownies for the hard-working mods*

How about xenos and seasonals? (Forgive me if you've posted that these are done!)

Herk and I are going to try to get some reviewing done next weekend

Anyone who'd like to join us is more than welcome!

I would like to contest a rejection.

According to Wikipedia, cancer has been known about since the time of the Egyptians. Even if 'modern' Valkemarian humans are iffy about it, I figure dragons would have a more advanced knowledge of the malady. My (perhaps wrong?) assumption is that because it is alive, life magic makes it grow/can't mitigate it, so surely the whites would know it is a special set of diseases distinct from those they can easily cure. Plus, all the Hope lineage pinks know about it. I suppose I still don't have a defense for the word 'carcinogen'; do you want me to take it out?

Alternatively, I can blame it on the State of Californa making up the word. If you still don't like it, I can emphasize the night-glory drake's influence.

Even if cancer were observed and documented for thousands of years, I doubt people then had any idea what it is except something bad. In Earth history, it took a very long time for people to agree on what's happening in one's body and the causes. The narrator's tone and vocabulary suggest cancer is better understood than "life-related, growing malady", while I believe some vaguer terms would be more appropriate, or even defining "cancer" from the writer or dragon's point of view as this disease that's special/different, if you have space. "Carcinogen" is really too modern.

The alternative works, too, but it might be less satisfying. I made this kind of decision with Niels Bohr (Neils Bohr the canopy), since I decided it was hopeless to write a description about him if he weren't seen as a lunatic.

How about xenos and seasonals? (Forgive me if you've posted that these are done!)

I think seasonals are done. I have one from beginning of April that was approved. biggrin.gif

When xenowyrms are done, how about doing limbed noodledragons? (A.k.a. easterns.) Pretty please?

I'll work on Prizes next. smile.gif

@Sock: It's never silly and useless to help out. All of us mods are in this backlog together. happy.gif We're all a team. I'm the one who's late to the party anyway. xd.png

I gotta thank whoever approved my green Fire Gem's description so fast, but I messed up some spacing and had to resubmit it |D

Looks like I'll be working on more descriptions for the next few days. I'll do a bit of reviewing to help out in some way.

Working on Water dragons right now and Silvers next. I'll provide ya'll with a list of what dragons are left at this point because we're just under 3000 now. smile.gif

I finished Prizes and I'm working on Easterns. Let me know if there's any other specific breeds anyone wants done! I'm taking more suggestions. I won't be able to work again until Thursday, probably since I have a few tests and a concert to go to tomorrow night.

List of dragons that aren't done yet:

Guardian, Golden Wyvern, Hellfire, Hellhorse, Hooktalon, Horse, Kingcrowne, Guardian of Nature, Lumina (light and dark), Lunar Herald, Monarch, Neotropical, Nocturne, Olive, Pillow, Ridgewing, Royal Blue, Royal Crimson, Seragamma, Skywing, Speckle-Throated, Spirit Ward, Storm Rider, Striped, Sunset, Sunsong, Terrae, Tetra, Red-Finned Tidal, Tri-Horn, Tsunami, Turpentine, Nhiostrife, Undine, Water Walker, & Whiptail

Edited by Earth Gurl

Thanks for approving my prize's description! happy.gif

With several self-critical re-writings and the waiting time in-between it's been almost two years since I first tried to give her a description. I'm very glad to see that finally she has a proper backstory and personality on her page.

Wow, a description I made yesterday has already been approved! I've been reviewing the descriptions a bit lately, so hopefully I'm helping!

Edited by Peachycupcake525

Bolz is a large male with strange, white lightning sparks instead of the normal yellow, white patterns and white eyes. He is very curious and likes putting his nose into others' business. He can be protective, kind and is also short tempered. He likes collecting stray eggs and hates water. He is slow in combat, but due to his large wings, he can fly quickly. He has a nest in a tree at the entrance of a small town in which he placed his collected eggs. He trades eggs for prey, money, and other eggs that humans can raise. He often trades fairly. He also has the ability to collect information from something just by sniffing.

Resubmitted it with a new version. Let's see how it is

^ Grammar/flow corrections:

Bolz is a large male with strange, white lightning sparks instead of the normal yellow,* white patterns and white eyes. He is very curious and likes putting sticking his nose into others' business. He can be protective, kind, and is also short-tempered. He likes collecting stray eggs and hates water. He is slow in combat, but due to his large wings, he can fly quickly. He has a nest in a tree at the entrance of a small town in which he placesd his collected eggs. He trades eggs for prey, money, and other eggs that humans can raise. He often trades fairly. He also has the ability to collect information from something just by sniffing.**

* What is "yellow, white"? Do you mean just yellow? Do you mean yellow and white? Do you mean light yellow? You could say "yellow-white" but since white mixes to make a lighter color, it's typically not a color we add after a dash, unless you're saying "off-white".

** Uh, how does this work??? Can he smell out lies based on sweat pheromones? Does he have nose-based telepathy? blink.gif Even with magic, there needs to be a little logic, lol. ;3

Let me know if there's any other specific breeds anyone wants done! I'm taking more suggestions. I won't be able to work again until Thursday, probably since I have a few tests and a concert to go to tomorrow night.

How about breeds that have sprites that change based on time? Luminae, lunar heralds, nocturnes, spirit wards, sunsets Okay, that's a lot. Just nocturnes? smile.gif

I mean white

And ya, he uses telepathy magic when he does that. But that is like the only kind of magic he knows beside lightning magic

Fixed with edits! Now the description won't be outdated anymore unless I add more abilities/personality/looks

Edited by Rainbowlight

Been out there reviewing this morning... Rather a lot using the first person - unfortunate. sad.gif Can mods edit that out and then approve ?

dirtytabs - I just reviewed one of yours - a horse... (I liked it SO much I checked to see whose it was...) AWESOME !

How about breeds that have sprites that change based on time? Luminae, lunar heralds, nocturnes, spirit wards, sunsets Okay, that's a lot. Just nocturnes? smile.gif

I can do all of these. Also, I may be MIA for the weekend as I'm visiting my parents' lake house and I don't think I'll have a lot of time to review. smile.gif But Monday, I'm back on for reviewing. We're so close, guys!

Edit: Also, for first person, I'll always reject first person and tell the person to change it. When there's no backlog, then yes, I would edit it myself.

Edited by Earth Gurl

Been out there reviewing this morning... Rather a lot using the first person - unfortunate. sad.gif Can mods edit that out and then approve ?

We can, but users do not tend to like it when mods do edits that big or that many, so I wouldn't and would advise other mods not to as well. Just from personal experience, having disappointed users frustrated with you due to this isn't fun - for the user or for us. A spelling mistake or two or a missing period - sure. But things like perspective changes, we should probably leave up to users.

I wouldn't feel too bad about rejecting - if they peer over the description guidelines, they should realize first person isn't allowed. ;3

My auto-fill is a great help with that!

The minute I type You, it fills in the rest:

You cannot use first person (I, me, my) in descriptions.

tongue.gif

We can, but users do not tend to like it when mods do edits that big or that many, so I wouldn't and would advise other mods not to as well. Just from personal experience, having disappointed users frustrated with you due to this isn't fun - for the user or for us. A spelling mistake or two or a missing period - sure. But things like perspective changes, we should probably leave up to users.

I wouldn't feel too bad about rejecting - if they peer over the description guidelines, they should realize first person isn't allowed. ;3

There's one person I have specifically TOLD who still does it....

There's one person I have specifically TOLD who still does it....

If they're outright ignoring you, I definitely wouldn't feel bad - and as a mod, I have to say, that I'll be less inclined to fix a few little mistakes for you if you keep ignoring the guidelines even after being specifically told what they are. Making a mistake is one thing and forgetting something in the guidelines is one thing but obstinately going against the guidelines is another.

If you know the username, you can PM me. Perhaps they haven't checked back on descriptions for comments or, if they have, perhaps they'll listen to a mod better.

dirtytabs - I just reviewed one of yours - a horse... (I liked it SO much I checked to see whose it was...) AWESOME !

Thanks! I'm proud of that one!

I can do all of these. Also, I may be MIA for the weekend as I'm visiting my parents' lake house and I don't think I'll have a lot of time to review. smile.gif But Monday, I'm back on for reviewing. We're so close, guys!

Enjoy your visit! Don't be stuck on the computer/mobile too much. smile.gif

Lagie, my autofill comment goes "W" -> "Write in third person. -DT" Much lazier shorter! biggrin.gif

Lagie, my autofill comment goes "W" -> "Write in third person. -DT" Much lazier shorter! biggrin.gif

xd.png Definitely shorter, but my teacher brain assumes they're not going to understand what I mean if I say that, so I spell it out. (Just like my it's = it is comment tongue.gif )

Description reviewing is an awesome way to pass the time between eggs, if you're out there hunting in the Festival of Eggs!

Why don't people get the concept of compound words any longer? blink.gif

P.S. Earth Gurl, I'm seeing lots of stripes and pillows in my review queue. Hope you're having a happy Easter!