hazeh

ANSWERED:Give Concept Creators Credit In-Site

Ugh, yes please. I'd like to see the same for people who write the descriptions, too. <3

Ugh, yes please. I'd like to see the same for people who write the descriptions, too. <3

I think descriptions are harder because, like, if it's a ten sentence description in which you edit one sentence of it, do you get credit for it? I can just see a dozen people getting in on the description credits, which seems a bit crazy xd.png;; maybe only credit for those who did 33%+ of a description by word count? They could probably be included along with the concept creator in the credits rather than needing a whole new section, as half of what a concept is is what lies in the descriptor! ^^

Yes, I fully agree with this. :3 Acknowledgement of someone's idea and contributions is always a good thing.

Infinite +1.

I never understood why wouldn't the person that created the concept get some credits? if it wasn't because of said person thought of it then it wouldn't be there. o3o

Concept, yes, description no. Descriptions are often just based on the information on the OP, so little or no creativity is involved, it is mostly just organizing information into a shorter format.

Yes, yes and yes. The conceptors of other dragons also deserve the same amount of credit as an artist. Imagining and creating something is an art biggrin.gif And besides, there's already some acknowledgement in a form of a holiday alt for a concept creator. If one of them got some in game acknowledgment the others deserve the same thing.

I think descriptions are harder because, like, if it's a ten sentence description in which you edit one sentence of it, do you get credit for it? I can just see a dozen people getting in on the description credits, which seems a bit crazy xd.png;; maybe only credit for those who did 33%+ of a description by word count? They could probably be included along with the concept creator in the credits rather than needing a whole new section, as half of what a concept is is what lies in the descriptor! ^^

Yeah but what if someone just nudges some of the pixels on the lines of the sprite? Do they get credit too, or is it only major contributors? (I actually have no idea how this works)

But I support this. How could you not?

I guess it's not too big a problem with the "new" guidelines with having a decently fleshed out concept before it's approved, but in the past when there wasn't new topic moderation people would post topics that were basically no more than a name and a really really bad drawing and people would actually make a decent dragon from that. To me it would be eminently unfair for people like that to get credit, when they did essentially nothing to contribute.

I feel that conceptors should really get credit for their dragons, so long as they've been fully involved in the project. I've even seen concepts where the creator will have done sketches and everything and only need spriters [there are multiple conceptors who have done this], and yet it is mainly the spriter who gets the credit.

While I do agree that the spriters here work hard, I would also argue that many of the conceptors work hard too and spend a fair amount of time on their dragons. It never made sense to me as to why only the spriters, in the past, would get alts. It wasn't until very recently there was a conceptor's alt, which is something that I think should be done more often in cases where the conceptor has been heavily involved in their dragon.

Those who have abandoned their projects or entered with very limited information are iffy tho'... It's a bit like a scenario where a spriter has left the project/site and nobody is sure if they can still use their work, and they generally don't, which I think is a good model for what should go on with the conceptors. If the original conceptor has abandoned a project, they may get minor credit depending on how much was done before, but if everything is redone by a new individual the original conceptor would lose a fair amount of credit for the work, because they ceased to be involved or handed the reigns over. They may still be eligible for partial credit, but the new conceptor should get a majority of the conceptor credit if they've had to redo or overhaul a project.

Tenya, I see two issues with nitpicking whether a concept creator is worthy enough of getting credit:

1) Once the question of 'is this concept creator worthy enough' is posed, feelings are going to get hurt. The original creator could be sufficiently offended to delete the thread. People who contributed any amount of thought to the idea will insist they earned credit. All in all, it'll likely turn into a big cat fight of who did or didn't contribute sufficiently to the idea. I think simply saying "only the OP, no one more, no one less" will prevent such fights, and that, to me, is more important than making sure all the pieces of the credit pie are evenly divided. You make the concept, you get credit, end of story.

2) As PF said, with the new guidelines in place, people pretty much HAVE to develop an idea fairly far to get the thread approved to begin with. Even if they then immediately quit the thread, they still in all likelihood provided the vast majority of the basic concept material, and they should be credited for it.

If this was implemented I think we'd have to include everybody and not exclude the people who abandoned/etc because even if they didn't contribute they created the concept. I gree with PF about the newer deagons but in the past you could just start a thread saying "What about a nightmare dragon?" with nothing else.

I agree with this idea, especially with how you have to get concepts approved first.

I personally am the concepter for two completed dragons but my only art talent is writing. I'd love to get a nod from the site if any of them made it rather then just taking pride.

(also in terms of BSA threads it would give me a way of saying yay/nay and proof that I was indeed the concepter of the dragon)

I'm for this, have been for a long time. I agree if someone swaps a few words around, it's similar to a spriter shrinking a foot and probably isn't worth them being credited, but for people who do put in the effort and time they certainly should get that little bit of recognition. Nor do I think the world would explode if a few conceptors/description writers earned artist easels over time. Why?

Well, cause we have had events in the past that involved writing. It wouldn't hurt to have people talented with writing around to help with things like the halloween events we have and stuff. So, it really would be more helpful than hurtful for a different sort of artist to earn an easel now and again. Maybe only conceptors that get a few concepts on the site if that's how it has to be, to avoid any sort of flood of new artists or something. But it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing for a few conceptors to earn their stripes.

@Angelicdragonpuppy: True, true, I only realized that after rereading what I'd written. I didn't mean for it to sound as though I was harshly criticizing creators, which I'm really not. I just feel that if a project is abandoned and has to be redone by a new person, the new individual who went through the work of redoing it should be credited as well. And, yeah, it was more aimed towards the "exception" cases rather than DC as a whole. I really want everyone who adds to a dragon project to be credited, with conceptors and spriters at the forefront.

The new guidelines do help prevent scenarios where a conceptor will come in with scarcely anything, which is nice and also prevents situations where you'd have to try and "judge" whether or not enough work was done by the conceptor, which is kind of ridiculous. What I meant was that a conceptor who abandons, much like a spriter, should still get partial credit, but I don't think they should get full credit for the whole project. That's just my personal opinion on it and I'm not saying that that's how it should be for everyone. ^w^

I don't know the date the moderator approving with a good bit needed for approval started, but if it could be figured out, then it's easy enough to say that any thread started after that gets automatic credit. Any thread before that should be debated, since the OP could easily have provided essentially no more than the dragon's name.

Support. I haven't ever actually contributed to any dragon request at all (just an egg), but I can understand the concept creator's point of view. :3

I definitely support this! It has always seemed strange to me why the creators didn't get any credit because without them the spriters wouldn't know what to sprite...

I would give full support for this.

I do believe that this suggestion has been discussed here as well.

Agree plus one million. Sprites are a big part of this site, but without the drawings/sketches first, sprites don't happen. Well okay, maybe they do, but a good sketch can help to form the basis of a good sprite. Plus, not all artists are spriters, so I totally support this.

Agree plus one million. Sprites are a big part of this site, but without the drawings/sketches first, sprites don't happen. Well okay, maybe they do, but a good sketch can help to form the basis of a good sprite. Plus, not all artists are spriters, so I totally support this.

The drawings get credit. It's only concept creators that can't do more than drawings that aren't used or written descriptions that don't get credit.

PLEASE! i was seriously wondering why some spriters get alts but what if this happens and then the original concept designer doesn't get one? i dunno about you but i feel insanely cheated..

PLEASE! i was seriously wondering why some spriters get alts but what if this happens and then the original concept designer doesn't get one? i dunno about you but i feel insanely cheated..

You do realize that only artists who do holidays get alts? I certainly have no alts, though I created the turpentines. And holiday dragons are worked on in secret, MAYBE a few people might get in on it together, but I think that is the exception and other than that, you are on your own.

Edited by Nectaris

I definitely support this.

Now, on the topic of "really, really brief, OP didn't do very much", I do fall into the camp of that being a breeding ground for drama. However, I see where people are coming from. That would probably only be affecting the earlier concepts, however, since it takes a lot more fleshing out of a concept to get it accepted today.

So I see two possible solutions.

A: Only gives conceptions credit from after the more stringent guidelines were put in. I believe this was August 2010 (which was when "The Ultimate Guide to Dragon Requests" thread was put up, but I'm not 100% sure and the date might have been slightly different). We can be fairly confident that dragons from this point onwards had a pretty good foundation from the OP.

The problem here, I suspect, is that some of the dragons falling under this section have been released/pulled off Completed Requests List, pending release. I'm not completely sure what happens to their threads when this happens; if they're just hidden from public view, no problem, but if they're deleted, this information might be hard to find.

B: Concept credit from point X onwards. Probably the least amount of hassle. Sure, people from earlier concepts won't be getting credit, but they knew that signing up, and it might cause less drama. And its definitely better than no conceptors getting credit at all.

Do the old dragon threads get deleted once the dragons are released? If not, maybe going through them to see how much effort OPs in general put in could help to make a decision between Completely Different's solutions.