hazeh

ANSWERED:Give Concept Creators Credit In-Site

You do realize that only artists who do holidays get alts?  I certainly have no alts, though I created the turpentines.  And holiday dragons are worked on in secret, MAYBE a few people might get in on it together, but I think that is the exception and other than that, you are on your own.

Pretty much this. Caballo was a strange first. Usually the conceptor and the artist are the same person for holidays, but with me and Corteo that wasn't the case. I've been writing a lot of his concepts for a while now cause we're bros.

But, that honestly doesn't mean it's impossible that it could happen again. I mean, I totally encourage you all (conceptors and spriters) to submit TJ holiday concepts, cause they're not limited to people who are already in-cave. Anyone can send him a holiday concept for consideration. Just make sure you tell as few people as possible, preferably only yourself (and the spriter if you're a conceptor, or fellow spriters who help make it if you're a spriter) and send it through PM. Don't post it on the public boards (and of course wait roundabouts til the holiday season is on us. Doesn't do much good to submit a christmas dragon 7 months before). And, of course, if you're a conceptor that teams up with an artist you can't demand they make you an alt. If you're set on one, it's probably better to ask if they're willing before they make the dragon. If not, find yourself a new partner, cause they have a right to say no to helping make you an alt just as I would hope they'd respect your right to your concept.

Support +1 smile.gif I love this idea! After all, the dragon wouldn't be there for the artist to draw if someone hadn't created a concept.

I definitely support this! I would love to see concept creators get credit for their dragons, especially now that the concepts have to be pretty well fleshed out to even get approved (as has been mentioned already).

Of course, I'm being a bit selfish here since I've created the concept for a dragon request currently being worked on. Still though, aside from that, there are a lot of people who have had great ideas who didn't get credit because they didn't/couldn't do any of the artwork.

You do realize that only artists who do holidays get alts? I certainly have no alts, though I created the turpentines. And holiday dragons are worked on in secret, MAYBE a few people might get in on it together, but I think that is the exception and other than that, you are on your own.

i was speaking of more in-the-future type of thing. you never know tongue.gif

YES! SUPPORTED GREATLY. I think that the concept wouldn't have come into existence without the creators, so they should get credit, too.

YES! SUPPORTED GREATLY. I think that the concept wouldn't have come into existence without the creators, so they should get credit, too.

You were the reason I started this thread, haha. <3

i was speaking of more in-the-future type of thing. you never know tongue.gif

This seems like a dangerous road to go down. You don't want people spamming DR with threads just for the chance of getting an exclusive recolor without doing any work.

This seems like a dangerous road to go down. You don't want people spamming DR with threads just for the chance of getting an exclusive recolor without doing any work.

true. though most concept creators (that are successful and get well-drawn art/sprites) are rather nice.

really just depends, i suppose.

Considering people can only have two topics in DR at once, it'd be rather hard for anyone to 'spam DR.'

Right now I'm still leaning towards OP gets credit only, not descriptions or helpers because it makes things too confusing. X___x Can just apply to all OPs after the DR approval process was started, as those ones are confirmed to have put a decent amount of thought into their concept.

Again, you do not get alts for normal concepts, you only get them for holidays. Holidays are made in secret, so it wouldn't affect DR at all.

Edited by Nectaris

You were the reason I started this thread, haha. <3

Oh haha the Lotus dragon? Haha I still support the OP, sketcher, liner, flatter, and spriter credit idea.

Again, you do not get alts for normal concepts, you only get them for holidays. Holidays are made in secret, so it wouldn't affect DR at all.

I know, I was specifically talking about the possibility of spriter alts on regular dragons in the future. And, by the suggestion of this thread, conceptor alts.

Conceptor alts... can be dangerous. I'm thinking back, and I think that there is only one set out there, and they were made by a close friend. I'm not sure whether conceptors should./get/ alts or not. I'll abstain on that matter.

Definitely supporting concept credit though. smile.gif

Conceptor alts... can be dangerous. I'm thinking back, and I think that there is only one set out there, and they were made by a close friend. I'm not sure whether conceptors should./get/ alts or not. I'll abstain on that matter.

what if concept artists do literally everything except the sprite?

description, all of the non sprite art, concept and such. but they can't sprite?

I don't see how Caballo is dangerous at all? I mean... seriously. She's not waitin' in your bed to eat yah :U

I honestly can't see why those creating the concepts can't get credit and an Alt for a dragon which would not exist except for their suggestion - people suggesting an idea to a writer get credit in books!

What's the problem with this?

I honestly can't see why those creating the concepts can't get credit and an Alt for a dragon which would not exist except for their suggestion - people suggesting an idea to a writer get credit in books!

What's the problem with this?

I think it's not a question of whether concept makers can get spriter's alts, it's of whether or not normal concepts can get spriter's alts, which I'd generally be against.

I think it's not a question of whether concept makers can get spriter's alts, it's of whether or not normal concepts can get spriter's alts, which I'd generally be against.

I'm not really for normal concepts getting alts at this point. Nor do I think it's entirely relevant to the debate about conceptor credit, cause it's something that would involve spriters as much as conceptors. I'm only speaking about holiday ones xd.png

I definitely agree with this, especially since I currently have a dragon concept (slowly) in the works myself. I've gone through the process of making a concept for a dragon, which involved research and a lot of thought being put into it. I tend to want my dragon to be perfect down to the little details, which takes a lot of effort on my part. It would be nice to be recognized for that.

I can see where people who just throw their idea onto the table then ignore it wouldn't count in this, but for those who make the effort, if there does end up being a spriter's alt for it they should be given the choice of getting one too, and if not, then definitely credit. It's their baby after all.

I am perfectly willing to do everything except the sprite, because I have no skill whatsoever in making a dragon. I can do an egg, that's about it. Now, modifying a sprite someone put out, that I can do, I just can't create one myself without a base to work on.

I always wondered why this couldn't happen. If the people who created the actual thread hadn't created the thread, how do we know that dragon would be in existance today? So why can't they get credit? Especially if they actually help further in the thread by keeping the thread together and not letting it go off track.

I support this as I constantly see some really good ideas in dragons and know the actual idea creaters will not get the credit I think they deserve.

Hell yes I'm for this!

It may just be me, but I bird-dog any concepts I make and spend a lot of time looking up poses and references and making sure it stays up-to-date. With my Tuxedo dragon concept, I had to do this twice since it was completed once but the artist had to pull their artwork. THEN I had to go even further, hunt down the original artist on Tale of Dragons, and ask her to change the dragon description because she had unknowingly used the descriptions I'd written. That was a lot of work, and all for one idea.

So yeah, conceptors should get some credit. There are some that just throw it out there and fling it upon the mercy of our wonderful and talented artists (yes, that is flattery, but I think it's deserved) and there are others that do all of the work themselves. Then there are folks like me, who have some good ideas but not a lick of artistic talent. Making up the idea isn't the end of a conceptor's work, it's the beginning, like everyone else's. I like to think of it as moderating individual threads.

And I think our staff can agree: Just because you're moderating doesn't mean it isn't a lot of work.

I support it.

On a different issue, what if the original OP becomes inactive and the concept thread is deleted due to inactivity, and say, the spriter who had been helping with the thread restarts the concept on their own? Should the original OP still get credit for something like that or would the concept credit move to the reviver?

I'd be in favor of the latter. I know of several concepts where this has happened, including one I completed on my own. At this point, the concept is in the hands of the spriter and they have the new freedom to do what they like with it.

Edited by ParticleSoup

what if concept artists do literally everything except the sprite?

description, all of the non sprite art, concept and such. but they can't sprite?

As it stands, if you did the non-sprite art (read: sketching, major improvement or red-lining) you still get credit. Any art except eggs gets you credit.

You do not get credit for concept or descriptions, however. Personally, I don't think people should get credit for description, because it would just be too difficult to look over.

(Also, I think the conversation of whether or not there should be special alts for spriters OR artists for regular releases should probably be in a different thread, since its a separate thing.)

Hmm, speaking of eggs... provided they're more than a simple hue shift on an already completed egg, perhaps they should get credit too? There are some really lovely eggs out there.

As it stands, if you did the non-sprite art (read: sketching, major improvement or red-lining) you still get credit. Any art except eggs gets you credit.

You do not get credit for concept or descriptions, however. Personally, I don't think people should get credit for description, because it would just be too difficult to look over.

(Also, I think the conversation of whether or not there should be special alts for spriters OR artists for regular releases should probably be in a different thread, since its a separate thing.)

What do you mean by difficult to look over? o3o? Confused about your wording.