Shajana

More releases/ Bigger releases

What is the highest number of new breeds would you be willing to accept per-month?  

597 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I personally think having lots of things to collect is much better than being at a point where you're bored and don't have much to do. A lot of people's response to this is "make some lineages to keep you busy!" and I only make them when I particularly like the look of a pairing not just because.

Thinking about it just now, I should probably move this to first Sunday, so that it doesn't interfere with work or school.

That would be an great idea. 1-2 a month would be really amazing and I hope eveyone would be happy with it.

Great idea, TJ! One or two breeds every month will be very nice. And this kind of diversity is good, at least some of the dragons from the completed section will be used. There are many breeds, even now, that I would love to see on my scroll...

Personally, I had a very long break from the game (almost three years) and if it wasn't for the fact that there were just so many nice new breeds to catch up with, I probably wouldn't start playing again. Collecting is fun smile.gif

Yes to more releases, no to bigger ones. xd.png

In my opinion it is a hectic enough to stock up on one breed - let alone more. ^.~

With maybe a few more scroll slots.. that might be different... tongue.gif

I find it much harder to catch when there is only one breed because everyone is hunting the same thing. Having at least two breeds released at the same time reduces the pressure on a single biome which helps spread the people out.

I'm pretty sure that the reason the Tri-horns were so hard to get at first was simply because of the single breed release.

....just my observations.

yes, but you have a whole month to collect the dragons that you want.

Like me and a lot of other people who play this game, I don't have hours to stalk the cave for hours and hours on end hoping for one CB to pop up :/

I dislike the waiting game entirely, which is why I hardly hunt for CBs anymore.

I joined in 08, and I JUST now managed to catch my own CB gold.

Yeah I don't have that kind of time and neither do a lot of others.

And before you aruge that it's a rare and they don't pop up much, this goes the same for other eggs too that aren't @_@. Some of the uncommon ones for example. I've been hunting nebs lately, and I don't have time to sit there and wait for it to pop up just so someone else can grab it. :/

Edited by SandstormL

For those wondering, my (new) current aim is for a release of two breeds on the first Monday of every month.

♫ ♫ It's just another manic monday... ♫ ♫

Love the idea TJ! More new dragons, yay! biggrin.gif

Like me and a lot of other people who play this game, I don't have hours to stalk the cave for hours and hours on end hoping for one CB to pop up :/

I dislike the waiting game entirely, which is why I hardly hunt for CBs anymore.

I joined in 08, and I JUST now managed to catch my own CB gold.

Yeah I don't have that kind of time and neither do a lot of others.

Yes but those new releaes are not all rare or uncommon. Most of them will be common and not really hard to catch.

Edited by Shajana

Guys, okay. I see the excitement of "Yayyy more releases". But think about it first, please.

I (speaking personally here) collect a frozen ungendered, male and female hatchie of every breed, plus a few CB's of each gender. If I want to collect everything, I effectively have a month to collect 2 new breeds before the next ones come out. That's, 4 weeks to collect 2 breeds, AND carry on with all the usual lineages and collecting of other breeds that I'm still low on.

Seriously, people will leave the game and come back later, only to find loads of breeds they've missed. And if they've got the 'collect everything' goal, then that'd make it pretty difficult.

I like things the way they are now, we have time to do other things. Too many releases will just make DC boring - nobody will do lineages and everything will be focussed on collecting the new breeds each month.

Admittedly, I'd be interested to see how 2 per month worked on a trial basis.

I came back from a two year hiatus and still managed to catch up within a reasonable span of time. (a couple months) Granted, I don't have firmly set scroll goals, but it's not as intimidating as people think to come back and have everything change and have thirty or so new breeds to catch.

Edited by PhoenixStarr

Yes but those new releaes are not alle rare or uncommon. Most of them will be common and not really hard to catch.

That doesn't change that there are rares and uncommons that are still difficult to catch with releases. Like Blusangs for example.

Been after an extra pair since they were released, and nope, nothing popped up for me when I've been looking.

Even CB commons can be irritating to catch depending on the breed.

I simply don't have time to sit there and refresh for hours :/

Just like a lot of others.

Edited by SandstormL

I came back from a two year hiatus and still managed to catch up within a reasonable span of time.  (a couple months)  Granted, I don't have firmly set scroll goals, but it's not as intimidating as people think to come back and have everything change and have thirty or so new breeds to catch.

Oh, I know. I came back from a fairly long period of inactivity, and managed to somewhat catch up. but what I'm saying is, it would take a lot longer and be a lot harder to catch up if there were so many more new breeds.

One per month would be my absolute maximum. Not two. >.>

Edited by TheGrox

I do not quite get the problem with lineage projects, because I have a huge one of my own.

And if I KNOW that there will be a new release every first Monday/Sunday of each month, I can plan my projects easier than I do now.

It's also good for all the people that do request breedings, gifting or trading, they know when people will most likely be locked and such smile.gif.

Edited by Shichibi

I came back from a two year hiatus and still managed to catch up within a reasonable span of time. (a couple months)

Try catching up catching 30 or so breeds with 2 more coming out every month AND with scroll goals and lineage projects. .-.

And new players would have an even harder time.

As much as some want to quit for lack of things to collect in their eyes, newbies would also quit too because they'd feel they could never catch up.

About the catch-up:

Well, we have a lot of dragons waiting on the requests lists and it would be nice to get it moving.

Let alone those who are just waiting to be released for sure.

Two per month is a fair amount for 6 biomes, I would support 3.

People who were inactive will always have to catch up, be it the Event Dragons or the newer ones.

Especially, with breeds that have more colors or dimorphism.

Take the Stripes for example, ONE breed and 5 colors and we have a lot of such dragons.

Edit:

New players will always have a hard time o_O.

Come to the Cave as a new player in two years .... same difference....

Edited by Shichibi

♫ ♫ It's just another manic monday... ♫ ♫

Ahhh yessss! biggrin.gif

Thanks for letting us know, TJ! That's great news. smile.gif I can't wait to start seeing some more new faces in the cave. happy.gif

I begin to feel sorry for TJ. Here we've had people ASKING for more releases and as soon as he says we will get them, lads MORE people - including some of those who said more please are now saying no no.

We will cope. It just takes a bit of getting used to. I wasn't a player till the place had been going for quite a while and I caught up. (admittedly I have no CB gold - but that's NOT just me xd.png) It will be OK.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I would like to try this new system first, too, before we work on changing it. We haven't seen how it would work out yet.

I can only imagine how massive the backlog of dragons ready to be released on the completed requests list is, and I agree with Shichibi that this is a good way to whittle that list down.

People have always had a hard time catching certain dragons, whether it's because of quitting and returning, slower internet connection, personal projects, or more releases (and other reasons that don't come off the top of my head). I think releasing more dragons on a regular basis will help keep the game interesting and engaging.

I begin to feel sorry for TJ. Here we've had people ASKING for more releases and as soon as he says we will get them, lads MORE people - including some of those who said more please are now saying no no.

We will cope. It just takes a bit of getting used to. I wasn't a player till the place had been going for quite a while and I caught up. (admittedly I have no CB gold - but that's NOT just me xd.png) It will be OK.

As this famous quote goes:-

“You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

I wouldn't turn down a 2 breed release per month idea now, we do need to see how things go so I am going to give this new plan a chance.

I do not quite get the problem with lineage projects, because I have a huge one of my own.

And if I KNOW that there will be a new release every first Monday/Sunday of each month, I can plan my projects easier than I do now.

It's also good for all the people that do request breedings, gifting or trading, they know when people will most likely be locked and such smile.gif.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm fully supporting this.

The cave can't keep up with how many completed dragon requests- I'm guessing a good 97% probably won't make it in-cave.

Of course, I fully realize not every completed dragon can make it anyway.

Edited by Ultra

Thinking about it just now, I should probably move this to first Sunday, so that it doesn't interfere with work or school.

This would be great for me since I can stay up late when they first drop.

More releases is wonderful! Keep the vitality going. I cannot wait! Thank you TJ. Can some of them drop in the Forest/Jungle/Volcano?

The biome selections are based primarily on the sizes; I don't want some biome to have significantly more eggs than others. For example, the Jungle currently has the most breeds in it by far.

I'm a little torn about this. I'd love more releases, as I always love to see what my new eggs grow into. But depending on the number of new releases, we might need more egg slots in the future. Not exactly for us older players, but for those who need to catch up.

When I started (a little over 3 years ago), there were less than 50 breeds of dragons (or other creatures) available - not counting special releases.

Of these breeds, stripes had 4 color variations (white, red, green, blue - black had yet to be invented), dorsals had two, two breeds had alts (black and vine) and four were dimorphic (silvers, pinks, water horses and splits).

That means we had about 60 adult sprites to collect, and roughly the same number of S2s and S1s. Total: 180 sprites.

Now, we have...

... over 90 regular breeds (counting seasonals as 4 breeds, glory drakes as 2, sunrise/-set as 2; not counting holiday dragons)

... more than 50% of in-cave dragons with dimorphism

... 1 breed with 5 color variants (stripes), two with three color variants (tinsels, shimmers), and two breeds with 2 color variants (dorsals, ridgewings)

... 3 breeds with alts (vine, black, nebula), two of which are dimorphic

... 1 breed where the sprite changes with the time of day (nocturne)

... 1 breed that can change appearance after breeding (lumina)

That's roughly 160 adult sprites to collect, about the same number of S2s and 100 S1s (due to color variants). Total: 420 sprites.

Now imagine what happens if we get 24 new breeds every year, roughly half of which will probably be dimorphic. That's 36 new adult sprites every year, probably the same number of S2s and 24 S1s - a total of 96 new sprites every year.

If we have 90 regular breeds now, we'll have 114 next year, and 138 in two years, 162 in three years... That's a heck of a lot of breeds.

Edited by olympe