TheGrox

ANSWERED:Raffle Rethink?

Should we increase the number of raffle Prizes given out?  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it should be based around the forum next year... if you don't use the forum, you have no use for a prize dragon anyway.

That's an interesting statement. I would prefer to close this site wink.gif

if they're on the IRC, they'll see it in the topic. I don't mean you have to be a member, I just mean it should only be announced on the forum, like in the good old days.

So essentially, you are saying that people who do not use the forums should be punished for their choice? My kids do not, and will not be allowed to have forum accounts... so shouldnt have chances at winning purely because they arent allowed to be anywhere near this forum? The thing I love about this game is the fact that you are NOT required to have a forum account linked to your scroll. Because my name and forum account on chickensmoothie are linked.. i get a lot of interaction from forum users i know nothing about purely because they saw my name when i loaded the forum. Forum based requirement on a game where the forum is NOT directly tied to scroll activity is flat out wrong.

If theres a forum event where everything takes place on the forum.. sure, limit it to forum usage.. but on this site at least.. the forum has nothing to do with the scrolls themselves, therefore no raffle should be relying strictly on forum usage. If the site and the forum ever directly link up.. then I'll gladly change my views.

Edited by Thuban

Actually, I find it incredibly greedy that less people should get a share of the christmas joy, because someone doesn't want to breed their dragon.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if you didn't read the news thread to know about the competition, you wouldn't know that it ever existed. You don't have to USE the forum, you just need to check the news thread.

Oh yes you would know. Maybe you wouldn't have been aware of the raffle, but you would know that something is happening. Badges do show up on scrolls if you sign up during that time span. not just that, but most of the events are done by finding little things that show up. If you are regular player, the chances are that you will sign in once at week. And Christmas events lasts two weeks. Not giving information to non forumgoers wouldn't change a thing. They would still participate, enter the raffle, and once they looked at their emails they would get a nice surprise. That said, withholding information from other people really isn't the road this site should take. Isn't it better that people know what they might get? I mean if they are aware of what they have they will appreciate it more, and who knows, maybe even share it with other people.

So essentially, you are saying that people who do not use the forums should be punished for their choice? My kids do not, and will not be allowed to have forum accounts... so shouldnt have chances at winning purely because they arent allowed to be anywhere near this forum? The thing I love about this game is the fact that you are NOT required to have a forum account linked to your scroll. Because my name and forum account on chickensmoothie are linked.. i get a lot of interaction from forum users i know nothing about purely because they saw my name when i loaded the forum. Forum based requirement on a game where the forum is NOT directly tied to scroll activity is flat out wrong.

If theres a forum event where everything takes place on the forum.. sure, limit it to forum usage.. but on this site at least.. the forum has nothing to do with the scrolls themselves, therefore no raffle should be relying strictly on forum usage. If the site and the forum ever directly link up.. then I'll gladly change my views.

no. not what you've said there at all.

Being a new player it would feel kinda awkward for me to step in here where all the "old guys" have a discussion and say something like "but I want a fair chance". I would fear to sound greedy or too cheeky.

Also, having a scroll gives users no obligation to have a forum account nor even visit the forums. So an event based around the forums would be unfair to those people. A prize would still be 'useful' to someone who doesn't use the forums, they might breed it for themselves or their friends, or just to the AP.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

That said, withholding information from other people really isn't the road this site should take. Isn't it better that people know what they might get? I mean if they are aware of what they have they will appreciate it more, and who knows, maybe even share it with other people.

The site withheld from me the information about old pinks and frills being withdrawn. Nothing was done about that. It's called 'life'.

It took two years for Tins to catch up in ratios. There are a lot in rotation, and because of how easily they bred in the beginning, most people who wanted one, did get one eventually. With them being so hard to breed now, a new prize was suggested purely because what fun is it to win a prize that you wont be able to breed? Wouldnt you rather win something that you know will actually be successful at breeding?

TJ could always fiddle with the ratios to make Tins breed again, though. 2nd gen Tinsels will always be extremely rare, no matter how many of the higher-lineaged ones are running around. If a Tin owner can only get one CB Metal for their weekly 2nd gen Tin breeding then 3 CB Metals for their once a year Tin breeding, then I think they'd still be better off that way than in the current way. And with more 2nd gen Tins around, everyone else would be better off, too. ^^;

I still think Tins should've been used as the prizes again, because I still think the breeding population of CBs is too small. We have 7 CB Gold Tinsels about. All it takes is seven people quitting--or simply deciding not to breed--and poof, no more 2nd gen Gold Tinsels being produced ever. CB Tinsels are so rare that CB Hollies look common in comparison, which is really saying something.

I know that the counter here is that yes, 2nd gen Tinsels might be in danger, but higher gen ones aren't. That being said, though--lineage really matters to a lot of people. I frequent the trading threads often, and short/clean lineages are almost always required by the traders. Since lineage DOES matter to so many people, a more stable population size of CB Tinsels would be nice. Even if there were 50 CB Gold Tinsels about, they would still be extremely rare--with the added benefit of 2nd gens being much less likely to go extinct.

(Plus, less than a year ago TJ said there was no need for a new prize dragon, since Tinsels were created specifically to be prize dragons. Needless to say, I was accordingly surprised to see that we'd be getting new prizes this year, ehehe.)

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

no. not what you've said there at all.

That's how it sounds. After all, if being a forum user is a requirement for the raffle most people would be forced to sign up here - even if they don't want it, or if they are too young like Thuban's kids, too old to learn how to use computers... This is even worse then forbidding newbies from participating.

That's how it sounds. After all, if being a forum user is a requirement for the raffle most people would be forced to sign up here - even if they don't want it, or if they are too young like Thuban's kids, too old to learn how to use computers... This is even worse then forbidding newbies from participating.

That's how it sounds, IF you don't read the rest of my posts.

Edited by dracocharky

too old to learn how to use computers...

If this was the case, wouldn't they not be playing DC to begin with? xd.png

That being said, I don't like the idea of making the raffles forum-based. The forum can sure drive me nuts at times, so I certainly can't blame people for wanting to stay away from it. They shouldn't be kicked out of participating just because of that. They can still always trade off-site... or heck, maybe if they don't use the forums to trade they just AP-dump their offspring, which would be epic, haha. X'D

Actually, I find it incredibly greedy that less people should get a share of the christmas joy, because someone doesn't want to breed their dragon.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if you didn't read the news thread to know about the competition, you wouldn't know that it ever existed. You don't have to USE the forum, you just need to check the news thread.

And I find it incredibly selfish that someone should be denied entry into the contest because they do not breed for others.

if they're on the IRC, they'll see it in the topic. I don't mean you have to be a member, I just mean it should only be announced on the forum, like in the good old days.

"Good old days".

Kids who aren't allowed here (or in chat rooms) thank you. You cannot see it announced in the forum if you are not allowed to come on forums. Parental software is good at that stuff.

"Good old days" makes me feel so welcome - I wasn't here then. And as a mad keen player (call me obsessive) and forum member - I was one of those who asked for an announcement on scrolls and I love it.

The forum has been falling over constantly over the holiday season - and as I recall not long ago something was completely messed up when the announcement simply wasn't seen because the forum fell over (there are threads but just now we have no search - because - um - the forum is under strain from heavy traffic; please try again later.

That's how it sounds, IF you don't read the rest of my posts.

I've read through whole thread, and I would like from you to be a bit clearer on the subject.

About tins... Why did it need them two years to catch up on the ratios? I've thought that ratios reset every year and that they reset after New Year. Because of that, I was always under impression that we over bred tinsels this year, but that things would get better once new year rolled in.

If this was the case, wouldn't they not be playing DC to begin with?

Participating in a simple click game is one thing. Frequenting much more complicated forums is other. my mum is forty years old, and in ten years that we have had a computer, the only things she knows to do is to get to her playing site. It took her ages to figure out a chat. I don't want to imagine how long it would took her to get hang of forums - especially since she doesn't know English.

Not everyone can be Fuzz wink.gif

Edited by PointOfOrigin

Just wondering (I'll probably get bashed for saying this, but): Everyone who argued so forcibly against having any limitation or any change to the raffle, would you all be happy if this year, all the prizes that were given out went to newbies, who all subsequently allowed them to die or left without breeding? So you would never be able to get any of the new prize? Whilst far-fetched, it could happen, and is in no way as far-fetched as some scenarios that people have come up with so far to argue against my points.

Just something to think about. :3

And if your parents have a blocker on forums you cannot check the news thread. (Actually our local library does too, come to think of it...)

If the thing is based on playing dragcave, dragcave is where it should be announced. If it is only a forum based thing then it shouldn't relate to scrolls.

You knew the competition existed because it said so on your scroll this time (and Hallowe'en this year.) I played for a long time before I came on the forum. I found out about earlier ones because I clicked on strange things that appeared on my - yup - scroll !

Even if there were 50 CB Gold Tinsels about, they would still be extremely rare--with the added benefit of 2nd gens being much less likely to go extinct.

(Plus, less than a year ago TJ said there was no need for a new prize dragon, since Tinsels were created specifically to be prize dragons. Needless to say, I was accordingly surprised to see that we'd be getting new prizes this year, ehehe.)

Adding more CB tinsels will do no good with trading. I have a 2nd gen bronze dragon, and I have a very tough time trying to trade any 3rd gen tinsel offspring I get. Basically, people pay CB golds and such for 2nd gens, but drastically less for anything more. So adding more CB tinsels will just increase the worth of the CB tinsel owners. I'm kinda done trading my 2nd gen's offspring because unfortunately I don't get what I think it's worth v.v I just gift to my friends now.

And I think there can be a balance between tinsels and the introduction of a new dragon smile.gif Depending on the availability and demand of certain prize dragons, the prize dragons can switch every year or people could probably decide which breed they'd like. I see nothing bad with adding a new dragon to the table c:

Just wondering (I'll probably get bashed for saying this, but): Everyone who argued so forcibly against having any limitation or any change to the raffle, would you all be happy if this year, all the prizes that were given out went to newbies, who all subsequently allowed them to die or left without breeding? So you would never be able to get any of the new prize? Whilst far-fetched, it could happen, and is in no way as far-fetched as some scenarios that people have come up with so far to argue against my points.

Happy ?

No. (then again, will any of us be HAPPY if we aren't a WINNAH ??? wink.gif)

Consider it perfectly fair - yes. As with every raffle I have ever entered in my entire life - which must be hundreds, if not thousands and I have won - exactly once. They were fair. Others got stuff I didn't. Chiz. I am over it, though.

Excuse double post, but editing takes longer, and my presence is required in another room.

I'm personally in favor of trying to keep a fairly steady percentage of users who can win--and I don't want that to be an absurdly tiny one, either. I mean, obviously we can't have something like 10% of the users winning--that's actually a fairly large amount.

And I personally think they should be increased based on the number of users who obtained entries--not total users--if possible.

I 100% agree with this suggestion. As already mentioned it doesn't exclude anyone, aside from those not currently active. And increases the odds a little bit for everyone else.

I am not in favor of anything else suggested so far. No one should be excluded based on trophy level, or lack of trophy. Nor should there be "bonuses" for being around longer then someone else or having more dragons then another player. And if a previous winner gets their name drawn, give them their prize. If someone is to get that incredibly lucky, they deserve it. It's like telling a lottery winner "Nope, sorry, you won before, so no $$$ for you". Sure, it rubs a little, and I'd grumble a little but I am not going to begrudge someone their good luck. If it was me, I'd sure as heck want both my prizes. laugh.gif

As it stands now, I like this seasons event. It's fair, and if you are active you have just as much chance of winning as anyone else. It's not based off talent or creativity and we all have the chance to get the exact same number of entries.

"Good old days" makes me feel so welcome - I wasn't here then. And as a mad keen player (call me obsessive) and forum member - I was one of those who asked for an announcement on scrolls and I love it.

Aye fuzz, back in't good owd days when we didn' have any of those new teleport thingies nor any silly raffle stuff. tongue.gif

Nah, seriously, the old days are exactly that, old. And times change, things move on. We cannot make players come on the forums, so we cant have an event based on them.

Happy ?

No. (then again, will any of us be HAPPY if we aren't a WINNAH ??? wink.gif)

This is the problem with the raffle I guess. People aren't happy unless they win, and this creates jealousy and whatnot amongst the community.

Edited by TheGrox

5. More prizes! This seems to be the most popular idea so far, as it would decrease slightly the rarity of prizes, stopping the few members that do get them being spammed with requests just as much, and it spreads them around a bit more. Possible numbers suggested range from 100 - 500. Another possibility is increasing the number of prizes proportionally to the amount of entries.

^ This one ^. While I don't have a problem with the raffle as it stands, I think it would be incredibly lovely if many more new dragons were passed out as prizes. Sure, it might devalue the offspring of the prizes to some extent, but I don't think anyone especially minds about that, and it certainly wouldn't make the dragon less special. smile.gif

There will be problems and drama no matter what the raffle system is. None of the other suggestions really appeal to me personally, but I also don't think it's wrong to bring them up. I just particularly favor the idea of more prizes to go around.

ETA: I would like to mention that I really appreciate the way that this year's raffle is being handled, with the cap number of entries each player can have, the fact that only active users will even have entries because it's activity-based, and the recipe game was just so much fun that I don't even mind if I win or not. xd.png (Though of course I would like to win. Of course.)

Edited by LibbyLishly

And I think there can be a balance between tinsels and the introduction of a new dragon smile.gif Depending on the availability and demand of certain prize dragons, the prize dragons can switch every year or people could probably decide which breed they'd like. I see nothing bad with adding a new dragon to the table c:

Heehee, if I knew there would be a balance, then I would be totally ok with it, enjoy it as a matter of fact--but with how secretive TJ is, we likely won't know if such switching will occur until next year. Makes me very nervous. xd.png

Adding more CB tinsels will do no good with trading. I have a 2nd gen bronze dragon, and I have a very tough time trying to trade any 3rd gen tinsel offspring I get. Basically, people pay CB golds and such for 2nd gens, but drastically less for anything more. So adding more CB tinsels will just increase the worth of the CB tinsel owners. I'm kinda done trading my 2nd gen's offspring because unfortunately I don't get what I think it's worth v.v I just gift to my friends now.

Any dragon is only worth what others think they are worth. I have little patience with "worth" kinds of trading.

I trade mostly in the even gen thread - where I might possibly trade - say - a second gen silver for something from pillows and balloons. Because that is what I needed at the time - and hey, if I can give someone a silver they want - why not ?

What you think it is worth has nothing to do with anything; it is only what the other person thinks it is worth that counts. It's like when some manufacturer brings in a new product at a silly price and no-one buys it - in the end they bring the price down to make it sell. Sure there are plenty of tinsels around now - and some with long and awesome lineages. But try and find a CB blusang. THAT's a real challenge too.

But I don't even think "worth" has to much to do with this either. The issue is what kind of raffle and how many prizes. Only TJ knows how many entries he gets but I would like to see him relate the number of prizes to the number of entries.

Heehee, if I knew there would be a balance, then I would be totally ok with it, enjoy it as a matter of fact--but with how secretive TJ is, we likely won't know if such switching will occur until next year. Makes me very nervous. xd.png

TJ should be more open about the ratios and that sort of thing, nobody know how it works so it is hard to speculate what effect certain suggetions like this will have on the ratios :c

Actually, if that happened I'd be ok with it, because the current system is as fair as the collected minds giving input can make it. So if that happened, it'd just be the way things are. Not bashing you over the question, but still, I'd just shrug and go on.

The only one of the suggestions made in this thread that I'd be in favor of is an increase in the number of prizes given out. I don't know for sure how many of them I'd like to be the new prize dragons, but at least somewhat of an increase there, with the bulk of the increase being HM prizes. Let's get more CB Hollies into circulation. And if the chances were a bit more encouraging maybe people wouldn't only choose CB Hollies for their HM prize, but other cool things. I for one would really like a CB Shallow Water. With the low odds right now I don't think I'd choose that if I won, because it would probably be my only ever chance at a CB Holly.

As for the rest of the suggestions, in my opinion they aren't very fair across the game. No support from me on those.