TheGrox

ANSWERED:Raffle Rethink?

Should we increase the number of raffle Prizes given out?  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And make us almost entirely dependent on arranging trades to obtain offspring?

It's worked so far.

Edit: so you want a load of newbies to be lucky and catch 2nd gens from the AP, and subsequently leave and not breed them, or even kill them? ... Okay, so at this point I'm being sarcastic. I can actually see the point of them multi-clutching, but it would just undermine the whole trading system we have today. Hell, why not make golds and silvers multiclutch? Because it would totally devalue them, that's why.

Edited by TheGrox

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't like a minuscule number of players having something über-rare, even if it was acquired by fair luck. This is why I favor more prizes, to the point where they are still special, but not immensely rare/valuable. Though I do appreciate what Thuban said that it would be really frustrating to have a shiny new prize that never produced eggs.

I also support the idea of multi-clutches for prize dragons. That would also help alleviate some of the trading issues and give more people a chance at low-gens without having to be already-wealthy or friends with a winner.

This sums up what I was going to say perfectly. I especially like the idea of multi-clutches for giving others a fair chance at grabbing something, unlike now where you have to have lightning speed internet to get something even worth half of what you might originally have wanted.

It's worked so far.

If it worked so far, you would not have created this thread wanting to expand the winners so that more people could get low gens, suggested that the entry barrier be raised, a large number of people wish tinsels not to be used solely as cash generating cows and want owners to breed for the community. Multiclutches fulfill every single one of these pricepoints and more, without devaluing the CB of the original winner. Furthermore, prizes are essentially christmas dragons.

You stated that the current system worked. Well, it worked to the advantage of some who have over 7 second gen tinsels.

You stated that people would learn when prize owners bred, but they would learn that anyway when people overload them for breeding requests.

If the system worked or was widely accepted THIS THREAD WOULD NOT EXIST.

If you think the system works, then leave the status quo be.

What isn't broken doesn't need fixing.

Edited by DarkEternity

If it worked so far, you would not have created this thread wanting to expand the winners so that more people could get low gens, suggested that the entry barrier be raised, a large number of people wish tinsels not to be used solely as cash generating cows and want owners to breed for the community. Multiclutches fulfill every single one of these pricepoints and more, without devaluing the CB of the original winner. Furthermore, prizes are essentially christmas dragons.

You stated that the current system worked. Well, it worked to the advantage of some who have over 7 second gen tinsels.

You stated that people would learn when prize owners bred, but they would learn that anyway when people overload them for breeding requests.

If the system worked or was widely accepted THIS THREAD WOULD NOT EXIST.

If you think the system works, then leave the status quo be.

I wasn't saying the whole raffle worked so far, just the way tinsels breed now works. The raffle is fine how it is, my changes would just make it better, imo.

TJ already stated new prize dragons, there is no changing that. So just giving out HMs is out of the question.

It probably can't be changed for THIS one. Surely we can only be discussing the NEXT such event ?

Better for the minority of older players who visit the forums. Not better for everyone.

That being said, I support prize dragon multiclutches, too. It would give people a better chance at getting them without having to catch multiple CB metals first - or being best buds with the winner(s).

I still think the suggestion I made earlier be added to the OP, where news is also added to the top of the cave, and NOT as a link to the fourms as there are many who are unable to go to the fourms for one reason or another. This way everyone DC user, not just fourm users, knows what is going on and of upcoming events.

That being said, I support prize dragon multiclutches, too. It would give people a better chance at getting them without having to catch multiple CB metals first - or being best buds with the winner(s).

This. And increase the number of prize dragons.

What about people who only want to breed their prize for themselves or friends? If I had one, I would only want eggs to go to who I chose to get one. In this respect, multi-clutching completely ruins people's play style.

A lot of arguments earlier were saying about how prize winners 'have no obligation to breed for the community', but this suggestion would mean that to breed their prize at all, winners would HAVE to breed for the community. Seems a bit contradictory to me.

@Dolphinsong: Sorry about that, I have added your suggestion as number 8. I hadn't seen it until now (things get rather lost on 22 pages and when everyone replies so quickly). :3 I can't see any problem in your suggestion myself, although it might be difficult to sum the event up and fit it all in a little notice on the site? Maybe have a link to a page on the DC site itself with all the info, to avoid cluttering the page?

Edited by TheGrox

What about people who only want to breed their prize for themselves or friends? If I had one, I would only want eggs to go to who I chose to get one. In this respect, multi-clutching completely ruins people's play style.

A lot of arguments earlier were saying about how prize winners 'have no obligation to breed for the community', but this suggestion would mean that to breed their prize at all, winners would HAVE to breed for the community.

Excuse me, I won a CB Holly and happened to breed it for a friend. Has having an HM ruined my playstyle? In retrospect, not, since I spread the love to other individuals and in doing so, allowed people without 50 CB metals to obtain a second gen holly.

Are you implying that JUST because we win a prize, we would not want to breed for the community?

If you increase the number of prizewinners, you have potentially ruined the playstyle of individuals as well. By limiting those who have entered the raffle, you have not only ruined the playstyle of every individuals involved, but denied these people their right to their playstyle; particularly that of newer players. In making raffle entries more difficult, you have also ruined the playstyle of casual players who may not have enough time to invest in a casual game. In creating prize dragons, you force individuals to almost wholly rely on trading to obtain a dragon; remember we have the AP and the biomes too, have your suggestions not had a significantly greater impact on playstyles, Grox, than mine?

Seems more than a bit contradictory to me. If you have your opinion that your suggestion will improve the game, I also have a belief that multiclutches will improve the game. If you allow a tenfold increase in prizes, you dilute the value of prizes tenfold and they will have no value on the market; further disrupting DC's economy and the playstyle of individuals, as you put it.

If you increase the number of prizes, the 80 000 people who did not win will continue to complain, and we are back to where we started with this discussion. By all means, let your considered suggestion go ahead, but remember that if you get what you wish for, it will not necessarily be what you expect.

When you participate in the Christmas event, do you believe that we are in any way obligated to breed for the community? A winner does not have to breed their prize at all. If they don't breed their prize, then no eggs are generated. That is choice enough.

Unless you are trying to imply that those who hit the button to breed never wanted an egg in the first place.

Edited by DarkEternity

That's the kind of attitude which stunts Evolution. Many great discoveries came from fixing what isn't broken.

and what about when we run out of things to fix? The human race will just... Stop.

Rude. Just rude.

What about people who only want to breed their prize for themselves or their friends?

Obviously, this does not involve you, as you choose to gift to other people, so you really don't need to get snarky about his suggestion.

How dare you try and speak for others when obviously, you are not one of the many who had never won anything.

When you participate in the Christmas event, do you believe that we are obligated to breed for the community?

Look at you, putting yourself in a special group when in fact, that holly of yours actually has no more value than ours, seeing as how it wasn't from 2007. Honestly, the whole point of the Christmas event is for us to have fun. By starting that in the way you did, you're actually advertising that it is your belief. Grox never said anything about that in any of his posts.

Your argument, on all accounts, is invalid, as you cannot speak for those users.

Edited by gistofeverything

I am entitled to freedom of speech, when last I checked, and everyone else speaks on behalf of the winners and yet no one else accuses them of 'daring' to do anything.

And would you treat me any differently, I wonder, if I had answered underneath another account? Unless that is a prerequisite to exercise true freedom of speech?

Edited by DarkEternity

Ahem. The snark is starting up again in this thread.

Quite frankly I am getting sick of it. If I have to close this thread again, it will probably be permanently closed.

Edited by LadyLyzar

They are speaking of themselves, NOT for everyone.

Yes there are those who breed freely for others, and there are those who use their prizes as money machines. That is their choice, their playstyle. We cannot force them to change their style. We cannot place rules and restrictions on what we do with our dragons.

I am entitled to freedom of speech, when last I checked, and everyone else speaks on behalf of the winners and yet no one else accuses them of 'daring' to do anything.

And would you treat me any differently, I wonder, if I had answered underneath another account? Unless that is a prerequisite to exercise true freedom of speech?

Right. That does not give you the freedom to speak for others.

By the way, I would not have treated you differently, as using another account is against the terms of service. I would have found you and called you out anyway.

Edited by gistofeverything

*Sigh* Whatever I say in this thread, my words will be twisted and used against me, by people who are so opposed to change that they refuse even to consider the other side of the argument (this not just about you DarkEternity, either).

Edit: thank you Gist. I was trying to write something similar to what you said, but you said it better than if could.

Edited by TheGrox

Right. That does not give you the freedom to speak for others.

Freedom of speech:The right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint.

What you are proposing is censorship.

Freedom with exceptions is no freedom at all as shown in the case of dictatorships where you can speak for anyone and anything unless you criticise the regime.

gistofeverything- I speak theoretically considering the fact that I believe that you keep preconceived notions about prizewinners.

Edited by DarkEternity

Using another user's voice is not exercising the freedom of speech, it's identity theft.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Using another user's voice is not exercising the freedom of speech, it's identity theft.

And rightly so, I'd prefer if people stop arguing on the behalf of prizewinners.

Unless there is a double standard that I am intruding upon.

Edited by DarkEternity

I am not implying anything, DarkEternity. It's just SOME people used the 'prize winners are within their rights to breed only for themselves' argument against me earlier, and this suggestion seems to contradict that whole argument. To summarise your post, everything we can do would in some way inlfluence playstyle.

In my understanding, the argument, was more "they decide if they want to breed. I know what you are aiming at, but at the same time, you could just as well argue that even with multiclutch, you would not be forced to breed, only that if you'd decide to do it, a multiclutch was possible. Technically a multiclucth doesn't force anyone to breed, just to give up those eggs that wouldn't have been available to the scroll holder anyway with single-egg-breeding.

Spam and rudeness removed. Edited by SockPuppet Strangler