GForce

Breeding mostly unsuccessful

Bred any of these in the last few days?  

883 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just hope that this means more CB blacks may show up, at least... it's unfortunate things don't just stay stable, instead of going back and forth between the extremes of too much breeding vs. no breeding, too many CB's of a breed vs. virtual extinction.

I think I might have to question TJ's numbers, too.

Even though silvi's lair only shows a small part of the number of eggs on this site, it's not like everyone who uses that site all at once decided not to breed metallics, not to breed blacks, etc. etc.

It would take a collective effort of everyone who uses Silvi's Lair to not enter in their Metallics/Blacks/Stripes for the ratios to be THIS off (as someone said before, 80%!)

Surely, While Silvi's can't be used for /exact/ numbers, this should provide a mild warning system of some kind.

7 silvers, 9 golds and 4 marrow/stripe all 20 got no egg produced just now

in 2 days I can try my white stripe CB pairs but ain't gonna hold my breath sad.gif

I always breed my gold dragon with a red dragon, because if I don't get a gold, I figure I can always get another dragon that can incubate. An egg is always produced (so far it's only been red tongue.gif) But the last time I bred them I didn't get any egg at all sad.gif

Then again - I am avoiding fan sites till ER time, as eggs seem to be getting so sick so early just now... Others may be doing the same.

The only person who knows how many eggs actually exist is TJ...

Pulling stats from a fan site is an accurate method of measurement for ratios as well as overall egg production if it includes data from, say, a month ago, and then compares it to data from this week, because it uses a random set of rather large numbers. It does not matter that "not everyone" uses fan sites, or that particular fan site. It is an accurate random sample that is useful for assessing information.

And yes, breeding is way off for the past week or so. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure that out, regardless of what anyone says. I can't begin to count the number of games that have had a bug or intentional design tweak wherein the moderators/designers/etc all denied its existence right on through the actual evidence. Whether intentional or not, it happens. Believe the overall evidence when you can get enough of it (as we can with the stats and ratios from fan sites).

It's not the first time, last time I took a hiatus from DC, it was going through a similar phase.

Most of my breedings lately, especially of Blacks, Metallics and Stripes, have produced nothing, though I've managed a couple of Whites and an Ember, and a few more which were promptly shipped off to the people I'd bred them for, apart from an (ongoing - argh!) wrong-coloured result.

But I have no idea how many breedings were attempted except that I've had an awful lot of total fails, mostly under circumstances where any dragon produced would have worked.

And I also noticed an abrupt alteration from (briefly) a nice number of metallics to virtually none, and very few Blacks as well, in the 3 fansites (DDF, EDS, and Silvi's) I'm using.

Sad...

Well, it WAS nice for a while, getting lots of Stripes and even some Silvers, because I'd found breeding results prior to that wonderful little burst we had, had typically sucked as well.

If it meant we'd get more CB Blacks, Stripes and metallics, that'd be different, though.

Edit: If most of the metallics, Blacks and Stripes were only being raised off-site, so to speak, that would explain a situation where typical numbers were being produced but not seen in fansites and if caught/bred predominately by those not on the forums, why they're not being much seen on on-forum scrolls or mentioned on forum threads.

But one would have to wonder why this would occur.

Edited by Syphoneira

I bred a magma lately... But that was it, which is odd since my metallics usually breed well.

Edited by soullesshuman

I'm still having oddly-lowered breeding results. I almost never produce metallics, so that bit hasn't changed, but when I breed all of them I almost always get a handful of commons, and that hasn't been true for the last week or so. All of my magi/ice pairs gave me nothing (which is very, very unusual, usually about 90% of them produce and there's almost always an ice in there), all of my stripes have given me nothing, and the only eggs I've managed to breed lately have been a magi from magi/magi, a flamingo from flamingo/ice, a few PB seasonals, and a purple from purple/red.

The cave unblocked for five minutes on top of every hour to give cave hunters a chance when the AP was clogged, can breeders have five minutes on top of every hour where breeding rates go back to where they were? dry.gif My projects are at a standstill.

Edit for a typo...

Edited by Verilidaine

No egg, no egg, no interest, no egg, no interest, no interest, no interest, no egg, etc, etc...

It's getting old now. dry.gif

Most of my breedings lately, especially of Blacks, Metallics and Stripes, have produced nothing, though I've managed a couple of Whites and an Ember, and a few more which were promptly shipped off to the people I'd bred them for, apart from an (ongoing - argh!) wrong-coloured result.

My fault blink.gifwink.gif

Some commons seem to be doing OK but the percentages are still lower than normal for them as well,( except at 11 pm my time when I am trying to hunt and the AP is full)

If the new limits were a reality, breeding could go back to normal and we could all take more from the AP, I know I have put back stuff that I would have kept because I hadn't the room- long term-to raise the dragon

Although I have done more cave hunting recently because nothing I wanted would produce. ( I still can't catch dry.gif )

This too shall pass and what does not kill us makes us stronger or at least I keep telling myself that cool.gif

Edited by dragonpuck

Yes, there WAS a metallic explosion during march - which is why I bring the question up with the frequency of ratios "checking" themselves.

Point is, if ratios check themselves very often - say, every day - fluctuations will be very small. For instance, if there are a few too many blacks, black breeding will be less succesfull next day, which will fix the problem almost immediately.

Conversely, if ratios only "check" themselves infrequently - say, once a month - things can get very much off balance. For instance, if ratio was (unusually) low for metallics when checking for March, metal breeding would have had high success following that, which would cause an overload of metallic eggs - which would then cause a dramatic back-lash once April "check" hits, because suddenly metallics are way high in ratios.

So if the latter was the case, that might indeed explain what we see now. I always thought ratios checked themselves daily, but opposite might explain some of the trends we sometimes see - like certain breeds being very freequent in some times, and then suddenly for long times being almost absent, and then later returning (like recently Nocturnes and Electrics were added to 'rare trading list', and now they're blocking the cave constantly).

I was just thinking this a few days ago. This could very well be the reason we are seeing the numbers we are now. It seems metals and blacks began being stubborn about about a month ago. The blacks were overbred for the black stripes in mid March and it seems the metal ratio was also tweaked close to this time. Once the check came around in April, there were too many blacks and metals, so we are getting the drought we have now. So things would be back to "normal" come the beginning of May...which oddly enough, happened to be the month I got a CB gold.

If people are willing to, it would be great to test something out. Once May does come around, please try your best to breed as few metals or blacks as possible (and stripes, trios, and nebulas also...any others that are extremely rare now?). Only breed the ones you absolutely need for lineages and trading/gifts. I'm not begging people to stop breeding, but I have seen how a group of people on the forum can have an impact on the site. I know it can be hard not wanting another gold or silver, or another black strips. I've finally pretty much stopped breeding my metals. I only breed a select few and i don't even breed those regularly. I guess I just want to see if it's possible to have ratios not fluctuating like this and to see if it's possible for more CBs of these dragons to be seen. I don't think it's completely hopeless. many people would mention that the majority of people are not on the forums,but even if a 5th of us are, then it's still enough to make an impact in my opinion. Also, from what I seen, people off the forums don't have too many golds or trios anyway, so it may really not be as hard to do as people might imagine. May may give us a good opportunity to try things out.

Lol, my golds almost never reproduce anyway.

It's rather like buying lottery tickets - making the effort apparently makes no difference to the chances...

Edit: dearest dragonpuck,

it's not your fault that my dragons are COLOURBLIND! xd.png

Edited by Syphoneira

I haven't had any problems with Pinks, Vines, Nebulas or Springs. Since it's been diverse, I picked "other."

Metals, I haven't had in months. sad.gif

I saw, and caught, a bred black in the AP earlier. Then I dropped it because I'm being picky about lineages. Just thought I'd mention it.

Edit: If most of the metallics, Blacks and Stripes were only being raised off-site, so to speak, that would explain a situation where typical numbers were being produced but not seen in fansites and if caught/bred predominately by those not on the forums, why they're not being much seen on on-forum scrolls or mentioned on forum threads.

But one would have to wonder why this would occur.

And like you say, there is simply *no* reason to believe that there was such a sudden and collective change of habits in using the hatchery(ies). Like Soliae said, from a statistical point of view, there's no reason to believe that what we see on Silve's is not a representative sample.

The only egg I've been able to produce in about 21 attempted breedings (if my count is right) is a single white egg. The rest stripes, blacks, silvers/golds (which I'd expect) have all failed to produce an egg or no interest. Considering that my interest is in the above breedings I'm uncertain as to whether the previous "fertile" period resulted in the Cave trying to balance the overall numbers again but producing nothing but failed breedings. I wonder if anyone working with the above breeds can tell us if they have had some success?

If people are willing to, it would be great to test something out. Once May does come around, please try your best to breed as few metals or blacks as possible (and stripes, trios, and nebulas also...any others that are extremely rare now?). Only breed the ones you absolutely need for lineages and trading/gifts. I'm not begging people to stop breeding, but I have seen how a group of people on the forum can have an impact on the site. I know it can be hard not wanting another gold or silver, or another black strips. I've finally pretty much stopped breeding my metals. I only breed a select few and i don't even breed those regularly. I guess I just want to see if it's possible to have ratios not fluctuating like this and to see if it's possible for more CBs of these dragons to be seen. I don't think it's completely hopeless. many people would mention that the majority of people are not on the forums,but even if a 5th of us are, then it's still enough to make an impact in my opinion. Also, from what I seen, people off the forums don't have too many golds or trios anyway, so it may really not be as hard to do as people might imagine. May may give us a good opportunity to try things out.

Very, very few people are likely to see or remember this if you only post it here.

I'd suggest checking it out with whatever moderators you need to go through, and then starting a topic.

Then you might actually get some participants.

:3

For myself I don't do a lot of black/stripe/other breeding that I don't keep.

I gift metallics from time to time, but mine are slow producers anyways, so I don't think they would add to the ratios a whole lot.

AND I breed them mainly to a larger variety of breeds than most (mostly stones, with some pinks, reds, pebbles, and a few blacks)

So if the latter was the case, that might indeed explain what we see now. I always thought ratios checked themselves daily, but opposite might explain some of the trends we sometimes see - like certain breeds being very freequent in some times, and then suddenly for long times being almost absent, and then later returning (like recently Nocturnes and Electrics were added to 'rare trading list', and now they're blocking the cave constantly).

Maybe - but why don't we see the metallics come and go in waves normally - we have had a steady low supply on metallics the last few months until the explosion in march, which now seesm to be counter acted by ratios, and yes I can confirm a bizzare none breeding on my scroll too - I thought I was esspecially unlucky with my 56 breeding pairs I wanted an egg from during the last 10 days or so (pink, red, stripe, black, sunsong, nebula and pillow)- I usually would not complain about it - bad luck happens - but as more people report it now - yes, I had that happening too.

I am just unsure if this whole thing is caused by a glitch or if the site was not fast enough in realising the over production in eggs and tries to counteract massively after the last ratio check. Because massive breedings of a certain species have happend before and while for example with the first stripe release it was difficult to sucessfully breed a coloured stripe for a while I cannot remeber a phenomenon like this at that time. I have teh feeling DC is usually pretty good at balancing breedings out when a certain species gets too much unsure.gif

Edited by Shanthaia

Well, I have just bred 40 pairs metallics and got one single common egg...

No, I don't call that normal or ok. Never happened to me before.

Also other breeding attempts with no rare dragons ended up giving no eggs.

About a week ago, the AP was packed with blacks. I regularly grab tons of blacks, since they're my favourite breed. I've seen one in the past week. The blacks have completely disappeared and I am very distraught, for one. What is going on?

Well, I have just bred 40 pairs metallics and got one single common egg...

No, I don't call that normal or ok. Never happened to me before.

Also other breeding attempts with no rare dragons ended up giving no eggs.

Last week I breed most of my long lineages metals, almost 30 and I got 2 common eggs, 1 pebble and 1 water horse.

I haven't breed my short lineages, I don't feel like there is a point, specially since most of them are paired with Stripes and Blacks

Is really depressing, I love to breed my metals sad.gif

Be well

Been seeing some CB metallics in trade threads, so I'm going :D At the possibility that this is making the CBs more common.

Y'alls already have so many, let the rest of us get some >_>

Oh, and I just bred another Pink :3