MisaTange

Name Check Thread

Well I just figured I would ask... personally I have zero problems with the names but had decided previous to the question someone might have an issue with Hooker and Codpiece just asked about them to see if I was feeling out the general concenscous correctly. So still censored. I went and censored Naked but to be honest that one surprised me anyone would have a problem I tossed it in to see.

I used Schist but as a definition not as a joke... 

I kept Chert as is. 

12 hours ago, maratrekkan said:

Well I am keeping the tv episode names from Big Bang censored as I figured those two words might not be okay.

But If “I am too sexy for my wings” is okay why would “Chert” be bad? The fact band names like Sex Pistols was okayed leaves me scratching my head... as why the geology pun would be bad.

I can and will rename dragons but Schist is a Geological term.

So is Chert.

9 hours ago, Starscream said:

Chert would not be too bad.

Chert is totally harmless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chert

I'm honestly puzzled as to why anyone would have a problem with "Codpiece". It's a historical article of clothing. It's not even underwear.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:59 AM, maratrekkan said:

“The Naked Time” (OST)

”The Codpiece Topology” (BB)

”The Dead Hooker Juxtapostion” (BB)

The Dead Hooker one is the only one I take issue with.

And The Sex Pistols are a very well-known band, and I 100% would be offended if my 13 year old child didn't know who they were. :P The problem with a lot of episode titles or song lyrics is that it can result in censor evasion or dark themes that could make someone uncomfortable. The thing about band names and names of celebrities aka "Dick Cheney"/"The Sex Pistols" or whatever is that people DO know who most mainstream celebs are. If there's no blatant censor evasion in those names, people usually recognize them, and a google search isn't going to be inappropriate. 

Also, Poledancers =/= strippers these days. It's a pretty well-recognized sport and exercise. :) I mean I'm pretty sure there's classes like there are for bellydancing and things like that. P sure my university has classes similar at our gym complex.

Also, geology puns are funny. A+

Also: if anyone is getting super worried about inappropriate names... 1. If you're not blatantly evading the censor like CLEARLY evading it,  2. you're not being explicitly sexual (and I'm talking nasty nasty) or 3. You have one really explicit name or something that's borderline, and we feel like you really didn't know, or 4. You post it here and ask,

You WON'T have dragons killed and you won't have your naming privileges taken. We'll let you know. Trust me. And all the mods have to agree to have action taken. There is never just one person in charge of those decisions. Just check it here if you're unsure. Don't be afraid to ask us. 

Edited by Earth Gurl

1 hour ago, Earth Gurl said:

Also, Poledancers =/= strippers these days. It's a pretty well-recognized sport and exercise. :) I mean I'm pretty sure there's classes like there are for bellydancing and things like that. P sure my university has classes similar at our gym complex.

Oh I didn't meant to imply that poledancers were anything inappropriate like that. I know it has been something okayed by mods in the past, and so I was using it as a comparison as to why naked, codpiece, etc. should not be considered inherently inappropriate either =) I think it stands as a good "line drawn in the sand" regarding some other words and topics people may be unsure about.

21 hours ago, Naraku said:

Are Viewbomber and Viewbombers ok to use? If they're not, I'll remove them. Just wondering since they both weren't taken (to my surprise).

Those are totally fine.

I saw "shibari" wasn't taken is this considered too inappropriate?

Okay so to clarify.

I kept this name “Im Too Sexy For My Chert CB”, I am a bit confused if “Schist Happens” would be okay I changed it to “Schist Is A Metamorphic Rock 2E”... if the original name is okay let me know.

I changed “The Naked Time” to “The N Time” but if Naked is okay would prefer to use the original name.

I am okay with not using Hooker as I figured that would be a problem so the censored name is “The Dead H Juxtapostion 3E”

Like some folks I am not offended by the word Codpiece as it was and is an article of clothing or armor however the dragon is currently named “The C Topology 2E” if the name can be uncensored please let me know.

Thanks for the input... 

I don't have a reason to use this for a name yet, but is the word Gypsy allowed? Recently people seem to be way more up in arms about the word than I remember it ever being.

34 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I don't have a reason to use this for a name yet, but is the word Gypsy allowed? Recently people seem to be way more up in arms about the word than I remember it ever being.

I don't know if there's an official policy or anything, but I wouldn't personally approve of a name like that. I've seen Americans using that word online a lot,  and I think it's mostly because of ignorance, but perhaps the rule of thumb should be that it's not nice to use a racist slur for a group of people who have faced genocide.

I got a dragon with “Gypsy” in it’s name. Never occurred to me that would be an issue. Is it? Name is The Gypsy Moons after an old sci-fi film.

Also the words Skank & Groin? I figured I would censor those when I get to using the episode’s names that have those words but may as well ask.

Edited by maratrekkan

5 minutes ago, Aie said:

I don't know if there's an official policy or anything, but I wouldn't personally approve of a name like that. I've seen Americans using that word online a lot,  and I think it's mostly because of ignorance, but perhaps the rule of thumb should be that it's not nice to use a racist slur for a group of people who have faced genocide.

That's the thing though- it is not a slur here. And it's not even only an American thing. There's a song by a British rock group from the 70s called Gypsy- and no, it wans't about Romani people, nor anything racist. Gypsy is another word for Traveler. It's only recently become this 'big deal'

2 hours ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

That's the thing though- it is not a slur here. And it's not even only an American thing. There's a song by a British rock group from the 70s called Gypsy- and no, it wans't about Romani people, nor anything racist. Gypsy is another word for Traveler. It's only recently become this 'big deal'

What you're saying is the same argument people use to defend the n-word in my home country: "It isn't a slur here" or "it wasn't a slur back then." Just because many white people who live somewhere without a significant Romani minority see nothing wrong with it doesn't mean it wouldn't carry all that baggage of discrimination. I don't use the n-word even though black people were never kept slaves in my country. You probably don't use slurs against Jewish people (I should hope so, at least), even though the Holocaust happened in Europe, on another continent. So why should g*psy be any different when Romani people tell they consider it offensive?

Edited by Aie

@Aie Everyone is too sensitive. If it's not a slur here, it's not a slur here. Spastic isn't a slur here either, but it's offensive in the UK. It's just a word here that doesn't carry the same amount of negative baggage. Fanny isn't bad here either. You can't take something that applies to one culture or area of the world and force it onto another. You can never predict what innocent phrase or word will mean something bad to someone else, so I don't see the need for the censorship to go so far overboard trying to.

As I've said, Gypsy doesn't even mean the Romani people here. And as far as the N-word goes, it is offensive here, but that doesn't stop people from having 'reclaimed it'- they use it all the time for themselves. I don't, they do.

I'm also not even sure I know a slur against Jewish people, unless Jew is one. I know a slur for Chinese people, but I won't say that.

Edit; This word was okay to say on television for kids, in a promo that was made somewhere between 2000 and 2012. Can't say for certain, but I definitely saw this promo around 2007 or 2008 or so,

Whether DC decides to allow it or not, a word that means one thing to one culture doesn't necessarily carry the same bad connotation in another.

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

Gypsy is fine. It's a name and has word usage outside of being meant as a slur, unlike another word being mentioned. There are gypsy moths, plants with the name 'gypsy' in them, and people often self identify as the term when used in a local or nationality context.

If the word is being used like, "I hate Gypsies dey r scum" then there you go-- that's offensive. Gypsy moons, gypsy flowers, gypsy dances, etc. are all harmless.

@maratrekkan

By Earth Gurl's words and common perception, all those names were fine except the hooker one. I'm sure you can uncensor codpiece, naked time, etc. and be fine.

I don't see a problem with "shibari" when used by itself, personally. Most people would have to google to term to find out where it is often applied to, and the word itself is innocuous enough when not used in a specific context. Those are my thoughts, though, and I am not a moderator.

Edited by Nine

19 minutes ago, Draconiusultamius said:

@Aiehttps://dragcave.net/lineage/xC6iS

plenty of dragons named gypsy in this lineage.  I'd say it's probably fine.

I own the dragon "My Gypsy Wife" in this lineage and was just going to ask about it. (The name was inspired by its parents names and a Leonard Cohen song.)

Can the dragon keep this name?

Also can "Let's talk about sex" keep his name?

The song isn't derogatory in nature, so it's fine.  Honestly, people overreact to certain words and phrases and I dislike that more than I often do the word itself.  

5 hours ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

@Aie Everyone is too sensitive. If it's not a slur here, it's not a slur here. Spastic isn't a slur here either, but it's offensive in the UK. It's just a word here that doesn't carry the same amount of negative baggage. Fanny isn't bad here either. You can't take something that applies to one culture or area of the world and force it onto another. You can never predict what innocent phrase or word will mean something bad to someone else, so I don't see the need for the censorship to go so far overboard trying to.

As I've said, Gypsy doesn't even mean the Romani people here. And as far as the N-word goes, it is offensive here, but that doesn't stop people from having 'reclaimed it'- they use it all the time for themselves. I don't, they do.

I'm also not even sure I know a slur against Jewish people, unless Jew is one. I know a slur for Chinese people, but I won't say that.

Edit; This word was okay to say on television for kids, in a promo that was made somewhere between 2000 and 2012. Can't say for certain, but I definitely saw this promo around 2007 or 2008 or so,

Whether DC decides to allow it or not, a word that means one thing to one culture doesn't necessarily carry the same bad connotation in another.

If it's a slur anywhere it's a slur. This is an international site, even though it's based in the States. I do agree that PC has gone way too far, and I would personally also be OK with gypsy, simply because it doesn't only refer to the Roma people - though probably I now wouldn't  name a dragon with the word. I do know some Jewish slurs and I wouldn't  use those either. Or spastic. Fanny has never been REALLY crude, though it is slightly dodgy in the UK. But only in fun, and it is also a valid girl's name (sweet Fannie Adams, anyone ?)

I can't see what word you mean from that video. But the best rule of thumb is that if you think you need to ask, you might be on shaky ground...

You can't take something that applies to one culture or area of the world and force it onto another.

No but also you can't assume that just because burping after a meal shows a sign of appreciation, satiety and being well fed  in your country (Bahrain) that your doing so in the States will be appreciated. And just try wearing a mini skirt in Saudi Arabia. Never mind the law - it's simply rude. Being sensitive to all cultures is the best way to be a world citizen. Not in a slavish silly way - but simply being polite. Here we have people from all over the world. There's no need to offend any single one of them. (And for the record. I also know some anti-US slurs. I wouldn't  use those either. Even on a UK or Canadian site.

I am aware of cultural differences too. Honestly though it is impossible to not offend as some differences are too extreme. You can use some common rules to get along but for instance my job is a death sentence for me in some countries... bad me I drive for a living and I am female. I work on Friday too, some people find that offensive.

The name Hitler is outlawed in Germany. Rubber can mean the material, an eraser or a condom. Spunk in the USA means something like you have spirit or moxie or pluck but in another country is a bad word and means seamen. Honey means prostitute in yet another country not just the yummy thing we eat or a cute name.  I know a huge list of food words used as racist slams or references examples: mayo, cracker, saltine, banana, apple, Oreo, Twinkie, white bread, brown sugar, mocha, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and latte... there are more. Food for sexual stuff, carrot, cucumber, eggs, melons, peach, taco, fish, plums, cherry, milk, honey and more. 

My point is people are constantly turning normal non bad words into double entendres of sexual nature or slurs. It is impossible to speak without offending someone as words are constantly being recycled... do you all know Nice used to mean cruel but with misuse now means kind.

It is impossible to speak to some people without them trying to sexualize every thing even... their minds are 24/7 in the gutter. 

The reason we have a huge number of names for the toilet, is the euphemism club kept deciding every time everyone understood a word as meaning toilet that was vulgar and bad and they kept changing their minds on what was okay to say.

Most older bad words are in fact a form of linguistic prejuidice against groups of people in the UK... commoners use those words, show you are educated by using another word that means the exact same thing and thus a better class. Word snobs have been around a very long time.

It it is impossible to make English globally non offensive as what is “offensive” is constantly changing between English speaking countries and other people globally have different sensibilities about what is offensive. 

Edited by maratrekkan

I know a woman who is literally named Gypsy (as well as a horse and two dogs). It wasn't until I was in my late twenties that I found out that in Europe that word is used exclusively to refer derogatively to the Romani people and not just a romanticized term for a traveling entertainer or someone who experiences wanderlust (which is what it is here). It's not that I think people are too sensitive, but that the word means something completely different - something positive - here. I see it more akin to reclaiming the word "queer" than being even remotely comparable to the n-word.

2 hours ago, LibbyLishly said:

I see it more akin to reclaiming the word "queer" than being even remotely comparable to the n-word.

Except using the word Gypsy is not reclaiming if you're not Romani. It may not always be racist in intent but it's not reclaiming.

9 minutes ago, Laura-Borealis said:

Except using the word Gypsy is not reclaiming if you're not Romani. It may not always be racist in intent but it's not reclaiming.

Fine, drop the word "reclaiming". I see it as akin to the word "queer" then. Different meanings depending where you go and requires specific context to be offensive. And it can be reclaimed if people choose to.

17 hours ago, Tish said:

I saw "shibari" wasn't taken is this considered too inappropriate?

This is inappropriate.

13 hours ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I'm personally fine with Gypsy. I know a girl named Gypsy. I wouldn't kill a dragon over it.

13 hours ago, maratrekkan said:

Skank & Groin

No and yes. Just nothing sexual please.

10 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

. (The name was inspired by its parents names and a Leonard Cohen song.)

Literally immediately thought of Cohen when I saw there was a convo about "Gypsy" as a word.

12 hours ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Everyone is too sensitive.

No one is being too sensitive; they are voicing their concerns. But it isn't a slur here, I agree. Fleetwood Mac would attest to that as well as the use as a name. If anyone was naming dragons slamming the Romani people or speaking negatively, the mods would shut that down quickly, believe me. We try to be accepting of all peoples here, definitely. It's just there has to be middle ground when referring to words that may have different connotations elsewhere. Dragon Cave, as I see it, is a fairly "American based" game, as even in descriptions we require American English rather than BE or anything. But NO ONE is being too sensitive when bringing up something that may make them uncomfortable. 

7 hours ago, fuzzbucket said:

No but also you can't assume that just because burping after a meal shows a sign of appreciation, satiety and being well fed  in your country (Bahrain) that your doing so in the States will be appreciated. And just try wearing a mini skirt in Saudi Arabia. Never mind the law - it's simply rude. Being sensitive to all cultures is the best way to be a world citizen. Not in a slavish silly way - but simply being polite. Here we have people from all over the world. There's no need to offend any single one of them. (And for the record. I also know some anti-US slurs. I wouldn't  use those either. Even on a UK or Canadian site.

Well of course not, but this website is based in the United States, so I'd assume US culture would take a certain amount of precedent- which seems Earth Gurl agrees with.

As far as sensitivities go, I just don't like people forcing censorship when a word is only bad to them- or assuming that we're terrible or racist for using some words when it literally doesn't mean that here.

Now to google shibari cause I have no clue what that is.