Jump to content
MisaTange

Name Check Thread

Recommended Posts

@Confused Cat That was just a short list of what I suspected.  No one ever gave me the full list.  I just remembered those off the top of my head.  

 

BTW, love that lineage😎

You shouldn't have any trouble with those names, I hope.

Share this post


Link to post

Is "Karl Hungus" ok?

 

As in Big Lebowski, "I'm here to fix the cable." 

Share this post


Link to post

Since I know the context of Karl Hungus I'm leaning towards no on that one. I'll wait for another mod's opinion.

 

@jerzeeshadow all of those names you posted, with the exception of Crotch, would have gotten a no vote from me. 

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, Toyo said:

Is "Karl Hungus" ok?

 

As in Big Lebowski, "I'm here to fix the cable." 

 

I don't know the context, so I'm not sure. It sounds okay to someone who's never seen that movie. @jerzeeshadow there were so many that a list was unnecessary. When you have 9 pages of them with dozens and dozens of names that, quite frankly, made me queasy,  that's when your naming privileges get wiped rather than having a couple dragon deaths. Very very few people have had this action taken against them, and it's irreversible. If you have any specific questions about it, please PM me. We're not going to address anything publicly as it is YOUR business. If you wanted a list, all you had to do was ask.

Share this post


Link to post

@purpledragonclaw @Earth Gurl 

 

Thanks! I'll remove it, both to be safe, and because I do associate it with dirty things. (And I think anyone who has seen that movie would, too.)

Share this post


Link to post

@Toyo A safe bet, the consensus so far is unanimous for no on that name.You referenced a great movie, though, if you could pick a character that's not so inappropriate it should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post

@purpledragonclaw Love that movie! I went on a Big Lebowski naming marathon a while back, and got a ton of the harmless names, too. I went ahead and removed "Bunny La Joya" as well as that other name above, because I am a good citizen with a pure heart. (Ha.)

 

So, on topic, it seems like otherwise innocuous names that have less clean pop culture references are a no-no? I name a lot of my dragons after fictional characters, so I just want to clarify.

 

Would, for example, "Ted Mosby is Lance Hardwood" be bad, because it references a (kinda lame, non-explicitly described) porn star? Or is it ok, because How I Met Your Mother was PG-13 (or PG, cable, or whatever)? 

Share this post


Link to post

The Lance Hardwood part is a no, although it's one of tamer names referenced it's still inappropriate.

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe I'm just weird, but I don't see how Lance Hardwood is inappropriate if it's just a silly, fictional name used in a sitcom episode. It sounds like the kind of name someone would make up if they're trying to be 'sexy' but fail miserably (which was probably the joke). Especially if things less innocuous like pole dancing and lap dancing have been okay'd. Especially especially when 'hardwood' is a term for trees. 

Share this post


Link to post

What makes it inappropriate to me is the context, even if it is fictional. It's why Karl Hungus isn't acceptable too, even though that name is much more overt.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello all!
DISCLAIMER: I give my dragons ridiculous names- it's just who I am.

I have a Fever Wyvern, and my first thought was that it looks like it's telling someone to get off it's backside. Is "get off mY ARSE" okay? Can I use "butt" in a name?
Also, I have a dragon with "beer" in it's name- is this alright?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

General mod opinion on variations on "Screw you" in dragon names? I had a couple I was considering but it seemed a bit close to the line.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/29/2017 at 9:38 AM, LibbyLishly said:

General mod opinion on variations on "Screw you" in dragon names? I had a couple I was considering but it seemed a bit close to the line.

Not a mod, but I would say no. That could be offensive or innapropriate, depending on context.

Share this post


Link to post

That's why I've held off, but seeing things like "arse" pass muster made me wonder.

Share this post


Link to post

I've heard some mods say that names are fine, as long as it's something that's not insanely obvious.  Don't see why "Karl Hungus" would be inappropriate out of context, it does sound like a legit name to me (maybe of a Karl who really likes to kill people?  Still seems appropriate since it took me five minutes to get that and I'm almost an adult.) on that note, I have two dragons who's names reference song lyrics, which are a little risqué if taken out of context: balls in the sink (a line from google translate sings: wrecking ball), and salsa on my balls boys (a misheard lyric from some song.  It's supposed to say shouts to all my lost boys).  And I also have one that I decided to have a little fun with (8-----D hopefully don't need to explain that one, it's more overt).

Are those ok?  I'm also keeping some names for jerzee because I think that TJ might restore naming privileges in the far future, give a few years for maturity or something as I don't agree with true permanance of punishments and think that people should be given a chance to learn from them and try again.  Hopefully I'm not holding any of the really offensive names as I tried to censor them out.  I did keep Witchlight of Hell, Adultery and some others, as they seem fine out of context (maybe the Witchlight is a demon and maybe the dragon does like "adulting" whatever that might be).  Both were okayed by LadyLyzar. 

 

Also, for future reference, what if I wanted to name a dragon based on anatomy or something?  What about certain songs, which are actually critical about a "sensitive issue" like drugs or adultery or something?  What about certain people who are shunned by society for being morally wrong, such as a name referencing a specific murder or a serial killer?  What about gray area names in general?  I really dislike censorship and the "disease" of the "special snowflake mindset", but I do think that a site designed for all ages should be ok for people of all ages, not favouring one over the other.  But I want to be able to name my dragons so that the lineage says "I choked her to death, then cut her in small pieces so I could take the meat to my rooms, cook, and eat it. How sweet and tender her little "backside" was roasted in the oven. It took me 9 days to eat her entire body." From the letter sent from Albert Fish to the parents of Grace Budd after he murdered her and are her.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Draconiusultamius said:

I've heard some mods say that names are fine, as long as it's something that's not insanely obvious.  Don't see why "Karl Hungus" would be inappropriate out of context, it does sound like a legit name to me (maybe of a Karl who really likes to kill people?  Still seems appropriate since it took me five minutes to get that and I'm almost an adult.) on that note, I have two dragons who's names reference song lyrics, which are a little risqué if taken out of context: balls in the sink (a line from google translate sings: wrecking ball), and salsa on my balls boys (a misheard lyric from some song.  It's supposed to say shouts to all my lost boys).  And I also have one that I decided to have a little fun with (8-----D hopefully don't need to explain that one, it's more overt).

Are those ok?  I'm also keeping some names for jerzee because I think that TJ might restore naming privileges in the far future, give a few years for maturity or something as I don't agree with true permanance of punishments and think that people should be given a chance to learn from them and try again.  Hopefully I'm not holding any of the really offensive names as I tried to censor them out.  I did keep Witchlight of Hell, Adultery and some others, as they seem fine out of context (maybe the Witchlight is a demon and maybe the dragon does like "adulting" whatever that might be).  Both were okayed by LadyLyzar. 

 

Also, for future reference, what if I wanted to name a dragon based on anatomy or something?  What about certain songs, which are actually critical about a "sensitive issue" like drugs or adultery or something?  What about certain people who are shunned by society for being morally wrong, such as a name referencing a specific murder or a serial killer?  What about gray area names in general?  I really dislike censorship and the "disease" of the "special snowflake mindset", but I do think that a site designed for all ages should be ok for people of all ages, not favouring one over the other.  But I want to be able to name my dragons so that the lineage says "I choked her to death, then cut her in small pieces so I could take the meat to my rooms, cook, and eat it. How sweet and tender her little "backside" was roasted in the oven. It took me 9 days to eat her entire body." From the letter sent from Albert Fish to the parents of Grace Budd after he murdered her and are her.

Those are probably okay. I don't recommend keeping names for Jerzeeshadow though. If they were bad enough to result in punishment on Jerzee's scroll, they'll be just as bad on your own. So be careful with those. The Witchlight name is fine.

 

Anatomy can be okay depending on what part of the body and context, but your Albert Fish lineage is a big NO from me. I know a bit about who he is and what he did and to be honest, that's too much for a family friendly site. Saying the word "murder" or "cannablism" is one thing. Describing the act in detail is another. If it can't go in a description, it can't go in a name. And I've personally seen mods reject similar descriptions. Maybe you can just use a play on words instead, like "Albert Fish is Hungry" or something?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, The Dragoness said:

Those are probably okay. I don't recommend keeping names for Jerzeeshadow though. If they were bad enough to result in punishment on Jerzee's scroll, they'll be just as bad on your own. So be careful with those. The Witchlight name is fine.

 

Anatomy can be okay depending on what part of the body and context, but your Albert Fish lineage is a big NO from me. I know a bit about who he is and what he did and to be honest, that's too much for a family friendly site. Saying the word "murder" or "cannablism" is one thing. Describing the act in detail is another. If it can't go in a description, it can't go in a name. And I've personally seen mods reject similar descriptions. Maybe you can just use a play on words instead, like "Albert Fish is Hungry" or something?

Don't worry, I'm pretty careful with keeping names for them (or anyone for that matter).  I actually have a group for that, if you're interested in helping me determine if there are any inappropriate things that I didn't consider inappropriate https://dragcave.net/group/33943 (EXALT OH NOOKIE is fine by my standards as well since I legit thought 'nookie' was a slang term for a noob as in noob+rookie= nookie.)  I'll try not to do any murder-related lineages which are very explicit.  As for biology related things which might not be allowed, is Seminiferous tubules ok?  What about names for dragons named after bad-word coded parents?

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Draconiusultamius said:

Don't worry, I'm pretty careful with keeping names for them (or anyone for that matter).  I actually have a group for that, if you're interested in helping me determine if there are any inappropriate things that I didn't consider inappropriate https://dragcave.net/group/33943 (EXALT OH NOOKIE is fine by my standards as well since I legit thought 'nookie' was a slang term for a noob as in noob+rookie= nookie.)  I'll try not to do any murder-related lineages which are very explicit.  As for biology related things which might not be allowed, is Seminiferous tubules ok?  What about names for dragons named after bad-word coded parents?

All of the names in your group look decent to me! EXALT OH NOOKIE is the only one that's really innapropriate (nookie is salng for intercourse), but I think it should be okay.

 

I would stay away from seminiferous tubules, since that's an innapropriate part of the body. What kind of bad word codes are you thinking of naming dragons after?

Edited by The Dragoness

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, The Dragoness said:

All of the names in your group look decent to me! EXALT OH NOOKIE is the only one that's really innapropriate (nookie is salng for intercourse), but I think it should be okay.

 

I would stay away from seminiferous tubules, since that's an innapropriate part of the body. What kind of bad word codes are you thinking of naming dragons after?

I guess anything with swears or body parts.  I'm pretty sure I have a dragon named seminiferous or something.  Idk.  LadyLyzar told me that anything that's not too overt should pass.  Like naming something *** or xxx or ***1*

Edited by Draconiusultamius

Share this post


Link to post

So, I'm mostly working on lineages where the dragons are named by song lyrics, and I'm not sure about how much "violence" and death is okay.

-> Can I name a dragon "Patricide" (or, as the name is already given to a dragon, a variant with Spaces somewhere in there, like "Patri cide" or "P atricide")?

 

(I thought I had more I wanted to ask, but I don't remember now... Well.)

Share this post


Link to post

I have a dragon with the code SXSZi, and I'm wondering if naming her "I'm SXSZi and I Know It" would be inappropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/5/2017 at 11:19 AM, NightEagle said:

So, I'm mostly working on lineages where the dragons are named by song lyrics, and I'm not sure about how much "violence" and death is okay.

-> Can I name a dragon "Patricide" (or, as the name is already given to a dragon, a variant with Spaces somewhere in there, like "Patri cide" or "P atricide")?

 

(I thought I had more I wanted to ask, but I don't remember now... Well.)

I'm tentatively saying yes on this one. It's not graphic, but it is violent, like you said. Those names can be tricky.

 

1 hour ago, heavensin said:

I have a dragon with the code SXSZi, and I'm wondering if naming her "I'm SXSZi and I Know It" would be inappropriate.

That sounds fine to me. Sexy is usually okay in that context.

Share this post


Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.