MisaTange

Name Check Thread

As someone who uses the term queer to self-describe, and who found a dragon with the code Cweer, does anyone see any issue with Cweerling?

2 hours ago, Somercy said:

As someone who uses the term queer to self-describe, and who found a dragon with the code Cweer, does anyone see any issue with Cweerling?

I think it's fine. It's not a real word that can be found in a dictionary or sensor evasion. I say go for it.

@LibbyLishly I would say no on "Screw you", personally. Toes the line too much. @Draconiusultamius Drugs, no, adultery, yes. Any naming pattern that follows choking someone to death, butchering them, cooking them, and eating them is a no. No on the nookie, though, and the anatomical reference you made. Anatomical names are fine, depending on where you're referencing. I've named several of my dragons after anatomical parts. @NightEagle patricide seems fine to me, same with death. Pretty sure I have dragons with death names. @heavensin that name is fine. @Somercy Cweerling is fine. 

1 hour ago, littleangelamy22 said:

I've just picked up the name Xanax and Chill, but wanted to check it wasn't too much? I'll change it if it is.

I think it's okay. Xanax and Chill has a different tone to it than a name like "Weed and Chill" or "Cocaine and Chill." 

I want to do a lyrical lineage for one of my favorite songs, but it has some swearing (only one word, four letters and then -ed). I'd like to use it, but censor it if that's allowed.

If it's allowed, what ways would I be allowed to censor it? Would "----ed" be acceptable? Or should I change it to a clean word that shares the same meaning in context?

(the song is Sing to Me by Delain, for anyone wondering)

59 minutes ago, Ariento said:

I want to do a lyrical lineage for one of my favorite songs, but it has some swearing (only one word, four letters and then -ed). I'd like to use it, but censor it if that's allowed.

If it's allowed, what ways would I be allowed to censor it? Would "----ed" be acceptable? Or should I change it to a clean word that shares the same meaning in context?

(the song is Sing to Me by Delain, for anyone wondering)

I would change it to a clean word. "----ed" could come across as sensor evasion. 

Would it be ok to include "Cig" or "Cigs" in a dragon name, as a reference to cigarettes? I have an egg with that at the start of the code, and wanted to use it in the name as long as it's ok (I have another dragon holding the name for now)

Just a quick check, but is Ugandan Knuckles an okay name? You see them a lot in the game vrchat and was hoping it would be okay in the context of dragcave.

5 hours ago, lovecats99 said:

Just a quick check, but is Ugandan Knuckles an okay name? You see them a lot in the game vrchat and was hoping it would be okay in the context of dragcave.

I think that would be okay. I'm entirely really sure what the name might be referencing though.

On 1/5/2018 at 5:20 AM, The Dragoness said:

I think that would be okay. I'm entirely really sure what the name might be referencing though.

It's basically this very strange and confusing meme when waves of people go around in groups as teeny, dodgy knuckles avatars and, for some reason, this is connected to Uganda. Yeah, I don't understand it at all, but then that's probably why I like it so much.

Edited by lovecats99

On 12/20/2017 at 8:19 PM, leaf0701 said:

Would it be ok to include "Cig" or "Cigs" in a dragon name, as a reference to cigarettes? I have an egg with that at the start of the code, and wanted to use it in the name as long as it's ok (I have another dragon holding the name for now)

I also have a dragon referencing cigarettes, so will watch this thread in case it is a bad thing. Figured since there are many G and PG related programs showing smoking that it would be okay, as long as it isn't a brand name or glorifying the act. It also makes my dragon's rude code a lot less rude. :)

9 hours ago, lovecats99 said:

It's basically this very strange and confusing meme when waves of people go around in groups as teeny, dodgy knuckles avatars and, for some reason, this is connected to Uganda. Yeah, I don't understand it at all, but then that's probably why I like it so much.

image.png.2928d8f8ad60dd7cb9a75034d6db5282.png - avatars look very much like this

That seems totally fine to me. It is the strangest thing I've seen all day though XD

33 minutes ago, 13310 said:

I also have a dragon referencing cigarettes, so will watch this thread in case it is a bad thing. Figured since there are many G and PG related programs showing smoking that it would be okay, as long as it isn't a brand name or glorifying the act. It also makes my dragon's rude code a lot less rude. :)

Cigarettes aren't bad (outside of the physical world) and they've become ingrained in so many cultures to the point they are hardly seen as a "drug", kind of like caffeine. Brand names should be fine too. Some of the old hokey cigarette ad slogans would make hilarious dragon names.

I have read some of the thread and I am a bit confused so a few questions...

I have a couple very loose themes I use to name my dragons... one is science jokes I would like to use the geology jokes “I’m Too Sexy For My Chert” & “Schist Happens” ... would these be okay?

Another theme revolves around using TV show episode names, there are two Big Bang episodes that use of the words Codpiece in one, and Hooker in another and an old Star Trek episode. So here are the episode names...

“The Naked Time” (OST)

”The Codpiece Topology” (BB)

”The Dead Hooker Juxtapostion” (BB)

I currently have one dragon named The Naked Time and the two BB named dragons have censored by me names, but after reading the thread I am a bit confused on what is and is not okay.

Have had eggs hatch since posting... so I have used ”I’m Too Sexy For My Chert” & “Schist Happens”. 

I have not uncensored the two BB dragons yet.

Edited by maratrekkan

44 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

"Failed Seduction" is okay, yes?

i think that's okay.

I think your uncensored names are probably okay, @maratrekkan, but I say that with caution. I recommend getting a second opinion if you can,

On 1/6/2018 at 4:59 PM, maratrekkan said:

I have read some of the thread and I am a bit confused so a few questions...

I have a couple very loose themes I use to name my dragons... one is science jokes I would like to use the geology jokes “I’m Too Sexy For My Chert” & “Schist Happens” ... would these be okay?

Another theme revolves around using TV show episode names, there are two Big Bang episodes that use of the words Codpiece in one, and Hooker in another and an old Star Trek episode. So here are the episode names...

“The Naked Time” (OST)

”The Codpiece Topology” (BB)

”The Dead Hooker Juxtapostion” (BB)

I currently have one dragon named The Naked Time and the two BB named dragons have censored by me names, but after reading the thread I am a bit confused on what is and is not okay.

Have had eggs hatch since posting... so I have used ”I’m Too Sexy For My Chert” & “Schist Happens”. 

I have not uncensored the two BB dragons yet.

I wouldn't use the Hooker one.

Well I am keeping the tv episode names from Big Bang censored as I figured those two words might not be okay.

But If “I am too sexy for my wings” is okay why would “Chert” be bad? The fact band names like Sex Pistols was okayed leaves me scratching my head... as why the geology pun would be bad.

I can and will rename dragons but Schist is a Geological term. 

I can rename the Star Trek named dragon too... but not sure why that is even bad. 

Chert would not be too bad.

Its not anything against star trek -  but in general that's not a suitable name. Does not matter that its an episode, or in some cases lyrics to a popular song. it would be safer to avoid using those names or find oneself without the naming privileges.

Schist is a term I am familiar with and I don't find that in of itself is an evasion. Slag happens also. Context needs to be considered in some cases. Personally I would not nail Schist either. Codpiece, naked time and the hookers one I would likely have an issue with. maybe the naked time and the hookers. I know someone had something similar recently -  and that ended badly.

Basically just because it is in mainstream media, books, songs, movies, kumquats. It would not legitimise its use as dragons names if its considered generally inappropriate. If a lyric needs to be used, I would find something more tasteful. Such as the Dead Girl Juxtapositon. Naked Time -  without knowing it as a star trek reference, and I had to go back and review your post, to me sounds extremely sexual. Another mod would have to weigh in though. Without knowing specific references  -  its hazardous.

viewbomber and viewbombers would not be a problem in my opinion. Its likely no one considered them as names before.

Edited by Starscream

Keeping in mind that I am no forum mod and that I appear to have a much higher tolerance regarding what offends me in a very sensitive society, I don't see anything wrong with the Sexy, Schist, Naked, and Codpiece names. There's nothing wrong with naked; I don't think even the most PC and G rated of cartoons would censor such a word, regardless of connotation. It's a state of not wearing clothes, dragons are naked. Naked can also be used as an embellishment on something being plain, simple, and unmuddled-- ie. the naked truth. Pretty sure there was a Harry Potter puppet video that popularized that term, too, something 10 year olds watched.

Nothing wrong with sexy either, especially if things like poledancing-- an act with far more sexual connotation than "naked"-- have be okayed. Added with "Chert" it is obvious the name is meant in humor, not sexual. Schist is benign in meaning too: if DasBoschitt is okay Schist should be okay, especially when it is the less obvious of the two.

Codpiece are armor or protective wear for groin areas, just as silly and nonsensical as other pieces of clothing like underwear, bras, bikinis, etc. If it was something like "Disease and crab infested codpiece" then yeah it'd be inappropriate, but the show's title sounds benign in its usage.

While I know "dead hookers" is more or less a running joke in shock humor (like dead babies), that's the one I would avoid.

Edited by Nine