MisaTange

Name Check Thread

On 11/9/2021 at 11:21 PM, Chaos Rider said:

Is schm reduplication ok? I named a Shumoga dragon Shumogas Schmumogas

Late reply, but I don't see why not. Nothing inherently inappropriate about that.

Would the name 'Murder' be okay? (Actually that's already taken so I'd put some other characters in there, but still.) I assume it'd be fine since we have dragon descriptions that specifically reference them killing, but better safe than sorry so I figured I'd ask.

On 11/18/2021 at 6:53 PM, HeatherMarie said:

Would the name 'Murder' be okay? (Actually that's already taken so I'd put some other characters in there, but still.) I assume it'd be fine since we have dragon descriptions that specifically reference them killing, but better safe than sorry so I figured I'd ask.

Bump? I've put off naming this one for awhile now because I don't want to accidentally break rules. (Related, I probably wouldn't risk it regardless but something like "I'm Killing Them All" most likely isn't allowed right?)

May I name my cat, I mean Pillow Dragon, “Fuzzy ***** Cat” or “Fuzzy ***** Kitty”? English is my second language and there was a nursery rhyme that I loved as a kid called “***** cat, ***** cat”. But I recently learnt that ***** has another meaning. I see that a mod answered that ***** followed by a cat is okay, is kitty also okay? Kitty rhymes with the other 2 words, maybe? 
Edit: Oh sorry Kitty does not rhyme. I will use ***** car then.

Edited by AvisWhite

if the thread is still active i was hoping ask if any names with references to arson are ok?

i think there's dragons that are a variation of arsonist's lullaby currently (mine included) but if it's not ok i can always change my dragon's name to something else

edit: also going to ask if i can have blood, bloody, or anything related to blood in a name? i want to use color names for a dragon lineage but i want to make sure it's ok first

Edited by cloudedgalactica

Is this ok or could it be taken out of context?

That set us apart a favored race

It's for a lyrical lineage that references some very prideful/boastful dwarves. Or should I deviate slightly from the original lyrics and change it to: That set dwarves apart a favored race?

Edited by Chaos Rider

I love puns and word games and would like to name one of my Sonatas "Satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas", as that's a perfect palindrome (I first learned it as a teen, when I first read Bill Bryson's "The Mother Tongue"), but as it references "Satan" (albeit with no deep meaning behind it, as I doubt that there's any story where he oscillates sonatas, however that may sound or look like XD), I'd like to know if that's okay or not.

I can't see a problem with it.

Necroing this since I'm contemplating making a lyrical lineage.

I remember reading that drug-related names are case by case basis and that as long as you don't reference anything illegal it should be fine, but I'm going to be safe and double check anyway before committing to the project.

"No need for drugs or booze" should be acceptable as a name, correct?