MisaTange

Name Check Thread

Is it okay to name a dragon "I might only have one match" and his partner "but I can make an explosion"?

They are supposed to be quotes fromt the song "Fight song" by Rachel Platten, but a friend of mine just pointed out that this might come sensitive to someone, considering what's happening in the world at the moment.
I myself would not think so, but I thought I'd rather check.

Thanks in advance!

--edit: Thank you for the answer, @The Dragoness

Edited by NightEagle
Saying thank you

11 minutes ago, NightEagle said:

Is it okay to name a dragon "I might only have one match" and his partner "but I can make an explosion"?

They are supposed to be quotes fromt the song "Fight song" by Rachel Platten, but a friend of mine just pointed out that this might come sensitive to someone, considering what's happening in the world at the moment.
I myself would not think so, but I thought I'd rather check.

Thanks in advance!

Seems fine to me. I didn't connect the names to real world terrorist events until you pointed it out, and I think it's still grasping at straws a bit to say there's a link between the two :)

4 minutes ago, computerfan0 said:

Is the name "Eater of Dragons" appropriate? I would have thought so, but I just want to check.

Yes, I believe so :)

OK. Are the names "Dragon of Cthulhu", "Everest" and "Oceanic Cultist Dragon" appropriate? I would again think so.

1 hour ago, computerfan0 said:

OK. Are the names "Dragon of Cthulhu", "Everest" and "Oceanic Cultist Dragon" appropriate? I would again think so.

I don't see anything wrong with those :)

2 hours ago, obelisk_light said:

Is "Cold as Hel" an okay name?

Yep, that's fine. :)

Is this dragon's name okay?

~removed to protect player~

Edited by Kaini

On 7/15/2018 at 11:43 AM, StarSea said:

Is this dragon's name okay?

~removed~

I think so, but you might want a second opinion. I'm not sure where the line is drawn on cussing.

On 7/16/2018 at 3:59 AM, Confused Cat said:

Is "Die Hard XXX" okay?

Seems fine to me!

Edited by Kaini

If you come across a name you think may be inappropriate but doesn't belong to you, please PM a mod.

4 hours ago, Kaini said:

If you come across a name you think may be inappropriate but doesn't belong to you, please PM a mod.

Can this be put on the front page? Because it's not, and if I didn't check back here, I wouldn't have seen this since I wasn't PMd at all, and I'd rather not get a warning for doing something over again that I wasn't directly made aware I shouldn't do.

Are the names "Questionable Parents" and "Corrupt Parents" okay? (They're for two dragons whose parents have family unfriendly codes.)

1 hour ago, obelisk_light said:

Are the names "Questionable Parents" and "Corrupt Parents" okay? (They're for two dragons whose parents have family unfriendly codes.)

As long as the names themselves aren't family unfriendly, you're fine. :) When it comes to inappropriate codes, I'd avoid any name that adds vulgarity to the code when read in conjunction with it (if that makes sense), but something like you've suggested is fine. 

18 minutes ago, dustpuppy said:

I just learned that publishing your forum name in the trade hub can get you banned from trading , and now I'm wondering what the rules are on dragon names? I had a hatchling whose name was "my forum name is dustpuppy" (I removed it for now to be safe). Would that name be okay or against the rules?

I hope not. I know plenty of others who do the same too. Very interested in the answer to this as well.

18 minutes ago, dustpuppy said:

I just learned that publishing your forum name in the trade hub can get you banned from trading , and now I'm wondering what the rules are on dragon names? I had a hatchling whose name was "my forum name is dustpuppy" (I removed it for now to be safe). Would that name be okay or against the rules?

This is actually... a very good question. I assume this is fine (has been for a long time as far as I know?), considering the trade hub is an entirely separate can of worms. But I don't know for sure. @TJ09 ?

15 hours ago, dustpuppy said:

14 hours ago, Wiz said:

I hope not. I know plenty of others who do the same too. Very interested in the answer to this as well.

14 hours ago, Kaini said:

This is actually... a very good question. I assume this is fine (has been for a long time as far as I know?), considering the trade hub is an entirely separate can of worms. But I don't know for sure. @TJ09 ?

14 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

That's fine to me too.

There is nothing wrong with such names, and people have been doing it for years.

8 hours ago, TJ09 said:

There is nothing wrong with such names, and people have been doing it for years.

That's a relief! Thank you for the clarification. :)

Is the name "PM for IOUs" (or some variation of that) alright?

14 hours ago, Wiz said:

Can I have this?

I think so, because that's not necessarily an inappropriate body part. 

Is it ok to use ingame lore stuff? Something like "_____ of Valkemare". It seems harmless, but some other online games have been very particular about using ingame names, locations, and whatnot. Just want to be sure before naming my planned AoC stair.

Edited by 13310
typo