MisaTange

Name Check Thread

So I had to look them up on your scroll because you said that. Yes, I do now feel much better about Rosetta Stoned, 0xYC0done (code 0xYC0), Sativex, Strawberry Cough, Black-Ember Hashish, the two or three with a reference to OG Kush due to having OG in the code... Et cetera. :P

However... Now that I'm thinking about it, there are some names I've used in the past that might not be kosher. Should I change these?

oF0Xk My Fox - This is a code name... I was thinking of it like, O Fox, My Fox! Like, O Captain, My Captain! But I worry that it could be misinterpreted as 'oh (f bomb dodge), my fox!'

Sore and Weeping Privates - The parent's codes are ppSOR and FOrQQ. I found this hilarious at the time, but now I'm worrying that it's too much. Could change to just Sore and Weeping? Or can we use the names of, er, "social diseases"?

Balls To Picasso - Album title. In British English, this is a pretty minor expletive, equivalent to saying 'to heck with Picasso'.  I'm not sure where the line falls on that kind of thing though so I decided to check it.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot - Does this count as a censor dodge?

Love Uses Protection - Guardian out of Sweetling. Thought it was funny/cute when I came up with it. Now worried it goes over the line.

Nude Casanova - Too sexy-hinty?

Lantern Jack's Spicy Dreams - It's a Pumpkin and I was implying pumpkin spice, but could be misinterpreted.

High Speed Love, Hot Lava Love - Radiant Angels. It's just the Valentine's love theme, but, again, misinterpretation...

9 minutes ago, Lurhstaap said:

So I had to look them up on your scroll because you said that. Yes, I do now feel much better about Rosetta Stoned, 0xYC0done (code 0xYC0), Sativex, Strawberry Cough, Black-Ember Hashish, the two or three with a reference to OG Kush due to having OG in the code... Et cetera. :P

However... Now that I'm thinking about it, there are some names I've used in the past that might not be kosher. Should I change these?

oF0Xk My Fox - This is a code name... I was thinking of it like, O Fox, My Fox! Like, O Captain, My Captain! But I worry that it could be misinterpreted as 'oh (f bomb dodge), my fox!'

Sore and Weeping Privates - The parent's codes are ppSOR and FOrQQ. I found this hilarious at the time, but now I'm worrying that it's too much. Could change to just Sore and Weeping? Or can we use the names of, er, "social diseases"?

Balls To Picasso - Album title. In British English, this is a pretty minor expletive, equivalent to saying 'to heck with Picasso'.  I'm not sure where the line falls on that kind of thing though so I decided to check it.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot - Does this count as a censor dodge?

Love Uses Protection - Guardian out of Sweetling. Thought it was funny/cute when I came up with it. Now worried it goes over the line.

Nude Casanova - Too sexy-hinty?

Lantern Jack's Spicy Dreams - It's a Pumpkin and I was implying pumpkin spice, but could be misinterpreted.

High Speed Love, Hot Lava Love - Radiant Angels. It's just the Valentine's love theme, but, again, misinterpretation...

I think all of those are fine. The only ones that could be considered slightly iffy are Love Uses Protection and Nude Casanova. Those two seem to be the most risque of the bunch, but I doubt anyone would be offended by such silly names. I wouldn't change them if I were you :)

Yay! Good to know they read silly to other people too. I have fun with naming lol Just wanted to be sure!

Thanks for the previous answers. ^_^

Thoughts on "I've kissed your mother twice"?

5 minutes ago, Lurhstaap said:

If I can get away with damaged privates, kissing should be cool. :P

Thanks just want to make extra sure. :lol:

Sore and Weeping Privates is the only name I'm on the fence on. I'll give it some thought. The rest of these names are amazing! I admire everyone's creativity.

2 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

So naming this one 68Lap Dance after her code should be okay, right?

@purpledragonclaw I'm okay with this? I have a chicken named Poledancer. 

I also think Weeping and Sore Privates is questionable and I'd maybe steer clear of that. :) Otherwise, everything else is fine. Basically anything that suggests doing inappropriate acts, referring to them, or referring to partaking in anything illegal is off limits. Naming AFTER drugs is fine, implying the illegal usage of drugs isn't. ETA: Something like "Shooting Up After School Lol" or  "Abusing Prescription Pillz" basically stuff that could maybe be really hard for someone to hear that struggled with these types of things before. Just use your discretion, really. And if you have a question, posting here is fine.

Edited by Earth Gurl

Poledancer is fine, it's on its way to being recognized as an Olympic sport. 

68Lap Dance is fine with me. Thank you, Earth Gurl, for shoving me over the edge. @Lurhstaap I would change the name on Sore and Weeping Privates. Just the last word is objectionable.

Edited by purpledragonclaw

Okay, will do!

Edit: Wait, so what about stuff like

acGiD Trip, p0TY4 All (code names), or Rosetta Stoned? Are those not okay then? 
Edited by Lurhstaap

1 hour ago, Lurhstaap said:

Okay, will do!

Edit: Wait, so what about stuff like

acGiD Trip, p0TY4 All (code names), or Rosetta Stoned? Are those not okay then? 

All acceptable.

I suppose the name "My Flamingo is high" for him would not be acceptable, correct? It was my first idea when I saw the parents' names, but after reading the recent comments regarding drug references, I think it was a good decision to choose a different name.

What about "Sexy Fun" and "Funny Sex"? They were approved in this thread a long time ago, but I'd rather ask again than risk getting into trouble in case opinions have changed.

1 hour ago, Confused Cat said:

I suppose the name "My Flamingo is high" for him would not be acceptable, correct? It was my first idea when I saw the parents' names, but after reading the recent comments regarding drug references, I think it was a good decision to choose a different name.

What about "Sexy Fun" and "Funny Sex"? They were approved in this thread a long time ago, but I'd rather ask again than risk getting into trouble in case opinions have changed.

The Flamingo's name is okay. Sexy Fun does not sound like a great idea though, so be careful with that one. 

Edited by The Dragoness

My Flamingo is High is fine. Funny Sex is fine, sexy fun is eh. Sexy fun time was more inappropriate tbh. @purpledragonclaw what do you think? 

I mean the site is PG-13. If you can imagine your 13 year old daughter/son reading something, and you would rather she/he not be exposed to the language or concept, it's probably not okay. 

My Flamingo is High = acceptable

Funny Sex = acceptable

Sexy Fun = not acceptable

Okay, I'm now completely lost. How is Funny Sex okay but Sexy Fun not? One is implying actual intercourse, the other just suggesting that some fun is being had that may only be appropriate for adults.

Let me be clear that I personally do not have a problem with either, but forced to pick one, I'd consider Funny Sex more offensive than Sexy Fun.

Funny Sex can be interpreted multiple ways imo. "The funny sex" "The gentler sex" etc. It could be referring to one's physical sex. Sexy Fun implies a sex act. At least that's how I read it. 

100% your call, since y'all are the mods, but I would consider a lap dance or pole dance "sexy fun", and probably wouldn't apply that term to an actual "sex act". Maybe it's a dialect thing. Idk.

See, this is why I avoid any names even remotely related to sex. XD

As I mentioned before, pole dancing is on its way to being an officially recognized olympic sport, so it's acceptable as a name. Nothing racy about it anymore, it's gone mainstream. I understand your hesitance, though. I've had to rename some of my dragons when I realized the codes were a bit too inappropriate to directly name my dragons after them. :lol: 

Can I get a similar breakdown on where exactly the line is for drug names? Just to use hypothetical examples, where on this spectrum does it go over the line? My understanding in parentheses, but if I'm wrong let me know!

Drugs (established as clearly okay, names like Alcohol or Oxycodone, simply the name of an object or thing)

Drug Use (sounds like probably okay based on Acid Trip?)

This Dragon is On Drugs (seems to be okay if vague or ambiguous based on My Flamingo is High, but what about, say, My Flamingo Smokes Weed?)

I Like Drugs (still ambiguous but probably not okay - though arguably Pot For All falls into this category? But you can also read the code as Pot WHY for All... So I guess that one kind of cancelled itself out.)

I The Scroll Owner Use Drugs IRL (clearly not okay)

Thing is, I don't have kids, and my mother was a weed smokin' sixties hippie. So my idea of what's appropriate for a 13-year-old is very likely not the same as most people's. Hence why I feel the need to double check. :P I try to err on the conservative side, but my conservative side may still be too out there, or so I worry.

Edited by Lurhstaap

My take on your questions:

1. Drugs as names are okay.

2. Describing the act of using drugs is probably going to be a no, but I think it depends on the context. Case-by-case basis.

3. My Flamingo Smokes Weed would be a no since marijuana is still illegal in several countries. High is more ambiguous since you can be high in several ways (sugar rush, anyone?). This Dragon is On Drugs would work.

4. You are correct on that last name not being okay.

My years in QA have made my perspective skewed too (if I had a nickel for each hour I spent reviewing blacklists...), so I know how you feel. ;) 

Well, well, well....😏

The previous four or five posts are quite the context I was looking for.

Bear in mind, I'm still extremely sorry for going overboard with my names.  (I still have to say, I didn't know there were that many...)

Anyway, I'd like to discuss some of my names that got me in the hole. Here's my list of what I can remember:

(Just a note of caution, I don't want to offend anyone so don't read past this line if your sensitive to this type of stuff.)

--------------------------------

-removed- (I thought it was funny?)

-removed- (I used that name as a header for my collection of risqué codes)

Nude Thanksgiving (Will ruffle even a turkey's feathers!)

Zombie Boobs (I thought it was funny at the time?) 

Witchlight of Sex (Really? I thought it was a tame one.)

Pleasuring (well, yeah, I shouldn't have used that one...)

Crotch (shouldn't that be an automatic denial in the naming box?)

I'm in the mood to satisfy (I thought it was a gray area.)

-removed-

(That one I deeply regret...)

I know there's more, but that's off the top of my head.

Again, my apologies, I was out of line with those last few.  I hope I don't get banned from the forums for this type of post.  I just wanted to warn others against stupid behavior like mine.

----------------------------------

You know, I really wish someone had compiled the names that got me in trouble, and given me the list.  I would have loved the opportunity to go and change all those names to more conservative, safe ones.  I would not have continued in that line of naming, period.  

Now, as far as drugs, I never named any of my babies after really any type of drug.  I never used that type of language because I know that that's a very personal topic.  I would err on the side of caution.  Drug use shouldn't be included in dragon names.  Funny or otherwise.  

Edited by Earth Gurl

@jerzeeshadow Did you get official information on which names caused you to lose your dragon names, or is your list just what you suspect was inacceptable?

I can see the problem with most, but not all of them, so I hope there'll be explanations on what was inacceptable and why.

Thanks everybody for the feedback on my names!

I named the Flamingo "My Flamingo is high" now, and the dragon formerly known as "Sexy Fun" is now "Just Fun". (Is that okay even in the context of the lineage?)