MisaTange

Name Check Thread

I don't think the US should take precedence. Not at ALL. Sorry. And I don't actually think TJ would say it should either.

But if it were to, that would leave shibari as OK. Which it isn't.

There's also things like the small matter of coon, a word I used recently, referring to the animal in my Canadian  yard, and I HORRIFIED and upset some Australian friends, in whose country it is synonymous with the n word.

It's a minefield and there's nothing wrong with extreme caution.

11 minutes ago, fuzzbucket said:

I don't think the US should take precedence. Not at ALL. Sorry. And I don't actually think TJ would say it should either.

There's also things like the small matter of coon, a word I used recently, referring to the animal in my Canadian  yard, and I HORRIFIED and upset some Australian friends, in whose country it is synonymous with the n word.

It's a minefield and there's nothing wrong with extreme caution.

Oh, Coon and Spook are that here too, but the difference between those words and the N-word is that they have more than one meaning. It's the same with Gypsy.
You can't bar the use of a word based on only one definition, I don't think, but it's up to the discretion of the ones in charge, ultimately.

As far as shibari, I'm pretty sure we aren't' supposed to name our dragons in another language at all (at least I think it used to say that, and has since been changed- even though I have done so as well). It also doesn't have a meaning here, so we're forced to fall back on what it means where it came from.

On 3/22/2011 at 10:12 PM, MisaTange said:

Naming after songs or drugs or alcohol, names in other languages, etc. are all fine as long as they don't contain censored words or inappropriate content.

@Dragon_Arbock from the first post. Non-English names are allowed, so long as it follows the rules.

2 minutes ago, Ariento said:

@Dragon_Arbock from the first post. Non-English names are allowed, so long as it follows the rules.

The first post is from 2011. I could have swore there was a time where the naming page itself said no 'non-english names or characters', or something like that.

(Not like I listened very well, my first dragon is named Hikari Amethyst- but I swore it was a thing at one point).

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

Just now, Dragon_Arbock said:

The first post is from 2011. I could have swore there was a time where the naming page itself said no 'non-english names or characters', or something like that.

I checked the naming page before I checked the OP, it doesn't say anything one way or the other. Though non-English characters (like the accented e) aren't allowed, it just won't let you put it in the name period.

Just now, Ariento said:

I checked the naming page before I checked the OP, it doesn't say anything one way or the other. Though non-English characters (like the accented e) aren't allowed, it just won't let you put it in the name period.

'Was a time'- as in, it said it before, but has since been changed. I doubt I could find an archive of the original page, though.

2 hours ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

As far as shibari, I'm pretty sure we aren't' supposed to name our dragons in another language at all (at least I think it used to say that, and has since been changed- even though I have done so as well). It also doesn't have a meaning here, so we're forced to fall back on what it means where it came from.

This is true for descriptions, but as far as I can remember was not a requirement for names. As long as your name translated to an acceptable English word, foreign languages can be used.

2 hours ago, Ariento said:

I certainly hope that's OK - MANY of mine are named in other languages - and I can think of very many of other peopel's who have named them that way, too. Not to mention all the Saurian ones. Thuwed, anyone ? :lol:

Saurian is more like a cipher- it's just swapping letters with other letters, not a true language.

But I see, maybe it was only descriptions, but I've never described something so not sure where I'd get the idea from.

Maybe that we are not allowed to POST here in another language ?

I believe it was meaning 'no foreign characters' when it used to say that you could not name dragons with non-English names. In a sense, you have to use the English alphabet but the names do not have to be in direct English, as it is. 

Edited by Dorchet

urm okay... I just give it a shot here, because after reading through some of this thread I got very confused about what is considered as bad.

I have some names around the theme "sin" and "devil" for Halloween (Black Marrows) and black dragons.

Are names like

"devil's gift"

"Knowing the devil"

"hidden sin"

"sin's mate"

as such okay or should I rename all of them?

There are a few more than the examples, but all in that way.

14 hours ago, shirubaaneko said:

urm okay... I just give it a shot here, because after reading through some of this thread I got very confused about what is considered as bad.

I have some names around the theme "sin" and "devil" for Halloween (Black Marrows) and black dragons.

Are names like

"devil's gift"

"Knowing the devil"

"hidden sin"

"sin's mate"

Those are fine in my opinion. 

I've been planing to do Rhapsody of Fire's Holy Thunderforce as a lineage but I'm not sure about parts of the first verse:

Face me evil *******, smell the hate of angels

Glory, pride and bloodshed

Cowards and beholders, rapers of my wisdom

Mix of dust and bones

Go back to your abyss, Algalord will not fall
But your heads will soon roll

Test the blade of heroes, fury of the thunder
Hit my golden shield

Rapers of my wisdom would not be OK IMNVHO. And I assume you have already realised that the evil ***** isn't OK.

The rest of it looks fine.

I thought as much

My planned changes are:

Face me evil buzzard? have to put something there

Reapers of my wisdom

Sounds good. Sounds nicer than the original actually :lol:

I just looked though (I didn't know the lyrics at all) - I'm not sure ******* is ruled out.... It CAN be used just to mean a child born out of wedlock, after all. I have history books that refer to "The ******* son of king so-and-son". I think we need Higher Authority to chip in.

ETA Forget that - I see I have been kipzed, so it must be !

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Would “A Good Christian Mint” fly? Obv for a Mint dragon, one of mine has vulgar-word-coded parents and I wanted to riff off that.

4 hours ago, Leilani said:

Would “A Good Christian Mint” fly? Obv for a Mint dragon, one of mine has vulgar-word-coded parents and I wanted to riff off that.

I don't see anything inappropriate or offensive with that name.

I just found a dragon with the code "AsKOj". I might leave it unnamed, but just in case - would naming it "AsKOj about the gloves" (or similar) be okay?

On 1/11/2018 at 1:54 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

I'm on TJ's staff and from conversations I've had, I would assume that this game has a base in the U.S. But I mean you're entitled to think the way you want about names. If something makes you uncomfortable, contact the mods, and maybe tell the user how you feel. But if it's not violating any of our rules, we can't do anything.

On 1/11/2018 at 1:54 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

That content is inappropriate in any language. Especially for a PG-13 website.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:04 PM, shirubaaneko said:

Are names like

"devil's gift"

"Knowing the devil"

"hidden sin"

"sin's mate"

All of these are fine. We allow religious names as long as it isn't bashing a religion. :) 

On 1/14/2018 at 5:47 AM, Chaos Rider said:

Face me evil *******, smell the hate of angels

Glory, pride and bloodshed

Cowards and beholders, rapers of my wisdom

Mix of dust and bones

Go back to your abyss, Algalord will not fall
But your heads will soon roll

Test the blade of heroes, fury of the thunder
Hit my golden shield

I would avoid rapers of my wisdom. Reapers sounds good. Also, there is a dragon with that censored word as a name. I think we ruled that if you're meaning it as an illegitimate child, it's okay. Not as an insult though. I'd need a mod to weigh in, but I think that was the consensus. :) 

4 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

I just found a dragon with the code "AsKOj". I might leave it unnamed, but just in case - would naming it "AsKOj about the gloves" (or similar) be okay?

That's fine. If a another mod disagrees, though, then maybe not. I legit JUST watched the Family Guy episode where he golfs with him.

Last year, I named one of my CB Shadow Walkers, "We Get It You Vape" referencing to a meme based on posts like this and to the Shadow Walker's vaporous appearance.

Yet when I bred one of it's eggs to the AP, it's name came back seeming to call it censor evasion so I was just wondering if a name like this would actually be okay or not. Okay, thank you. :) 

Edited by lovecats99

Huh, that's odd. Maybe there's no reference to the parents and it's just a coincidental choice in name? There's certainly nothing about vaping that would require censoring.

The only stretch I can think of, and it's quite the long stretch, is the person has no idea what vaping is and for some reason thinks it's a substitute for "rape". Which still doesn't make sense. I wouldn't worry about it, truthfully =)

I'm guessing based on the original meme's meaning, the user who picked it up thought you were doing censor evasion by substituting vaping for weed. 

Your name is fine to me.