Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Please stop trying to referee a match that doesn't exist. No one here is playing for a side; we are all shooting for the same goal, to make this forum a better place.

If there is a segregation of posts, regardless if it is the praise or the crit that is chosen, the message is that this type of post is no longer appropriate for this kind of thread. This opinion goes here and that opinion goes here.

There is no angelic side or demonized side-- the segregation itself hurts every opinion in the long run. It's saying that they cannot be together in the same topic, that people with differing opinions should not be in a situation where they may disagree with one another. I know that is not the intent of the suggestion to split topics, I can completely see that, but I can't help but feel that doing so would result in more fragmenting of the DC forums.

I was more addressing thiefofhearts' posts, plus a few more I noticed.

Note: the following use of the word 'you' is completely general.

Anyway. Here's my bottom line, I guess. The crit hurt the artists. Whether it intended to or not, it hurt the artists. If your freedom of speech is more important than another's potential hurt, then go ahead and post your crit. But you have to live with the fact that your crit is going to have consequences, whether you intend them or not.

I personally wish that the artists could go into the news threads and not have to suffer your freedom of speech. That's why I think it should be relocated- not to shove people into a corner, not to ignore negative opinions, but to prevent the artists from getting hurt. The artists may go to that thread. But they need that choice, rather than being forced to sift through it in order to read the news.

Call it coddling if you like, but at least that doesn't hurt anyone.

Edited by stogucheme

Okay, so have three separate threads.

1. The main News thread, which is posted and then locked immediately.

2. A thread elsewhere, called something like, "The New Christmas Sprite: The Good" in which people can praise it and say things they like about it, or even post vague things like "I love it" without saying why.

3. A third thread, called something like, "The New Christmas Sprite: The Bad" in which people can post any negative thoughts they have about the sprite, ranging from vague, unhelpful comments like "I hate it" to useful comments like "The red and white bands on the belly/tail and the bands of color on the wings make the sprite look too busy, and also the forearms are a tad too thick".

Then everyone can say whatever they want and the spriter can selectively choose what they have to see and what they don't have to see.

The crit hurt the artists. Whether it intended to or not, it hurt the artists. If your freedom of speech is more important than another's potential hurt, then go ahead and post your crit.

Two problems with that:

1) At least one other artist posted in this thread that they LIKE crit on their work right after it is released, even on their finished sprites. Are the feelings of the artists with that opinion less important than the feelings of artists who don't like being critiqued?

2) Though the artist in this case, Earthgirl, has indeed said that she would have preferred her finished sprite not to be critiqued right after its release, she also clearly stated that being critiqued in the news topic WAS NOT what upset her. She said "In fact, I wasn't bothered by people who commented on my sprite. Some points were valid and some weren't... They were personal opinions and everyone has the right to have one, right?" and "What really bugged me was something that happened outside the forums and the site in general. It's pretty much some fellow spriters's demeanor and attitude and view on Holiday releases in general."

So moving the discussion out of the news topic WOULD NOT have prevented the artist from feeling hurt in this case. Neither would banning negative statements in the news topic.

I feel the need to point out that the "drama" created by this release has been mainly started by the people who are pretty much "attacking" those who have given constructive criticism.

Whether an artist wants or uses that concrit is up to them, but if someone like Wookie or I takes the time to type out what we see wrong politely and mention how it could be fixed I think it's quite rude for people to tell us to "shut up" because we "can't do better", because to be honest we can do better. I find it rude that I'm called a hater for disliking attributes of the sprite.

If the artist cannot handle critiques upon the initial release, then perhaps holidays releases are not for them. Or any release, because people will critique sprites for all releases.

It should be expected that those who can critique will do so. Even those who can't will try to. Not everyone will be able to explain what's wrong perfectly. I might not know anatomy the best, but even I can tell when a leg "looks a little off", where someone with the proper skills could tell me "you need to move the patella down two pixels" or that I need to rotate the hips ten degrees.

I also feel the need to state that when an artist gets critiques from a limited number of people it's possible for them to miss something. I don't notice things other people do. Some might not even have critiqued on it because they don't know better. So to say "I've gotten critiques from many people during the process" still isn't a reason to silence or ignore all critique.

As an artist, I get critiques. I might not like it all the time, and sometimes I don't want to make the change because I'm happy with the piece as it is, but I'll still acknowledge the critique and use it in later works.

Critiques are part of being an artist. They must be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyway. Here's my bottom line, I guess. The crit hurt the artists. Whether it intended to or not, it hurt the artists. If your freedom of speech is more important than another's potential hurt, then go ahead and post your crit. But you have to live with the fact that your crit is going to have consequences, whether you intend them or not.

Um lolno. Politely-delivered crit does NOT hurt artists unless they are one of those types who can't handle criticism. And honestly, if an artist can't handle a bit of polite, non-rude, honest crit on their work and can't handle a few people politely stating that they dislike their work (mixed in with a bunch of praise from others, I might add) when they put it up IN PUBLIC for ALL to see, then that's the artist's problem, not ours.

Also, as tjekan said above, EG was NOT hurt by our comments. Her upset was unrelated to our comments. Separating the negative comments from positive ones wouldn't have done a thing to help that.

Okay, so have three separate threads.

1. The main News thread, which is posted and then locked immediately.

2. A thread elsewhere, called something like, "The New Christmas Sprite: The Good" in which people can praise it and say things they like about it, or even post vague things like "I love it" without saying why.

3. A third thread, called something like, "The New Christmas Sprite: The Bad" in which people can post any negative thoughts they have about the sprite, ranging from vague, unhelpful comments like "I hate it" to useful comments like "The red and white bands on the belly/tail and the bands of color on the wings make the sprite look too busy, and also the forearms are a tad too thick".

Then everyone can say whatever they want and the spriter can selectively choose what they have to see and what they don't have to see.

That wouldn't help at all, people would just post in the wrong topic purposely to get attention. The haters would go into the "Good" thread to post hateful things about the [insert new item here] and cause chaos.

Now I've been staying out of this whole "argument" for lack of a better word, but I'd say its high time I stepped in.

There is no reason why we should have to even have this whole discussion, other than the fact that people hide behind their computers. As someone else said, you wouldn't go up to an artist and bash their work because you just don't do that. On here though, there is no danger, and therefore, people think they can just run amuck. If we could all just cut with the rudeness and everything, we could come to a conclusion instead of fighting a useless battle. I'm sure if we all just act like we were brought up to, ConCrits would be helpful but not harmful. Then, we wouldn't need to segregate good vs. bad comments and cause all sorts of problems.

I'm very disappointed in all of you DragonCavers. Get a grip and behave like people instead of wild animals fighting over the last piece of meat.

I've seen several users trying to moderate some debate here. Please use the report button and leave the modding to the mods. Thanks.

Also, as tjekan said above, EG was NOT hurt by our comments. Her upset was unrelated to our comments. Separating the negative comments from positive ones wouldn't have done a thing to help that.

Oh, well that's kind of good to hear then. I guess I got the wrong impression because something along the lines of "Thank you very much for killing my first release enjoyment," was mentioned =S And then the topic got locked for a bit, so everyone looking to the last page/post was greeted by the message.

That wouldn't help at all, people would just post in the wrong topic purposely to get attention. The haters would go into the "Good" thread to post hateful things about the [insert new item here] and cause chaos.

Haters? I dunno about you, but I haven't met anyone on the forums who could be classified as a hater. Sure you're not getting a different forum mixed up here?

that's what the report button is for. of course if it's not "bad enough" (aka breaking the rules) to be reported to a mod, i hardly think it's bad enough for everyone to gang up on a member or group of members and call them names (which i believe *is* breaking the rules).

because right now, here is the situation that keeps popping up:

person a: the colors look odd to me

person b: omg you are so horrible. stop saying you hate the sprite, the artist worked really hard and you are just a drama starter. if you think it's ugly then don't play anymore. all you want to do is complain and whine and cause drama.

it's not even about interpretation at that point; something is being said and another person completely twists it around. we can sit here and talk about the intent of of person a's post, but in reality, it's all moot because they didn't break any rules; in contrast, person b had a much more aggressive post and would be, imo, the person stirring the pot.

Exactly!

And all too often, in the past, some of the posters following have somehow accepted and repeated - sometimes embellished even further - person b's interpretation rather than what was actually said, which also would make the poor spriter(s) feel horrible because suddenly, out of the blue, posters are saying that people hate her/his/their sprite - which may never have been said at all anywhere that anyone can find on the forums, or said perhaps by one person/a few people who may have become defensive in an offensive manner after having felt jumped on by numerous others after making a negative comment, (or one perceived as being negative,) about a sprite which may even simply have been stated to not be one of their favorites.

It's very odd that someone presumably defending a spriter they apparently somehow perceive as being attacked would so phrase this defence as to crush that spriter's feelings and make them feel that their sprite had been widely rejected when it hadn't been at all.

We certainly never want this type of occurrence to get out of hand again, and it would be enormously helpful if such inflammatory misinterpretations were routinely and publicly corrected by Mods as a misstatement, rather than having them supported by perhaps even having the wrong parties cited or even warned for simply stating a personal preference without having intended to be rude or to hurt anyones feelings.

C-can't we all just be friends? ;~;

;~;

It doesn't stop people walking to their computers right after watching it and telling the world how crap it was and having their article published in well known newspapers worldwide. And being paid for it.

But that isn't within the context of the ACTUAL EXHIBITION, where the artist may be walking around nervously among viewers.

And some of the comments were vile. I only dropped by briefly to check TJ's post for new sprites, but kept hitting the last page and feeling a bit sick. I thing there is a place for concrit - but if that kind of rubbish is allowed in the name of free comment, then I would rather see NO crit of ANY kind on a released sprite, rather than what was effectively flaming. (and maybe even no dragon suggestion crit either, bearing in mind Thuban's experience and the loss of whatever dragon that would have brought us...)

Lord - this place is about collecting and breeding, not Art 501.....

C-can't we all just be friends? ;~;

THIS !

Lol, MOAR re-editing:

thiefofhearts, that was actually a general statement,  smile.gif  roughly saying, among other things,

1st: that people would likely be expressing their opinions regarding the sprite, without aiming anything *at* the spriter

2nd: that even if previous posts reiterated that the spriter could be reading and hurt by a critical comment, or whatever else might be pertinent, that people may simply not notice these and

3rd: that if people feel that they're being slapped down, they sometimes tend to react defensively, potentially in an offensive fashion, which may cause them to say things out of anger/hurt that they would not otherwise have said.

So it's a tricky situation to manage.

But that's how drama starts, not by somebody saying that they're disappointed in a sprite, didn't like it as much as they'd hoped, or could see what they perceived as flaws in the sprite.

It starts by people reacting without thought or attention to what's reasonable or to what actually occurred, and becoming deliberately abusive or, as you so aptly pointed out, in situations when people do things such as attribute loaded, highly negative terms like 'hate' to people who have never said any such thing at all.

My apologies - I'm progressively more overtired, and have had trouble framing clear statements for some time; hope the above makes more sense, but I wouldn't like to bet on it.  laugh.gif

i know, i was direct quoting you because i knew you wouldn't get upset and take it the wrong way. smile.gif

I feel the need to point out that the "drama" created by this release has been mainly started by the people who are pretty much "attacking" those who have given constructive criticism.

THIS SO MUCH.

See, here is what I've been trying to say the whole time -

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE SPRITE, IT'S ABOUT HOW OTHER PEOPLE REACT TO SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T AGREE WITH THEM.

Let's just for one minute pretend we get this issue sorted out with sprite criticism. It can even be however you like - separate thread, no separate thread, no one allowed to criticize, everyone allowed - whatever. Your choice.

Well what's going to happen when it's the next "drama"? What if, for instance, there was an option to remove lineages, or duplicate names were allowed, or people were allowed to keep multiple eggs from multi clutch holiday eggs or something else that would equally upset a large group of people (And yes I know they would never happen; they are examples only to show a point I am trying to make)?

You're back to square one with people bludgeon each other with whiner/drama starter/troll/etc.

Fixing the "critique" problem does not fix the actual problem at hand - it's just going to pop up else where. This is what the "complainers" are trying to address. I think it would be better to try to sort out the general problem more than it would to try to fix something specific that won't be able to carry over to other parts of the forum.

Like I said before, we can discuss the merit of someone's post, we can talk about their intent and the appropriateness of the timing or the place but everyone will give different opinions - and they are just that, opinions. Until someone breaks a rule they should all be allowed, not just the ones that an individual may like, despite what a large portion of the forum members think.

Edit- now that i think about, can we have this discussion seperated from the rest of the "site feedback"? I'd actually like to make a request/feedback unrelated to all this but i think it will get buried and never read D:

Edited by thiefofhearts

Start a thread ?

But - cursing about linages and naming and so on hasn't the same potential to hurt individuals....

Start a thread ?

But - cursing about linages and naming and so on hasn't the same potential to hurt individuals....

i have multiple requests/suggestions and don't want it to look as though i spammed tongue.gif

and the second point is true, but what i am trying to get at is we need to solve the situation from a more broad view, so we don't have to do this merry go round of posting a second, or third, or fourth time.

yes the issue of how to handle the holiday sprite needs to be resolves but on a bigger level, so does the way forum members treat each other. politeness goes two ways (anyone read miss manners? just because you perceive someone as "rude" doesn't mean you pay them in kind), and it isn't a synonym for conformity.

anyway, off to work. wink.gif

I have read through most this thread and of course the new release thread (though must admit not all as it is a lot of writing and understanding different perspectives biggrin.gif)

It is so difficult because:

1. Everyone has different expectations of any new release and what standard meets their requirements

2. Everyone has different levels of understanding, backgrounds and also tastes

3. It is a very varied community and there will always be a strong divide and with freedom of speech (which is not a bad thing at all) it is sometimes a little hard to forget you are talking to real people on the otherside of the screen.

I feel concerns arise when for some they can act completely without concern (and sometimes respect) for others because they are merely on the internet. I try to be on here as I am in real life - this does not mean they way I feel or act on here is right or wrong though I really try to make a conscious effort to be respectful of others and be apart of the community.

I hope my comments were not taken in disorder (if they were I will happily delete as necessary).

I really hope a solution arises that can satisfy everyone - players and spriters and all.

Best of luck to everyone and their playing and have a happy new year.

Haters? I dunno about you, but I haven't met anyone on the forums who could be classified as a hater. Sure you're not getting a different forum mixed up here?

I'm afraid there are haters. If any of you were around for La Femme, you may recall people posting on the forums that the new sprites were hideous/awful/whathaveyou. I recall one girl posting, lamenting that it would take months to kill all of her female stripes, because they were once her favorite sprite but were now garbage and completely ruined. I have received nasty comments over the multiple stripe colours and the Femme changes, both directly to me and offhandedly in threads or the IRC. (Which is why I don't go to the IRC anymore.) But I'm a crusty old hag of an internet user, and I've got a thick skin. The mean comments sting, but there are generally many more kind comments than cruel ones.

Honestly, I think the feedback right now is looking at a bit of human condition... you can't really ask artists who put their heart into something to just grow a thicker skin when people are mean to them. Similarly, you can't tell people to not have opinions/not care about events they participate in. Perhaps what we're looking to do in this thread could best be managed through redefining our courtesy rules? I haven't reviewed the rules recently, however I imagine providing more structure than the typical "Be polite" may help. We have (had?) a "How to ConCrit" thread... is it linked from the courtesy rules? Perhaps it should be. (Herp, I'm just heading out the door or I would check.)

There are at least two guides to constructive criticism pinned here, though the one labeled as such is quite long and the other is simply put at the end of a more general guide to spriting for DC at the top of the Requests forum. Both of them are also aimed more at handling the request and spriting side of things, but the ideas still apply.

Komodo Gallant wrote, or helped write, a rather long but good guide to concrit that's pinned right ^up there at the top of this forum: A guide to critique and appreciation., The problem with collaberative art.

And this one:

The specifics about constructive criticism: (Thanks to Fiona BlueFire)

1. Be objective. When you are offering crit on a sprite, there is no room for your own likes and dislikes. You are only offering opinions on the artistic integrity of the piece. If you don't have the artistic training or understanding of anatomy to evaluate the artwork objectively, it is better not to say anything, as your comments won't be helpful to the artist.

2. Be specific. "I don't know, something seems off." gives the artist no help either. An example of good crit would be, "I think the far shoulder is a little too high." or "You have stair steps happening there on the tail." If you think something's off, but aren't able to specifically say what that something is, be sure one of the other artists of the site will see it.

3. Be positive. Only telling the artist what is wrong, without mentioning anything he/she has done well doesn't help the artist in the long run. If all you do is point out where we've failed, we don't know where we've succeeded, and will quickly get discouraged. A good example of what I'm talking about would be something like, "The colors you've chosen here really work for this concept. However, I'm not sure I can tell what direction the light is coming from."

4. Be polite. Any other person's concept or idea has as much validity as yours, even if you don't agree with it. The whole idea of the Requests forum is to work together to create the best possible sprites for the site. We should be focusing only on the subject at hand, not on each other, or on personalities.

5. Be mature. Of course, this is easier said than done, but remember this isn't really about you, or about me. It's not about who is the "best" or "they don't like me so they won't ever take me seriously." This is about putting aside our self interest to produce a high quality sprite that is an asset to the game.

I like this best because it's brief. (and not just because I wrote it. tongue.gif) It's not very comprehensive though. I remember someone linking to a more detailed page put out by a professional art professor, but I couldn't find it yet. That one was better, but again, long.

I'd edit that one I did too, except... I can't edit that particular post. Especially the first point should be edited to be a little less pointed toward those with training/experience in art and/or anatomy. The point needing to be made there is, don't evaluate a sprite on what you like or don't like. That's making judgements on the artist's vision for their own art. That's not concrit, and it's not our right. Artists (anyone with any experience and/or training in art or art appreciation) learn to "see" in a slightly different way than those without that experience or training. But really that covers probably at least 90% of the user base here. And even if it didn't, a piece has to "carry" or have the intended impact, regardless of the experience of the viewer. That's something I personally forget sometimes.

If someone goes into the "good" thread and posts "bad" things, even though the good thread specifically bans negative comments and the bad thread gives people a venue in which to vent their disappointments with the sprite, then I think that's just cause for dusting off a good old-fashioned ban hammer.

Normally I'm not the sort of person who supports bannings or warnings or any discipline of any kind, but if someone goes into a thread in which all negative comments are specifically forbidden (even though there exists a place for them to make those comments), then they are being deliberately antagonistic and they don't deserve to be around here.

People who post negative comments in the main News thread deserve no retribution whatsoever because we have provided them with no other place to share their opinions, and I don't agree with censoring certain viewpoints if you aren't going to give them a proper place to say what they feel. People should be able to speak their minds somewhere, and with past releases, the News Thread has been the only good place to do so.

However, if we were to give them a proper place to say those kinds of things and they went out of their way to not use it...well, at that point they are the ones at fault and I don't think any mod would be out of line to discipline them.

So...tl,dr: It would help. Most people wouldn't post negative comments in the "good" thread, and for those that insist upon doing so, mods would be perfectly justified in deleting their posts and dishing out warnings and (preferably temporary) bannings.

Before someone misinterprets what I've said--I am not, by any means, suggesting that it is okay to forbid people from making negative comments about sprites. What I am suggesting is that I think it's okay to tell people to make these kinds of comments in a specific place, and not in a certain other place.

As just a normal user who doesn't comment on sprites, and who tries to avoid drama...

I'm just here to collect dragons, and I love the variety of different artistic styles in which they are presented. If the anatomy is off, I don't really care. I don't have any expectations for a new dragon other than it be pixel art rather than a softly blended png (like other egg sites create). I understand that every artist interprets things differently, and we can't all be held to the same ideals or there would be no variety.

Cubisim doesn't conform to any sort of anatomy standards, yet Picasso's art is still worth millions.

Personally, I read the news topics to share in the joy of a new release. I'm there to read about how excited everyone is about the release, what they're planning on naming them, what they're planning to breed them with. I love to follow all the speculation about the new release (especially if the new release happens to be a breed-only or an alt), and I like being there when nicknames are born.

In my opinion, it is not the time or the place for sprite critique. Even if a critique is well written, for me at least it deflates my joy a bit to see someone taking the perceived perfection of the art and picking it apart. It's like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I would personally like to see the critique happen in another part of the forum... perhaps under suggestions.

I also believe that the News Thread is not the proper place for sprite critique. It is for the announcement of a joyous and happy occasion. Like during a wedding reception, you do not tell the groom that his bride is just ugh. tongue.gif

However, I also feel that things might have been spin out of control a little. I most certainly did not see any extremely rude and overtly insensitive comments that were way out of line. Childish remarks, yes. People expressing their disappointment that the sprite wasn't up to their expectations, yeap. But generally speaking, and I agree with the others, they were more praise and congratulatory acknowledgments.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

Um lolno. Politely-delivered crit does NOT hurt artists unless they are one of those types who can't handle criticism. And honestly, if an artist can't handle a bit of polite, non-rude, honest crit on their work and can't handle a few people politely stating that they dislike their work (mixed in with a bunch of praise from others, I might add) when they put it up IN PUBLIC for ALL to see, then that's the artist's problem, not ours.

Read the last two posts on this page: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...=108234&st=1240

Specifically, Fiona Bluefire's quote.

I made a post a little while back about not demonizing/anglicizing one side. (Sides being 'the people who gave crit' and 'the people reacted to it.') I specifically pointed out that both did bad things and good things. Neither is right or wrong, and we should stop forcing this dichotomy.

As for your comment, 'if you can't take the crit, don't make your art public,' that's called bullying. Plain and simple. It also limits freedom of speech/expression.

Here's an example for you. I could, if I wanted to, decide to critique every single aspect of every single thing you posted. Freedom of speech/typing, right? I could give you very polite and valid advice as to how you misspelled this word, or how your grammar was off, etc. I mean, if you didn't want me to do that, you wouldn't have posted online, in a public forum, right?

But...if I did that, and I told you that either you take the crit or leave, isn't that...limiting free typing as well?

"Explain what you don't like about the piece or shut up."

"Take the crit, toughen up or shut up/don't post your art."

Light bulb.

Edited by stogucheme

Read the last two posts on this page: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...=108234&st=1240

Specifically, Fiona Bluefire's quote.

I made a post a little while back about not demonizing/anglicizing one side. (Sides being 'the people who gave crit' and 'the people reacted to it.') I specifically pointed out that both did bad things and good things. Neither is right or wrong, and we should stop forcing this dichotomy.

As for your comment, 'if you can't take the crit, don't make your art public,' that's called bullying. Plain and simple. It also limits freedom of speech/expression.

Here's an example for you. I could, if I wanted to, decide to critique every single aspect of every single thing you posted. Freedom of speech/typing, right? I could give you very polite and valid advice as to how you misspelled this word, or how your grammar was off, etc. I mean, if you didn't want me to do that, you wouldn't have posted online, in a public forum, right?

But...if I did that, and I told you that either you take the crit or leave, isn't that...limiting free typing as well?

"Explain what you don't like about the piece or shut up."

"Take the crit, toughen up or shut up/don't post your art."

Light bulb.

UMM Stog - we don't all have pages set to the same length.... I can't tell which posts you mean....

OK - got you biggrin.gif

And I agree - there were real nasties on both sides. I would even say on ALL sides, as a lot had nothing to do with anything but blasting someone else with no reference to anything about sprites or concrit in general - just "YOU ARE WRONG" etc.

Waste of forum time.

And in a completely unrelated, probably soon-to-be-buried, post, I clicked the 'report' button to report a duplicate thread created by someone else and was greeted with the following message:

Please note: The moderator will be made aware of the link to the post and the topic title.

This form is to be used ONLY for reporting objectional content, etc and is not to be used as a method of communicating with moderators for other reasons.

Can the second paragraph be changed so that people aren't afraid to use the report button for other things, please? (Or is that all that's supposed to be for? Because mods have told me otherwise...) Edited by stogucheme