TJ09

2010-11-11 - Feature Preview

Am I missing something here?

Tell me that I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the change in S1 freezing?

Right now when you "freeze" a hatchling at the S1 stage, there is always the potential for it to move into the S2 stage if it had "just enough" views to trigger the gender...some people have had their S1's gender months after having been frozen as a S1. So.. the new feature here would make it so that if you freeze a S1 it will be permanent.. no accidental moving into S2.

Seems to be that stuff that is going to be the least "glitchy" would be released first and then the potentially glitchier features second, and the glitchiest last.

So the way I see it is.. 3 potential groupings...

Group 1

--Renaming

--Fertility

--Refusals

--Rare x Rare Breeding

Group 2

--S1 Freezing

--Vamps

--Egg Limits

Group 3

--Pages

--Teleport

--Biomes

I was assuming no glitches. Because I really want biomes first, and that one is almost certainly going to be released near the end, because it's such a big change.

I feel like extra egg slots and biomes will be released concurrently, or biomes before egg slots. As it is, if everyone all of a sudden had extra slots, the cave would massively lag as people fought for the CBs available. If there are a bunch of biomes to hunt in, seems like that would be minimized.

Which kinda makes me sad, as I want more egg slots now! /is impatient

The order in which I hope these updates happen:

1 .egg/ hatchie limits

2. locations

3. teleport/fertility

4. rare X rare breeding

5. refusals

6. renaming

7. vampire lineages

I'm not including S1 frozen hatchies and scroll pages, because I really don't have an opinion when it comes to those two things.

Now, back to quietly watching.

*places a plate of various sweets and treats for the testers*

happy.gif

1) Changed limits!

2) s1 freezing

3) renaming

4) Fertility

The others I don't care as much about and they can come in any order they wish. lol

1) Changed Limits

2) Teleport (I want my damn Thunder and Magma already.)

3) Biomes

4) Rare x Rare

5) Fertility

6) Renaming

7) Refusals

8) Pages

9) Vamp bites

10) S1 Freezing

I really want that Teleport =) Changed limits WOULD BE NICE, PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Actually, I think the order in which the changes were presented in the first informational post wouldn't be too bad at all as the order in which these would be instituted...

Speaking as One Who Knows Nothing, how is running multiple Caves supposed to reduce lag?

Will they each be on different servers?

(If nothing else, this will undoubtedly give Those Who Know These Things a good giggle over such complete ignorance of something 'everybody knows' but me, lol, but I really wonder.)

Actually, I think the order in which the changes were presented in the first informational post wouldn't be too bad at all as the order in which these would be instituted...

Speaking as One Who Knows Nothing, how is running multiple Caves supposed to reduce lag?

Will they each be on different servers?

(If nothing else, this will undoubtedly give Those Who Know These Things a good giggle over such complete ignorance of something 'everybody knows' but me, lol, but I really wonder.)

Of course, I know next to nothing about coding and lag and such, but I'm guessing that having different areas will mean less users looking in one area. So, instead of (for example) 1000 users viewing the Main Cave, and collectively causing a lag-crash, you'd have 10 Biomes with 100 users each. (Did I do that math right? blink.gif) Or at least, much smaller numbers than the original 1000. And since rares will appear in all Biomes, there won't be a huge number of users gathered in one specific Cave.

At least, that makes sense in my mind. Reality has a nasty habit of making my mind run scared. xd.png

Right now everyone refreshes the one page to see Caveborns.

With other locations, it'll split people up to be refreshing five-or-so pages, so each page is being viewed/reloaded less than the main cave page is being viewed/loaded now.

can'twait.can'twait.can'twait.can'twait.can'twait.can'twait.can'twait.can'twait.can'twait.can'twait.can'twait.can'twait.can'twait.can'twait.

*vibrates in chair*

oh, waiting is so haaaard. I'm really excited about this. i try not to think abou this to much cause i get so anxious. i bet tj will release these features with a buch of dragon eggs, so everybody will be rushing around trying to grab eggs and explore the new stuff. ooh, i bet we have use the egg descriptions now which biome the eggs are in. like the ones they be in will be doing the new egg drops while the other go about as normal.

It's not really lag it's reducing, it's just increasing your chance to get certain eggs. :3

But then more of the dragon types would have to be produced no?

I mean imagine people were refreshing some fire biome, then would it always be empty because fire and magma are super rare? Or only embers to be seen?

o.O

I mean imagine people were refreshing some fire biome, then would it always be empty because fire and magma are super rare? Or only embers to be seen?

o.O

*dances* You'll just have to wait and see now! :B

o.O

Maybe it would be like the AP is right now? When all the eggs are gone, then there's a message saying "No eggs to be found"?

EDIT: *pokes SPS and attempts to bribe with Marshmallow creme and Caramel Popcorn*

Edited by Gyps13

Hm, I´m not sure if I like the Biome things- Actually I liked the mix of eggs...

Hm, I´m not sure if I like the Biome things- Actually I liked the mix of eggs...

Trust me, there'll still be a mix. But when we have 200 dragon types +75 alts and hybrids out, you'll definitely be appreciating the biomes. ;3

EDIT: *pokes SPS and attempts to bribe with Marshmallow creme and Caramel Popcorn*

-tries to steal nommies-

Trust me, there'll still be a mix. But when we have 200 dragon types +75 alts and hybrids out, you'll definitely be appreciating the biomes. ;3

blink.gif !!!! ... have some homemade cookies & baklava & cheesecake to get bug squashing done FASTER ...

Edited by JaneMcAsh

-tries to steal nommies-

75 alts and hybrids?...you are such a tease.

Edited by ainisarie

Of course, I know next to nothing about coding and lag and such, but I'm guessing that having different areas will mean less users looking in one area. So, instead of (for example) 1000 users viewing the Main Cave, and collectively causing a lag-crash, you'd have 10 Biomes with 100 users each. (Did I do that math right? blink.gif) Or at least, much smaller numbers than the original 1000. And since rares will appear in all Biomes, there won't be a huge number of users gathered in one specific Cave.

At least, that makes sense in my mind. Reality has a nasty habit of making my mind run scared. xd.png

Hi, Gyps13, and thanks!

But are all these different using the same power source, so to speak, and running 5 different caves from that single server or whatever, or from different ones, which is the only way I (knowing nothing) would imagine it to be possible for running more caves with eggs dropping presumably at the same time to use less bandwidth or whatever results in lag?

Unless they're all staggered?

*welters in a mind-boggling sea of ignorance, probably missing the obvious*

Edit: thanks, SockPuppet Strangler.

People kept saying this would reduce lag, and I couldn't see how, lol.

Usually, situations such as this are related to something I'm missing, so I expected that to be the case.

Now I really feel at sea, lol.

Edited by Syphoneira

I will definitely appreciate the biomes. Unless it's a new release, I'm usually hunting a specific type of dragon. Ridgewings, for instance right now. It would be easier (and more realistic) to find them in their own cave.

That and teleport are my favorites - teleport because then I might actually trade more than once in a blue moon.

Hi, Gyps13, and thanks!

But are all these different using the same power source, so to speak, and running 5 different caves from that single server or whatever, or from different ones, which is the only way I (knowing nothing) would imagine it to be possible for running more caves with eggs dropping presumably at the same time to use less bandwidth or whatever results in lag?

Unless they're all staggered?

*welters in a mind-boggling sea of ignorance, probably missing the obvious*

Edit: thanks, SockPuppet Strangler.

People kept saying this would reduce lag, and I couldn't see how, lol.

Usually, situations such as this are related to something I'm missing, so I expected that to be the case.

Now I really feel at sea, lol.

Ummm...... I don't know? xd.png

Honestly, I don't, so I won't even attempt to answer. However, I shall join you at sea. I love water.... tongue.gif Yaarrrghh?

Edited by Gyps13

During holidays, would the eggs show up in all the biomes since they are considered rare? Or would they be in a special biome created for that holiday only?

Will Purples become more common due to the new BSA? It seems like, when I first started, Purples were as common as Mints. Now I see one egg every hour on the AP and two every half hour on in the Cave. I would be really happy to see them become a little more common, if only for a little while. ♥

You know it seemed like before I read (too late of course) about all the fabulous new happenings, the only reason I clued in to check the news section was there were a lot of purples dropping more so than usual which is usually indicative of something being done with a breed or, at least in the past, that was the case...and then the light bulb in my head finally went off *smacks self*.

-flails- AUGHHHH... dont tease them socky >.>

now i has wrk to do behind this curtain hmm yes.. NO PEEKING. and we uh.. dont have any squid dragons or super rare alts or anything back here either <.< nope

*btw...lol pg 69*

Edited by Kuraianubis