She_Wolf67

Wolves

I have been following the trend of this topic for a few days now and I've finally decided to add my 2 cents to the conversation.

First off, to those that say that wolves are "overrated" and such, what if I were to say that tigers, or whales, or eagles, or manatees, or crocodiles were "overrated"? And as we've clearly seen in the cases of whales and big cats and other animal species, popularity is not always a good thing.

Second, on the issue of aerial hunting, it's wrong in the case of any animal, not just wolves.

Third, in accordance with Kila's argument, I too would not completely trust a wolf. They, like any other animal, are unpredictable and can turn on you without warning. This segues nicely into the topic of wolf-dog hybrids and wolves as pets. I highly advise anyone to not own one. Wolves are wild animals and should not be treated as pets. They are not designed for house-life like their domestic decedents are. And please, don't even start to think that hybrids will be any better. Yes, I know that there are some hybrids that do fine in a domestic setting, but there are even more that don't. Hybridization between wolves and dogs undoes thousands of years of domestication. Usually, the end result in such breedings is an canid that looks like both a wolf and a dog, is extremely volatile, and has no fear of humans.

Finally, I am not a wolfaboo, despite the fact that I plan to spend the greater part of my life researching these animals. I am a proud member of the International Wolf Center in Ely, Minnesota and I hope to work with them one day in the future. However, before you slap the "Wolf-Fan" sticker across my face, I also hope to be able to research other endangered mammals and to spread the word about lesser-known species that are in danger of becoming extinct.

I apologize for the small text wall, but I'm just saying what's on my mind.

Edited by Arroquinn

It's not that they're "overrated" it's that they've just become more popular.

Overrate: –verb (used with object), -rat·ed, -rat·ing.

to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate

Generally, overrated means it's more popular. :\ And, what with the wolfaboos and all, "rated or appraised too highly".

Second, on the issue of aerial hunting, it's wrong in the case of any animal, not just wolves.

Agreed with this.

Overrate: –verb (used with object), -rat·ed, -rat·ing.

to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate

Generally, overrated means it's more popular. :\ And, what with the wolfaboos and all, "rated or appraised too highly".

All I can say is I had an epic brain-lapse....

Staying up til 4 AM and then going into a 10 hr comatose-like sleep isn't good for me....

(Also, I just revised that line)

Edited by Arroquinn

The morals of aerial hunting I can't agree with. However, they are within the law. It's not the most humane way of hunting, but it's certainly more humane than poisoning them and allowing dogs to literally rip them apart limb from limb.

Any skilled hunter can shoot and kill any animal in one shot. Granted some are more difficult because of their anatomy (like trying to shoot a bull between the eyes is very tough because of their horns, and an angry bull moves a lot). It's over for them relatively fast, and is probably the most humane way of killing an animal aside from euthanasia. But who is going to euthanize a wild animal? It's not practical.

I'm not going to deny that other species are super popular, either, like tigers or polar bears. People like "cute" animals. It's why the critically endangered Aye-Aye (I probably spelled that wrong, but my head's still in a fog, so I kinda don't care) slips under the radar. And sometimes people don't even know about many endangered species. The cute factor also works against our fishy friends, like squids, cuttlefish, and, well, just about everything that's not a dolphin, shark, or whale. I included sharks because sharks are badass and more people are trying to dispel myths about them.

Also, -high-fives Arroquin- Go International Wolf Center! I'd probably live there if it wasn't a three+ hour drive :B

I just feel that "wolfaboos" are people who cannot get their facts straight and people who think wolves are more special than almost all other animals in general.

People who like wolves because they are special to them and not just special are not wolfaboos. People who know about wolves and can type in proper sentences are not wolfaboos. It's easy to see who has posted in this thread that could be considered an over fanatic of wolves or a wolfaboo.

I personally still like wolves. I think they are great symbolic creatures. I like coyotes for the same reason. I'm sure you can get weebos or fanatic of pretty much any animal. There does seem to be a lot of ill informed wolf fanatics though, which is why people are irritated.

Also, -high-fives Arroquin- Go International Wolf Center! I'd probably live there if it wasn't a three+ hour drive :B

Haha yes! *high-fives back*

I'd probably live there too if it wasn't like a 20+ hour drive there >.<

People who like wolves because they are special to them and not just special are not wolfaboos. People who know about wolves and can type in proper sentences are not wolfaboos. It's easy to see who has posted in this thread that could be considered an over fanatic of wolves or a wolfaboo.

Exactly my thoughts, Wookie.

Oh yay.

"And with state efforts to knock back the predators' expansion stalled in court, senators from Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and Utah want to strip wolves of their endangered status by force."

canis lupus or wolves are considered highly intelligent and social creatures.

they are NOT overated. otherwise why would people be obsessed with the possibility of werewolves.

they are NOT overated. otherwise why would people be obsessed with the possibility of werewolves.

Because humanity is always inventing some terrifying new predator? That actually just helps factor in to the idea that they're overrated and need to be given a break in pop culture.

That's like saying 'killing is good, otherwise why would we be so interested in famous murder cases'.

Mmm, I was crazy over wolves when I was younger. Not quite so much now, but... I do still find them very interesting, and beautiful.

And like Arroquinn and Kila - love visiting the International Wolf Center. (My dad's cousin used to work there, which was fun.) Just wish it wasn't five hours from here... But since we usually spend a week or so on the North Shore every year, I like to go there when I can.

Last time I was there, I actually saw a wild wolf walking by the side of the road during the drive up there. That was pretty awesome. I knew how big they were, of course, I'd seen them captive, but somehow it never really struck me until I actually saw one wild. I thought it was a deer for a second. XD (Of course, I'm a little more used to the size of coyotes, so... probably affected how big it looked to me.)

Edited by Imbecamiel

Oh yay.

"And with state efforts to knock back the predators' expansion stalled in court, senators from Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and Utah want to strip wolves of their endangered status by force."

They're not endangered anymore, so I honestly don't see the harm in opening up hunting. Regulated hunting. Let me repeat myself, in italics for effect. Regulated hunting. Too many predators is bad. Very bad. And since wolves live in packs it goes something like this... The more numbers in a pack, the more mouths to feed. the more mouths to feed, the more hunting they must do. So while their numbers increase their prey numbers drop. Soon the wolf packs are unstable and suffering.

They ARE overrated. Have you not seen the people who try to defend them from hunting, despite not being endangered, while other species (including other wolf subspecies) are more critically endangered and not receiving the attention they need for conservation? Especially from the general population.

Pack mentality =/= intelligence. there are breeds of dogs that are far more intelligent than wolves. And social? Lots of animals are social.

Please to be doing some research, rather than acting like a Wolfaboo.

well, they are beautiful as most wild animals, but I'm afraid of them. I used to spent summers at the country when I was a teenager and always heard stories about wolves having eaten in winter someone's dogs. I was always very afraid to meet wolves in the forest when it was dark.

Wolves are cool, I find them interesting. Dogs, though, are way cooler, and my interest in wolves is mostly because of their being the ancestors of dogs.

I've always been interested in the relationship between humans and the canines that we have domesticated. It is a very different relationship to the one we have with other animals -and it should be, we've had them for thousands more years than we have any other animal. Sheep, chickens, horses, pet snakes and rats and birds, even cats, even, as people have pointed out, 'tamed' wolves -all of those animals could take or leave us for all they care. Dogs seem to /like/ us and to /enjoy/ living with us. A dog is the only pet that gets outside and looks back to see if its person is coming too.

In some ways, a dog is something that is part-way between human and wolf, and I think a lot of obsession over wolves (and even werewolves) might come from the unusually close relationship between humans and dogs.

Also, I would /love/ to have the chance to hunt a wolf. I would send that pelt to a furrier and cherish it forever. But then I just love hunting and also eating animals, so there is that.

My school mascot is the wolf! I think they're majestic-looking and can be beautiful. However, as far as how many people I've seen drawing them in class in such, they're hugely overrated. Like this girl showed me her sketchbook and it was all full of wolves. Only wolves. Nothing else! Gosh, people can't you draw at least a fox instead? xd.png

wolfs... my most favorite animal of all.

X3

Wolves are definitely my favorite animals. Yes, I know I'm going along with the crowd on this, wolves are the favorites of many people. But they're such beautiful creatures, hearing the howl of a wolf just sends a chill down my spine. And sometimes I really see my personality being comparable to a wolf's. x3

I like all animals. Wolves are ok when it comes to how interesting they are to me. In terms of appearance? I like wolves. I also like the lesser short nosed fruit bat and craneflies, also in terms of appearance. =3

They're just another type of animal... you know what's cool? The Portia spider and the assassin bug.

derp I already posted here

Edited by Zovesta

Wolf is my primary (heart) totem. To me, wolves are spirit-siblings — there's something about them that strikes straight down to my soul. It's as if I cannot conceive of anything other than loving them.

It's so much fun to howl like a wolf. Humans unfortunately tend to get freaked out by it so I usually wait until I'm 'way out in the woods before I do it.

There's currently a big brouhaha about introducing wolves into my state (Oregon). There were some in the next state over, Idaho, but since they were de-listed the governor went crazy and opened hunting season for them over there. A couple have escaped to Oregon and have been seen in the eastern counties like Malheur. There's lots of ranchers back that way and they're screaming for the right to shoot them.

The only scenario where I could see shooting a wolf is in self-defense.

If only they could make it past the gauntlet of ranchers in the Outback and get into the western part of the state, I think they'd be alright since most of the forests around here are timberland. Lumberjacks don't clash with wolves the way ranchers do, they'd be safer.

Wolf is my primary (heart) totem. To me, wolves are spirit-siblings — there's something about them that strikes straight down to my soul. It's as if I cannot conceive of anything other than loving them.

It's so much fun to howl like a wolf. Humans unfortunately tend to get freaked out by it so I usually wait until I'm 'way out in the woods before I do it.

There's currently a big brouhaha about introducing wolves into my state (Oregon). There were some in the next state over, Idaho, but since they were de-listed the governor went crazy and opened hunting season for them over there. A couple have escaped to Oregon and have been seen in the eastern counties like Malheur. There's lots of ranchers back that way and they're screaming for the right to shoot them.

The only scenario where I could see shooting a wolf is in self-defense.

If only they could make it past the gauntlet of ranchers in the Outback and get into the western part of the state, I think they'd be alright since most of the forests around here are timberland. Lumberjacks don't clash with wolves the way ranchers do, they'd be safer.

Believe it or not, wolves threaten people's livelihoods.

I like Wolfes, they are Foxes' best friends and also i'm a fox i want to have a wolf pet but i can't if it will attack my cat. And i'm a cat addict! Oh god, what i have to do with then both?

Third, in accordance with Kila's argument, I too would not completely trust a wolf. They, like any other animal, are unpredictable and can turn on you without warning. This segues nicely into the topic of wolf-dog hybrids and wolves as pets. I highly advise anyone to not own one. Wolves are wild animals and should not be treated as pets. They are not designed for house-life like their domestic decedents are. And please, don't even start to think that hybrids will be any better. Yes, I know that there are some hybrids that do fine in a domestic setting, but there are even more that don't. Hybridization between wolves and dogs undoes thousands of years of domestication. Usually, the end result in such breedings is an canid that looks like both a wolf and a dog, is extremely volatile, and has no fear of humans.

So much this ^ Just because it looks cute doesn't mean that it's going to be as laid back as a labrador. Same thing applies to cats, too, as it happens.

In general F1 hybrids shouldn't be owned by the general public, at least in my opinion. As far as I'm concerned you've got to be at least F5 before you've started to breed the wildness back out of the personalities.

I don't know. I support exotic pet ownership.

I am not sure on that one. i guess what i would have an issue with is someone that hasn't got a clue about what it takes to raise and properly train such a creature trying to keep one as a pet because they are "cool" or "tough"... seems like a recipe for disaster to me. I suspect a wolf-dog cross would NOT be something for a novice dog owner for sure.

I am not sure on that one. i guess what i would have an issue with is someone that hasn't got a clue about what it takes to raise and properly train such a creature trying to keep one as a pet because they are "cool" or "tough"... seems like a recipe for disaster to me. I suspect a wolf-dog cross would NOT be something for a novice dog owner for sure.

I don't believe I said "every idiot and his neighbor should get a wolf. It's fool-proof." I support exotic pet ownership because I know a lot of people over the internet that keep anything from foxes and ferrets to lions and bears. These animals have enrichment, enclosures, and they are happy. I don't see the problem. They take it very seriously, and have all done tons of research on their animals and know how to handle them.

A wolf-hybrid is obviously not an animal for a novice owner who isn't going to treat it right. They have different needs from dogs.

Believe it or not, wolves threaten people's livelihoods.

I'm not going to defend wolves in any way, but could you explain more?