She_Wolf67

Wolves

http://caninebreeds.bulldoginformation.com...eeds-types.html

This can clear up the species/subspecies about wolves...

Looks like grey wolves are species along with the red wolf, and the arctic wolf is a subspecies...

Grey wolves are definitely not endangered though...while some other species of wolves and some sub species are. Sometimes I think the rend started when people learned that wolves were hunted throughout history and began liking them "because they need love too". And so everyone started liking wolves a little too much.

wolves are my friggin life!!!

im not even kidding!!

and Sarah Palin is evil!!!

she EXPANDED the wolf massacre going on in Alaska!!!

they get in like twin engine planes and fly after the wolves and then shoot them from the air. A lot of the times they dont even kill the wolf completely, just let it curl and writhe in pain on the ground. The thing is, they just do this crazy MURDERING because they can!!!!

it really makes me mad!!

The wolves are our brothers and sisters!!

and there are only 100 Red Wolves left in the wild...and ALL of them are in immediate danger!!!

its horrible!!!

See...

You're one of the reasons why I hate wolfaboos.

Wolves as our brothers and sisters? Yeeeeeah no. I love wolves as much as the next girl, but really, what makes Grey Wolves so special? All animals are important, and no one is greater than another. There are animals in greater need of conservation than Grey Wolves, but they're not getting the attention because Grey wolves gain it as a cult phenomenon.

Do wolves have a bad rap that needs to be corrected? Yes. And for the most part, is has.

How about sharks? Great Whites have a huge rap as man killers, when in reality it's human error. Surfers are seen as the silhouette of a seal from below, and Great Whites eat seals. It's only natural that they take a bite. And generally after one bite they realize that that's not a seal, and let go. This is not always the case, though.

And why should Sarah Palin and other hunters be demonized for hunting? Hunting, when done properly and regulated as such, is an important part of keeping nature in balance. Without deer hunting here in Minnesota we would be overrun with deer in urban areas, because there are no predators to keep their population down. Am I wrong for "murdering deer"? Or do you not care about the deer because they're not as fluffy as wolves/not your life.

Do I agree with the number of wolves they're taking down? No. There needs to be a limit on how many they can kill. Two hundred is too many.

But to hate on all hunters and calling them "murderers" while being within their legal right is both ignorant and stupid. You can disagree with them, but calling them evil or murderers is going a step too far. A deer hunter killing the legal limit and staying perfectly within the law is using the rights given to him or her. The same goes for any hunter hunting a given species.

And for the record, there is Red Wolf conservation. People are actively trying to save the population. It's not like people are just sitting back and letting them die.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion, but I think you need to expand your world views and realize that hunters aren't evil and that wolves aren't god sent to earth.

On the subspecies issue, look at the trinomial and binomial names.

Canis lupus- Grey Wolf

Canis lupus lupus- Eurasian Wolf

Canis lupus rufus- Red Wolf

Canis lupus arctos- Arctic Wolf

Canis lupus baileyi- Mexican Wolf

Canis lupus familiaris- domesticated dogs

And so on.

Edit: Fixed a grammar error.

Edited by Kila

wolves are my friggin life!!!

im not even kidding!!

and Sarah Palin is evil!!!

she EXPANDED the wolf massacre going on in Alaska!!!

they get in like twin engine planes and fly after the wolves and then shoot them from the air. A lot of the times they dont even kill the wolf completely, just let it curl and writhe in pain on the ground. The thing is, they just do this crazy MURDERING because they can!!!!

it really makes me mad!!

The wolves are our brothers and sisters!!

and there are only 100 Red Wolves left in the wild...and ALL of them are in immediate danger!!!

its horrible!!!

Um, whut?

Wolves are your friggin life. Are you studying wolves in college or something? Oh wait, judging from your writing style you're probably not in college. (Not meant as an attack, just an observation.)

You're not even kidding. Ok then.

And Sarah Palin is evil. I'll give you this one, but it's not really relevant to wolves.

Define murder please. (Murder - a group of flock or crows, haha just looked this up, epic.)

The aerial wolf control program is designed to control the overpopulated wolf population such that other animals can survive.

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game estimates there are now between 7,700 and 11,200 wolves in the state. State wildlife managers say they prey too heavily on caribou and moose and that the aerial shooting program will increase the populations of these animals needed by subsistance hunters.

The wolves are our brothers and sisters. Seriously? Seriously? Wolves are not even closely related to us genetically. If any animals are our brothers and sisters it's chimpanzees. Of course, from your attitude I doubt you really care about them.

Honestly, if you want your opinions to be taken seriously you should learn to type. There is such a thing as grammar, and proper punctuation. Also, backing up your claims with proof would be nice.

Murder, by definition, is defined as:

Noun

-Law . the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder), and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder).

I'm using the legal definition here (one of many, and I'm no la student, so anyone is free to add on) and not the "to kill brutally" one, simply because those hunting wolves are perfectly within their legal rights. And killing via shooting is more humane than other methods for hunting/eradicating/controlling wolf populations. See my other post in regards to it.

If I have to, I'll pull up other methods, and you'll see why shooting is 10x more humane than poisoning.

The problem with aerial shooting is, as I also mentioned before, the sheer numbers they plan to take out. Rather than hunt until the population is unstable in one area, they can always relocate to a more stable one. And if money is an issue, which in this economy it wouldn't surprise me, then their hunting needs to be more carefully monitored. As in, one to two wolves per individual per season.

The planes can't carry that many people, and while I don't know the process of getting a wolf, to keep too many people from doing it there should be strict regulations in place in regards to getting a license and going out to hunt.

But saying "ONOEZ! NO WOLF HUNTING! IZ EBIL!!!1!!one" when there is clearly an overpopulation problem in that area certainly isn't helping wolves or other species. Nor is careless hunting.

No animal is overated...if ever there was one it is HUMANS >:o ANIMALS ARE NOT A TREND SO HOW CAN THEY BE OVERATED MY GOD HONESTLY PEOPLE....if so life is overated....EARTH is overrated...EXISTANCE is overated >.<

Anyways I love wolves and just about every animal on earth even down to the little earwig bug ^-^. Animals are epic, amazing creatures. Every one has their own skill that just seems so wonderful compaired to the human species. I love the wolf so much because from the wolf and many other wild dogs came our loyal pet and from the wolf comes the beautiful husky.

An animal can be overrated, sweetie. Thing is, we're humans, so while some people can say that humans are overrated in the media, most won't, because we're easy to work with. We understand ourselves a lot.

The reason why wolves are overrated is because people like them without really looking into them, so it's a fad to make stories about their makeshift wolves, draw them, in general, love them. It can become quite annoying. =V

So what if they're overrated? tongue.gif I luve 'em anyways. I love how they have their own pack system. Books about them are almost always interesting.

Edited by Stunningfire

They're cool and stuff, but yeah, as said before, they're overrated. Plus, I just stopped liking them at some point. I mean, I want them to stay in existence and all, but I just don't like them as much anymore.

Plus, I just got too frustrated by everyone going "OMG I LUV WOLVEZ!!!11!!!1!" and such, so my love for them just kind of...faded.

By a lot.

Seriously though, part of the reason I like wolves is because they're easy to write about [although werewolves are just...bleh] and fun to roleplay.

Seriously though, part of the reason I like wolves is because they're easy to write about [although werewolves are just...bleh] and fun to roleplay.

... But so are humans. Humans don't have the pack order and stuff. Not really, at least. >_>

Yes, but with humans, you see them everyday, and you pretty much know a lot about them. [if you didn't, well...tongue.gif] Roleplaying with animals, you can use your imagination.

Use your imagination how?

Like...yeah, there's a pack structure, but you can use your imagination while roleplaying with any creature.

Yes, but with humans, you see them everyday, and you pretty much know a lot about them. [if you didn't, well...tongue.gif] Roleplaying with animals, you can use your imagination.

Why are wolves easier to roleplay with than, say, mooses? (Moosi? Meese?)

Also, I find RP'ing as a werewolf (or pretty much anything) much easier than as a wolf.

/most likely off topic

Moosen! I saw a flock of moosen!

Virtual high five to whoever knows where that's from.

Hm, I dunno why you can't be creative with any kind of animal, including humans. Sure, you can say you enjoy it more, but it's not any easier or more difficult, imo.

Why do people always post pictures of wolves and bands made out of slashes and hyphens saying "Post this if you care about wolves and think that hunting them is wrong and should be illegal" or somthing similar that? Its not going to do anything, and if you really want to do somthing about it, than why dont you actually do somthing about it? Im not saying its wrong to care about them, its just my view on it. :L

Edited by blargh

I'd say they're easier to RP as simply because there's so much info on them floating around, it's easier to get an idea of what the animal is like. On the other hand, I've never seen a fan club for moose.

Moose are badasses. They run around and pwn the living daylight out of wolves most of the time. One kick and BAM. Dead wolf.

You don't mess with a moose.

Why do people always post pictures of wolves and bands made out of slashes and hyphens saying "Post this if you care about wolves and think that hunting them is wrong and should be illegal" or somthing similar that? Its not going to do anything, and if you really want to do somthing about it, than why dont you actually do somthing about it? Im not saying its wrong to care about them, its just my view on it. :L

Because most of the people that do things like that are ill-informed tweens with little to no education on the subject. Most cannot drive are are too absorbed in trying to be E-famous to think of donating to a wildlife organization or their local wolf sanctuary.

Edit: typos.

Edited by Kila

Because, as kila said, they are misinformed teenagers (imho, pre-teens). They also want to portray themselves as caring for wolves. I wonder how many of those people will ever do jack for wolves in their lives?

I think it's interesting that the OP hasn't posted since the first post...maybe we scared her off?

If I were forced to pick a favorite wolf...it would probably one of the wolves that live in more desert like regions.

I also prefer dholes to wolves any day.

I think it's interesting that the OP hasn't posted since the first post...maybe we scared her off?

If I were forced to pick a favorite wolf...it would probably one of the wolves that live in more desert like regions.

I also prefer dholes to wolves any day.

Dholes are delicious <3

I'm partial to fluffy wolves as well, but as a whole, a good portion of wolves are pretty fluffy.

Though I love Arabian Wolves. Desert animals are always cool.

In regards to the OP, I dunno, maybe?

I miss the compelling posts D: Maybe I should direct some Wolfaboos to this topic -shot-

I miss the compelling posts D: Maybe I should direct some Wolfaboos to this topic -shot-

Nuuuu...I don't want the thread to die.

So what really compels one to love wolves to an almost unhealthy extent?

Sometimes I see it as "retribution" for people hating wolves for so long. Unfortunately people still think wolves are despised by people because of old beliefs that they are connected to "evil".

I have yet to find someone who actually thinks such a thing. When did this fandom even start...?

With Balto maybe? Or is that too far back? I actually don't know many wolf movies or books...they just started coming out of nowhere ._.

So what really compels one to love wolves to an almost unhealthy extent?

Probably furries and everything associated to that. Oh, and werewolves. You know, the tanned guy that hops in shirtless almost all the time in a girl's bedroom and hates vampires?

@Kayota: Why?

I'm not really sure. I know that I started out roleplaying wolves, and I've always had a very strong connection with dogs and, by extension, wolves, ever since I was little. So that has something to do with it I'm sure.

For all of you who are dissing wolves, please don't post if your just gonna call them overrated. I made this thread for people who like them to talk about them.

For all of you who are dissing wolves, please don't post if your just gonna call them overrated. I made this thread for people who like them to talk about them.

Generally threads go both ways.