She_Wolf67

Wolves

I used to be such a wolf fangirl when I was little laugh.gif

I would read all kinds of things about them, and come up with stories about them, and draw them all the time.

Of course now I'm a bit scared to even talk about them... Their popularity is not a good thing, and it saddens me to see them get so much hate because of their stupid fans sad.gif

Anyway, I think they're smart, beautiful, and amazing animals. But people should just calm down about them already. They're not that great. They're skittish, shy, and unpredictable wild animals. Stop treating them like humanized dogs.

I used to be such a wolf fangirl when I was little laugh.gif

I would read all kinds of things about them, and come up with stories about them, and draw them all the time.

Of course now I'm a bit scared to even talk about them... Their popularity is not a good thing, and it saddens me to see them get so much hate because of their stupid fans sad.gif

Anyway, I think they're smart, beautiful, and amazing animals. But people should just calm down about them already. They're not that great. They're skittish, shy, and unpredictable wild animals. Stop treating them like humanized dogs.

Exactly. Over on dA....oh, the wolfaboos. I wanna kill myself.

I have a Siberian!

There's a fantastic wolf comic online called Off-White. Best I've ever read in that genre. But some of it's fans are serious wolfaboos. There's a human character in the story named Seven. She almost kills one of the main wolves in self defense. Because of this, some of the wolfaboos have been cheering for her death. She's obviously not going to die here and now - as she's a major character - and it kind of sickens me to see such closed minded thinking from these kids. Hopefully they'll grow out of it.

Wolves are fascinating animals. But they are, ya know, animals. I've heard some people apply words like 'honorable' and 'compassionate' to wolves as a whole and it's just not true. Animals have no concept of honor. Social animals like wolves do understand fairness, however they are hardly alone in this sense. Most social primates also have a concept of fairness and will punish members of their troop who cheat. Wolves (and most other social animals) also care for one another, but to call it 'compassion' is a gross misunderstanding. I think if you love wolves, you should try to understand them as they are: wild animals.

I love wolves, but that doesn't mean I would walk up to one in the wild and hug it. Admire from afar, yes. I've read many books that have wolf characters (Julie of the Wolves is foremost in my mind at the moment), and while not all books depict them in the best of light, or accurately, and I do enjoy reading books that attempt to speak to the essence of what a wolf is.

Wolves are okay.

Cheetahs are cooler.

A comment I found on YouTube:

"Why is it that when people are shown videos of wolves hunting, they go on about how "amazing and beautiful" wolves are, but when shown videos of other predators hunting, such as lions, hyenas, crocodiles and such, they're like, "ohh so and so animal is so evil for hurting that poor so and so animal, they should be annihilated because they kill all the poor innocent herbivore creatures omg"?"

~Frugal Budgerigar

Because wolves are ...graceful, in a sense. My uncle's cottage used to have wolves. You occasionally saw one across the lake and you could hear them at night. I think wolves are amazing, but their origins are even more amazing.

A comment I found on YouTube:

"Why is it that when people are shown videos of wolves hunting, they go on about how "amazing and beautiful" wolves are, but when shown videos of other predators hunting, such as lions, hyenas, crocodiles and such, they're like, "ohh so and so animal is so evil for hurting that poor so and so animal, they should be annihilated because they kill all the poor innocent herbivore creatures omg"?"

~Frugal Budgerigar

Because they never say that at all, lol.

Wolves, even though they cannot be truly described as noble or compassionate, they embody those attributes, and are a SYMBOL of them, but the wolfaboos say they ARE noble and compassionate, while normal wolf lovers say they are more of a symbol for it. I feel like with "overrated" animals, the popularity decreases because of people who hate overrated things. And the cycle continues.

I love wolves, and they fascinate me. The sound of their howling has a strange magical influence on me, for some reason I like hearing it. And I love them for their resemblance to dogs, which I absolutely adore! smile.gif

I like wolves in theory or as part of a fictional story, but I'm very aware of the damage they can cause and the danger they pose to livestock, pets, and humans. They are beautiful animals, but I prefer them in a picture to in person.

I like wolves in theory or as part of a fictional story, but I'm very aware of the damage they can cause and the danger they pose to livestock, pets, and humans. They are beautiful animals, but I prefer them in a picture to in person.

Well said. They are a neat part of nature, but I'd feel rather nervous if I happened to meet one in its natural habitat.

I like wolves in theory or as part of a fictional story, but I'm very aware of the damage they can cause and the danger they pose to livestock, pets, and humans.  They are beautiful animals, but I prefer them in a picture to in person.

Honestly, we took their land and put a bunch of tasty animals on it. It's not really their fault. It's really up to the farmers to provide better methods to keep wolves away.

Also, there have only ever been 4 people killed by wolves in the last 200 years in north america. You are a lot safer encountering a wolf in the woods than a random dog in the suburbs.

Edited by Syaoransbear

Honestly, we took their land and put a bunch of tasty animals on it. It's not really their fault. It's really up to the farmers to provide better methods to keep wolves away.

Also, there have only ever been 4 people killed by wolves in the last 200 years in north america. You are a lot safer encountering a wolf in the woods than a random dog in the suburbs.

THIS.

Dogs kill an average of 20-30 people a year, whereas wolves rarely kill people.

Honestly I feel there are still so many people who hate wolves, but there are also the "OMG WOOFS R PURFEC U SHUD NEFR KIL A WOOF LIEK EVR" people, who are equally as bad. I just wish people would see wolves as cool animals, who are very interesting and majestic, and leave it at that. Learn facts about them. Love them. Respect them. Don't romanticize them, worship them, or hate them for no reason. They're JUST ANOTHER COOL ANIMAL. Not "speshul."

I agree with you Igloo...

However if you like books, fantasy, and wolves, you should read this book. I liked it so it is my job to spread the word!

Wolves deserve respect. You know what some of the people who have lived in an area around wolves just about forever say?

"It is good when you hear the wolves. They sing when their bellies are full. When they are quiet, you worry and watch. Their bellies are empty..."

Personally, when in the woods I worry more about grizzlies, or even black bears. Even so, when we have a very cold and snowy winter people start loosing dogs, yes- even larger dogs like huskies. The wolves eat them since they need food. Cats, small dogs, they go missing regularly. Usually owls or foxes though. Then there was the little toy dog that got grabbed by a bald eagle down by the coast a while back too. There's a reason I do indoor rabbits.

Only a few years ago, maybe 2009 or so, a teacher was jogging in one of the villages and a pack took her down right before break up got into full swing. It was sad, but she should have paid better attention to her surroundings and what not.

It is unnerving to be out fishing on a riverbank and see one wolf. Then, when scaring it off with a loud noise, you hear the other three or four surrounding you take off too.

Get off the tour bus and into the food chain up here.

The best wolf thing ever was seeing two wolf pups run across the high way just outside of Dawson City when heading back home. I thought they were shepards at first, but they looked different. Wish I could have gotten a picture, but those little buggers were fast.

I love wolves. They are fascinating, it's really nice to hear them sing too. But they will eat people if they need to. I wouldn't want to face one or more out in the woods unarmed. Just in case.