She_Wolf67

Wolves

I used to love wolves a lot. They were my favorite animals and I drew them all the time. Then I discovered the internet and...wolfaboos.

Sparkledogs, wolfaboos, and the general 'SPESHUL SNOWFLAKE' attitude surrounding wolves just ruined it for me.

I love a whole bunch of animals, too, and now that I've been saturated with 'DARK AND EDGY' wolves around every corner on the internet, I don't like them as much.

So much agree.

Wolves are incredible animals, though. My uncle (back in Poland) took care of an injured wolf cub a few years ago.

Wolves are the most freaking amazing animals ever. I have 4 Webkinz that I concider wolves. One is a Timber wolf (I still have his tag unused), a Red wolf, A Siberian Husky, and an Arctic Fox. All signatured.

I like dingoes :3 the Aussie wolf.

my gollt gosh dingoes get such bad reputations it is not fair! they are even more skittish than wolves but people see them and think "it's a dog!" and feed it because some dingoes are kept as pets, and so the dingo leanrs people=food and they get kinda irate when people don't=food or they decide your kid would make good food.

i have interacted with domestic dingoes and disagree with keeping them as pets because they are just so skittish and easy to scare :/ it makes them dangerous. love em to bits but people have no idea what they are getting into.

i figure wolves are much the same, but more majestic in appearance while the dingo is more or less a simple prettiness. oh and the dingoes howl is much more chilling than a wolves, it send real tingles down my spine no animal has ever done that to me.

has anyone heard of the Sarloos Wolfhound? I think it's a hybrid, of german shepherd traced to wolf, so it doesn't get hip desplaysia.

has anyone heard of the Sarloos Wolfhound? I think it's a hybrid, of german shepherd traced to wolf, so it doesn't get hip desplaysia.

your almost right. they were bred to try and eradicate canine distemper but it failed.

He aimed for an improved version of the German Shepherd Dog which would be immune to distemper

His theory was also proven wrong, as nearly all the first generation hybrids succumbed to distemper

Saarlooswolfhound wiki

The Saarloos Wolfhound has a lifespan of approximately 10 -12 years. Like the German Shepherd it is prone to hip dysplasia as well as spondylosis of the spine

www.url.biz/Articles/Article-3688.html

I think wolves are just so pretty and smart. They can be any color from white to brown to black, they have their own social system, and they take turns baby sitting! Aren't they amazing?  laugh.gif

Yes they are. They are graceful and beautiful creatures.

I think wolves have kinda become overrated now.

god, this so much.

not a wolf fan much, they aren't interesting to me...i'm more of a cat person anyways. i think different breeds of dogs are cooler than wolves, like great danes, dobermans, and...dachshunds. xd.png

I really like wolves. Their complex hierarchy intrigues me to no end. They are not my favorite animal, but they are one of them.

Wolves are amazing. A totally cooler version of a dog. Not that I would ever want a wolf though. I know dangerous when I see it.

Wolves are awesome. They are incredibly strong, yet graceful and beautiful. I get tired of hearing them about every 5 blinkin' seconds and the cliche picture of a wolf howling with a moon behind it, but I still love them. ^^

My dog is very wolf-like in appearance, though she's actually a German Shepard/Border Collie. I'm not sure if there's anything else in her, but she has a very wolf-ish face, and loves to hunt after things. *used to bring dead squirrels back to our door step and dig up moles and voles in the yard when she smelled them*

We also have Coyotes and some foxes living in our woods, though I haven't seen them in a while. Kinda sad.

Edited by SilverX7Studios

I love wolves/did, but wolfaboos ruined it for me. :/ I really don't care to hear how /great/. wolves are. That's what WolfQuest is for. You don't see a ton of people talking about dragons on the forums, if you think about it. (unless I think the Site Discussion is an integrated part of my brain and am wrong).

Edited by Ashes The Second

I love the way wolves look, mostly in the cold seasons when they have a fuller coat and their faces get more rounded. they are gorgeous in the winter, summer.. they look a bit less majestic, in my opinion

wolves are overrated in alot.png of drawings, but their still my favorite animal. everybody has a wolf character with big eyes (not that big eyes arent cute) and bright neon fur. like its original. but their still beautiful, majestic creatures. i can't say i never had a wolf character, because i did. but now i have a dragon. still love wolves, and it's wrong to go off and kill them because their "overpopulated". i hope one day to have a wolf hybrid, which have wolves beauty and dogs structure and personality. but not saying wolves have a bad personality, they just have alot.png of wildness in them.

wolves are overrated in alot.png of drawings, but their still my favorite animal. everybody has a wolf character with big eyes (not that big eyes arent cute) and bright neon fur. like its original. but their still beautiful, majestic creatures. i can't say i never had a wolf character, because i did. but now i have a dragon. still love wolves, and it's wrong to go off and kill them because their "overpopulated". i hope one day to have a wolf hybrid, which have wolves beauty and dogs structure and personality. but not saying wolves have a bad personality, they just have alot.png of wildness in them.

Wolves ARE overpopulated in a lot of areas. If we don't manage these populations, other animals become over hunted. When those animals become overhunted, other animals and plants become too numerous and the entire ecosystem can be destroyed. Too many wolves in one area can destroy ALL of the wolves in that area in future generations.

Wolf hybrids definitely do NOT have the personality of your average dog. I suggest you do some research on them.

Wolves ARE overpopulated in a lot of areas. If we don't manage these populations, other animals become over hunted. When those animals become overhunted, other animals and plants become too numerous and the entire ecosystem can be destroyed. Too many wolves in one area can destroy ALL of the wolves in that area in future generations.

Wolf hybrids definitely do NOT have the personality of your average dog. I suggest you do some research on them.

i meant in general, not all. their close, because they've been around people (the breeders the assesments) and not all dogs have the personality of the average dog either. it's just the matter of the dog/puppy. their not wolves, which aren't blood thirsty either. again, the personality is up to the animal themselves. and as for the overpopulation subject, not all wolves are in one area. their spread out. and i'm one of the people who supports the whole ecosystem subject. but i'm assuming we kill wolves faster than they reproduce/give birth. we need to balance everything out. and they aren't overpopulated in all areas, as you said but people hunt them there anyways.

i meant in general, not all. their close, because they've been around people (the breeders the assesments) and not all dogs have the personality of the average dog either. it's just the matter of the dog/puppy. their not wolves, which aren't blood thirsty either. again, the personality is up to the animal themselves. and as for the overpopulation subject, not all wolves are in one area. their spread out. and i'm one of the people who supports the whole ecosystem subject. but i'm assuming we kill wolves faster than they reproduce/give birth. we need to balance everything out. and they aren't overpopulated in all areas, as you said but people hunt them there anyways.

The amount of wolves that can be hunted in an area is monitored by forest officials, the same as the amount of deer and other animals are monitored. You need to obtain a hunting license for a reason, and you can only kill a certain amount of animals. Grey wolves, as a species, are not endangered.

And no, in general, they are not more docile than a dog with thousands of years of domestication behind it. I actually speak to people on a regular basis that own wolf hybrids and other exotics. They are NOT for everyone.

The amount of wolves that can be hunted in an area is monitored by forest officials, the same as the amount of deer and other animals are monitored. You need to obtain a hunting license for a reason, and you can only kill a certain amount of animals. Grey wolves, as a species, are not endangered.

And no, in general, they are not more docile than a dog with thousands of years of domestication behind it. I actually speak to people on a regular basis that own wolf hybrids and other exotics. They are NOT for everyone.

understandable, and i don't plan on getting a pet like that without proper knowledge or understanding. i can only obtain so much knowledge from my current recources. and even though it happens, i dont support hunting for sport/ fashion. and i was refering to the endangered wolves. because their species don't need to be kept in check. but there are better ways to stop a certian species from overpopulating than killing them. they could be transfered to zoos or other animal facilities like that. wolves don't know their overpopulating, and they'd feel what we'd feel if we were killed suddenly. it was just their purpose to keep the species going. like it is ours. it's natural for them to have offspring because you wouldn't want your species to go extinct. to their knowledge their a normal sized pack.

understandable, and i don't plan on getting a pet like that without proper knowledge or understanding. i can only obtain so much knowledge from my current recources. and even though it happens, i dont support hunting for sport/ fashion. and i was refering to the endangered wolves. because their species don't need to be kept in check. but there are better ways to stop a certian species from overpopulating than killing them. they could be transfered to zoos or other animal facilities like that. wolves don't know their overpopulating, and they'd feel what we'd feel if we were killed suddenly. it was just their purpose to keep the species going. like it is ours. it's natural for them to have offspring because you wouldn't want your species to go extinct. to their knowledge their a normal sized pack.

There's a limit to how feasible it is to transport wolves to zoos. And no one is advocating killing endangered animals, so that's sort of a moot point at all.

Even a low content wolf hybrid is too much for most people. Everything about wolf hybrids is to the extreme, because dogs have very watered down wolf behaviors and instincts. Most reputable rescues won't let you have even a low content unless you have a containment in your backyard that is at least 20X30, 8 foot high fencing with lean ins and coyote rollers or hot wire, and dig guards all around.

If you ever thought your dog's howling was annoying, or your dog's destructiveness was bad, or your dog's digging was bad, or your dog's resource guarding was hard to deal with or scary, or your dog's prey drive was too high, or your dog's energy level was too high, or your dog is too dominant, or your dog is too shy, you'd never be able to handle a wolfdog because all of those behaviors that are typically unwanted in a dog are expressed to the extreme in a wolfdog. The huge majority of high contents cannot live in someone's house because of how destructive they are. I think every wolfdog I know has at some point dug up the cable line or the water pipe in their owner's backyard.

I'd like to rescue a wolfdog one day, but not for several years when I own enough property and have a nice containment set up. I was actually scheduled to transport a high content wolfdog to the next province in a few weeks, but the person who was giving him up to the sanctuary ended up selling him to some random person instead. It was such a mess. I'm still looking around on kijiji or the spca website waiting for him to show up. He's been through several homes already.

user posted image

His name is Fenris. If anyone sees him floating around kijiji, craigslist, facebook, or other sites, please contact me. He has a better home still waiting for him.

Even a low content wolf hybrid is too much for most people. Everything about wolf hybrids is to the extreme, because dogs have very watered down wolf behaviors and instincts. Most reputable rescues won't let you have even a low content unless you have a containment in your backyard that is at least 20X30, 8 foot high fencing with lean ins and coyote rollers or hot wire, and dig guards all around.

If you ever thought your dog's howling was annoying, or your dog's destructiveness was bad, or your dog's digging was bad, or your dog's resource guarding was hard to deal with or scary, or your dog's prey drive was too high, or your dog's energy level was too high, or your dog is too dominant, or your dog is too shy, you'd never be able to handle a wolfdog because all of those behaviors that are typically unwanted in a dog are expressed to the extreme in a wolfdog. The huge majority of high contents cannot live in someone's house because of how destructive they are. I think every wolfdog I know has at some point dug up the cable line or the water pipe in their owner's backyard.

I'd like to rescue a wolfdog one day, but not for several years when I own enough property and have a nice containment set up. I was actually scheduled to transport a high content wolfdog to the next province in a few weeks, but the person who was giving him up to the sanctuary ended up selling him to some random person instead. It was such a mess. I'm still looking around on kijiji or the spca website waiting for him to show up. He's been through several homes already.

user posted image

His name is Fenris. If anyone sees him floating around kijiji, craigslist, facebook, or other sites, please contact me. He has a better home still waiting for him.

He is a beauty!!

Wolves are pretty cool, but yeah, wolfaboos...I want to punch them all. I have no clue why wolves are so overhyped. Pretty, yeah. Cool social structure, sure. But like others have said, lots of animals are pretty and have interesting social structures. Bees and ants are pretty neat in the social aspect to me, and my all-time favorite animal to study the social system of...redwing blackbirds. Yep. Those plain, boring little birds that most people overlook because they're not flashy. Super cool. If you walk around where a flock has a territory, they'll send some of the males after you, who will circle above you or follow you in the trees or shrubs for miles, and you can hear them communicating about your whereabouts to the other "scouts."

Oh, and since someone mentioned hyenas...fun random fact: hyenas are more closely related to felines than canines. biggrin.gif

Just going to post this randomly: did you know that black wolves' fur color is due to a mutation? Black wolves occur through wolf and dog hybridisation.

Edited by sarrepta1

Wolves are pretty cool, but yeah, wolfaboos...I want to punch them all. I have no clue why wolves are so overhyped. Pretty, yeah. Cool social structure, sure. But like others have said, lots of animals are pretty and have interesting social structures. Bees and ants are pretty neat in the social aspect to me, and my all-time favorite animal to study the social system of...redwing blackbirds. Yep. Those plain, boring little birds that most people overlook because they're not flashy. Super cool. If you walk around where a flock has a territory, they'll send some of the males after you, who will circle above you or follow you in the trees or shrubs for miles, and you can hear them communicating about your whereabouts to the other "scouts."

Oh, and since someone mentioned hyenas...fun random fact: hyenas are more closely related to felines than canines. biggrin.gif

I like redwings, they're perdy. <3

Or, well, the males are at least. X'D

I tend to like the 'fantasy' of wolves more, if that makes sense. Like the real animals are beautiful, but they're not as exciting or wonderful as they're made out to be (ex: a dominant female will kill a non-dominant's puppies, and a group of wolves will fight with and kill other groups--not nearly as romantic or dignified as we'd like to pretend). Their portrayals in stories and myths are pretty epic, though.

Far to overhyper for me, I don't get it I don't think they're as amazing and cool looking as people say :/

$0.02