She_Wolf67

Wolves

Could y'all please stop attacking each other?

This subject is about wolves. And rhea, some cultures, native Americans for instance, believe in wolf spirits (dunno the details).

Yeah, but they don't really base themselves around one animal, from what I've heard.

There's also various religions that would have 'spirit creatures' or whatever as well, but that brings up a whole different set of issues. The people that just insist that they're so cool because they're some religion or another that allows them to have a spirit animal and of course it's a wolf.

.....Does anyone know of any other 'spirit animals' that are out there for those religions? I'm thinking Pagan, wikkan, whatever, but the only spirit animals I've ever heard of are wolves. :\

...So you can have just about any animal for a 'spirit animal'?

...... then how come I know about 30+ people all with the same animal? ಠ_ಠ Seems... a long shot.

....Has anyone on here seen a wolf in person, now? To make it more interesting- not in a zoo?

I did! It was awesome. I went to the International Wolf Center in Minnesota. We got them to howl and everything! laugh.gif

Nope - closes thing I've seen in the wild is a coyote (sad, really...)

Yeah, everyone seems to have the same few spirit animals all recycled over and over again >.> Invertebrate spirit animals, anyone? How about "uncool" animals?

....Has anyone on here seen a wolf in person, now? To make it more interesting- not in a zoo?

I saw a few at a wolf reserve.

I like wolves, but I agree that they're over-rated.

To be quite frank I'm far more fond of the domesticated wolves we have at home - our dogs. I do think wolves are beautiful but dogs are very interesting IMO - you can interact, train, be a part of their lives and their love for humans is beautiful.

Wolves are gorgeous though, and I do like them. I went through a "wolf phase" and had pics of wolves all over my room and told people that I was reincarnated from a wolf. I was a pre-teen at that time tongue.gif

I saw wolves at Wolf Haven in Oregon but I'm not sure that counts as "not in a zoo."

Edited by Kayota

Anyone see a wolf that's not in a spot designated for them, then? x3

I've seen wolves in the city of Corpus Christi, before. One was just standing at the corner of an intersection before. It actually waited for traffic to stop before crossing, they are pretty smart. Or fast learners. :b

Then there was another one at the side of the road in some country town, I forgot which... The thing was as big as the car I was in. x: twas HUGE.

I haven't seen a wolf in the wild, but I've seen their tracks, markings, and fresh kills. That was an interesting day.

On the subject of spirit animals or totem animals, pretty much any animal can be one. Though it seems a lot of people who never read into the subject just pick one, this is how so many people end up with wolf "spirits".

There is no wrong or right way to find your totem animal, but I can assure you you just don't get to pick it. It take s little work on the person's part.

Now, back in the good 'ol days the person would wander into the wilderness and usually sit down in an area to "fast" and pretty much go hungry until they envision the animal the animal that is their guide. They also don't pick the first animal that comes along. Also then, for the Native Americans, the spirit guides were pretty much limited to the bodies of the animals that could appear in that area. A person can also have more than one spirit animal, in fact, it's common.

But if you don't want to starve yourself, there are several "vision quests" you can try out to find your totem animal. Sometimes people already know their animal because of the connection they felt with that particular animal throughout their life. It's pretty much different for every person.

I also had a fascination for wolves and they were my favorite animal for a while...I do think it was only because everyone else liked them though. This was also before the wolfaboo era. After I found out so many people liked them, I just stopped liking them so much myself. I still kinda considered them a favorite animal until I attempted my own totem seeking.

Also the thought "all wolves are our brothers and sisters" has some bearing in Native American lore. There is a saying I remember (I don't remember what tribe it was from) and it was something along the lines of "treat the heavens as your father, the earth as your mother and all living things as your brothers and sisters."

All animals were considered equal, none were of more importance than the other in spirit. Though there are many animals that do stand out such as the buffalo, raven, or shark (in the case of Hawaii).

/rambling

The only things I think of that could have spurred wolf love is pretty much furries and Deviantart. And it kinda slowly spread from there.

I also have never seen a wild wolf...

Wook, since you seem to know so much - did they have invertebrate spirit animals often? Butterflies and scorpions and such?

Wook, since you seem to know so much - did they have invertebrate spirit animals often? Butterflies and scorpions and such?

Any animal can be one in, fact, I think I remember specifically spiders....and I don't know so much, I just read a lot :/

I'd have to look some up though.

I love wolves mostly because of Twilight Princess. But now that the whole world has too much love for them; its starting to kill its awesomeness. But I still love them.

As said so many times, I think they're overrated. Doesn't mean I don't like them. They're very nice. I just put my interests in other animals.

Dingos are fine. Actually, I have a weak spot for dingos.

Either way, I could do with a little less "OMGWOLVES!" in my life.

I did! It was awesome. I went to the International Wolf Center in Minnesota. We got them to howl and everything! :lol:

I've been there multiple times. It's like...a four hour drive, depending on traffic out of the cities (and with the construction, oy vey...).

Personally, my favorite place to go for wolf visiting is the center up in Forest Lake. I've gone there enough to know the wolves pretty well (one of their rescues was from Yellowstone. He lost a leg in an altercation with a bear or moose). It doesn't hurt that it's a thirty minute drive and I've been up there more times than I can remember.

But really, there's nothing like seeing a wolf in the wild. I was up in Boundary Water territory, and we heard wild packs and caught fleeting glimpses while canoeing. Very cool, if you ask me. Cooler than seeing them being fences and glass.

On the topic of Native Americans and spirit animals, Wookie summed it up pretty well. I'd just like to say that Native Americans don't base their "religion" (it's more of a belief than a religion, really) on any animal. They revered and respected many different animals, but believe in a great creator and in the spirit of Mother Earth, to sum it up in a nutshell.

As said in the wild animals as pets topic, there's a local guy that trains rescued domesticated wolves, so I've seen a few of those walking around the city (with their owners of course!) =P

Once I could have sworn I saw them at my Grandfather's place up in the Appalachians. I was hiking in the woods some distance from the house (and the house was 30 minutes away from civilization aside from a farm here and there), sat down to rest, and saw what at least looked like a pack of largish fluffy dogs quite a distance away from me. They probably already knew I was there by the time I saw them, but either way they ignored me and just went further into the woods. I was so stunned that I turned around and went home =P

My Grandfather said they were probably just a pack of feral dogs or coyotes, but I still think they were wolves.

Wolves were meh until I read Lone Wolf by Kathryn Lasky. Then I realized how amazing they were and could be.

Oh, and if anyone could find the youtube video of the really nice wolf-dog hybrid that was trained to look like it'll eat you in 3 seconds, please post it here, I can't find it >.<

Wolves were meh until I read Lone Wolf by Kathryn Lasky. Then I realized how amazing they were and could be.

Oh, and if anyone could find the youtube video of the really nice wolf-dog hybrid that was trained to look like it'll eat you in 3 seconds, please post it here, I can't find it >.<

This one?

That dog really does look quite like a wolf. There are a few feature they are off, but I'm sure from a distance or from the point of view of someone who hasn't seen any wolves, then that could easily be mistaken for a wolf.

Does anyone know if they use wolf hybrids in movies, or full wolves? I can easily see a dog like this being portrayed as a wolf in a movie.

This one?

That dog really does look quite like a wolf. There are a few feature they are off, but I'm sure from a distance or from the point of view of someone who hasn't seen any wolves, then that could easily be mistaken for a wolf.

Does anyone know if they use wolf hybrids in movies, or full wolves? I can easily see a dog like this being portrayed as a wolf in a movie.

The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe used real wolves, and then CGI'd over them in the talking bits.

Wolf-hybrids can be anywhere from one percent to ninety-nine percent wolf. ;p The pups of these wolves tend to be more energetic and wild than most dogs, and require a bit more care. However, it's perfectly possible for two pups of the same wolf-hybrid litter to emerge with opposite personalities. I support the owning of exotic creatures and exotic creature hybrids, so long as the person has the time, research, and dedication to care for one. ;p

Anyway, I do like wolves. But they're not my favorite animal. I dislike dogs. I like wolves a bit more, and like cats more than wolves. Above all, I prefer foxes and eagles. If you've ever seen a bald eagle- in the wild- up close, it's terrifying but awesome at the same time. ;p They're huge. I was walking with my cat when I saw one; I was afraid it would eat her. It just stared at me and then flew away slowly. Big wingspan. 'o.o

And omigawsh. I love the African Painted Dog! (I call them African Wild Dogs, but that title sounds pretty.~ ^.^) All-in-all, though, foxes are my extreme favorite. 8D