Bear

Abortion

I love how the woman's wishes are always ignored. The woman doesn't even come into their minds.

I was recently having a conversation with two pro-lifers via facebook where one of the women actually said "I like how you have all this outrage for the mothers, but show none for the babies. All life deserves a chance". So I told them my outrage for the babies - the babies who are forced to be born only to lead lives where they are neglected, unloved, abused, raped, and unable to be saved and asked why they had no outrage for the women who are forced to go through pregnancy/parenthood.

The whole post (and therefore whole conversation) was deleted shortly after.

~

That sheriff candidate is disgusting. It's terrifying how many people believe things like that. "Rape babies are a blessing a woman should be relieved to have." "Women can't get pregnant from rape." "I'd use force to stop legal abortions."

I had a conversation with my pro-life friend and her opinion was that you might as well just adopt out the baby. I told her how harmful the adoption system could be and her response was, "It's free for the mothers and so often they just give the baby over right away to loving parents."

Not having access to the internet I couldn't look up all the statistics, but I was wondering what you guys think? How often does this actually happen?

I had a conversation with my pro-life friend and her opinion was that you might as well just adopt out the baby. I told her how harmful the adoption system could be and her response was, "It's free for the mothers and so often they just give the baby over right away to loving parents."

Not having access to the internet I couldn't look up all the statistics, but I was wondering what you guys think? How often does this actually happen?

*snort*

NO.

Just... NO.

I'll let Shiney handle this one, but your friend's view is pretty far from reality -- and consequently, immensely harmful.

(Sorry if I misspelled your name, Shiney: I'm on pain medication and my brain is pretty fuzzy right now...)

I love how the woman's wishes are always ignored. The woman doesn't even come into their minds.

Why should they? I mean, silly wimmenz are just walking incubators, nothing more than breeders who take care of the young they shoot out and serve their man-masters.

Something like that clearly doesn't need an opinion--it'll get in the way of making sandwiches or something.

sleep.gif' What's between my legs doesn't determine my worth as a person or if my opinions, wants, and needs matter. Nor does how I (don't) use what's between my legs--provided I'm not using it to hurt people/manipulate people/etc.

Now, I don't have anything against a woman who does want to be a stay-at-home mother to several children and leave having a paying job to the father. That's her choice, just like if a father wants to be a stay at home father and leave earning money to the mother, that's his choice.

I do, however, have an issue with those who act and speak in a way that makes me suspect they believe all women should aspire to birth the children of some man--perhaps the man who raped her because impregnating her is a magical gift that somehow negates the horrific trauma she suffered--and that she doesn't get to have a say in what happens to her body or her life once a potential baby comes into the picture--or at all, really, because apparently birth control is horrible and evil and must be banned. Can't have those women taking control of their sexuality and having sex before they marry nice young men, after all! Or after, I mean sex is only for making babies! It has no health benefits and isn't a bonding activity, after all.

And people who say things like "women can prevent pregnancy during rape" or "lethal force to stop abortions" make me suspect they might secretly (or not so secretly, depending on the person) harbor such views.

(Disclaimer: Sarcasm has been used in this post, though not directed at any members here. I'd hope that'd be obvious from my previous posts and the rest of the context of my post, but I know tone can carry badly in text so I'll just leave this here anyway.)

Re: Snowytoshi's post--I dunno how often it happens, but I'd imagine almost never. Well, not legally, anyway.

Like loving parents are always there just around the corner. rolleyes.gif Not to mention, that's really insulting to the adoptees-your friend is treating them like some sort of doll that can just be passed around. The reality is, unless the adoptee is healthy, young and (usually) white, there's a very low chance of the adoptee finding a home.

user posted image

I'll just leave this example of what I think a perfect response is here.

Like loving parents are always there just around the corner. rolleyes.gif Not to mention, that's really insulting to the adoptees-your friend is treating them like some sort of doll that can just be passed around. The reality is, unless the adoptee is healthy, young and (usually) white, there's a very low chance of the adoptee finding a home.

That's what I thought. Not to mention even if that did happen- it's my body. If I don't really want to carry my child to term who are you to say I have to?

Without a legal contract, nothing stops birthmom from having a change of heart and taking the baby back from the loving parents around the corner.

LOLOLOL. No. Just. NO. She's completely wrong there. It pretty much never happens. Cases where it has/does are rare, as far as I know. It just...doesn't really work that way.

Free? Seriously? Does she think there's a pre-natal vitamin and ultrasound faerie visiting pregnant women? Are there magical baby-delivering pixies that take care of the cost of giving birth?

It is most certainly not "free". Ever. That doesn't even take the adoption system into account, which may be "free" but is not anything like healthy for a child. And no. No, they don't often "just give the baby over right away" unless there's some kind of seriously shady/outright illegal stuff going down, like selling a baby or strongarming some unfortunate woman into handing her kid over without going through actual legal channels to do so. That situation, as 7Deadly$ins says, leaves the door wide open for the birth mother to take her baby back, with no legal recourse for the adoptive parents. It's neither simple nor easy in any case, no matter how the adoption is done, but especially not when there's no actual legal contract involved.

Edited by LascielsShadow

user posted image

I'll just leave this example of what I think a perfect response is here.

That is - AWESOME ! Thanks smile.gif

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/b..._n_1818285.html

Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association, a conservative Christian group, said that Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) was "absolutely right" to claim that women cannot become pregnant from "legitimate rape."

The host of the talk radio show Focal Point said that the trauma from a “real, genuine rape, a case of forcible rape” would make it "difficult" for a woman to conceive a child, Right Wing Watch notes.

"There's a very delicate and complex mix of hormones that take place -- that are released -- in a woman's body, and if that gets interfered with, it may make it impossible for her or difficult in that particular circumstance to conceive a child," Fischer said during his show Monday.

"That's all Todd Akin is saying...and he's absolutely right about that," he continued.

-snip-

However, leading experts on reproductive health have dismissed this logic as unfounded.

“There are no words for this -- it is just nuts,” said Dr. Michael Greene, a professor of obstetrics, gynecology and reproductive biology at Harvard Medical School.

Dr. David Grimes, a clinical professor in obstetrics and gynecology at the University of North Carolina, told the New York Times that “to suggest that there’s some biological reason why women couldn’t get pregnant during a rape is absurd.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/21/brya...rcible-assault/

“Everybody is gang tackling Todd Akin,” he said on his radio program, after noting several prominent conservatives had called for Akin to drop his bid for Senate.

“Now you can talk about a forcible situation, you talk about somebody being a victim of forcible assault, that would be Todd Akin,” Fischer added.

Yeah, when it's the MENZ who are being criticized, it's suddenly forcible assault! Will somebody please think of the menz?

(Obviously I'm not talking about every man here, but it seems like some people have that mindset. I'm talking about those men.)

Edited by ylangylang

Some people are *incredibly* stupid mad.gif (there are other words I would use to describe that man, but they involve a lot of censor kips).

I am torn between wanting to stop these people from ever speaking out again and wanting them to keep saying what's on their minds so that we can expose them for their stupidness and encourage their rivals to win.

I am not sure people will do anything until they get the laws passed. Here in Texas, the anti-abortion crusade has gotten 60+ women's health clinics closed already and are gunning for more. Most of which did NOT provide abortions. All those medical health personal that devoted their lives to helping the poor and disadvantaged and getting their jobs cut and tossed on the street. What's ironic, the new big hospitals where they may find a new job, well they are catholic etc. So, if they want a new job they may have to work for an employer that is allowed to discriminate against their own ability to get health care.

One Year Later in Texas

the bipartisan Legislative Budget Board estimated that last year's cuts would lead to more than 250,000 women losing services and 20,000 additional births covered by Medicaid.

Of course, the other thing that is happening is women are going across the border to try to get help for ending a pregnancy. And in some cases, failing badly at it.

“If I see that a girl is too young, I won’t sell it,” he said, citing stories he had heard of girls hemorrhaging after using the pills. “I try my best to explain the consequences, but there’s only so much I can do.”

Like many Progreso pharmacy workers, Acosta does not hold a pharmacy degree or a license but is allowed under Mexican law to dispense Cytotec. Asked about the proper dosage, he reluctantly suggested that patients take one pill every two hours — 18 tablets in all.

According to the World Health Organization, the recommended dosage of misoprostol, if used alone for an abortion, should be four tablets (800 micrograms) every three hours for a total of three doses, or 12 tablets.

Gabriel Noguez, who works in a pharmacy down the street from Acosta and is also untrained, said his shop sold Cytotec for $241.80 per box.

Looking to Mexico

Matthew 25: 35 apparently doesn't apply in Texas:

‘For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; (36) naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ (37)“Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? (38)‘And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? (39)‘When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ (40)“The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

I seriously can't believe that people criticizing Todd Akin on the internet (for being demonstrably wrong) are being likened to rapists/assaulters.

Wait, yes I can. And it's disgusting.

Newsflash, conservatives: if a woman is already ovulating, she's already ovulating. There are no such things as magical hormones that stop rape pregnancies.

Are these the same people who think the Harry Potter books are evil? Because they seem to think magic works in real life.

I think your friend's source of information is TV. I don't know how many times I've seen some young character end up pregnant and realizing she can't have the baby. She contacts some adoption agency and comes in contact of this loving married couple who can't have babies of their own. They always live in the suburb in a big house, he works as a doctor and she works as a bank manager and they have huuuge salaries so they can afford a baby. They pay for the pre-natal care and the pregnancy and delivary are all rainbows and unicorns. The couple finally get their healthy baby and the young character can go back to collage. And they all lived happily ever after.

It's called fiction. dry.gif

I think your friend's source of information is TV. I don't know how many times I've seen some young character end up pregnant and realizing she can't have the baby. She contacts some adoption agency and comes in contact of this loving married couple who can't have babies of their own. They always live in the suburb in a big house, he works as a doctor and she works as a bank manager and they have huuuge salaries so they can afford a baby. They pay for the pre-natal care and the pregnancy and delivary are all rainbows and unicorns. The couple finally get their healthy baby and the young character can go back to collage. And they all lived happily ever after.

It's called fiction. dry.gif

It's sad that people see this on TV and think "Oh! It's so easy! Pregnant women can just do the same thing! Because there are exactly the same amount of unwanted babies being born as there are rich, loving families that want them."

It's sickening. They've probably never even bothered to look at REAL adoption statistics or been able to speak to someone who's had to go through the ordeal of either putting their child up for adoption or living in an orphanage/foster home/shelter.

It's called fiction.  dry.gif

I tried to tell her that, but she said that someone that she knows got the baby right away. dry.gif

Edited by Snowytoshi

I tried to tell her that, but she said that someone that she knows got the baby right away. dry.gif

Well, ask her to prove it. To show you the family. People with an agenda always know someone who did whatever they think everyone else ought to do !

Juno WAS a bit unrealistic ! GREAT soundtrack though xd.png

You CAN adopt a baby at birth. It isn't without it's legal contracts, and it isn't just "handing it over" either. It's a possible situation, but the logistics of it aren't what your friend seems to think. Nor is it especially common.

You CAN adopt a baby at birth. It isn't without it's legal contracts, and it isn't just "handing it over" either. It's a possible situation, but the logistics of it aren't what your friend seems to think. Nor is it especially common.

From what I understand, I was taken home by my adoptive parents shortly after I was born.

This was, of course, after them trying to adopt for years, and being lucky enough to be on the right agency's list at the right time. They didn't just walk into a hospital and go "Hey, we want a baby. Any that were just born that the mother doesn't want? Great! We'll take that one!"

There was a lot involved, as you said. And it certainly wasn't "right away" as in they just decided to adopt and got a baby. There was a whole lot of waiting and money involved.

So anybody who thinks it is just "handing it over" is, honestly, very stupid IMO.

It's sad that people see this on TV and think "Oh! It's so easy! Pregnant women can just do the same thing! Because there are exactly the same amount of unwanted babies being born as there are rich, loving families that want them."

It's sickening. They've probably never even bothered to look at REAL adoption statistics or been able to speak to someone who's had to go through the ordeal of either putting their child up for adoption or living in an orphanage/foster home/shelter.

Well, considering people watch TV and then assume you can erase a person from a picture to see what's behind them, or turn them around to see their face...

Not surprising, people in America are stupid. sleep.gif'

I am torn between wanting to stop these people from ever speaking out again and wanting them to keep saying what's on their minds so that we can expose them for their stupidness and encourage their rivals to win.

Same, though I'm worried about the people who'd still support them/agree with them...

“Now you can talk about a forcible situation, you talk about somebody being a victim of forcible assault, that would be Todd Akin,” Fischer added.

asdfjkl;

Way to totally downgrade and pacify rape and help spread complete falsehoods.

I also found this:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/8vfXgq/www.m...-shauna-prewitt

When some rape victims do choose to give birth to a child conceived through sexual assault, they find that the legal door is left wide open for their victimization to continue. It sounds unfathomable, but in many states the law makes it possible for rapists to assert their parental rights and use custody proceedings as a weapon against their victims.

at least 27 states have no statutes to protect the mothers of rape-conceived children.

I was horrified about this; literally horrified. This is in 2012. Why does this happen?

Another link to Shauna Prewitt. Cos for me the stumbleupon link above won't work !

THIS is - well, not a gem, but...

If EVER there were an absolute reason not to carry to term the child conceived as a result of rape, the idea of being forced to share custody with your rapist would do it for me.

UNBELIEVABLE.

Edited by fuzzbucket