Bear

Abortion

Abortion's a choice.

It depends on if you want the baby in your life.

There are those who didn't want the baby at all, but the baby was forced upon them.

Then there are those who are horrible people and care only about their appearance.

It all really depends on the situation.

I'm going to address this point by point, as a social worker.

Abortion is wrong in my opinion cuz who are you to decide if a child lives or dies.

That could be said either way. Who are the politicians to say that a child must be forced into this world against what the parents believe to be in that child's best interests?

if you dont want the baby there are pleanty of people who would love to have it. there are many couples that cant have children of their own who would love to have a new baby girl or boy so my OPINION is that if your pregnant have the baby and if you dont want it give it to someone else.

The majority of people who want children are unable to adopt, and as it is, only 2-3% of children given up at birth to be adopted through the state are actually adopted. Adoption costs the birth mothers tens of thousands of dollars.

even an embryo can be classified as a baby.

No it can't. There is no guarantee that an embryo can become a person until after the legal cut-off for abortion. If it becomes a tumor or a parasitic mass, it cannot become a baby.

life shouldnt be thrown away even if its just an egg and sperm in their mating phase.

So people shouldn't have tumors removed? Tumors are alive. And fetuses can become tumors.

i understand that the adoption center is flawed but the only way for it to get better is by supporting pro life so that the adoption centers can get more funding so that they can buy better equipment and more caregivers.

Pro-life legislation TAKES 2.3 MILLION away from adoption reform and state care facilities, drops the number of people able to be certified and means we wouldn't have enough social workers to go around even if there were no limits on how many hours we are allowed to work.

just because you dont want the child to live doesnt mean that you should be able to choose to kill it.

What if it is what is in the best interests of the child? What then?

ut why should the child suffer just because some man forced himself on you.

Do you know the kind of torture it is to carry a rape baby to term? Or how hard it is on the CHILD to know that they are a rape baby? Did you know that most rape babies will kill themselves before age ten if they are aware of how they were conceived?

Phobias: thats what drugs are for xd.png.png to keep you knocked out till the whole painful process is over so you dont remember a moment of it xd.png.png

27,000 women attempt suicide every year because of pregnancy.

but i thought women were suppose to be nurturing and caring for children.

Cultural fallacy.

my mother never once said that she wished i was never born.

You're lucky, I see hundreds every year who are told that.

i just believe that they shouldnt be the one to decide weather a child being either embryo kid in the oven or kid running around should be killed. a child is a child and has every right to live as the mother or the doctors in the room.

Why? When there is no guarantee that that embryo will become a person?

If a fetus holds down and strangles its twin, should it then be killed? It took a life, after all.

What about if one twin eats the other? What then?

What if the embryo becomes a tumor, with heart and lungs, but can never be a baby? Should it never be removed?

What about if it becomes a parasitic mass that will kill the mother?

What about if it becomes a calcified mass?

There is no guarantee that a fetus can become a baby until AFTER the legal cutoff on abortion.

No, it can't. An embryo is by definition, NOT a baby. It's not even a fetus. It has the potential to become a baby. It also has the potential to become a tumour.

Oh, please. The "what if it was going to be the next president!!?!!1?" nonsense. What if it was? What if was going to be the next Hitler? Who CARES? And what about the dreams and ideals of the woman carrying it? Do they not matter? Do you not care about the fact that the woman impregnated is innocent as well?

Good god. Have you ever BEEN the victim of incest? It's not "an unfortunate mistake or choice". Being raped or molested by a family member is not like a bad haircut or getting an ugly tattoo or running into a tree.

Do you realise that a LOT of victims of incest are underage? Are you seriously arguing that a CHILD or teenage victim should have to be further victimised by carrying their abuser's child to term? Are you aware that that could literally kill an underage girl? Do you care at all about the effects on her? Do you think that she wouldn't be traumatised enough without piling on an unwanted pregnancy? If you want I can tell you firsthand what it's like to be an incest survivor. I was never raped, but it was pretty freaking traumatic anyway. I don't think I'd have survived if that had ever happened, because I was a somewhat sickly child. (High blood pressure-pregnancy probably would have killed me.)

You honestly think it would be somehow acceptable to drug a woman up for nine months so she couldn't object to being used as an incubator? That could kill both mother and child, or cause horrific birth defects. Oh, also, THAT'S COMPLETELY HORRIFIC. You realise that pregnancy and childbirth are not magical processes that do not permanently alter a woman's body, yeah? It's pretty well impossible to "forget" gestating and birthing a child, especially if you've been treated like livestock for the duration.

Yes.

Not only do I have a very low pain tolerance, I am also extremely emetophobic (fear of vomiting). The morning sickness that accompanies (most) pregnancies would be too much for me to handle. It disgusts me how "pro-lifers" think "well it's okay you can take drugs!" or "At least you'll have a PRESHUSSS NEW LIFE after you've gone through severe psychological distress!"

All they do is focus on bringing the child into the world without a single regard to the woman's health. And then they preach adoption while AT THE SAME TIME demanding that funding be cut for child care/support programs.

"Yes! Let's make sure every baby is born (even if the mother can't afford to take care of the child) but stop all government aid because if she's poor, she shouldn't have gotten herself pregnant in the first place!"

Durr.

All they do is focus on bringing the child into the world without a single regard to the woman's health. And then they preach adoption while AT THE SAME TIME demanding that funding be cut for child care/support programs.

"Yes! Let's make sure every baby is born (even if the mother can't afford to take care of the child) but stop all government aid because if she's poor, she shouldn't have gotten herself pregnant in the first place!"

Durr.

Part of the issue with this is how many of those women abuse the system. In my hometown there are people who will have baby after baby after baby with the intent to get more welfare/federal aid, because the more children you have the more money you get. And you'd be aghast at how many of these girls are teens and in high school and subsequently drop out and subsist entirely on welfare.

What I'd like to see in regards to this is not funding cuts, but I'd like to see - at least for teen moms - is free daycare so they can complete school. Even more so, I'd also like to see mandatory job training, because even if you can't get a job now if you have some skills you have a greater change of getting a job later.

Pro-life legislation TAKES 2.3 MILLION away from adoption reform and state care facilities, drops the number of people able to be certified and means we wouldn't have enough social workers to go around even if there were no limits on how many hours we are allowed to work.

Isn't there already a shortage of social workers?

And I didn't know anti-choice legislation took away money from adoption reform and stuff. Why does no one else realize the self-contradictions here D:

but i thought women were suppose to be nurturing and caring for children.

No, that's the way society wants to believe we all are. That's the way society wants us to be.

But the fact of the matter is that it doesn't work that way. Women cannot be generalized like this. I, for one, cannot stand children younger than 10, and that's still pushing it.

if you dont want the baby there are pleanty of people who would love to have it.

...Not really. And last I checked, most people only want to adopt babies (specifically, healthy white babies) and won't go for older children. But even then not all babies get adopted.

Plus it's stupidly hard to meet the requirements to actually adopt a baby, IIRC.

Incest: again i know its wrong and its proven that defects happen in children born from said union but again not the childs fault so why should it die because of an unfortunate mistake or choice?

Why should it be forced to live only to be bullied and ridiculed for the remainder of its life just because it's got a defect? :/ And the really sad part about that is that it's almost guaranteed to happen.

i love women i love everything about them. i dont understand some of them but i thought women were suppose to be nurturing and caring for children.

xd.png

This comment made me laugh rather than being offended! You are quite stereotypical aren't you? Yeah, right, we're suppose to be nurturing. Then call me a glitch in society. Let's see, I have a short temper and get annoyed VERY easily, particaularly by screeching of a child. I only have to listen to that for like 5 minutes in a store. The people WITH the child would have to listen to that incessantly. If that were me I'd go balistic, literally. This is because of my temper though. I lack the ability to deal with that completely. If all women are suppose to be nurturing then explain why most here are contradicting your views.

I can't think of the other thing I was going to add to this...oh well.

Edited by BlightWyvern

Phobias: thats what drugs are for xd.png.png.png to keep you knocked out till the whole painful process is over so you dont remember a moment of it xd.png.png.png

And then this happens.

I'm scared to think of what would do the drugs needed to knock out a woman for nine months.

if you dont want the baby there are pleanty of people who would love to have it.

Stop watching Juno and join us in the real word. If there were that many people willing to adopt a real child, instead of just praying for it, adoption sistem wouldn't have this many problems. And what's more there would be less abortions. Multiple people on this thread said that they would go with abortion instead of adoption because a big percentage of kids put up for adoption will have horrible lives.

i love women i love everything about them. i dont understand some of them but i thought women were suppose to be nurturing and caring for children.

I'm another one of those women that can't stand small kids. I don't hate them - but ask of me to watch over them for half an hour and I will run away as fast as I can.

Do you remember chestburster from alien? That's my first mental picture of giving birth. Do not get me started on pregnacy itself.

Isn't there already a shortage of social workers?

And I didn't know anti-choice legislation took away money from adoption reform and stuff. Why does no one else realize the self-contradictions here D:

Yes, there is. It's a hard career. There aren't a lot of people who can handle it.

Because a lot of people start talking about consequences and punishments, and they want to force people to keep the babies, irregardless.

Alright, let's stay away from telling other people how they feel, thank you. There are ways to address posts you find inaccurate without doing so.

When I didn't know what abortion was, my mother sat me down and told me the basic process and why I saw people protesting on the side of the road and why abortion was wrong because it killed babies. If I'm not mistaken, I'd say my mother is against abortion. So my first impression was abortion=bad. I mean, oh, poor babies! They don't ever get a chance to live!

Only now I'm thinking oh, poor mothers. Everyone is so against abortion that if this was really their solution, if they got pregnant at 17, if they really are not ready for motherhood, whatever the reason, they would probably be conflicted about getting an abortion done. I know I would be.

Women have a right to their bodies and what they do with it. Women (should) have the right to choose when NOT to have a child, just like they have the right to choose when they want to have a child. Getting pregnant. Getting unpregnant. Women have the right.

Yeah, morals make people feel a little sympathy for the babies being aborted, but honestly the sympathy should first be directed to the mother for why she would want the abortion. Yes, the possibility of a new life is supposed to be this happy, blessed thing, but sometimes it is not the answer. Sometimes it needs undoing. And I support this.

Abortion's a choice.

It depends on if you want the baby in your life.

There are those who didn't want the baby at all, but the baby was forced upon them.

Then there are those who are horrible people and care only about their appearance.

It all really depends on the situation.

? Pardon ?

If that actually MEANS what it sounds like - for the record, I did NOT have the abortion I did have because I give (or gave) a flying TOSS about my appearance, and I later went on to have two children who were planned and loved (well, OK the first wasn't exactly planned for that point in time, but still.)

For me to have had the clump of cells I got rid of grow into a baby would have been disastrous, for it and for me. The reasons that would have been a disaster are nothing to do with anyone but me (though given the post in this thread I will say it was neither the result of incest not of rape.)

I made that choice. For MY body and for MY situation. It was the right choice. I know that with all my heart. That is all anyone needs to know.

When I didn't know what abortion was, my mother sat me down and told me the basic process and why I saw people protesting on the side of the road and why abortion was wrong because it killed babies. If I'm not mistaken, I'd say my mother is against abortion. So my first impression was abortion=bad. I mean, oh, poor babies! They don't ever get a chance to live!

Yeah, morals make people feel a little sympathy for the babies being aborted, but honestly the sympathy should first be directed to the mother for why she would want the abortion. Yes, the possibility of a new life is supposed to be this happy, blessed thing, but sometimes it is not the answer. Sometimes it needs undoing. And I support this.

My father's tried talking to me about it, using the rediculous soul argument. I had no interest in it and made it clear that I wasn't on his "side". Though I do wonder how he would feel if I myself was raped and in danger of the pregnancy

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entr...e-court-reverse

Mitt Romney was diplomatic in his response to questions about abortion and Roe v. Wade in an interview on "Meet the Press" Sunday, saying he is pro-life and prefers that the Supreme Court will overturn Roe. Democrats made their pro-choice position a centerpiece of their convention in Charlotte earlier this week.

"I recognize there are two lives involved: the mom and the unborn child," Romney said. "And I believe that people of good conscience have chosen different paths in this regard. But I am pro-life and will intend, if I'm president of the United States, to encourage pro-life policies."

Romney declined to say he would "fight" for Roe v. Wade to be overturned, saying instead it was up to the Supreme Court.

"Well, I don't actually make the decision the Supreme Court makes and so they'll have to make their own decision. But, for instance, I'll reverse the president's decision on using U.S. funds to pay for abortion outside this country. I don't think also the taxpayers here should have to pay for abortion in this country.

Those things I think are consistent with my pro-life position. And I hope to appoint justices for the Supreme Court that will follow the law and the constitution. And it would be my preference that they reverse Roe V. Wade and therefore they return to the people and their elected representatives the decisions with regards to this important issue."

rolleyes.gif

Oh, and this.

TRIGGER WARNING FOR ABLEIST COMMENTS

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2010/02/...abled-abortion/

Title of the article is- Virginia lawmaker: Children with disabilities are God’s punishment to women who previously had abortions.

That should be explanation enough.

Edited by ylangylang

Title of the article is- Virginia lawmaker: Children with disabilities are God’s punishment to women who previously had abortions.

Oh my !

I'm deaf. I had NO IDEA my mother had had an abortion. I must ask her...

xd.png (Maybe it doesn't count if you go deaf (from a genetic thingy) in your 20s ??? or maybe she had a very early abortion so didn't have to be punished THAT much ?? i.e. only after I left home ?)

As for my my sister who cared lovingly for her PVS daughter for 22 YEARS. Oh we are such an evil family....

Oh my !

I'm deaf. I had NO IDEA my mother had had an abortion. I must ask her...

xd.png (Maybe it doesn't count if you go deaf (from a genetic thingy) in your 20s ??? or maybe she had a very early abortion so didn't have to be punished THAT much ?? i.e. only after I left home ?)

As for my my sister who cared lovingly for her PVS daughter for 22 YEARS. Oh we are such an evil family....

I dunno Fuzz, that puts you up there with Beethoven, so maybe it's like a fifty fifty thing. Kinda like a "hmmm should I punish this woman? Okay but sorta." A slap on the wrist, if you will!

I've a confession to make! My family is evil too! My mom had a miscarriage, so it's technically not an abortion, but she was also cursed with a disabled baby that later died. I guess that's punishment enough for her failure as a baby incubator!

I couldn't stop sobbing as I read this article. mad.gifcensorkip.gif you, Mr. Bob Marshall.

Edited by ylangylang

Mine too! My mom had a miscarriage, so it's technically not an abortion, but she was also cursed with a disabled baby that later died. I guess that's punishment enough for her failure as a baby incubator!

I couldn't stop sobbing as I read this. mad.gifcensorkip.gif you, Mr. Bob Marshall.

Hugs ! I'm afraid I was just giggling. If you knew my mother you would know why....

But - um - Roosevelt ? OK not BORN disabled, but surely... xd.png

Hugs ! I'm afraid I was just giggling. If you knew my mother you would know why....

But - um - Roosevelt ? OK not BORN disabled, but surely... xd.png

Oh yeah, I was being sarcastic too, and I was upset at the article and not at you. Hug <3

Anyways, I guess Roosevelt, among with Beethoven, countless writers and artists, Christopher Reeve (I guess that's a latent thing but still) they're all god's curses to the world.

I dunno Fuzz, that puts you up there with Beethoven, so maybe it's like a fifty fifty thing. Kinda like a "hmmm should I punish this woman? Okay but sorta." A slap on the wrist, if you will!

Oddly enough my condition is identical with Beethoven's.... though I am not stone deaf - yet.

Oddly enough my condition is identical with Beethoven's.... though I am not stone deaf - yet.

Good to hear that it's fine at least for now. Seriously I am sick and tired of right wing politicians making censorkip.gifcensorkip.gif comments about women and their bodies, about biology, about genetics, etc and just lump them under "God won't/will let this happen"!

Edited by ylangylang

WhatisthisIdon'teven....

So women who make a choice about their own body derserve to get punished. /sarcasm rolleyes.gif

There is nothing wrong with abortion or disabled children. And I really hate how he pretty much calls the kids a "punishment". dry.gif

Someone needs to give him a good whack across the face with a cactus.

WhatisthisIdon'teven....

So women who make a choice about their own body derserve to get punished. /sarcasm  rolleyes.gif 

There is nothing wrong with abortion or disabled children. And I really hate how he pretty much calls the kids a "punishment".  dry.gif

Someone needs to give him a good whack across the face with a cactus.

Well, of course. Evidently, babies are consequences/punishment one way or another. Have an abortion, a disabled child is the punishment. (Which...massive, massive amounts of WTF.) Get pregnant and the baby is a "consequence" consequence/punishment for not behaving the way a particular group thinks you should. No abortion for you, because that's the "easy" way out. BUT ALL CHILDREN ARE A BLESSING 100% OF THE TIME, you know!

I laughed way too hard at the idea of whacking him across the face with a cactus. xd.png

Edited by LascielsShadow

I laughed way too hard at the idea of whacking him across the face with a cactus. xd.png

This is a very appealing thought!

My younger brother was born with autism and I'm my mother's first child.

Please explain this for me, Bob Marshall. :3

Edited by HeroLink42

This is a very appealing thought!

Poor cactus though sad.gif if I was a cactus I wouldn't want to touch him. Too foul and dirty for me.

But, uh, what would that make me?

I was the first child to my birth parents, and they had to put me up for adoption because they couldn't care for me. But, at the time, we didn't know I would have various health issues and disabilities. So, my parents adopted me, thinking I was healthy (they don't care, and wouldn't have cared, mind you, if they'd somehow known, which is nice). I'm their first child, too, and my mom couldn't have gotten an abortion because she's infertile.

So, uh... Am I a punishment for my birth mother somehow having some abortion maybe (entirely possible, though, since I don't know her history, just that I'm the first child she gave birth to apparently), or a punishment for my adoptive parents who wouldn't have been able to have an abortion?

HEY I SHOULD ASK HIM MAYBE HE CAN EXPLAIN IT. xd.png

Edited by KageSora
extremely outdated wording lmao

OOH OOH I THINK KNOW THE ANSWER! Anyone who has a disabled child after having had an abortion, or is a disabled child of someone who has had an abortion, well they're/you're the punishment for that. Those of you who are disabled children of people who haven't, well...either your parents are being punished in place of someone else (one of those evol ladeez who haven't had children after having an abortion) because of the mere existence of abortion OR your parents are being punished because of the existence/tolerance of teh ghey.

</trolllogic>