Bear

Abortion

Oh, have a heart, AngelKitty. Surely at least most of us in this thread are pro wanted babies and giving them a good life after they are born - if the woman's choice is that they should BE born ?

You want your unplanned and not allowed to be aborted baby, born maybe as as the result of rape, to have to live with one of them on top of everything else ????

That's just cruelty to children. I believe it is called child abuse.

Haha, true.

Still, my point was, you're not going to see most of the Newt Gingriches and Paul Ryans of the world adopting any unwanted babies, despite screaming for their birth.

Edited by AngelKitty

A woman doesn't own a child, no matter what stage of pregnancy. It's not just men who think abortion is wrong. I don't think someone should kill a baby. And yes, it IS a baby. And some people say the child wouldn't have a good life. Wouldn't you rather have a life, then no life at all?

And I would say those who are callous about women and callous about the reasons women have abortions ought to be forced to bear the burden of their callousness and their indifference. That means every baby they force to be born should be given to an anti-choicer.

But that won't happen, because once it's out of uterus, it's out of mind. rolleyes.gif

Agreed. But if we do that, most of those babies will be given over to men. Because...expert commenters on abortion, women’s issues are…mostly men. rolleyes.gif

There's actually a study that shows this-http://thesocietypages.org/graphicsociology/2012/08/30/expert-commenters-on-abortion-womens-issues-are-mostly-men/

user posted image

I hope that they're experts in the sense that they are doctors, qualified scientists, physicians, etc rather than shady "doctors" that people like Todd Akin quotes from. If the latter is true, I don't see how this is different from 1800 physicians making assertions about "how the womb makes women less intelligent" and so on.

A woman doesn't own a child, no matter what stage of pregnancy.
Zygote=/=child.

I don't think someone should kill a baby. And yes, it IS a baby.
No it's not. It can be a zygote or a fetus. That's quite different from being a baby. If I told you I had a "disappearing twin" would that make me a cannibal? No. Because at that stage fetus=/=person.

Wouldn't you rather have a life, then no life at all?
There's actually plenty of people who would rather have no life. I believe there was a site link somewhere earlier in this thread. Edited by ylangylang

A woman doesn't own a child, no matter what stage of pregnancy. It's not just men who think abortion is wrong. I don't think someone should kill a baby. And yes, it IS a baby. And some people say the child wouldn't have a good life. Wouldn't you rather have a life, then no life at all?

1) It's a baby IN YOUR OPINION. Others have different thoughts and feelings on the subject. (And that "baby" could, at any point, turn into a tumor or be spontaneously aborted.)

2) "No life at all" is better than a life miserable, deprived and abusive enough that the child tries drinking bleach or jumping off a bridge to commit suicide. If you haven't been at that point of emotional suffering I honestly don't believe you can comprehend it, and therefore have no call to go making glib statements about it. (I grew up in that sort of traumatic situation, and believe me, there were many days during my childhood and most of my adulthood that I sincerely wished I'd never been born.)

Edited by prairiecrow

Not necessarily. It would depend very much on the life. As MANY in this thread have already said.

No-one is saying you have to have an abortion. Pro-choice means those of us who do NOT feel the way that you do having that choice - not to carry to term a baby who is unwanted; to be able to have a clump of cells removed while it is still not REMOTELY viable as a person. To decide for themselves - not based on the views of others.

Haha, true.

Still, my point was, you're not going to see most of the Newt Gingriches and Paul Ryans of the world adopting any unwanted babies, despite screaming for their birth.

This is why I get annoyed at the term "pro-life" (among other reasons). Because most "pro-lifers" I've come in contact with are pro-BIRTH rather than "pro-life." They wouldn't adopt the babies they want to force women to carry to term.

I also have a feeling that a lot of "pro-lifers" are also unaware of how bad the adoption system really is, if they say that adoption is a viable alternative; tbh I didn't know it was so bad until I came into this thread and read some of Shiny's links. I wonder how many people would be pro-choice if information on the adoption system and its (terrible) shortfalls was more readily publicized, because that information is something incredibly relevant to the abortion debate.

You're right, it's not just men. But if you'll notice most of the big names - especially from the governmental standpoint - are indeed male. While I respect a man's right to an opinion, at the same time I also sort of feel that males have no place in a debate over a woman's uterine rights. Men will never experience pregnancy and some, like Akin, are horribly misinformed (and the doctor who informed him needs to be freaking stripped of medical licensure :I) on women's reproduction.

And there are times when women who are anti-choice will still get an abortion because they would rather not face the consequences they would so readily force on other women. Which is really, really sad (it's even sadder that sometimes they'll also continue to vilify the women who are pro-choice and getting their own abortion). Someone posted a good link a while back of some stories about this.

It's only a baby past a certain point. /scientistmode In fact, the zygote is not even called an embryo until day 6, when it actually reaches the uterus and implants in the uterine wall. Before that, it's called a zygote, and then reaches blastocyst stage at around day 5 after conception. It may be a baby in your opinion but it isn't in mine.

In regards to your last two sentences:

But that's exactly the problem. Many children don't get a good life. =/

Some people truly would rather have no life. I personally like being alive - but that is how I feel about me and I cannot ever speak that for someone else.

"Lol, so I probably shouldn't mention that I also believe women shouldn't be in positions of higher power, right?"

It sickens me when women try to make it harder for other women by encouraging inequality.

^That reminds me of the two teenage girls I met who looked at a bust of Beethoven and thought it was a bust of Sigmund Freud, the guy who invented psychology.

Anyway, what they said is a load of BS. But, what do I know? I'm just a walking incubator that can't get pregnant unless I want to. tongue.gif

Sigmund Freud did not invent psychology. He is a major contributor to the field but he did not invent it. Psychology has its roots all the way back to Aristotle.

=====

It's disgusting, IMHO. Why? Why do women always try to sabotage one another? Is it because they were taught to be that way, and taught by men to accept that their role is not to be in a "higher position" than a man? I don't get it... It makes the woman in me rage.

This probably has its roots in evolution itself (provided you believe in or at least accept evolution). Women compete just as much as men for suitable mate, sometimes even more so, because women are more hardwired to find a suitable mate - i.e., not an idiot and someone who is likely to stick around with kids and protect them. Women have traditionally not been the ones who went out and hunted and whatnot.

But in this day and age one would think we could move past all that. It's disappointing to see women acting that way when we've moved up so much in the world since the feminist movement and whatnot. =/

And some people say the child wouldn't have a good life. Wouldn't you rather have a life, then no life at all?

Hrrrm hedeerppedeerrpp i don't know! Let's ask the thousands that have killed themselves in the system and the thousands that say they wish they were dead and aborted before brith.

Do you look into things? It's pretty surprising and depressing that this is what the majority of children do in the system and almost all pro-lifers have no idea.

I'm just disgusted. I'm disgusted so much I can't think straight. (That or I'm really tired, one of the two)

How can people think like that? Can they not put two and two together? What the hell happened to common sense, basic logic and reasoning?

I'm pretty sure reasoning, logic and common sense got left out of Romneybot's last firmware update along with empathy and any ability to blend in with the human population. The rest of them are probably just not that good at critical thinking. (Maybe they're following the Texas teaching model?)

The USA: where you should be able choose how to feel about abortion, but not to actually have one, because FREEDOM!

Edited by LascielsShadow

I'm just disgusted. I'm disgusted so much I can't think straight. (That or I'm really tired, one of the two)

How can people think like that? Can they not put two and two together? What the hell happened to common sense, basic logic and reasoning?

Oh yeah, on an off note;

I had my band auditions last Friday. Apparently a group of 'pro-life' people are trying to raise money for an anti-abortion protest somewhere.

dry.gif

...And someone else got another pro-birth bumper sticker for their van.

Try telling them, "Hey! Lets use that raised money to go feed some children descent meals in the system! Instead of wasting it on a pointless protest!"

A woman doesn't own a child, no matter what stage of pregnancy.

I don't think anyone is saying she "owns" anything.

And yes, it IS a baby.

There is no guarantee it can be person, so if it is a baby, then what? If it becomes a tumor, is it still a baby? After all, it still has the same DNA and is still alive. What about a parasitic mass? Still alive, but can't become a human. In both these cases, some will still even have heartbeats months later.

And some people say the child wouldn't have a good life. Wouldn't you rather have a life, then no life at all?

No. I don't believe in playing roulette with the life of an actual human being, and I've said repeatedly that I wish my mother would have chosen abortion.

The majority of children in the foster system originally given up for adoption, do in fact, wish they were aborted and have stated so on multiple occasions to licensed social workers. I myself hear it about three times a month.

Edited by ShinyTomato

user posted image

I wish people wouldn't say that men have no place in having opinions on women reproductive rights. Just say "brainwashed morons", it covers much more ground and doesn't disclude intelligent perspectives from anyone with a y chromosome. =p

Yep, that's the one! Thanks for finding that <3

@Vhale: that picture you posted isn't working :<

user posted image

I THINK that works....

I can't see that video from the UK sad.gif

I can't see that video from the UK sad.gif

Really? The vid is brilliant.

It's a clip from The Daily Show with a woman interviewing various people at the RNC about how the party platform is "no abortion period" but Romney has stated exemptions for rape/incest and how to reconcile those two. She goes on to say things like "look at him, you know he /really/ wants that platform" and should Romney accept the platform even though it's against his own convictions; leading the people being interviewed into how it's his choice to think what he wants, how nobody can judge unless they're in that position, how America is about individuality and personal choice. Except if you have a uterus/are talking about abortion. Most of the people are stumped, a couple admitting "yeah you got a point". One guy just agreed, not sure if he got it.

/crappy summary ta-da

DAMN I want to see it sad.gif

Thanks ! I just get "Sorry this video is unavailable from your location" and if I go to the "UK VERSION" as they suggest, there are LOADS of links but none seems to get that one...

Anyone know how to copy it to youtube ??? ninja.gif .

Oops, thanks for the save Fuzz. I did a quick google on the video problem and it had a little how-to write up. Maybe this will work.

How-to

How To Watch The Daily Show And The Colbert Report If You Live In The UK

Comments

Written on January 8, 2011 by Rich Johnston in Film, Recent Updates

UK digital TV channel, More4, has dropped The Daily Show from it’s daily schedule, opting instead to just show the week-late Daily Show Global Edition once a week. FX UK has already dropped The Colbert Report. But Viacom still restricts the videos to people with British online accounts, due to some IT person still believing the UK broadcast contracts are still valid.

So, is there another way to get these all important slices of America on a timely and legalish basis*?

Possibly. And here’s how, courtesy of XtremisReaction.

First, run the Firefox browser.

Go to http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/967 and install an add-on called Modify Headers

Then once Firefox restarts, in the top menu bar go to Tools -> Modify Headers

A separate smaller window will open. Select the drop down box in the upper left and click ‘Add’

You’ll also see 3 input boxes, in the first after ‘add’ enter “X-Forwarded-For” without the quotation marks

In the second box enter “12.13.14.15″ without the quotation marks

Leave the third box empty and click the button with ‘Add’ to the right of it.

Now when you see your new filter displayed, click the ‘Configuration’ button on the bottom right.

A new General options box appears, and just click ‘Always On: Enable Modify Headers’

That’s it, you’re done, close the box, give yourself a pat on the back.

Next for the best bit, head directly to The Daily Show or ColbertNation websites, giggle with happiness and emit shouts of whooooooo like you’re in the audience when the videos come on.

UPDATE: Or, as a Little Bleeder pointed out, just use Hotspot Shield.

Viacom get the hits, as do their advertisers (and hey, I actually like seeing the US ads, it’s another occasional hit of Americana). And even though you may not be their target market, if you are holidaying in the US (three times for me this year I expect) make sure you buy some of the products advertised. Everybody wins!

Apart from More4. But that’s okay.

* I am not a lawyer and I do not play one on the internet.

WAAAAH it didn't.

Off to look at Hotspot shield....

HEY WOW that does seem to be bringing it up.... AWESOME ! Thanks (it has also played merry hell with my email but you can't win them all !

I really don't want to post these, but here are some of the stuff the republicans have come up with apparently in these few days-

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/north-...-to-make-aborti

Rick Berg, North Dakota's at-large congressman and a candidate for Senate, voted to criminalize abortion in the state as a Class AA felony, including in the case of rape or inces

I also found this mind boggling image by probably the same people who think the same thing as above. I'll link it because it stretches the page:

http://christinsanity.tumblr.com/post/3086...dopting-a-brain

Edited by ylangylang