I miss having a dog; I moved out of my parents' house last year and can't have any in my apartment (nor am I fully comfortable I could financially support a pet, yet.) Within the last year, the two dogs we'd had for 13 years were put to sleep; they were getting in pretty rough shape and it was their time.

A couple months before I moved out of my parents' house, we got a new puppy, a yellow Lab, who turns two this summer. It's nice to play with him when I visit. He's the most intelligent dog we've owned. He's mischievous, but extremely smart, and he's also quite photogenic. So far the tricks he knows are sit, shake, lay down, high-five, roll over, and he's learning "wait" - they can hold a treat by his nose and he won't take it (although he needs reminding sometimes) until they say "okay", and we want to get to the point where we can set it on his nose and step back without him eating it. Any ideas for another trick?

Excited for the first snowfall of his second winter, back in November: this dog loves snow.

user posted image

Edited by Dawnwing

Please post something interesting or unique about your dog!

I'll start: My dog is a shih tzu named Molly and I got her from the shelter when she was eight months. Unlike other dogs, she was already trained on the leash, and the only reason no one wanted her was because she needed a huge haircut!! One unique thing about my puppy is that when she hears someone laughing she starts howling, like to her when we laugh it sounds like a howl. :3

Someone go next! tongue.gif

Thanx Meg_752 and DragonSpirit009, I ordered 2 brushes off of ebay that look like they will work, one is a Furminator hand brush and the other is a de-shedder thing

Meg_752, I only order from Amazon if it has a book or something I really want, shipping to Australia is not cheap

haven't really posted about the new babies. rose (the white one) & mochi. they're sisters, they'll be a year old in july. italian greyhounds as always. theyve really helped me recover after my last dog passed away... here's some recent pictures of the beebees

user posted image

here, mochi is only a sleepy head

user posted image

they're holding hands!

Edited by Switch

In my family, I'm the only dog-person. When I was younger I had a Beagle and a Golden Retriever until my parents decided to find them new homes since they were "too much". :/

When I turned 11, I was able to convince them we were ready for another so we went to an adoption event and I found Lucky (a Japanese Spitz mix who was abused and abandoned by his previous owners). He was just perfect and made all of us so happy. Last June, he developed cancer and he had to be put him down. It was very hard but I reassure myself that he's not suffering anymore. c:

Here's a picture of him a few days before he passed.

user posted image

My family has a female 2 and a half year old German Shepherd named Xena (or Gina by me).

We got her from a family who had 4 german shepherds (3 adult males, and Xena was the youngest, smallest, and the only female).

She got skunked 2 weeks ago though! She goes after just about anything that moves in the nearby park.

She also is a fierce protector of our house. She stalks neighbours, as shown here...

Got a yorkipoo. Almost 13 and still hyper. Love him though. After getting my certification in pet nutrition, I've learned a lot about brands and food. I quickly got him off of Pedigree and put him on something *much* more nutritional. It's scary what's in some of those cheap brands..*shudders*

Anyways, Rocky, my yorkipoo loves to get on the top of the couch and flail his front legs for attention. I'm sad he's getting so old though..

This is my Alaskan Noble Companion Dog, Shiro, short for Shiranui. Plus I really love Shiro from No Game No Life. He is 4 months old. If he turns out right I'm going to cosplay him as Amaterasu and Shiranui from Okami. So I hope he grows into those ears!

user posted imageuser posted image

user posted image

I'm both a cat person and allergic to dogs, but I still love the smelly goofballs. Spitz-types, like Syaoransbear's Shiro, and sighthounds are so beautiful. Very noble looking. My aunt had the sweetest Chow-Chow; I loved him so much.

I am more of a cat person,but I also have a dog.His name is Xenon (or shortly Xeno/Zeno) and he's a Border Collie ^^

I'll post some photos when I'll repair my laptop (as I am on mobile now).

Spitz-types, like Syaoransbear's Shiro, and sighthounds are so beautiful. Very noble looking. My aunt had the sweetest Chow-Chow; I loved him so much.

Hehe he's not a spitz type, he's a puppy! laugh.gif

I can't post pictures, being on my phone at the moment, but I have a Havanese, supposedly purebred, though I don't care about that much. His name is Dylan.

I got him about 6-7 years ago, and it's a funny story how.

Basically, my dad woke my sister and I up on the weekend, and told us that our mom was sick and we had to go with him to pick up car parts from the airport because she couldn't take care of us. We both agreed (though my sister remembers arguing with him-- i don't remember that.) He drove us to the airport, and were both very confused to see our father carrying the tiny, year-old puppy. We were surprised but very happy with the entire outcome of the situation.

I adore dogs! I have since I was little. My dog's name is Maggie-- she's a Chocolate Lab/Pit Bull mix. Sweetest dog in the world. She could be surrounded by a crowd of screaming children and barely bat an eye. :3

She's a pound puppy; I got her for an early 7th birthday present. The funny thing is, she was definitely NOT what I was looking for (at that age, I REALLY wanted a puppy), and my parents and I almost got a different dog instead. I don't remember much about that dog, all I remember is that it had mismatched eyes and a sort of Husky-ish look. We were taking it out for a look when it got so excited, it jumped up on my mom and unintentionally scratched her on the chest. An accident, but mom insisted we couldn't keep a dog like that, and it was taken back inside. I almost cried. I had already gotten attached to it.

Just when I had given up hope on ever getting a dog, I saw my mom off in the distance (she had gone off to look on her own). And guess who she was leading along with the leash? Maggie, her tail a-waggin'. It was love at first sight, I'm happy to say. laugh.gif

I like dogs very much.

I'm a dog person. biggrin.gif

My dog's name is Pika (the name is Slovene tongue.gif) and she is a mix of golden retriever and german shepherd. biggrin.gif I love her very much.

I have a 4-almost 5 year old German Shepherd, Panzer. He is a former police dog and got discharged because of a heart condition (they were concerned about his performance at crime scenes. Fortunately, it won't affect his lifespan but they let him go just to be sure.) The day he came home, it was decided that he'd be my dog. We also have a Siberian husky, Dakota. He's going to be my dad's when they move to Florida.

I lost Thunder, my little border collie, who was going to be 2 years old last month. He was tied up one night when he got attacked by a coyote. Thunder was originally a stray, who would come around a few hours each day to eat and hang out with us. We were sure he had somewhat of an owner at some point because he wore a collar. I loved and still love him so much, and nothing will ever replace him.

Edited by MaskedDeath

I have a ten year old border collie and Australian cattle dog mix named Skipper. He is one of the smartest dogs i ever met.He will watch us clean the yard like pulling weeds or even taking out dead branches from bushes or tree.He then will go and start pulling them off as well. he can get a new toy i will say where is say the new cow toy he will go get it. He loves to play in the water so much i have to make him stay out of the water in fall and winter or he would just shiver while splashing the water up to catch it. He loves playing catch and is a good watch dog as well. Oh and these last few weeks he has been killing snakes in our yard yikes.I have to keep an eye on him crazy thing but i love him.

How many collars have your dog(s) gone through?

Panzer has had 5 or 6 as he grew older, lost one and chewed up two. His current one is camo with his military dog tags on it.

I absolutely love dogs <3 I've always wanted to have one of my own, but my mom's somewhat allergic to animal fur so we've never had a large pet before, only fish and turtles.

How many collars have your dog(s) gone through?

Panzer has had 5 or 6 as he grew older, lost one and chewed up two. His current one is camo with his military dog tags on it.

My German shepherd girl has gone through 3 I think, and is on her 4th

1st one - pink, it stunk so bad we got her a new one

2nd - red, same as first

3rd - black

4th - red with white bones

We switch between the black and red with bones collars so it won't stink xd.png

I have three dogs, Vegas is a lab/pointer mix(male) and 12 years old. Shorty is an 11 year old basset hound ( also male), our newest addition is a female great dane puppy, Freyja. She is now 9 months. In January we had to put down our 11 year old German Shepherd. I love my dogs, they are my family. Most days we all go for walks in the woods or at the park. Every weekend we take Freyja and Shorty to a local flea market. Vegas does get up that early and he is a bit of a scaredy cat... er, dog. We just found an off leash dog park which is great for Freyja, she really needs to run and stretch her legs.

Warning, this next part is not happy. I'll try to not be graphic.

Yesterday we took the dogs to the dog park and after only being there maybe ten minutes an other dog lunged at Shorty, who was standing right next to me. The other dog grabbed him by the back of the neck and shook him. There was no growl, no posturing, no warning. Shorty is about 45 pounds, the other dog was probably a stocky 60 pounds. I grabbed the other dog by the harness and tried pulling him up but he kept shaking Shorty. The owner grabbed her dog, then started to hit him, trying to make him let go. My boyfriend, who is like best friends with Shorty, came running up to try to help. Shorty was screaming, the owner was yelling at her dog, by BF was yelling and someone else came over to help. They were all hitting the other dog. I don't think he felt it, his head was like a brick. I told my BF to grab our water bottle and empty in the dogs face. It kind of worked, the dog let go but then grabbed and latched on again. Luckily this time it was onto Shorty's collar, which is leather with metal square rivets. After some tugging I got his collar unhooked and pulled him away. The owner pulled her dog back and he seemed fine, didn't try to get back at Shorty. The owners one finger was bleeding, I think she either broke her finger or her nail. I'm not sure. I felt bad about hitting on her dog, pulling his ears. I didn't want to hurt him, but it looked bad and Shorty was screaming. We later found out that she has only recently gotten this dog and they had been at the park for a while. Also not long before we'd gotten there a small dog snapped and tried to fight with this dog. I think the dog was over excited, tired and needed to go home. The owner also doesn't know her dog yet. Shorty has one puncture, his collar took a lot of it. Also as a basset he has a lot of loose skin. He seems sore but other wise ok. We just have to keep an eye on him. We have the owners name and number, there was a report filed. I don't really blame the other dog, he's a dog. It happens sometimes, but it's still scary as hell. It took me hours, probably a good six hours to calm down. I'm not going to let this scare me from taking the dogs out. But I will listen to myself if I have any doubts. I had thought maybe we should leave because this dog kept coming up to Shorty but Shorty pretty much just ignored him. I will still take Freyja, but think I'll leave the boys at home. They don't play with the other dogs anyway. But Freyja loves to run with the dogs.

Shorty is the dog in my avatar pic, he's laying with Kenny, my 16 year old brat.

Edited by annageckos