I've lived with dogs practically all my life.

When I was born my mum had a German Shepherd called Caesar. He was the darling of the housing block, but my mum had to give him up because he was accused of being vicious. It was actually the German Shepherd female two floors up, but good luck convincing Army housing managers that the smaller dog is a threat.

When we moved back to the UK from Germany, there was another family heading in the opposite direction. They had a Springer Spaniel/Border Collie puppy, called Brandy, that they didn't want to subject to the long quarantine (this was early 90s, before the pet passport scheme), so we said we'd take him.

He was an only dog for a while, apart from a brief stint as puppy fosterers. Then my mum came home gushing about this adorable GSD puppy she'd seen at work and how the breeders only had one of the litter left. She ended being called Lady, and was a long-coated pure black beauty.

Eventually old age caught up with Brandy, and we had to have him put to sleep. Lady pined for months and months, until we managed to find another dog she would get along with. That turned out to be Monty, a Rottweiler/unknown cross who'd been abandoned at the RSPCA twice.

They lived together happily for a while, until Lady's arthritis got so bad she was screaming in agony without end. Once again, we had to make the hard choice. Monty still hasn't forgiven us; it's a pain to get Zara out of the house without Monty trying to follow, and he's downright despondent whenever we leave her at the vets.

Zara being the latest in the line of dogs. She's a Staffordshire Bull Terrier/unknown cross, who ended up in the care of the local council. We'd been trying in vain to find a companion for Monty, but he's always been selective about other dogs. We went along to the council shelter on a whim, having seen a notice in the paper that they were overflowing and were literally giving dogs away.

And oh boy, were they. The council here boards stray and abandoned dogs at a boarding kennel. Not only were the dogs filling the council's section, but they were also in the private section, and luckily it was good enough weather to have put the horses out to pasture and put some of the larger dogs in the stables. There were even dogs in the yard owner's house. Zara was one of those.

She and Monty got along straight away. We took them for a walk together before letting them offlead in the riding school. They ran and played together... and were chased by a goose. We took Zara home that same day.

Monty's getting older now. We estimate he's about nine or ten years old. Hopefully we'll have him for a good few years yet.

Lady

Monty

Zara

I had one dog. She was part poodle and some kind of terrier. She was a good dog. We had to give her up when we flew over to Germany. We found her a good home with kids. She loved kids. Her name was Fluffy.

I have a 10 year old Brindle Boxer, and a chow mix. Love them both to bits! The boxer's name is Dozer and the mutt is Koda. Dozer isn't AKC registered, sadly...

Dogs with a name like "cockapoo" and "goldendoodle" and just excuses to charge pedigree prices for non-pedigree dogs.

Agreed an charge exhorbant prices for what one used to buy for cheap. They are just mutts with fancy names.

Not that mutts are bad because sometimes breeding one dog breed to another can possibly clear up flaws or problems in one breed, it can also give you the flaws of both dogs. But either way you are getting something that is a mix whenever you buy what is often called the designer dog. Giving it a fancy name does not mean it is a pure bred.

I myself own four dogs all fixed. An Australian Kelpie, a Mini red dapple dachshund, a terrier cross and a Silky terrier.

I wish i could have a dog.. But my Mom is deadly scared of them. She even refuses to go near our neighbour-and-friend-of-14-years's house because they got a dog..

Why don't you just start with introducing her to a puppy at a pet store... They are really harmless.

Some fears are hard to work with. I remember there was once this video that made me laugh (which I feel mostly guilty about) about a man who was so deathly afraid of dogs, he broke down into an awful mess because he was in the presence of a pitbull puppy. For one you have to find out why she is scared. Was she attacked by a rabid dog in her past? Did she see someone get attacked? Did she witness a dog kill something (small animal, other dog, cat, etc) which led her to fear dogs? Once you find out the why, try to see if maybe she is willing to go into some form of therapy to help her gain logic over her fear and maybe get over it with time.

Why don't you just start with introducing her to a puppy at a pet store... They are really harmless.

Puppies, maybe, but you can't really say that dogs are harmless.

Of course not... I know for a fact that dogs ain't that harmless. Heck I've been bitten twice by dogs and got those wonderful shots for it as well dry.gif

I'm just thinking like a puppy that is only say 4 weeks old or something. Reason why I suggest something like that is because that parenting instinct usually sets in when you see something that helpless. Of course never force a person that will just cause more problems.

I'm only suggesting something like this because the people at the veterinary university said something like that way back when I was still running around there.

On another note which is sad... Today last week was when I had to put my eldest dog down. He was so beautiful!

I have belgian sheperd, german sheperd, and golden mix. He has one ear up and one down, he is black and smart. He can sometimes turn on/off the lights. He can also sit, jump, give a paw, speak, go down, and so on.

He usually don't bark at other dogs he see outside. And he is super cute!

I have always had dogs. Currently I have a male Beagle his name is Captain Jack Sparrow but just Captain for short. We named him that because he has some awesome looking eyeliner just like Sparrow. He wasn't suppose to get real large but he surpassed his father and mother and is larger than an average Beagle. I don't know why but all our dogs are like this. They grow larger than they are suppose to be.

I don't have a dog.. If I was to get one it would have to be a small one... ( i prefer cats)

I have a dog his name is Mungo and he is a Gordon setter. Gordon Setters are big dogs which are black and tan. He is pretty pathetic as he's huge but still wants to be a lap dog. He begs all the time and wines but we still love him. biggrin.gif

I like dogs. If I had one, it would either be small and fluffy (... example), big and fluffy (like a lab), or big and not fluffy (i.e. german sheperd). But I don't have dogs, I have cats tongue.gif

I own a doberman, who I technically got to prevent my neighbors from ever wanting to invite their little kids onto my property for a 'visit'. That dog has since become one of the best things about my home. Aside from snotty little kids, he keeps alley cats and other vermin out, or kills one or two flea-bitten rubbish hunters every once in a while, making sure my trash bin is never again turned inside out, and my patio is never again pissed or crapped on, nor am I ever disturbed in the middle of the night because two felines decided to have at it.

He's always happy to see me, and I'm always happy to see him, take him for walks and generally care for him in return for the care he provides for my property.

Edited by Psyduсk

I don't have a dog, but if I did I would love the following:

(Siberian)Husky/Alaskan Malamute

Saymoyed(?)

Pomeranian

German Shepard

I don't have a dog, nor do I want one. I'm more of a cat person, but my dad won't let me have either.

Just because I don't want a dog doesn't mean I don't like them; I adore the cute little creatures ^^ But I detest mean dogs...

when you say mean dogs there is a difference. Naturally mean dogs are one thing… abused dogs are another.

One thing that annoys me is when people judge a dog by its breed. A lot of people dislike Rottweilers because they have gotten a lot of bad publicity in the past. I have a dog that has Rottweiler in him and he is extremely sweet. He is a very big dog but I still love him. A breed doesn't make a dog bad, but its owner can make it vicious.

I absolutely love dogs! The fact that they're just nothing but bundles of love and joy just makes them more like-able than people to me. *Shrug* I have this little off white fluff ball! She's always so happy to see me and just an extremely happy dog in general!

Edited by ViperSwan