On 2/27/2018 at 7:28 PM, Sesshomaru said:

Homeward-Bound-The-Incredible-Journey-im

Tell me I'm not the only one who remembers the 1993 Homeward Bound? (Ignore the cat.)

I wanted to post a pictue of achihuahua but this picture was already in my reply box

Dogs are amazing! The girl I posted about many, many years ago on this forum (maybe 9 years ago, she was already 5-6 at the time) is still alive and doing very well! She was a rescue, emaciated, hips and ribs all poking out. Scared, unfriendly, horrible bill of health, but full of potential. She's at least 14 years now, still jumps around like a puppy. Loves the family, now, despite her rough beginning (untrained, left on the street). Due to her breed, she will always have the skinny legs, but the rest of her is filled out, and she is maintaining a normal weight. Her only problem is a little arthritis (and a fear of the veterinarian's office - how does she KNOW?). Of course I won't withhold a picture of this wonderful little trooper!

(Mommy, I rolled over! Give belly rubs now? Now? Ok, you took the picture...now?!)

SYbi7RX.jpg

Oh my have a 14 year old pup he is a border collie blue heeler mix looks like his dad an has his moms short fur lol. Love him to peices an he is very smart loves helping us out if he can.😍

i love dogs beyond almost anything... my two weenies are my best friends!! they are mini dachshunds named stella and diesel, stella is 9 and a red colour, and diesel is an 8 yr old dapple. (-: they are my furry children.

49 minutes ago, StormBirdRising said:

Keep Smiling :)

keep smiling.jpg

Beautiful smile:D

Gave my dog a bath recently, in the kitchen sink because it's too hard for my mom to bend down to do it in the bathtub and I thought I'd need help holding him. Nope, he was surprisingly calm! Wasn't too keen on the towel-drying though. This is the first time I've taken off his collar in forever, he looks so strange without it!

Image may contain: dog

Image may contain: 1 person, dog

I am more a cat person but we have one dog but we are getting another dog in the beginning of october. so we are excited about it 

2 hours ago, Flamekitty48 said:

I am more a cat person but we have one dog but we are getting another dog in the beginning of october. so we are excited about it 

Congrats! Do you know which dog yet, or is it just planned to get a dog at that point?

We're also looking into getting our second dog soon. We have to wait until we buy a house first, which will hopefully only take a few more months (fingers crossed!). But of course we're looking at the dogs in nearby rescues already... :rolleyes:

On 9/12/2018 at 12:28 PM, hazeh said:

Congrats! Do you know which dog yet, or is it just planned to get a dog at that point?

We're also looking into getting our second dog soon. We have to wait until we buy a house first, which will hopefully only take a few more months (fingers crossed!). But of course we're looking at the dogs in nearby rescues already... :rolleyes:

Yes we are getting another Pooton. ahh well that is understandable though so it gives more the dog that space and running of that high energy 

My family has an elderly standard poodle who will turn 13 in December. He was just examined throughoutly for tumors, abnormal blood values and the like this autumn because he'd lost quite a bit of weight. Against my expectations the results came back okay - his blood values were actually better than average. The weight loss ended up being attributed to loss of muscle, with maybe joint pains and sensitivity in teeth adding to it too (he refuses to eat hard, dry kibble). He's on pain killers now and has been feeling much better, at least judging by how he's returned to moving more briskly and flexibly. My mother is also monitoring his eating carefully and adjusting the food if necessary to make sure he doesn't lose any more weight. His current weight is apparently still okay for an elderly dog, even if he is quite skinny.

I'm really hoping he'll live to see at least a couple more Christmases. He's the sweetest old dog and I love him.

Edited by Nagapie

We adopted another dog yesterday!! Her name is Frida, after Frida Kahlo since she came from Mexico. She's super sweet and gets along so well with our dog Bowie. I'm still anxious about having a new dog especially since we have to keep her separate from the cats for the time being, but hopefully she'll learn to live with them too. 

Edited by hazeh

@hazeh Oh my gosh I love them both! Frida is so pretty and Bowie's blue eye is really cool... How did you end up getting a dog all the way from Mexico? I know the stressful feeling of bringing a new dog home but they always settle in eventually and then you're so glad you adopted them. Does she chase the cats or is the separation just a precaution? 

10 hours ago, Aqub said:

@hazeh Oh my gosh I love them both! Frida is so pretty and Bowie's blue eye is really cool... How did you end up getting a dog all the way from Mexico? I know the stressful feeling of bringing a new dog home but they always settle in eventually and then you're so glad you adopted them. Does she chase the cats or is the separation just a precaution? 

Yeah they're both lookers!! :D 

We live in Southern California, and we traveled to San Diego to go meet dogs at a rescue down there. They sometimes get dogs in from Mexico and also dogs rescued from the meat trade in Thailand, or pull dogs from kill shelters. She was a stray on the streets of Mexico but was super friendly and sweet. She actually wasn't even on our original list of dogs to meet-- we had gone through them all (there was one we wanted to adopt but he ended up having behavioral problems we didn't feel comfortable addressing ourselves) and we had seen a different family bring her out to meet, and I saw her and thought "oh she's cute, and she's so friendly..." So we ended up meeting her and it was love at first lick :D 

And yeah, I get incredibly stressed out/ overwhelmed/ anxious about it. I got that way with our first dog Bowie because we adopted him from a shelter and had no idea what his history was like or if he was good with cats. I thought that the rescue we were going to in San Diego were all fostered, but apparently they had a shelter-like situation where the dogs live in kennels on site, which I didn't realize until after we got there to meet the dogs. They didn't know her history with cats, but they "cat tested" her before we adopted her by bringing her into a room with the resident cat to see how she reacted. They put the cat right at eye level in front of her, and she saw it and looked away kind of like she was nervous and then didn't pay any more attention to it, so I thought that meant she would do well (our other dog reacted similarly to the cats when we brought him home-- fearful and avoidant). So we brought her home and one of the cats was out and about, and at first she reacted the same; nervous, walked away from him, head/tail down, and the same when she came across the other cat. But then later she saw the first cat and chased after him, so I'm not sure if it was play-oriented or if she was just super hyper/ stressed or what. She seems to be very playful but I don't know her cues well enough to tell yet. We're going to be taking the actual introductions slower and keeping them separate while she settles into the home, and we switch them back and forth between areas so they can all get used to each other's scent. Then we will show her the cats while she's on leash to keep her controlled. She doesn't really know discipline yet so that probably doesn't help lol. 

I guess that was a silly question, of course you would live near Mexico or at least adopted her near the border if she came from there. ^_^ It's so nice that that rescue helps dogs from other countries, too. 

Aww haha, the fact that you weren't even planning on getting her just shows that it's fate! 

I get the same way about adopting new dogs. Earlier this year I had wanted a dog for three months, but when my family finally got one I spent the first 3 days so overwhelmed that I felt consistently sick... Everything with that dog and the next dog turned out alright though, so maybe in the future I won't have the same problem. *Crosses fingers* 

Regardless of where they come from you can be surprised by their behavior and their feelings about cats. Of our last four dogs, two came from foster homes, one spent 3 months in a kennel at a shelter, and one just showed up as a stray at our house. The only one of those four to chase the cats (and he did it for a long time being a bad mannered little terrier) was one that came from a foster home. When you take him to new places he gets scared and calms down so we never knew his real personality despite going to meet him before adopting. :rolleyes: 

Your plan to slowly introduce Frida to the cats sounds like it should work out fine, and hopefully she's just nervous or playful. I think that could be the case and when she gets more comfortable in her new home, she'll recognize that the cats are friends and belong there, too. You obviously know what you're doing when it comes to training dogs so I'm sure she'll turn out great, but good luck anyway! :D I hope Frida lives a long, happy life in her new home with you!

Thank you @Aqub!! :D I hope everything goes smoothly! We found out last night that she eats clothes... :unsure: She also has destroyed a lot of Bowie's toys that he's had for the past two years and like...consumed the pieces she tore off. So we're going to the pet store today to try and find her less destructible toys 😅

I have a black and brown chihuahua. She's adorable. Her name is Maia. She's elderly now (we got her when she was a pup though) but still acts like a baby!

thumbnail.jpg

I miss my dog so much. He was kinda dumb but had a huge personality. Sometimes he'd run really fast and slide right at the door. I will probably get a dog when I move out.