On 2/21/2018 at 4:55 PM, hazeh said:

Bowie got his pictures taken at his vet for Valentine's Day! He was boarded there over the weekend, and when we picked him up the girls up front surprised us with these pictures. He's such a ham!

That face! WHAT A GOOD BOY OMG. AND THAT NAME. ;) This just made my day so much better.

On 2/25/2018 at 4:41 AM, Earth Gurl said:

That face! WHAT A GOOD BOY OMG. AND THAT NAME. ;) This just made my day so much better.

What's funny is I happened to look at the webpage of a nearby shelter the other day, and one of their available dogs was named Bowie and had the same eye colors as my dog. We almost convinced ourselves to go meet him (we would have renamed him David or ziggy/starman). Unfortunately we can't have more than one dog right now, but when we get a house our boy will get a buddy! 

He's the biggest goof I know. He just climbed on top of me in bed and is trying to mimic the cat by curling up on my side (60 lbs of solid dog is not easy to breathe under, let me just tell you...).

[snipped attachment for space]

Edited by hazeh

4 hours ago, hazeh said:

What's funny is I happened to look at the webpage of a nearby shelter the other day, and one of their available dogs was named Bowie and had the same eye colors as my dog. We almost convinced ourselves to go meet him (we would have renamed him David or ziggy/starman). Unfortunately we can't have more than one dog right now, but when we get a house our boy will get a buddy! 

He's the biggest goof I know. He just climbed on top of me in bed and is trying to mimic the cat by curling up on my side (60 lbs of solid dog is not easy to breathe under, let me just tell you...).

Oh my goodness I didn't realize he was odd-eyed! That's so funny. XD My bf and I want an odd eyed Aussie and we were going to name him Bowie as well. Omg so sweet. I want to squish him. <3 <3 We're also thinking about adopting a male and female and naming them Forrest and Jenny. We have to wait until we have a large enough yard until we get a dog. We hopefully want them to be exclusively outdoors because we already have a cat, and she's not really compatible with other animals. We love her though. :) We are 100% sure we want to adopt though.

tbh your dog is one of the prettiest and most photogenic dogs I've ever seen c:

On 2/25/2018 at 12:21 PM, Earth Gurl said:

Oh my goodness I didn't realize he was odd-eyed! That's so funny. XD My bf and I want an odd eyed Aussie and we were going to name him Bowie as well. Omg so sweet. I want to squish him. ❤️ ❤️ We're also thinking about adopting a male and female and naming them Forrest and Jenny. We have to wait until we have a large enough yard until we get a dog. We hopefully want them to be exclusively outdoors because we already have a cat, and she's not really compatible with other animals. We love her though. :) We are 100% sure we want to adopt though.

tbh your dog is one of the prettiest and most photogenic dogs I've ever seen 😄

Hahaha it's a perfect name for odd eyes! His shelter name was Chuckie and I was all, uh, no. Haha. Bowie is actually part Aussie! We had a DNA test done (I got it for free since I worked at an animal clinic) and he's a quarter German Shepard, and I guess like 12% Aussie, 12% heeler, and 12% Rottweiler. The rest is too mixed to tell. He's so smart though! He was supposedly found on the street and wasn't neutered yet (estimated at 5 years old) but he was house trained and knew some commands already. Has pretty good manners, though he is stranger shy. But he picks up on new tricks so fast, it blows my mind. Like, I taught him how to spin around in twenty minutes. o_o

Forrest and Jemmy would be awesome names. Do you live in an area that has extreme climates though? I worry about exclusively outdoor dogs with heat or frost/snow. 

And awww thank you. I agree, he's such a pretty boy. Here's another pic lol We put fairy wings on him at work, and he was not amused. 

Edited by hazeh

4 minutes ago, hazeh said:

Hahaha it's a perfect name for odd eyes! His shelter name was Chuckie and I was all, uh, no. Haha. Bowie is actually part Aussie! We had a DNA test done (I got it for free since I worked at an animal clinic) and he's a quarter German Shepard, and I guess like 12% Aussie, 12% heeler, and 12% Rottweiler. The rest is too mixed to tell. He's so smart though! He was supposedly found on the street and wasn't neutered yet (estimated at 5 years old) but he was house trained and knew some commands already. Has pretty good manners, though he is stranger shy. But he picks up on new tricks so fast, it blows my mind. Like, I taught him how to spin around in twenty minutes. o_o

Forrest and Jemmy would be awesome names. Do you live in an area that has extreme climates though? I worry about exclusively outdoor dogs with heat or frost/snow. 

And awww thank you. I agree, he's such a pretty boy. Here's another pic lol We put fairy wings on him at work, and he was not amused. 

We live in the South US. I grew up with dogs exclusively outside (we wouldn't get one that needs constant attention or that needs to be inside) and we wouldn't chain them. We typically want tons of land for them to run, fences, and perhaps some sheeps for them to mess with. The dogs that we had had a shelter (like large dog house deal, we called it a doggie condo) and access to a pond and constant drinking water. We would definitely let them in during significant weather events. :) 

My shop dog, Tango, is the closest I have to a dog of my own right now.

I spend more time in other people's houses taking care of theirs when they travel!

14291730_10154644251334739_4553842099471

And yes, that is a cat behind her, Whiskey. We recently added Foxtrot into the mix, but I have no photos of him yet (very shy pup!).

Here is my dog! His name is Ranger.

I had fun the day we had solar eclips. He looks so cute in them. 

20170821_172343.jpg

On 2/22/2018 at 5:55 AM, hazeh said:

Bowie got his pictures taken at his vet for Valentine's Day! He was boarded there over the weekend, and when we picked him up the girls up front surprised us with these pictures. He's such a ham!

IMG_2582.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

What an adorable girl giving some lovely smiles.

I like cats and dogs and all animals, but there is something fascinating about the military dogs that have been used throughout history, even in ancient times. I call them the dogs of war. I have met many of them and their handlers, who are usually inseparable and consider them to be heroes. Here is a picture of US Army Rangers with their war dog as night falls.

army rangers and war dog.jpg

Retired war dog, Uli. When they are too old to serve, or injured, war dogs receive retirement and are placed in good homes with loving families. If their handler survives, they can be adopted by the handler. If their handler predeceases them they are usually adopted by the handler's family or friends upon retirement.

retired war dog Uli.jpg

23 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

Retired war dog, Uli. When they are too old to serve, or injured, war dogs receive retirement and are placed in good homes with loving families. If their handler survives, they can be adopted by the handler. If their handler predeceases them they are usually adopted by the handler's family or friends upon retirement.

retired war dog Uli.jpg

Salute to this brave dog.

1 minute ago, ravenor said:

Salute to this brave dog.

These are nice dogs. I have never seen one in person but I have heard a lot about him. 

Recently bought my doggie a little hoodie thing (after swearing I'd never be one of those people who dresses up their dog) because he seemed a little cold one day and he doesn't exactly have lots of fur to keep him warm. 

101_7240.jpg

He loooooves riding in the car, he sits on the middle thing (I don't know car terminology, we call it his 'perch') and always looks so happy! 

101_7254.jpg

This is Kenny! Or Sir Kenneth. 

He’s a mixed breed, rescued from Coober Pedy along with a single sister (who’s been adopted by someone else). He’s a bit out of our league but I love him very much <3 Also he talks a lot.

24RMZqO.jpg

Homeward-Bound-The-Incredible-Journey-im

Tell me I'm not the only one who remembers the 1993 Homeward Bound? (Ignore the cat.)

@Sesshomaru Funny you posted that, it's on my to-do list to rewatch that tomorrow! It's 25-year anniversary was earlier this month so I've seen seeing stuff about it. It's on Netflix.

Oh my god, Homeward Bound! I used to love that movie so much! It made me cry like a baby. Aren't dogs just the greatest things ever? 

We took Bowie to a new dog park the other day, and he had a blast! He ended up falling asleep on the dog divider in the car on the way home. 

[snipped attachments for space]

Edited by hazeh

I've never been fond of dogs, never wanted one, love cats, but then...

I volunteered at a humane society and accidentally picked up a "Chiweenie" - never heard of them - and now my beloved boy, Willoughby, has the run of the house.  He doesn't bark much, but pees everywhere.  He's got short-to-no hair everywhere except around his head so he looks like a little lion sitting there, and those sweet eyes, and the constantly wagging tail... can't believe I lived without him so long.  

I had to click on this thread when I saw the title... I just love dogs, could not live without my own. I have a mixed breed named Starla. She is (we think) part Border Collie and part Belgian Shepherd.

I had a dog that saved my life. My blue heeler attacked and killed a brown snake I was about to tread on right near my house. I was only about 4 and we lived a long way from a hospital so I probably wouldn't have survived if it had bitten me. He lived to 12 years old but had cancer.