Ermagerd, Sprockers are not desinger dogs, Here's a quote from their official website

'If it's not a recognised breed is the Sprocker a "Designer Dog"?

Most definitely not! Sprockers have been bred for many, many years by gamekeepers to produce a versatile, dual purpose working dog and neither it is cross breed as both parents are types of Spaniels.'

Well, I've always liked Irish Wolf Hounds..Even though I'm more of a cat-person. : P Huskies are really cool too.

Ermagerd, Sprockers are not desinger dogs, Here's a quote from their official website

'If it's not a recognised breed is the Sprocker a "Designer Dog"?

Most definitely not! Sprockers have been bred for many, many years by gamekeepers to produce a versatile, dual purpose working dog and neither it is cross breed as both parents are types of Spaniels.'

Being that it isn't a recognized breed, I'm still going to consider it one regardless of what they say. It still falls into all the things I don't like about them, such as no breed direction. If that is the dogs intended purpose -- a versatile dual purpose working dog, then they could easily formulate a real breed out of it if people put in the direction and were actually breeding F2s and such, but no one is.

With working dogs things are a little different and they should be judged differently, I'll admit. But if they're selling them as companion dogs, and not as dogs aimed at the working market, then I feel like it still falls under this umbrella.

I have a 30 lb. 13 inch Beagle who is the quietest and the sweetest thing on four legs. He's a rescue and we are his third family and he's come a long way since we got him. We also have three cats, any one of whom will insitgate a fight.

I want one of these!!

user posted image

I've had danes for over 20 years. Love them dearly, but I won't have another. Not for a while anyways. We euthanized our 8 year old dane, Hannah, on July 1st. I've just dealt with so much heartache owning them. They truly are a heartbreak breed. Health problems, temperament problems..and they are EXPENSIVE to own. I'm not rich by any means, but spending $300 a month on special diet and medications for her various issues certainly didn't help. That figure is not including her vet appts, chiropractic appointments and other sudden needs that cropped up due to her problems. (That's not to say she wasn't worth it...she totally was worth every penny.)

They are not for the faint of heart. I wish it were different, but greedy people and unethical breeders certainly have made a mess out of my favorite breed. sad.gif

My sweet girl, when she was younger:

user posted image

And in keeping with the spirit of the thread, here is my other dog, Corvus (the one in my avatar):

user posted image

And as of October 27th, we are a two dog household again. Meet Ditto, our American Pit Bull Terrier. She is a doll:

user posted image

user posted image

I also have cats too, even though I am primarily a dog person.

Edited by danegrrrl

I love dogs (and animals in general), despite being allergic to them :<

I have what we think (family nor vets are entirely sure) a border collie/australian shepherd mix named Mallory.

This is the 'professional' picture of her from before we adopted her. biggrin.gif

user posted image

I have an American Eskimo. He's white, fluffy, and extremely full of himself. laugh.gif I've had Eskies for a long time and will probably always own one.

Cats and dogs, I love them both. They should be best friends...

I've always wanted a dog and a cat. I absolutely adore Charles Spaniels (is that what they're called?) for some reason.

BTW, is chocolate lethal to dogs? Apparently they can't digest chocolate...

I love dogs (and animals in general), despite being allergic to them :<

I have what we think (family nor vets are entirely sure) a border collie/australian shepherd mix named Mallory.

This is the 'professional' picture of her from before we adopted her. biggrin.gif

user posted image

she definitely looks like a Shgepherd

I'll soon share my life again with a Border Collie Girl

I have an adult female piebald pattern white blue merle Australian Shepherd named Darling (AKC), and a male red tri Australian Shepherd puppy named Jim Dear (ASCA). Darling herds cattle and chickens on the farm, and Jim Dear will too when he grows up. Darling was only $500 (despite both parents having been heavily ribboned in Herding and Agility), because she is a mismark (white splashes on her body), and can never be in a confirmation show. Jim Dear was $400. He was honestly a steal. He has good parentage, is fully registered, and is show quality, but we are friends with the breeder, and she loves us and knows how great Darling has been taken care of and trained, so she cut us a deal.

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by unforgotten13

I used to have a rescued Ibizan Hound, but he died in March, so.....yeah.

If I get another dog, though, I'm leaning more towards a shepherd breed.

I got an Swedish Vallhund laugh.gif Her name is Sandy,she is 12 years old,got her ups and downs,because of her age,but nothing major wink.gif

user posted image

Guys, I need some advice.

Two years ago, my grandmother passed away from lung cancer. My grandfather was left alone with two Cocker Spaniels. He lives just below us but his constant company were his two dogs, Fifi, a male, and Sugar, a female.

Fifi and Sugar both suffered from cancer as well, and my grandfather put Fifi to sleep before Sugar, since he had a huge tumor in his throat. We have them cremated in our home.

My grandfather is a huge dog lover- he can't live without dogs. And, since Fifi and Sugar were his only constant company, he obviously started to look for a replacement.

We went through various stages. First, he set his basic standards. He wanted a purebred male unneutered puppy for under two thousand dollars from a reliable and responsible back yard breeder. Then, he chose a breed. First he wanted a russet and black German Sheperd, which was impossible to find under two thousand since that color combination is rare. Then, we searched for a white Golden Retriever. This was difficult to find, but we found a nice breeder that lived in Honeybrook, PA.

We fell in love with a five month old pup named Orange Boy and we took him home. We renamed him Socrates and admired him greatly. My grandfather was no longer alone.

A few months later, my grandfather met with a friend that was moving to Florida. He had a two year old Siberian Husky female named Shadow. His friend wanted to give Shadow away because he knew that huskies do not do well in hot climates. My grandfather took her in in August. We renamed her Athena.

We were planning on getting her spayed. My grandfather did not want to neuter Socrates because he was afraid that he would get fat. However, Athena was skinny (and we think she was abused) and he thought that it would be for the best that she got operated.

Though she went in heat too soon. She got her period the next month and we were worried that Socrates would get her pregnant. They were both under constant supervision by my grandfather. However, Socrates was six months old at the time and did not know what to do. So, Athena started to mount him and later on got him to mate with her. My grandfather tried to separate them but they were already stuck together. This was in October.

A month later we saw no change, but it was last month that we noticed. Her teats began to swell and she was getting fat. At first we ignored it, thinking that her appetite was growing and we were happy. I was suspicious, however. I was the one who said we should take her to the vet.

We went to the vet on Friday and found out that Socrates had gotten her pregnant. She is going to have more than five pups and she is expected to whelp this week.

I, a wanna be veterinarian, have to be taking her temperature every three hours.

However, I am confused. If her temperature falls below one hundred degrees (because I know that a normal dog temperature is 102.8 or around there) she is going to whelp that day, right?

I am also worried of the sizes of the dogs. Athena has whelped before with a Pitbull, which is a large dog. I know that if the sire is larger than the dam, she requires a c section. Socrates is only a tiny bit bigger than Athena. Do you think she needs a c section?

Also, do you have any advice you can give me?

Before you say anything, NO, I am not a back yard breeder, this was a complete accident. We were being responsible pet owners and planning on getting Athena operated, but things happen.

And no, she is not going to make a mutt breed.

These are pictures of Goberians, they're so cute.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out...=l&tid=36141875

user posted image

I think that the pups will most likley take on the shape and size of the sire, so I think it's the picture above?

The pups will be nursed for three months as needed and given to trustworthy friends that live nearby. This is a must because we were planning on visiting every so often to see if they are treated well.

We are also keeping one for ourselves.

Please? Advice? I'm nervous.

There's not too much size difference between a golden and a huskie, so that shouldn't present a problem. Do monitor her, though, because if she starts to struggle you will need an emergency vets trip.

Cross-breed pups can have characteristics from either parents. You could get pups that look extremely husky, or pups that look very retreiver. Or anything in between. That said, I do hate to tell you, she *is* going to have mutts. The fact that the names of the parent breeds can be stuck together doesn't make the babies pedigree. They're still mongrel however nice the portmanteaux name is. Anything not purebred is a mutt.

Once the pups arrive I would advise weighing them every day. You'll notice a change on the scales much quicker than you will by eye or by hand - and a pup that's failing to gain weight, or worse starts losing it, needs to see the vet. Early action *will* save lives.

FYI (though I know there *are* people that would disagree with me) neutering a male dog won't automatically make him fat. Over feeding and under excercise makes dogs fat, not neutering. Our Labrador is nearly 3 and was neutered at 6 months old. He's an ideal healthy weight for a Lab, and in much better shape than some entire males that don't have their diets controlled properly (the Lab the won his Group in Crufts this time around made me cringe - very overweight!).

Thank you, Tik!

So, would that make Goldendoodles and Cockapoos mutts too?

Also, about the temperature thing. If her temp drops below one hundred, she'll birth that day, right?

Also, I am about to take her temp right now. The previous time I took her temp she was at 100.2.

Thank you, Tik!

So, would that make Goldendoodles and Cockapoos mutts too?

Also, about the temperature thing. If her temp drops below one hundred, she'll birth that day, right?

Also, I am about to take her temp right now. The previous time I took her temp she was at 100.2.

I'm afraid I don't know about the temperature thing - I always just calculated days from day of mating and was on watch that entire week.

But, yeah. Cockapoos, goldendoodles.... they're all mutts. Very nice mutts, but still mutts. None of them are recognised breeds, because you can't guarentee consistancy in a litter.

Yep, any result from a crossbreeding is known as a mutt. One of our own dogs we know her exact parentage, though she is still a mutt. One of our friends breeds Australian Shepherds, and her husband bred Jack Russel Terriers. One of her dogs had had puppies the year before and was supposed to be having a break that year, well, she apparently didn't want that as she managed to escape and met up with one of his dogs. We got one of the resulting puppies, who looks just like a Jack Russel, but with an Australian Shepherd coloration. Essentially both parents are well bred purebreeds, but because they are different breeds she is a mutt.

Dogs with a name like "cockapoo" and "goldendoodle" and just excuses to charge pedigree prices for non-pedigree dogs.

Ah, I understand. Thank you.

Her temperature is 98.7 and she is trembling in our closet and nesting. I think there's going to be pups today.

I also heard that if she's having difficulties, I should call the cops if I have no way to get to the vet. Is this true?

DACHSHUNDS FTW

I adore long-haired dachshunds!

However, my absolute favourite breed is a border collie. They're definitely a handful though, the one we have now, Moneypenny, will whine until we take her down to the beach and hurl a ball around for a couple of hours.