AngelArtist

Have You Heard of/Do You Have This?

Have you heard of synesthesia? Do you know someone with synesthesia?  

377 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Brett- very dark green and earthy brown

Alissa- pale yellow and light green

Jessica- black and pink

@amerylis: I haven't read that book, but it seems very interesting! Maybe I'll read it when I have time ^~^ if you've read "A Mango-Shaped Space" or "The Name of this Book is Secret", there are characters in both books with synesthesia and I find it absolutely fascinating, especially the way it can effect peoples' lives.

Sure i'll bite. My first name is Brett. Whats my color?

Navy blue or orange.

And out of curiosity of comparison to her colours, what are Alissa and Jessica?

Alissa is sherbet colors -- bright but soft green-yellows and orange-yellows. Summer colors.

Jessica is blue and purple, with hints of orange-yellow thrown in. Colors that you would find in a Hot Topic store.

Edited by Drer'Ahv

Heard quite a bit about it, really interesting stuff. I don't have it though.

I also heard about a freerunner with synesthesia who would see potential obstacles and landing zones tinted blue. The sight of a common object that was something he knew he could get over using parkour was associated with color, it sounded pretty cool.

I'm honestly not sure whether or not I have it. I don't have any color, taste, or smell mixups- but I have always automatically personified numbers, which I have heard is a form of synesthesia. For example, I've always thought of nine as being pompous and kind of a wannabe ten ^^; hehe, yeah, I know I'm weird. I also personify inanimate objects, which is why I have about a million and a half stuffed animals. I can't bring myself to curse them to life in some landfill sad.gif

I clicked the "haven't heard of it" option before I recognised the word. I read a book

once about a girl with synesthesia.

A Mango Shaped Space?

/I know this post is old. ._.

I really would like to have this. Just sounds interesting and considering the music I listen to, I wonder if it'd effect that?

Sounds in general don't really show colors for me, but the one instrument that is different is a drum/percussion instrument. Instead of a ribbon of color, I see a hazy red/purple/yellow circle (depending on the instrument being used.

Evangeline is a warm yellow color :3

Evangeline? Hard to tell, but I think brown/pink.

Cool

Thanks for both your answers.

Edited by evangeline5432

Wow, I haven't heard of this before reading this whole thread, but now that I have, I find this very interesting....I've experienced something like it before, but only a couple times. I "felt" certain scents, and when I experience that scent again, later on, I get the same feeling. Mostly, it's unpleasant. Makes me uncomfortable. I just thought I was crazy. xd.png

And it's not really scents like sweet, or like food, it's weird scents.

May I ask, but what do you see for Yana?

Edited by mikilaapplep

Oh wow, I have this and I never even knew it had a name! I associate colors with names; I actually thought it was something normal that happened to everyone. Learn something new everyday. (:

Julianna, what's mine?

also have you seen the anime Canaan? I know it's inaccurate as far as synthenasia goes, but it's really neat how they use it for the plot device in it.

neat. Is it sort of easy to tell what color a name is or do you have to look at it for a little bit?

err could someone explain this in more detail? or in simple terms?

I can wrap my mind around Einsteins theories but im having trouble understanding this

For me, it's not "noise" that gives me the colors. It's music, names, or voices, so school assemblies were HORRIBLE for me, especially when no one would stop talking! The colors of the voices around me would get very bright and intense, and the farther away voices would get smushed together into one big blob of color, and if I was too tired that day, I wouldn't be able to ignore it (which is what I usually do), and I would end up with a pounding headache that would last for hours Dx thankfully, I am now in a private Catholic high school, and people actually stop talking when a teacher starts talking, but lunch can still be an issue, especially if I'm tired or upset.

Oh, thanks for kind of explaining it. I was a bit confused as to that aspect.

I've read "A Mango-Shaped Space"- I think that's where I first heard of this, as a matter of fact. I find it kind of fascinating, actually, and I would like to know more about it.

Although I'm not sure if I clinically have this, I associate colors with practically everything. People, names, music, dances, games, everything. I've never thought it was something I could have, but who knows. I'll look this up in more detail.

Apparently my friend has this. Myself, I attach colors to voices.

I'm not sure if that is this, or if it is just a side effect of too many graphic novels. XP

Wikipedia says personification is also synesthesia. That I definitely do. Numbers have personalities for me, most prominently.

By the way, I have more advanced things with colors too. For instance, A is red, a bright, toybox red. The waltz step exercise I do in dance class is a slightly clear midnight blue in a glass like form with little gold specks (very pretty). Letters, um, A-red. You know this. B-Blue. Also toybox blue. C- teal/sea-green. When ABC, and just that, is put together, it is yellow, because the other two are primary colors and it feels weird otherwise. D is a dark brownish purple. E is white, tinged slightly blue. F is orange, kinda yellowish. G is green. H is a brownish red. Um, I would write more, but I don't feel like it xd.png.

Hmm, now that I read your explanation, I have heard of it.

I think that would be cool, to see music as colors. I don't.

And names too. How about Athena-Lee? Or even just Athena if you can't do my full name.

I might have it. But I'm not sure.

Would attaching colors to faces count? Like siblings would be green, mothers would be warm purple, fathers midnight blue?

Yeah I heard of it. It's an awesome song by Porcupine Tree. It's really trippy. 8)

But that aside, I heard of it, but I don't have it. Sounds like a really trippy thing to experience.

Something additional about the synthesia I have is that sounds and voices often have imagery attached to them. My Hiding Place by Casey LaLonde looks like a boy siting in the grass gazing up at the stars as the sun is just setting on some alien planet to me. After the first 60 seconds, however, this image dissolves and I'm left with a visual jumble much like you would get in Windows Media Player of yellows, reds, and beiges.

Also, I tend to picture certain sounds as colors. An impressive explosion, for instance, alternates really fast between a whiter than white color and a voidcolor, though once the initial explosion is done it's just the voidcolor switching out with black. High-pitched voices are sherbet pink and sherbet lime-yellow, while deep male voices are any range of dark colors such as navy blue or dark green. Generally, the deeper the sound and the more bass it has, the darker the color. The higher the sound the lighter the color.

Edited by Drer'Ahv

Something additional about the synthesia I have is that sounds and voices often have imagery attached to them. My Hiding Place by Casey LaLonde looks like a boy siting in the grass gazing up at the stars as the sun is just setting on some alien planet to me. After the first 60 seconds, however, this image dissolves and I'm left with a visual jumble much like you would get in Windows Media Player of yellows, reds, and beiges.

Also, I tend to picture certain sounds as colors. An impressive explosion, for instance, alternates really fast between a whiter than white color and a voidcolor, though once the initial explosion is done it's just the voidcolor switching out with black. High-pitched voices are sherbet pink and sherbet lime-yellow, while deep male voices are any range of dark colors such as navy blue or dark green. Generally, the deeper the sound and the more bass it has, the darker the color. The higher the sound the lighter the color.

So I'm not alone in full scenes and such? xd.png

Still Alive (yes, the song about... well, pretty much, murder) is... very pleasant. Very pastel green grass, blue sky, sunlight, even little red flowers. It's pretty much how a kid might draw a spring day.

There's a few others like that, I'll need to find them...

Whoa, I have this but never realised it had a name (or that this topic existed).

It's mostly numbers have colours that have colours for me and a few words. My own name is a sort of golden browny orange.