AngelArtist

Have You Heard of/Do You Have This?

Have you heard of synesthesia? Do you know someone with synesthesia?  

377 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One other thing is that I hear colors... twice it has happened to me. Both at night after I woke up from a dream. I hear this quiet noise that sounds like a large beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep (That continues for a looooong time) And it keeps getting louder and louder, and then I run to my parents and bring them up to my room and they don't hear it... but I do... then finally after burning my eyes out ._. it goes away... so does anyone know if any of those cases are synesthesia? I think synethesia sounds really cool though smile.gif

That... actualy sounds more like tinitus than anything else. Unless that sound connects to a specific colour, and happens every time you see it?

Kelvin- bright orange

Michelle- teal blue

Kayla- hot pink and chocolatey brown

Lexi- baby pink

Alexis- dark pink and blue

Kelsey- lavender purple

Grayson- stormy blue

Tobey- olive green

@Psykotika: It is possible for someone to "lose" their synesthesia, but that only happens temporarily and is usually caused by a tragic event or an accident, so I'm not sure what to make of your story, but it sounds to me like you have synesthesia. Again, I'm no expert, but I can make an educated inference. I also think that the smell linked with memory might be a form of synesthesia, especially if it is the same smell for the same memory each time. Again, synesthesia can be very selective, so it is possible that you do in fact have a form of synesthesia. ^~^

@Renorei: I'm sorry, but I don't see a color for Rebel, though I find it an interesting name for a child... I love unique names, though :3 if I ever have a daughter, I'd want to name her either Lyrica or Robin. I would also find it quite amusing if you were a very quiet, obedient person in real life, considering your name X3

@Mydys: Spelling doesn't change the colors drastically, like Sara and Sarah are both purple, but Sarah is a darker shade of purple than Sara.

That... actualy sounds more like tinitus than anything else. Unless that sound connects to a specific colour, and happens every time you see it?

:I Can't be a certain color because I sleep in the same room every night... (Or can it? o.o) IIRC I think that I might have had an ear infection the first time... the second time... I have no idea...

Angel and Psyko, you two didn't cheat and peek at my post on the "Favorite colors" thread, did you?

For some reason I really like earthy colors, like greens, browns, and grays.

If you didn't, then wow, that's amazing. I guess that just means that my name really fits me. :3

I am pretty synesthetic. I see math, the time, names, apperances, voices, the month, and words/letters/numbers as colors/flavors/scents. Plus I do see the year as a round clock thing. March is at 10 o'clock, but unlike yellow ten, it's dark green, like the letter R or (at the moment) the flavor of apples.

A: Dark apple green

B: blue-black

C: peachy orange

D: heathered gray

E: Creamy yellow

F: Fruity pink

G: Brown/black

H: Black/gray

I: Clear to pinkish

J: Purple

K: Dijon yellow

L: Like K, only creamier

M: Pale tomato sauce red

N: Medium green

O: dark blue

P: Tan-ish

Q: Blue-purple

R: Dark forest green

S: Tomato paste red

T: Blue-gray

U: Grey-blue-purple

V: Dark mustardy brown-yellow

W: Blue-dark violet

X: Pale gray

Y: Dark plum purple

Z: Neon dark green

...Yes... blink.gif

Edited by Milkymoon101

@_@ That. Is. Awesome!!! My mind has imploded. Mind if I ask what color my name is? My name's Monica. For me, my name is a light sea-green and lavender. ^~^ also for me, March is at about halfway between 3 and 4 o'clock, with the middle of December at approximately 12 o'clock

Heard it, don't have it. Honestly, truly, seriously don't think ~15% of the voters have it either =P

Whoa hey, put down those pitchforks! **You should be overjoyed at my revelation; this means that your ability to tie colors, scents, etc. to objects, names, etc. is purely a result of your creativity, and not because you have some crazy neurological thing going on!

Alright, maybe you do have Synesthesia. I have no foundation to argue, since most research on the condition is based on "hey do u has this?" and nothing too concrete. I guess public surveys are easier to get volunteers for than, say, exploratory brain surgery. Alas, I'm still a pessimist and don't believe Synesthesia is as prevalent as it sounds. Just people masking their own flowing creativity with a poorly-understood condition =(

** 'You' does not necessarily mean you. It may also refer to: that guy, those guys, them, or they =)

Heard it, don't have it. Honestly, truly, seriously don't think ~15% of the voters have it either =P

Whoa hey, put down those pitchforks! **You should be overjoyed at my revelation; this means that your ability to tie colors, scents, etc. to objects, names, etc. is purely a result of your creativity, and not because you have some crazy neurological thing going on!

Alright, maybe you do have Synesthesia. I have no foundation to argue, since most research on the condition is based on "hey do u has this?" and nothing too concrete. I guess public surveys are easier to get volunteers for than, say, exploratory brain surgery. Alas, I'm still a pessimist and don't believe Synesthesia is as prevalent as it sounds. Just people masking their own flowing creativity with a poorly-understood condition =(

** 'You' does not necessarily mean you. It may also refer to: that guy, those guys, them, or they =)

You do have a point there, and I respect that, though as you said, you don't really have the grounds to argue it. I admit I was a bit skeptical at first with so many people turning up and saying that they have synesthesia, since it's not a very widespread condition, but it is very possible that at least some of the people posting here legitimately do have synesthesia. And you're right, research synesthesia and what exactly causes it is very underdeveloped, so who's to say the people here don't have synesthesia? I sound a bit bipolar on this, but it's true, and I'm just trying really to prove a point, that this is kind of like research for photographic memory: hard to conduct, results can vary greatly, and it is very hard to prove whether it truly exists in the person or whether they are simply imagining things.

Though I do agree with your opinion to a certain extent and I respect that you were brave enough to post it (I wouldn't have, I'd have been afraid of negative comments and fights and such), my point of making this thread wasn't really to debate whether or not it exists, just simply to inform people and add a bit of publicity to this mostly little-known condition.

I'm not discouraging a little debate on the topic, but I do ask the debating not include any direct attacks on anyone, whether they are DragCave members, celebrities, authors, or random hobos. I also ask that should the debating turn into random, unresearched, bias opinions that it be kept to a minimum at all costs.

I told myself I wouldn't ask

But curiosity took over

D:

What are the colors of these names?

Kerstin

Elianna

Lauren

I don't have it, but it sounds like an amazing thing to have! I do, however, have an extremely wild imagination. That's what keeps me enterained. Lol.

My name's Sofie. What would be my color?

I've heard of it, but I don't have it. Sometimes I wish I did... Not for the sake of being special, mind you. But when my theory teacher talks about people he knew who had perfect pitch because they identified each different key, or different pitches, with a different color or sensation I go absolutely out of my mind with jealousy. -.- Because I can very clearly tell the difference between yellow and blue. A C major scale vs. an F major scale? Not so much.

Kerstin- deep blue and purple

Elianna- pearly pink

Lauren- sea blue and white

Sofie- soft pink and cotton candy yellow

@AngesRadieux: Yes, I've heard of synesthetic people with perfect pitch, but I unfortunately don't have completely perfect pitch, but I am quite close, because some of the colors of notes are very similar and it can be harder for me to discern between an E flat and an F, especially. And the only reason I MIGHT be able to tell an E flat major scale from an F major scale would be the fact that this is my sixth year playing the flute, so I'm a big music person X3 but that would really only be for the flute I could tell. I am a horrible pianist, so if it was a piano player doing scales, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference except for the colors of the notes, and even then I might have trouble because of the color similarities between some notes.

Elianna- pearly pink

OH YAY

BLUE'S MY FAVORITE COLOR

PURPLE IN CLOSE SECOND

SO YAAAAY

Thank you very much happy.gif

I don't think I have it.

If I concentrate a little, most words and names have colors.

MOST

Pretty much all except mine and my family's. dry.gif

Now I will list colors. ANd honestly, I was sceptical about having it at first, but evidence points to yes. Who knows really, but as I have said earlier, I complaid about St. Patricks Day being on Thursday because Thurday is blue, not green. I think it may be biological. Not only me, but my dad and sister (I dunno, my sister will lie sometimes) both associate things with colors, although mine seems the most prominent.

By the way, Monica is a medium dark, slightly reddish purple, and is practically interchangeable with the word orchid.

Anyways... Alphabet!

A: Bright red

B: Bright blue

C: Alone, greyish teal. With A and B it is yellow.

D: Black/Brown/Purple

E: Pale blue

F: Yellow orange.

G: Forest green

H: Orangy brown

I: White with a faint tinge of blue-grey

J: Orange

K: Darkish pink, almost but not quite maroon.

L: Pale pink

M: Purple

N: Purply pink

O: Dark blue - slight bit of green

P: Brighter version of o

Q: Dark cream -tinge of pink

R: Dark reddish purple

S: Sky blue, but a little duller

T: Orange, slightly brown

U: Dull dark purple

V: Normal green.

W: Bright reddish purple

X: Bright red. Like A, but a little darker.

Y: Bright yellow with a tinge of orange

Z: Like V, but a little darker, but brighter in an odd way.

Kerstin- Purpley pink

Elianna- Light blue

Lauren- Dark grey-teal.

EDIT:

Sofie: Slightly dark blue with a white pattern.

Edited by -platinum-draco-

Wow, with all these people posting here, maybe I should make a whole new thread where people with synesthesia can post the colors and such for the alphabet or numbers or names that they can think of, and maybe even songs or pitches/notes or instruments, too! ^~^

That would be cool. Maybe somewhere I should write a list of things with their colors.

Random

Ninja: Dark purple

At risk of killing the synesthetic--

"Alex"? How about "Daniel"?

I think I'm mildly synesthetic--it's not something I notice normally, but some words have colors associated with them.

"Alex" I would call a sort of medium purple. "Daniel" is a kind of orangey gold with maybe a touch of green.

Alex- forest green and silver (two of my favorite colors! ^~^)

Daniel- purple-y black

@Kazeko: "at risk of killing the synesthetic"!? You're not gonna kill me by asking what your name/your friend's name X3

Could someone do Emily please? <3

Emily is a medium to light pink ^~^ and jeez it's quiet xd.png (I'm in class and just finished taking an online test, so the teacher said that we could just do something quietly on our laptops until class is over)

I don't know if this counts, but:

A: red

B: blue

C: yellow

D: a kind of slate blue purple

E: orange

F: light green

G: dark green

H: darkish pink, red if a capital

I and J: Nearly the same shade of teal, I is more blue and J is more green

K: depending on other letters around it, lavender to dark grey-purple

L: black or navy blue. I can't quite tell the shade.

M: yellow

N: brown, but grey-black when with yellow letters

O: yellow, more orange than M

P: very strong red-pink

Q: pearly pink-orange, occasionally with blue flecks

R: red. shinier and more reflective than A.

S: creamy yellow

T: metallic blue-silver

U: grey

V: dark purple

W: dark bluish grey

X: brown

Y: waxy yellow, quite subdued

Z: dark grey to black

0: white

1: black

2: yellow

3: red

4: light green

5: dark green

6: peachy pink

7: purple or maroon

8: orange

9: dark orange, brown

Monday: yellow, if I focus on it for long enough the yellow fades and it becomes white, and blue and red bits show on it.

Tuesday: light blue

Wednesday: dark blue

Thursday: purple

Friday: green

Saturday: pale yellow, with red and purple bits

Sunday: bright, bright yellow

And when I hear music, I can 'tune in' to a kind of graph in my head that shows me the shape and co lours of what I'm hearing, but it's not actually in front of my eyes as something I can physically see. It's easier if I close my eyes.

Edited by wolfyrocker

what do these four names mean?

Parker, Kenny, Garrett, Nate, Carlye

>.>

<.<

the last one is my name, the other four are some of my friends names

What color is the name Ashley?

I do something like that with words, like, I think a word, phonetically sounds like it would mean something different.

Elianna- pearly pink

Sofie- soft pink and cotton candy yellow

@AngesRadieux: Yes, I've heard of synesthetic people with perfect pitch, but I unfortunately don't have completely perfect pitch, but I am quite close, because some of the colors of notes are very similar and it can be harder for me to discern between an E flat and an F, especially. And the only reason I MIGHT be able to tell an E flat major scale from an F major scale would be the fact that this is my sixth year playing the flute, so I'm a big music person X3 but that would really only be for the flute I could tell. I am a horrible pianist, so if it was a piano player doing scales, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference except for the colors of the notes, and even then I might have trouble because of the color similarities between some notes.

You have no idea how much I envy you... T-T Being able to discern between most notes would make dictation so much easier... My theory teacher advised us to start trying to associate colors or sensations with different chords, but my mind just doesn't grasp it. Like he tells us to feel a tickle when we hear a V7 chord, but I just don't get it. I hear a chord, and if it seems to want to resolve to I, I can sort of tell it's a V, but I have trouble distinguishing between V and V7. *sigh* If I had synesthesia, maybe I wouldn't be so afraid of failing theory because my ear's terrible...

Parker- fire engine red

Kenny- rusty red

Garrett- burnt orange

Nate- purple and black

Carlye- olive green

Ashley- very bright, shimmery pink

@AngesRadieux: ......o.O if you're talking about piano chords, I'm not much help there ^^;; I absolutely suck at the piano xd.png I can play Mary had a Little Lamb, but that's about it. Otherwise, I play flute and ocarina (ocarina is more of a hobby, though). There's a bit more to the whole color thing than you think, though. I can see color when I hear a note, but that's different from when I hear a chord or a song being played. It also depends on my level of concentration on the music; if I concentrate harder, the pitches will separate into different bands of color, but I still can't hold that for much longer than a minute, or I get a headache >.<" actually it can be pretty awesome if I'm having a good day, 'cause if I'm less tired, the color bands are much easier to separate, and it looks so pretty with the different colors!