AngelArtist

Have You Heard of/Do You Have This?

Have you heard of synesthesia? Do you know someone with synesthesia?  

377 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mm, I noticed that I posted here before and I forgot to ask: What colour does 'Kimberley' have? (I go by Kimberley, Kimmy, or Casey though.) Hope it's something nice, but if not, well, I should have seen that one coming.

Mm, I noticed that I posted here before and I forgot to ask: What colour does 'Kimberley' have? (I go by Kimberley, Kimmy, or Casey though.) Hope it's something nice, but if not, well, I should have seen that one coming.

Kimberly is light pink for me.

Cassey - cobalt blue.

The feeling of a colour to a name is faint in me, though.

I don't think I have it, and I don't know anyone who does have it.

But that's cool, being able to do that. Do you know what "Ashley" is? I'd like to tell her what color she is. xd.png

Ashley is hot pink and white (:

I might have this mildly. My brain will pick a colour when i'm talking to someone new, and that person will then be that colour. Like, if i am thinking about, say, the colour red, that person will appear in my mind. If i see a red sign or a red picture, that person/people will spring to mind. I'm not sure if it's the same thing though?

Oh, whats Amy? :3

Heh. Paine? /is shot

Anyway, I'm a sound to color one myself, mostly with singular voices or full songs. I've drawn pictures of some :>

What really gets me is how some people's voices can change- I've gone on for paragraphs on how some voice actors can have completely different colors, while some retain a constant main one, it's just the shade that changes.

Interesting on the music one - does it affect your opinion of a song or a musical instrument?

As someone who sees things when I hear noise: YES. I can't stand most techno or dance or electronica if I am not willing to look a little spaced or freaked out and/or stumble, as the fast-moving, fast-changing images and intense colors it creates frequently make me dizzy and even give me a headache. It's not true of every song, but it is definitely not a good sensation when it happens.

It also happens with live bands with a lot of instruments. I was attending a concert with, I believe, 11 kinds of noises (if you count the singers) on stage at once while getting over the flu. I actually tripped and fell down at one point I was so badly disoriented.

It also gives me an extra level of musical picky-ness, as sometimes I simply don't like the images the song is creating in my head. I sometimes watch lecture series from The Teaching Company, and one of the things that affects how much I like it tends to be the colors and patterns of the lecturer's voice.

I tend to try and suppress mine, as I find it very distracting. I am also a control freak and don't like when my body or mind does stuff without me telling it to. However if I am tired it is almost impossible to push the images away.

I might have this mildly. My brain will pick a colour when i'm talking to someone new, and that person will then be that colour. Like, if i am thinking about, say, the colour red, that person will appear in my mind. If i see a red sign or a red picture, that person/people will spring to mind. I'm not sure if it's the same thing though?

Oh, whats Amy? :3

Amy is rosy pink and gold! I'm not sure if that's synesthesia, but there're a bunch of tests you can take online to know if you have it. My flute teacher actually administered a test on me after I told her that I could remember the G scale because it was purple. Her husband was studying synesthesia and the connecting of synapses in the brain, and she figured out that's what I have!

Kimberley-banana yellow and cobalt blue

Kimmy-soft pink

Casey-sunny yellow

Has anyone else noticed things having several, distinct, colours associated with them? As in being both, say, Lime Green *and* Pink at the same time, with no blending of the two? It happens to me with some (usualy musical) sounds.

Also emotions have colours - often, because emotions are complex things, several distinct colours. Trying to explain *that* to someone when you're stressed and can't remember the *word* for the emotion is very difficult. So you respond with a colour when asked how you're feeling, which makes you even more stressed when you get 20 questions as they try to work out what you mean.

*sigh*

I think it's easier talking to another synaesthetic sometimes. At least a synaesthete will have *some* idea what you mean when you go "It's orange!" in a fit of frustration.

Do not double/triple post.

It is considered spam and isn't acceptable.

If you have more to say after your initial post (before someone else posts), please just edit your existing post. In most cases it doesn't warrant posting post after post.

<3

I've heard of synesthesia before, but I've never met anyone who actually had it! How interesting biggrin.gif

Actually, I remember reading about this somewhere else on the forums. Can't remember where though...

I don't have it, but somtimes some things remind me of other senses. Like between my two best friends and I, we call each other the Powerpuff Girls. I am the pink one, one of my friends is the green one, and the other is the blue one. The colors just fit to each other.

Ooooh, Angel, what's Rachel? And Ann?

o.O I was going to ask Anne, but I suppose that's the same as Ann.

What's Nicholas? Cameron?

Do all words have colors? If so, what's Stunningfire [or Stunning Fire]?

Sometimes (aka: very rarely), when I'm listening to a certain band, I only get one solid color. I get a dark, blood red with 30 Seconds to Mars o3o

But concerts can be interesting. I've only been to one concert (Depeche Mode ftw! :3), but that was certainly a trip. While I'm at concerts, since it's differently lighted and stuff, I SEE the colors coming from the band rather than seeing it in my mind. It was cool. But then the cheering and screaming of the fans sort of made it a bit ripply and distorted and it threw random colors in my head (sometimes there were bright neon colors D8) and it hurt my head, but it was still cool.

Techno music gives me VERY neon colors rather than normal colors, though. Like, say, I get different shades of orange for different brass instruments. If there's a brass instrument in just plain, straight techno, it's very bright and neon rather than normal. That's one reason why I hate techno.

But rock gives me more relaxed colors and it doesn't give me a headache, so that's one reason why I like rock music.

EDIT for realizing that I had already posted my case here o3o

Edited by Zeekaice

Seriously, no one answered my question. Is this literally just the mind assigning colours to certain things like names or music?

Seriously, no one answered my question. Is this literally just the mind assigning colours to certain things like names or music?

Well, all I really know is that your senses are combined. That's the best way I can explain it. I couldn't really find any articles on it...

Well, all I really know is that your senses are combined. That's the best way I can explain it. I couldn't really find any articles on it...

So it's not just about colours? In which case, I think I probably have this, lol.

I did answer your question, as it happens. You will notice on my post in the middle of page one there is an edit adressed specificaly to you by name.

... there's all kinds of synaesthesia. Pretty much any kind of sense-to-sense crossover is synaesthetic, with the exception of taste/smell which is pretty standard throughout the human race.

My friend has this, he associates people with certain scents. I wonder what color is my name, though. It's Anca. Maybe someone can tell me...?

My friend has this, he associates people with certain scents. I wonder what color is my name, though. It's Anca. Maybe someone can tell me...?

Ooooh! I like Anca! It's such a pretty shade of emerald green! biggrin.gif