AngelArtist

Have You Heard of/Do You Have This?

Have you heard of synesthesia? Do you know someone with synesthesia?  

377 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@AngelArtist

I'm talking about pretty much everything. Chords, melodic lines, scales... There are times in theory where he'll play chords and ask us to identify them, and there are also exercises where he tells us what key and meter he's in, and then plays a melodic line and expects us to notate it. And sight-singing... The bane of my existence. We get to look at a melodic line, play the scale, starting note, arpeggio, etc. and then sing the melody on sight. Ear training=death...

@AngesRadieux: O_O holy flipping pineapples that has GOT to be annoying! I'd probably be able to do that, but that doesn't mean I would like it! It's a good thing I'm trying to keep this thread PG, or else I'd be swearing like a drunken pirate! (*coughJackSparrowcough*) but is that class mandatory for you to take? 'Cause if I were you and the class was optional, I'd drop it and switch to an art class instead o-o then again, I might be bias because I personally like art better than music X3

I've heard theories that many artists who make art their lifetime pursuit or are considered "geniuses" in their field have some form, even a touch of synesthesia, probably because

1. it makes organization and memorization of sensory input easier

2. it helps you think in 'creative' ways

3. association of 'unrelated' senses is considered artistic in our society

4. it can be associated with mental diseases like schizophrenia, which many famous artists have had, and which ALSO leads to artistic output

5. people with synesthesia may try to express what they experience in ways other than talking about it, leading to artistic output

Yeah, recently on my deviantART account, I've been doing "Synesthesia art". Basically, I'll take a song I like, or one someone requests, put it on repeat and paint on dA Muro the colors and patterns of the song. Or, I'll take a name (right now I'm working on my friend's names) and write out the name in the color(s) that it has for me! I have a lot more name art pieces than song art pieces, because if I listen to one song for too long, I get a headache DX though the art looks very pretty o3o

I'm quite certain I have some degree of synesthesia. If I'm eating a certain food while a song is playing or I watch a video/visit a website, the next time I hear the song, watch the video or visit the site I kind of taste the food, for example. It's a bit hard to explain - it's not really like tasting it but the memory of the taste is so vivid that it's almost there. I suck at explaining things.

I also associate colours with tastes, and sounds/songs with colours or visual imagery in my head a lot.

I've heard of synesthesia, but I don't get how it works...I guess the only thing I can compare it to is when I hear an electricy-dubstep song and I think of the movie Tron Legacy xd.png

Oh, by the way, does the nickname "CJ" have a colour? :3

I'm pretty sure I'm not synaesthetic, but the landscape of my mind changes almost constantly and in the past there have been periods where I have had strange experiences or associations.

There was a time (I think I was about twelve) when I would describe different pains in terms of colours and patterns. If I was in pain, I could see a (usually moving) picture of what that pain was.

When I was younger, different textures had different tastes. Depending on what I felt, a taste would come into my mouth (it sometimes happened with noises too). It's become fainter over the years, and I can't really sense it any more except on the worst tastes, like rubbing velvet the wrong way.

Probably the freakiest one was around late autumn last year. I was watching QI on the telly, and they were talking about how Rimsky-Korsakov would see colours when certain chords were played. When Stephen asked what colour certain chords were after they were played, I saw much the same colours, only slightly red-influenced. The next day I was coming home on the bus (it was one of the newer "coaches", so it was a pretty relaxing ride) and listening to Muse on my mp3 player, and if I relaxed then I could feel the colours. It started to grow faint though, and by the end of the next day I couldn't see them any more.

There have been other things as well, but those three seem the most similar to synaesthesia. Although, the last one might be more to do with the psychic things that occasionally happen to me. I don't know, maybe my mind's just weird.

The mind is really weird sometimes. xd.png It sounds like you may have a touch of synesthesia based on those experiences, though.

I used to be what most people would call schizophrenic. Anti-psychotics didn't do a thing to help me but an anti-depressant cleared up all the symptoms that were bothering me in about six months. So maybe it's just that I don't think like a normal person. *shrugs*

I've heard of it and it's really interesting. I don't have it-- or at least I don't think so-- but it sounds pretty cool. And @AngelArtist having synesthesia like yours would probably kill me, because I love techno. xd.png

Anyway, does Engiype have a color? (pronounced Enn- jipe. The last part rhymes with ripe.) Thanks!

I've heard of it and it's really interesting. I don't have it-- or at least I don't think so-- but it sounds pretty cool. And @AngelArtist having synesthesia like yours would probably kill me, because I love techno. xd.png

Anyway, does Engiype have a color? (pronounced Enn- jipe. The last part rhymes with ripe.) Thanks!

En is kinda blue, dark blue, but it turns lighter with jipe, which is peachish, but gains a green tinge with en.

I've heard of it, don't think I have it, at least not in the way you described. Words and colours have no connection in my mind, but there's this weird thing I have that I've only started to notice in the past few months.

I don't really know how to explain it, but if someone, say, throws a ball, walks across the room, or pushes a book around, I kind of 'feel' the force. It only really works when something is moving, not when, say, a vase is standing on a table. I think it has something to do with the sight and sound of the object, and maybe unconscious memories of similar actions mess with my brain.

Does anyone else get something like that? I told my brother, and he said I was crazy, so I dunno xd.png

I have it, but I've never heard of it till now! Sometimes it doesn't happen and sometimes it does, it works well when I have high adrenaline. But when I'm being lazy it doesn't! I never got a chance to see my name color yet, my name is Sarah btw if someone who does have it always could tell me!

Edited by orange

colors 'pop up' when I think of certain names or numbers...I don't think that really counts. It's mostly an 'assigned' color when I think of them. Many of the names are the same color it mostly happens with my friends' names

Nicole (my name) is a sky blue color

Neko (my nickname) is teal

Alex - Dark blue with some black in it

Mom - dusty rose (which is her fave color xd.png)

Dad - green and blue

Ashley - forest green and a light brown

Ainsley - her's is strange because the colors change a lot but they're always soft colors. Must be because she's a quiet person

Zack - Black with a sometimes a bit of silver

Matt - shades of blue with a bit of pale yellow

Vincent - Gray with some red and gold

Lily - a lot of spring colors like pale greens, pinks and blues.

I also have a friend I call Axel. I love his cause it's like watching a fire. (And hes a pyro xd.png)

4 is an emerald green

6 jumps from teal to turquoise

8 is pink but only when it's alone

I don't really think I have it though. It's just colors that show up in my head when I think of the name and numbers

I think I may have developed Synesthesia; I find that whenever I eat really hot or spicy foods I think of pain and the color red, and really cold foods make me think of blue and also pain. Also, really painful experiences make me see flashes of light colors and sometimes even pitch black. It's really weird, and not very fun =(

Edited by Nine

Kinda' funny instance yesterday, with me describing the aftertaste of sugarless chocolate.

*Walking out of store*

Me: It's kind of hard to explain. Due to synes-thing-I-can-not-pronounce, the first image is yellow.

Sister: Is it astringen?

Me: I... don't know what that means.

Sister: -describes things like vinegar, ect-

Me: No. It isn't sour. Well, it's kinda' sour. It's like if you take the sour, and it goes out like - wait that doesn't work.

Now, I suppose I'll explain what the aftertaste of unsweetened chocolate.

user posted image

I have certain images that come to mind when people talk about emotions, but I don't think that counts. Like, if someone says "I'm so excited" it makes me envision a roller coaster, or when I hear "I got my feelings hurt" I picture peaches. I have no idea why, that one's kind of off the wall.

Have you done Elizabeth yet? Are colors different for shorter names, like Liz or Beth?

Platinum: Lol "syne-thingy I cannot pronounce" xd.png thank you for making me giggle~ but that's odd, never heard of chocolate having an astringent aftertaste... Maybe it was bad chocolate? Or does that happen with all chocolate?

Rainbow: I don't think I've done Elizabeth. It's blue and pale yellow, Liz is a light shimmery green, and Beth is a silky sky blue color, very pretty! ^__^

Platinum: Lol "syne-thingy I cannot pronounce" xd.png thank you for making me giggle~ but that's odd, never heard of chocolate having an astringent aftertaste... Maybe it was bad chocolate? Or does that happen with all chocolate?

Rainbow: I don't think I've done Elizabeth. It's blue and pale yellow, Liz is a light shimmery green, and Beth is a silky sky blue color, very pretty! ^__^

-Still doesn't know what astringent really means-. I don't know if it is astringent, but it was fairly high quality and unsweetened chocolate. Normal chocolate with any sugar doesn't have that aftertaste, even the really dark stuff.

Anyways, to elaborate a little more, chocolate is kinda liquid, and the aftertaste is like a cloud of yellowish gas pushing at the back of my mouth for a few seconds.

EDIT: Guess what? My sister actually managed to convey "astringent" to me. That wasn't it.

Edited by -platinum-draco-

I'm not hardwired synaesthetic, but I've had it happen in states of altered consciousness.

*Ahem* without going into the sordid details, I went through a period in my teens where I heard colours. Red screamed, Black purred, Green laughed, Blue whispered, Silver whistled.

I think everyone has the capability to blend senses, given the right circumstances.