AngelArtist

Have You Heard of/Do You Have This?

Have you heard of synesthesia? Do you know someone with synesthesia?  

377 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, so there's this thing called synesthesia, and I have 3 types of it. It's where synapses are connected in your brain, such as color and taste, or color and music. I see colors in my head for names, music, and people's individual voices. It's very interesting, not contagious, and I'm just wondering if there's anybody else in the world with synesthesia. If you have synesthesia or know someone with it, please leave a reply. Even if you don't have synesthesia and don't know anyone with it but would like to know more about it (or what color your name is) I'd be happy to provide information! First names only, please. (last names don't have color)

Hmm, music and sounds and the like tend to have textures for me, rather than colors. Sometimes they will be colored textures, but it's definitely more of a feel of the sound sort of thing. I really don't know how else to describe it.

Voices in particular do that for me. Each person I hear has a distinct sort of texture to their voice, or bring a distinct image to mind. Sometimes someone's voice will 'feel' like sand, or like tree bark, or a chalk board. The colors I get are mostly whatever you'd associate with any of those things, so yellowish for the sand and brown or gray for the bark and so on.

I'm not really sure if that's synesthesia, frankly. I'm not even sure if it's completely unconscious, or if I actually try to imagine these textures when people talk. Either way, keeps me entertained during boring classes and so on.

Spongebob has it.

/shot

No, he really does. He said "I can't smell his pulse" on one episode.

/shot

I don't have it.

Certain sights always make certain sounds involuntarily ring in my mind, so guess I have it.

Yes I have it. For me numbers have colours. Mind you my senses are seriously out of whack. Bit of a sideline with having autism.

I've heard of it before, but I don't actually have it - although some of it seems interesting, like seeing colours because you hear a sound, and it's probably very beautiful, I imagine it would be a bit of a distraction in everyday life.

Interesting on the music one - does it affect your opinion of a song or a musical instrument? Same thing goes for a person; do you ever get the impression that a person's name is a bad colour and base your opinion of them on that?

Ooooooohh.

Don't have it.

Can you tell me what color my name is though? (It's Samantha ;D )

When I hear music, in my head I see what the music would look like physically. Like, when I hear an electric guitar in a Distured song, to me it would look like a zig zag type line. So I guess. I dunno if that's the same thng though.

Yes I have it.  For me numbers have colours.  Mind you my senses are seriously out of whack.  Bit of a sideline with having autism.

Kinda this. Seems to be a high incidence of synaesthesia in spectrumites. For me it's sound/colour. Especially if it's music. You know those funky patterns Windows Media PLayer cna make when you have music on? It's pretty much like that for me all the time. Kinda cool, in a way, although very distracting if I'm drunk.

Edied to add: No, Bramblyhuck, there's all kinds of synaesthesia. Pretty much any kind of sense-to-sense crossover is synaesthetic, with the exception of taste/smell which is pretty standard throughout the human race.

Edited by TikindiDragon

Ooooooohh.

Don't have it.

Can you tell me what color my name is though? (It's Samantha ;D )

I can't really judge people on the color of their names, because I know 3 people named Katie and Katie is always bright yellow and electric blue. Also, Samantha is a lavender purple. Some names have multiple colors, and I've noticed that some names have the same color, like Alex and Sean both have moss green in them.

Heard of it, don't have it, would like to have it (or even just experience it for a little bit. But that's what drugs are for, I guess.)

I can't really judge people on the color of their names, because I know 3 people named Katie and Katie is always bright yellow and electric blue. Also, Samantha is a lavender purple. Some names have multiple colors, and I've noticed that some names have the same color, like Alex and Sean both have moss green in them.

Hate to bother you again, but what color is "Alexia" for you? :3

For me its a sort of red, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm a synesthesite or because that was my favorite color for the longest time.

Hate to bother you again, but what color is "Alexia" for you? :3

For me its a sort of red, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm a synesthesite or because that was my favorite color for the longest time.

For me, Alexia is a warm goldenrod color. And it's no bother, I actually kinda like it when people ask me what color their name is! ^-^

For me, Alexia is a warm goldenrod color. And it's no bother, I actually kinda like it when people ask me what color their name is! ^-^

What's Caitlin?

>_>

I think it'd be cool to have it, just not like that lady in House. That'd be weird.

What's Caitlin?

>_>

I think it'd be cool to have it, just not like that lady in House. That'd be weird.

Caitlin is a soft bubblegum pink. I don't think I've seen that episode of House, but I do like watching that show, even though I can't stand to even think about blood ^-^"""

What's Mak? It's what most of my friends call me. It'd be cool to get my name legally changed to it!

And no, I don't have it in any form. Every time I think of a color for a song, it's always the general color of the album art. For example, Powerslave is the color of sand tongue.gif

What's Mak? It's what most of my friends call me. It'd be cool to get my name legally changed to it!

And no, I don't have it in any form. Every time I think of a color for a song, it's always the general color of the album art. For example, Powerslave is the color of sand tongue.gif

Mak is a sandy brown, and if I could change my name, I'd probably change it to something unique, like Lyric or Willow. I also really like those colors. ^___^ (Lyric is gold and Willow is a light green)

I don't think I have it, and I don't know anyone who does have it.

But that's cool, being able to do that. Do you know what "Ashley" is? I'd like to tell her what color she is. XD

I have a very severe case of it. When I hear/see people's names, I give them a color, number, and even a sound. When I see a color, I give it a shape. When I hear a sound, I give it a picture. That's the best way to describe it. It can get really annoying for an artist to have it, like me. It screws with the colors.

I want another opinion in what color my name is, it's Susana.

And lastnames don't have coloe for you? they do for me =)

Edited by AmberEmber

I think I have it, though it's pretty... er... what's that word? Light? Not so severe?

Sometimes, some music makes me imagine this color/see it. or if I hear a certain sound, there's this color. One of the songs I play on my instrument makes me see a magenta-red-wine color. xd.png And the other makes me see a bright, baby yellow.

This other song makes me see a deep forest/olive green with a black swirly pattern on it. It's really pretty. :3

Say, what's my name-color? It's Emily, by the way.

My sister says that she tastes colors.

What color is my name? My name is Donna.

I see colors according to different instruments and other people's voices. It's a little distracting when I'm listening to music, but I still think it's cool. It's a mix-and-mingle of colors xP

Sometimes I can't see color for people's voices, and it's a tad bit rare to see colors for their voices. But, nonetheless, it's still fun.

Especially if it's music. You know those funky patterns Windows Media PLayer cna make when you have music on? It's pretty much like that for me all the time. Kinda cool, in a way, although very distracting if I'm drunk.

If I'm really tired I do that. Annoys the hell out of me as it stops me from sleeping. Having all these psychedelic patterns in mind when all I want to do is fall asleep.